Forums > General Industry > 2TB Thumb Drive for $30. Too good to be true?

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I've been getting an ad on Facebook for these 2TB thumb drives. I'm so close to pulling the trigger on buying a few of them, but it just seems way too good to be true. Has anyone bought these and what's your thoughts?

https://newbeepro.com/products/2tb-usb- … 1lEALw_wcB

May 04 20 03:42 pm Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Check this out on the 2TB thumb-drives:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kix3JKn08OU
or this:  https://www.instructables.com/id/Dont-f … ive-Scam!/

Fwiw, I had a Toyota and lost one FOB.  I bought a spare off eBay as it was $100 less than dealer who wanted $200.  It came and I got it programmed via Youtuber, except it would not unlock the door remotely as the old one would so I had to use a key.  Went to dealer and parts girl laughed and asked if I bought it on eBay.  She knew the tune: "Starts car, but cannot get in without old mechanical key.  That's the $100 extra for the OEM FOB."

May 04 20 04:26 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Yeah.. I've seen those. That's why I posted here to see if anyone had experience with this particular brand.

May 04 20 05:27 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

Another brilliant invention from the communist Chinese government that produces cheap goods either won't work nor last, except for the coronavirus.

May 04 20 05:46 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

John Jebbia  wrote:
Too good to be true?

Probably.

Don't trust fb ads from unfamiliar merchants.

May 04 20 05:53 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I wouldn't buy it!
This is an unknown brand.

May 04 20 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Its FaceBook
That tells ya all you need to know

May 04 20 07:12 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

"Hurry Up, make it yours before we run out of stock."

This is an old scam. It used to be 125GB for $10 but really only 10GB same as these.

May 04 20 08:22 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:
Don't trust fb ads from unfamiliar merchants.

Yeah, FB censors misleading information per their standard while allowing the other misleading information go rampant just because they get paid. My-suck-a-bird thinks he is the one who has moral and integrity.

May 04 20 09:08 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

The scammers on FB are as bad, maybe even WORSE than Craigslist.
I can't figure out how/why FB allows them to operate.

I've seen things like BRAND NEW Quads/ATVs advertised for something like $150, state of the art laptop computers for $75... and on and on and on.

Many of those fake ads seem to be located in England, albeit they really could be anywhere.

With that being said the Newbeepro website MAY be somewhat legitimate.  Most of the cheap crap they sell is about the same price as a comparable item on Amazon, Wish, or Alibaba... but I don't trust two of the three companies that I just mentioned either.

May 04 20 10:40 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

SayCheeZ!  wrote:
[snip]

With that being said the Newbeepro website MAY be somewhat legitimate.  [snip]

May.

I've fallen for the same trap, purchasing an item from a legitimate looking site advertised through Facebook,  never received anything.  Paypal did issue a refund after a couple of Months.

The majority of ads aimed in My direction are for Clothing.  Ads stating 'free' or ridiculously low priced are a definite red flag and I won't even bother to click the link.  Most are using images borrowed from AliExpress, if I see something I like I'll buy there, usually for less, and I'll get something.

Google recently notified Me of attempts to access My personal email account made from East Asia.  There's little doubt in My mind the attempt to hack has something to do with the purchase made through Facebook.

it's a nah from Me.

May 05 20 02:03 am Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Kingston is a respected computer parts and accessory company started in 1987, and has grown to be the world's largest independent manufacturer of memory products.

Back in January at CES 2017, Kingston unveiled the new DataTraveler Ultimate GT (the GT stands for Generation Terabyte), the world's highest capacity USB flash drive, coming in 1TB and 2TB offerings for those who want to transport large amounts of data with them without relying on hard drives or cloud storage.

The legitimate Kingston drive is over $1,000.oo . . . I wouldn't trust anything that sells for way less from a manufacture or distributor that I've never heard of.

Amazon carries a selection of these drives online . . . . buyer beware !
https://www.amazon.com/2tb-usb-flash-dr … %3A3151491

May 05 20 08:14 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:

May.

I've fallen for the same trap, purchasing an item from a legitimate looking site advertised through Facebook,  never received anything.  Paypal did issue a refund after a couple of Months.

The majority of ads aimed in My direction are for Clothing.  Ads stating 'free' or ridiculously low priced are a definite red flag and I won't even bother to click the link.  Most are using images borrowed from AliExpress, if I see something I like I'll buy there, usually for less, and I'll get something.

Google recently notified Me of attempts to access My personal email account made from East Asia.  There's little doubt in My mind the attempt to hack has something to do with the purchase made through Facebook.

it's a nah from Me.

Fakebook is a diseased, infected, hell-pit of scammy scammers and invasive disruptions.
My last account (now gone) was made with a "fake" email account and a fake name. It didn't take long for somebody to connect the dots and I started getting stupid crap posted on my actual email account.

Last September 50 MILLION Fakebook accounts were hacked. They've downplayed that but I doubt it has stopped happening.

I had to google to learn how to delete my account instead of "de-activating" it. It's gone and I don't miss it. My REAL friends know how to contact me and vice versa.

May 05 20 10:05 am Link

Photographer

LightEnough

Washington, District of Columbia, US

RE: Thumb Drives: Don't do it.  Sick with known brands sold in retail stores. The stores will not stock things that are often returned with not satisfied customers.

But also, please consider the use of external drives if you need that much capacity. Do you need that much capacity?

May 05 20 03:32 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

LightEnough wrote:
RE: Thumb Drives: Don't do it.  Sick with known brands sold in retail stores. The stores will not stock things that are often returned with not satisfied customers.

But also, please consider the use of external drives if you need that much capacity. Do you need that much capacity?

Yes. I currently have about 16TB of images/videos/etc. I have external drives. I was considering these (if they were legit) as a good backup option.

May 05 20 05:45 pm Link