Forums > Model Colloquy > Test Shoot for TF work

Model

Kelly Kooper

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Hi all,

I applied for a TF casting with a professional photographer I haven't worked with before - the brief being for a curve model shooting Boudoir. He's got some great work in his port and I thought our styles would align well.

I got a response from him a few hours later asking me to come in for a test shoot for him to determine whether we proceed to an actual shoot.

I like his work but this condition made me pause.

What are your thoughts?

Feb 29 20 07:29 pm Link

Photographer

LightEnough

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Your MM portfolio has a lot of images with plenty of variety. You don’t need to prove anything to anybody. Your gut says warning signs. Walk away.

Feb 29 20 07:56 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Why not?   You said you responded to a TF shoot and a brief session could determine if a longer shoot would good for both of you.   Especially given that you like his work.   I think every model should shoot at least two times a week or more.   It keeps you sharp.

Feb 29 20 08:14 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I would never plan any sort of high concept / high cost shoot with a Model ( Agency or Not ) without doing a test shoot first

Not that i do a lot of high concept / high cost shoots - but i have on occasion

Mar 01 20 01:04 am Link

Photographer

Select Model Studios

Tempe, Arizona, US

If I'm doing a paid shoot, I might sometimes require a test shoot prior. There are multiple reasons why. The biggest being I was to know that the model is reliable before I invest into props, studio time etc. I've been burnt to many time in the past by no shows.

Mar 01 20 03:34 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Select Model Studios wrote:
If I'm doing a paid shoot, I might sometimes require a test shoot prior. There are multiple reasons why. The biggest being I was to know that the model is reliable before I invest into props, studio time etc. I've been burnt to many time in the past by no shows.

Exactly ( except that i have only been burnt a few times on tests )

Mar 01 20 10:19 am Link

Photographer

LnN Studio

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

While not the norm I can understand it under some circumstances.
One is if more than one model is being considered and time and budget doesn't permit doing both.
Another is that many models portfolios contain photos from over ten years and while skill should improve bodies change, sometimes often.
Frankly if you like his work and doing the test isn't a big expense to do and is in line with what the project will be I would do it.

Mar 01 20 12:01 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Kelly Kooper wrote:
I applied for a TF casting with a professional photographer I haven't worked with before
. . .
I got a response from him a few hours later asking me to come in for a test shoot for him to determine whether we proceed to an actual shoot.

A TF *is* a test shoot to my understanding.

Mar 01 20 12:54 pm Link

Photographer

AgX

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Kelly Kooper wrote:

What are your thoughts?

Do you think your time and effort for a test are reasonable investments relative to the potential benefit(s) of working with him? Only you can make that determination. If you think so, do it. If not, decline.

I cant see how it's any more complicated than that.

Mar 01 20 02:49 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

Kelly Kooper wrote:
Hi all,

I applied for a TF casting with a professional photographer I haven't worked with before - the brief being for a curve model shooting Boudoir. He's got some great work in his port and I thought our styles would align well.

What are your thoughts?

You applied for a TF casting, which indicates this pro photographer wants to test applicants before selecting a successful 'curve' model for his actual boudoir shoot.

Is the actual boudoir shoot he is casting for a paid assignment?  If not, you need the photographer to be more specific about the conditions of the project he is casting for.

I would not expect a model should have to sign a release for images taken at an informal TF casting/test.

If the actual boudoir project is going to be a major event to set-up and execute, then I don't sėe anything wrong with asking models to do a TF casting as part of the selection process.

You simply need to be clear about the type and useage of any images he may expect to take of you at the casting.

Mar 01 20 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Kelly Kooper wrote:
I applied for a TF casting with a professional photographer I haven't worked with before
. . .

Mark Salo wrote:
A TF *is* a test shoot to my understanding.

A test shoot is a test shoot.
A trade shoot is a trade shoot.

TF- trade for, shorten from TFP or TFCD
They are different, but unfortunately, many use them interchangeably.

A test shoot is usually a very quick session. Stand or sit under the lights, snap, snap. You're done. The objective is to see what the model looks like under your lights. Others objectives can be determined as well. How well do your personalities agree? On time? Follows instructions? Looks like the portfolio? Fits the wardrobe? The images are generally recycle bin material. No release is needed.

A trade shoot can be a short or long photo session. The goal is for both parties to get quality images from the shoots for them each to use. A release is needed for both parties. A trade shoot and a paid shoot would appear to an observer to be the same.

Mar 03 20 08:34 am Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Kelly Kooper wrote:
Hi all,

What are your thoughts?

Communication is the key.
Why does he want the test shoot?

Is he using the test shoot to down select models for his full up photo session?
Or is he just wasting your time with loops for you to jump through?

Your time is valuable. Ask questions. If he is reluctant to answer, you might not wish to continue. If he gets all hot headed, you definitely want to avoid the shoot. Some very talented and gifted photographers are total jerks. Most are not. You might learn something from the test shoot, as well.

Mar 03 20 08:38 am Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

Or maybe the photographer has in mind something  outside the range evident in the OP's portfolio which does seem to be pretty much of a piece.  Although (especially for TF) my approach would be to plan on shooting something within the range indicated by the model's portfolio for the first shoot and spend a few minutes of that time testing for a potential second shoot.  That way, everyone would (we hope) get at least a few usable pictures from the first shoot while going into the second shoot with a little bit more comfort.
All IMHO as always, of course.

Mar 03 20 12:45 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Quite often I will do a 'test shoot' with a model before taking the time and expense of building a set, getting a MUA, booking an assistant, and renting props. I have to make the model is right for the job and can make the expressions that are needed.

Of course, the model will get some images from the 'test shoot' that she can use in her portfolio or for social media.

Mar 03 20 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

ROUA IMAGES

Phoenix, Arizona, US

In this particular instance, referring to the OP's portfolio specifically, there is enough variation in the sets to allow for anticipation of their range and ability without need for a test shoot.  I.E., figure looks great, mood and expressions compliment the poses, and the portfolio is definitely not representative of the excessive "one-look-wonder" type showcases.
(Enough so that I could look at that portfolio and have a definite yes or no idea of working with them for a project in mind based on what is already shown.)

The photographer 'may' have a specific reason for wanting to test first, but again, the mentioned offer is for a TF project to begin with, so it's unclear why a test shoot is needed first given this specific example.

Maybe it was a default blanket statement reply to many responses.

Has OP reached out to the photographer to ask why the need for a test first?  That's probably going to have the most direct answer and reason for it.

Mar 04 20 04:50 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:
Quite often I will do a 'test shoot' with a model before taking the time and expense of building a set, getting a MUA, booking an assistant, and renting props. I have to make the model is right for the job and can make the expressions that are needed.

Of course, the model will get some images from the 'test shoot' that she can use in her portfolio or for social media.

Ken - You are one of the few Great Photographers that have stuck with MM through the years and continued to contribute your wisdom and experience to these forums . I for one am truly appreciative of this . Thank You

Mar 04 20 12:20 pm Link

Photographer

Dan OMell

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

It's difficult to judge what is actually compatible with your project in mind, when a model has a lot of images taken, say, 10 years ago, among others. It's very good idea to take a test session at very least to look who you're dealing with, before committing to any of the two different persons with the same names, with your project.
Long ago, we all experienced the similar problem with Hollywood movies and roles.
At least it's how I personally see it. If something wrong with that, I apologize.
And I prefer my surgeon to talk with me like that, too, for example.

May 11 20 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Kelly Kooper wrote:
Hi all,

What are your thoughts?

Think of it as an audition.

May 12 20 01:21 am Link

Photographer

GianCarlo Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

If I were the model, OK, I quick test shoot, plus meeting each other is good. But, a quick test shoot and completely dressed; no nude or almost nude. No underwear or lingerie.
As far as the actual shoot; do you need more photos or updated photos? If so, OK, but if you don’t really need them maybe it should be a paid gig.
I’ve had TFP models where I gave them a little money anyway. Why, because they took the time to come help me.

May 13 20 03:41 pm Link