Karl Barbosa PhotoPhotographer Male Montreal, Quebec, Canada
My Website: FacebookMy MM URL: http://www.modelmayhem.com/karlbarbosaphotography
Mayhem # 129973
While not a professional, I am a serious hobbyist who enjoys the art for fun. I do not have a set style, and would rather experiment with a variety of different looks and themes.
That being said, I am definitely not a run of the mill fashion or glamour photographer. I have very little interest in well dressed serious looking women on a white background unless there's a quirky element to it. I like to think outside the box, and I'm very much into edgy and emotional content, mixed in with some silly geekiness on occasion.
I am a big big fan of intensity.
Here's how I operate: Nearly all my shoots are TF and I don't expect to pay the model, nor do I expect him or her to pay me. I may make an exception for models with a spectacular and emotionally intense portfolio. If all you have are very ordinary naked glamour photos, you are not the exception. My goal is to collaborate and produce a shoot that both of us enjoy and can spice up our respective portfolios. I always insist we meet ahead of time and this is not generally optional (barring distance concerns). We go for coffee or food and we bounce around ideas and generally get a feel for one another's personality to see if we both agree on a concept or not. If we do not, there are no hard feelings and we go our separate ways. There should never be any pressure on anyone's part. Generally speaking, I like to cater shoots towards a model's interests and may even propose something ahead of time. My goal is to plan and produce something we are both excited about. In terms of financing, if the shoot requires additional props or outfits, we split it evenly, depending on who keeps the props afterwards.
A quick note, though: I generally insist on someone being comfortable with at least implied nudity. I don't need full nude, and in fact a lot of my shoots are fully clothed, but given a lot of the content I like to put out, if you are very conservative, it likely will not work. I also will not work with a model if she under 18 at the time of the shoot.
Here are some ideas and themes that interest me in particular:
- Fetish photography. I'm not into latex, nor into anything bluntly sexual. Absolutely no porn or penetration. It's all about emotion. The act of dominating or submitting. Being tied up or in control. Sadism or masochism.
- Geeky shoots. Playing around with board games, or consoles, or RPGs, or a cute girl wearing thinkgeek.com apparel, for example. I'm a complete and utter nerd, and proud of it. It's fun to have some shoots to reflect it.
- Art nudes or bodyscapes involving lighting tricks. It's a bit more conventional, but I'm a big fan of the human form, and I'd love to keep practicing at this.
- Gothic, Steampunk, Victorian elegance. I'm a goth at heart, so clothes that reflect it, with some good makeup and a good location are always fun to do.
- Tragic, Dark, Insane, Angry: Yes! A thousand times yes! Give me your angst. Give me your pain. Show me the darkness inside you and I will produce art that will frighten and amaze. This is BY FAR my preferred theme. If you come up to me and tell me you want to rage and claw and yell, you got yourself a shoot!
In terms of equipment, I have a full studio set up in my home that includes white or black seemless backgrounds and strobe lighting. I also have a small portable lighting kit for location shoots that require it. I do have lenses that can handle low light situations also.
For those with allergies, please note that I do have a cat. I have some Claritin at home, but if your allergies are particularly strong, please plan ahead and let me know.
In the end, what I'd love to find is a few regular models with few or no restrictions that I can call on whenever something new comes to mind that I'd like to try.
Note: I also have a Facebook Page for my photography now. Feel free to 'Like' it to more readily follow any updates there.
Have you worked with Karl Barbosa Photo? Add Credits for Karl Barbosa Photo! >>
On Model Mayhem:
- Death Kiss (MM 2547468)
- Melo (MM 3295775)
- Melanie (MM 1820329)
- Christina (MM 2279456)
- Leona (MM 1432294)
- Asteria (MM 3459920)
- Toxie (MM 2905617)
- Tsqa (MM 2519418)
- Christelle (MM 356929)
- Carmelia (MM 3366272)
- Melissa (MM 3150262)
- Meesh (MM 2714194)
- Laura (MM 1431388)
- _BlossomFairy_ (MM 2979175)
- Minh-Ly (MM 2945059)
- Keana (MM 1195131)
- Ardaeth (MM 1004690)
- Ameara (MM 2921527)
- Aurelia (MM 2534983)
- Isangma (MM 370079)
Not on Model Mayhem:
- Sucre a la Creme