login info join!
Forums > Model Colloquy > Pay model to be bodypainted? Search   Reply
12last
Makeup Artist
Amber Rose makeup
Posts: 61
Seattle, Washington, US


I wasn't sure where to ask this so I figured I'd go straight to the source and ask models themselves.
I'm in the beginning planning stages of a bodypainting photoshoot. Basically I'm gonna need a model to stand still naked for 3-5 hours (depending on the design I end up going for) while I blow cold air and paint on her. Of course I'll do everything in my power to make the model as comfortable as possible, but still..3-5 hours of standing naked isn't the funnest thing for most people.
So anyways, my question is-should I pay the model, and if so, how much? At this point everything I've done has been TFCD/TFP, but this seems to me to be asking a lot of a model, so I feel like I should be paying her, although I know some models are into bodypainting, and maybe be willing to do TFCD...?
Jan 09 07 01:22 am  Link  Quote 
Model
ElizabethTullCurtsinger
Posts: 597
Wichita, Kansas, US


I think pay will depend on the model. Personally, I think a bodypaint project would be awesome to try, and would definetely do one TFP/TFCD, however, there are people that would probably prefer pay - especially standing naked that long.

Find a model, discuss it with her, go from there.
Jan 09 07 01:25 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Gianna
Posts: 459
Pinole, California, US


wow id say ask the models rates for nudity for one and go by that. sounds cool id do it wish you were closer.
Jan 09 07 01:26 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Fifi
Posts: 58,130
Annapolis, Maryland, US


Amber Rose makeup wrote:
I wasn't sure where to ask this so I figured I'd go straight to the source and ask models themselves.
I'm in the beginning planning stages of a bodypainting photoshoot. Basically I'm gonna need a model to stand still naked for 3-5 hours (depending on the design I end up going for) while I blow cold air and paint on her. Of course I'll do everything in my power to make the model as comfortable as possible, but still..3-5 hours of standing naked isn't the funnest thing for most people.
So anyways, my question is-should I pay the model, and if so, how much? At this point everything I've done has been TFCD/TFP, but this seems to me to be asking a lot of a model, so I feel like I should be paying her, although I know some models are into bodypainting, and maybe be willing to do TFCD...?

I would do it for TFCD... but I think you should think of rates you would be comfortable with paying and use that as a bargaining tool. Asking what models would charge is a good idea, but you have to think about whether they would be within your means.

Jan 09 07 01:26 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Hilda Castillo
Posts: 77


Maybe start by looking for models who are interested in adding body painting work to theirs ports.  If you still don't get any "takers" then start to put out some offers. smile
Hope it helps
Hilda
Jan 09 07 01:27 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Amber Rose makeup
Posts: 61
Seattle, Washington, US


I guess theres more interest in it than I thought! I just kinda figured it'd be a personal project so I'd have to pay everyone. Thanks guys, I guess it depends on the model smile
Jan 09 07 01:29 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Misty Garland
Posts: 11
Camdenton, Missouri, US


I would definately be interested in the opportunity... I was just thinking to myself and showing your avatar to my friend explaining how amazing it is and it would be to be involved in this!!! The pay issue... can be discussed later!
Let me know if you are interested, Misty
Jan 09 07 01:29 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Iona Lynn
Posts: 11,176
Oakland, California, US


I've done a few body painted shoots...

Paid and TFP...

Yup paint cold & wet and not the easest job around..

As with all things, It really depends on the model, photographer, quality of prints she gets in the end...

Figure out the whole job and including paint time..
Figure out who will be doing your shooting...
Get a few examples togeather of what you will be doing
and start contacting models for TFP, If you get models intrested then great!!!
if not then send out another casting call offering to pay...


In all if a model wants the images in her book, she will do TFP, If she feels she has no need for them then she will want cash for compensation instead of prints...
Jan 09 07 01:32 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Ashley Haven Nudes
Posts: 2,442
Queen Creek, Arizona, US


Amber Rose makeup wrote:
I guess theres more interest in it than I thought! I just kinda figured it'd be a personal project so I'd have to pay everyone. Thanks guys, I guess it depends on the model smile

Just messaged you about this.  smile

Jan 09 07 01:32 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Sophistocles
Posts: 21,320
Seattle, Washington, US


You know, depending on what you're going to be painting and what it looks like, you might even find a local photographer willing to shoot it and perhaps help out with the little annoying logistics like securing a model and/or compensation.

I'm pretty sure there's a local photographer around here, somewhere. Let me check... Just saying :-)
Jan 09 07 01:35 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Ashley Haven Nudes
Posts: 2,442
Queen Creek, Arizona, US


Christopher Ambler wrote:
You know, depending on what you're going to be painting and what it looks like, you might even find a local photographer willing to shoot it and perhaps help out with the little annoying logistics like securing a model and/or compensation.

I'm pretty sure there's a local photographer around here, somewhere. Let me check... Just saying :-)

Hey! This would be 2 birds with 1 stone! *Hint Hint* Pick me!  Christopher and I want to work together as it is.... and... bodypaint is fun!

Jan 09 07 01:37 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
BCCPDX
Posts: 267
Portland, Oregon, US


Three to five hours... something she can lean on (there will be an unpainted side, yes?) might be a good idea.
Jan 09 07 03:59 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Daniela Victoria
Posts: 25,108
Cranford, New Jersey, US


3 to 5 hours is a long time- and you don't have any examples of bodypainting work.....have you ever done it before?

What's the project? Why will it take so long if you're airbrushing?
Jan 09 07 10:36 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
dgold
Posts: 10,269
North Smithfield, Rhode Island, US


I am doing a body airbrush paint project with artist Roustan MM#178619
on January 21 w/Helena of Gold.
The airbrush artist is doing the artwork for portfolio photos and photo releases, the model is posing for photos and CD.
I also will pay her a stipend(say $150.).
I provide the studio and props, film and 35mm professional developing and high res
CD's.
Jan 09 07 10:50 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Naomi
Posts: 257
New York, New York, US


I have done it TFP once and after that I will never do it for free again. It is very time consuming and hard on the body. I can see it taking 3-5 hours depending on the design and if hair- dos are involved. I have stood longer than that!!!!Then the shooting after??? It's a lot.
Just my opinion of someone whose done it 6 times already (as a model).
Jan 09 07 12:52 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
A BRITT PRO-AM
Posts: 7,840
CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US


yes, it's hard work, tiresome, chilly and can be a bitch to get off!
 
having said that i would personally still love to do more artistic and quality painted stuff - even at a cheap rate - as i love art and unusual results
Jan 09 07 12:57 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
EL PIC
Posts: 2,835
Austin, Indiana, US


I new a girl who stood and layed for 14 hours while being painted
and mua'ed by 2 guys and 1 girl.
Then there was the show and photos. 18 hours in all. The shower was more.
Knew many more with 3 - 5 hour paint jobs.

Some have been painted TFP some have been paid others get to drink free.
Its what u set the deal for.

By the way best table to use for body paint is an autopsy table.
Bathtubs work. Bed with throwaway sheets is most comfy for model.
Model comfy and willingness to endure the process is a big issue.

EL
Jan 09 07 01:05 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Kenzphotos
Posts: 1,868
Pattaya, Central, Thailand


I paid each of the three Models that I have body painted for my 'Human Sculpture' project.  Plus, I fed them and gave them photo CD's before they left my place.  For the ones that posed at night, I had a directional heater aimed at them to keep them warm.  All of the Models were happy with the results and they were all absolutely wonderful to work with.
Jan 09 07 01:05 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
visual mirage
Posts: 390
Nashville, Arkansas, US


Just a photographer's 2 cents since I have a body paint shoot coming up. There is a lot of truth in the saying "suffering for one's art." We all put in a lot of work to create what we hope others will call art in the end. However, it is the end result we're all looking for. I think most models who want body paint in their port will be happy to do it TFP. I have never considered TFP free work, but rather an investment in the future that can pay good dividends. That one shot could land you several paying jobs where as without it, you would have gone unnoticed. I wish I could find more models to do body paint shoots and hope to shoot more in the future.
Jan 09 07 01:16 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Naomi
Posts: 257
New York, New York, US


skint lizard designs wrote:
Just a photographer's 2 cents since I have a body paint shoot coming up. There is a lot of truth in the saying "suffering for one's art." We all put in a lot of work to create what we hope others will call art in the end. However, it is the end result we're all looking for. I think most models who want body paint in their port will be happy to do it TFP. I have never considered TFP free work, but rather an investment in the future that can pay good dividends. That one shot could land you several paying jobs where as without it, you would have gone unnoticed. I wish I could find more models to do body paint shoots and hope to shoot more in the future.

I TOTALLY agree on love of art but I disagree (my opinion) on investment of future. Most body paint ads pay nothing or very little.
I also suggest you try doing it once before saying we all suffer. I had one girl faint in front of me. And another ALMOST passed out.
I hope Rich will chime in soon.

Jan 09 07 02:26 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
KATHY JEAN
Posts: 5,513
Pekin, Illinois, US


I am anxious to be bodypainted, especially since I've never had the pleasure (of being bodypainted, I mean.  I've had the pleasure of fainting.)  big_smile
Seriously, I can remain motionless for extended periods and would certainly value
and treasure the artistic experience.
Jan 09 07 02:35 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
visual mirage
Posts: 390
Nashville, Arkansas, US


Naomi wrote:

I TOTALLY agree on love of art but I disagree (my opinion) on investment of future. Most body paint ads pay nothing or very little.
I also suggest you try doing it once before saying we all suffer. I had one girl faint in front of me. And another ALMOST passed out.
I hope Rich will chime in soon.

First, I would like to say I am sorry to hear about the one girl fainting and the other almost passing out and any other misfortune that you've come across. I agree, not much money for body paint in ad work. However, a creative composition involving body paint to be sold as art is another story altogether. As for my statement as TFP being an investment for the future, well I meant that in general terms and not just for body paint alone. The bottom line is what does the model want to persue? I agree, sometimes the model gets the worst end of a shot. They have to endure hot lights and sometime hours for preparation for the shot. In the end, it is the mix of the photographer, model, and mua and their contribution to the project that makes for an effective execution of a great idea.

Jan 09 07 02:37 pm  Link  Quote 
Body Painter
BodyPainter Rich
Posts: 17,847
San Francisco, California, US


Naomi wrote:

I TOTALLY agree on love of art but I disagree (my opinion) on investment of future. Most body paint ads pay nothing or very little.
I also suggest you try doing it once before saying we all suffer. I had one girl faint in front of me. And another ALMOST passed out.
I hope Rich will chime in soon.

Naomi and crew.

Here's my $.02 on the subject.

Getting your first bodypaint model can be a challenge, but it's not impossible. What happens after that depends on your results.

If you can work some magic and dleiver some interesting images (helps to work with a really good photographer), you will find model volunteers lining up to work with you for TFP because you will be able to provide them with something that will bring them attention and make people stop and stare. A good bodypaint shot in a portfolio is a GREAT way to slow down a browser and keep the attention focused on you instead of the next models book. Bodypaint is also a great way to show off your body, but maintain some level of modesty over being completely nude. For this reason most painters I know have NO problem getting models to work with even though bodypaint shoots are some of the most demanding work a model can ever do. So it can be an investment in a jaw dropping image for a portfolio, but don't count too much on bodypaint leading to more similar jobs...unless you are working with some of the very few of us who work events with some regularity. (We're working as a group to get more paid jobs, but it ain't easy)

That being said, models who have several good bodypaint images already in their portfolio would be NUTS to do it again for TFP, unless their heart is really in the project, or they really enjoyed the experience.

By the way, would be painters would do REALLY well to try to keep their paint time under 4 hours. I've had one dehydrated girl pass out on me, and 2-3 get woozy from locking their legs. Bodypaint modelling can be VERY demanding on the body in question.                   

My personal policy is that I don't pay for models UNLESS I have a paying client that is hiring me for a project. What I do though, is hire models I've worked with when I paint for live events which is the only way I'm really making money right now.

When/if I get a calendar or book published and actually start selling prints or something, I will probably start paying models to shoot...but the fact is while bodyaint is very popular for people to look at it, there is not a large market for bodypaint prints or image sales...it is a bit too risque for most people to put up in the family room or den.

So to sum it up. Once you get a couple good images, you won't lack for models.

For models....I think anyone willing should try it at least once. Models who have worked with me in general say it was a REALLY fun shoot (we work hard to make it that way) and most volunteer to come back again. That being said...this will only work if the painter is GOOD, is sensitive to the needs of the model, and if the whole team works to make the experience pleasant instead of work.


Hope this helps.
~Rich

Jan 09 07 04:24 pm  Link  Quote 
Body Painter
BodyPainter Rich
Posts: 17,847
San Francisco, California, US


Oh yeah...hints to avoid fainting during bodypaint work.

1. Take frequent breaks to stretch
2. DON'T LOCK YOUR KNEES, MODELS!
3. Stand on something soft and supportive like foam or a cushion
4. Maintain an even, comfortable temperature in the room
5. Drinking too much at a bodypaint shoot can lead to problems, but model should be WELL HYDRATED for a couple days before the shoot
6. Keep some snacks handy so that blood sugar levels don't crash, protien is good
7. Avoid alcohol before or during the painting

Painters would be advised to follow these guidelines as well, you have to work fast and it is easy to get a little woozy yourself when concetrating for extended periods.
Jan 09 07 04:30 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Naomi Jay
Posts: 1,436
New York, New York, US


I revoke my past statement. I would do it again TFP for Rich :-)
Jan 09 07 10:07 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Stacey S
Posts: 3,131
Long Beach, California, US


I wish I could be bodypainted!

if you were close to me i'd def. do it for TFP
Jan 09 07 10:18 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Fifi
Posts: 58,130
Annapolis, Maryland, US


BodyPainter Rich wrote:

Naomi and crew.

Here's my $.02 on the subject.

Getting your first bodypaint model can be a challenge, but it's not impossible. What happens after that depends on your results.

If you can work some magic and dleiver some interesting images (helps to work with a really good photographer), you will find model volunteers lining up to work with you for TFP because you will be able to provide them with something that will bring them attention and make people stop and stare. A good bodypaint shot in a portfolio is a GREAT way to slow down a browser and keep the attention focused on you instead of the next models book. Bodypaint is also a great way to show off your body, but maintain some level of modesty over being completely nude. For this reason most painters I know have NO problem getting models to work with even though bodypaint shoots are some of the most demanding work a model can ever do. So it can be an investment in a jaw dropping image for a portfolio, but don't count too much on bodypaint leading to more similar jobs...unless you are working with some of the very few of us who work events with some regularity. (We're working as a group to get more paid jobs, but it ain't easy)

That being said, models who have several good bodypaint images already in their portfolio would be NUTS to do it again for TFP, unless their heart is really in the project, or they really enjoyed the experience.

By the way, would be painters would do REALLY well to try to keep their paint time under 4 hours. I've had one dehydrated girl pass out on me, and 2-3 get woozy from locking their legs. Bodypaint modelling can be VERY demanding on the body in question.                   

My personal policy is that I don't pay for models UNLESS I have a paying client that is hiring me for a project. What I do though, is hire models I've worked with when I paint for live events which is the only way I'm really making money right now.

When/if I get a calendar or book published and actually start selling prints or something, I will probably start paying models to shoot...but the fact is while bodyaint is very popular for people to look at it, there is not a large market for bodypaint prints or image sales...it is a bit too risque for most people to put up in the family room or den.

So to sum it up. Once you get a couple good images, you won't lack for models.

For models....I think anyone willing should try it at least once. Models who have worked with me in general say it was a REALLY fun shoot (we work hard to make it that way) and most volunteer to come back again. That being said...this will only work if the painter is GOOD, is sensitive to the needs of the model, and if the whole team works to make the experience pleasant instead of work.


Hope this helps.
~Rich

With your amazing work... I would do it for TFP with you.... even with my bad back, short leg and various other injuries lol

Jan 09 07 10:22 pm  Link  Quote 
Body Painter
BodyPainter Rich
Posts: 17,847
San Francisco, California, US


Thank you ladies, you are all very sweet and it humbles me to think that my work is so compelling that you would volunteer.

(Note to prospective painters...see what I mean? Quality work, model positive attitude, and friendly work space ...word gets around!)
Jan 09 07 11:15 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Smedley Whiplash
Posts: 17,241
Billings, Montana, US


Is there anyway to cut the painting time down? That's longer then most shoots. I love the idea of it! wink
Jan 10 07 12:34 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
bijan studio
Posts: 1,846
TARZANA, California, US


That's why I don't use airbrush. I paint with brush or hand.
I have my models lay down and have them read magazine and listen to music while I paint. Once one side is done I have her lay the other side and paint the other side. Paint won't get ruined if they lay on it.
Jan 10 07 12:38 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Matt L Miller
Posts: 58
Southend-on-Sea, England, United Kingdom


Models tend to fall over themselves to get bodypainting shoots ... they are not really commercially viable but as Rich says do make people stop for a bit longer on folios ... the demand means that TFP is common for this kind of work .. the only time i paid for a bodypainting set I only paid for camera time ... the makeup time was the models own ....
Body painting shoots can be expensive for the photographer in materials and paying the MUA so I only shoot a set once or twice a year and usually split the costs with the model .... As always I get other models in to the studio to shoot tests while the MUA works, this maximises studio time ...
Jan 10 07 12:59 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Susi
Posts: 3,083
Atlanta, Georgia, US


After doing a bodypaint shoot once, I'll no longer do it tfcd...lol...but plenty of other girls would do it.  It took me days of scrubbing to get the paint off me...lol.
Jan 10 07 01:04 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
MsHeidi
Posts: 2,081
Jessheim, Akershus, Norway


Someone read my mind here smile

I would do it TFP, (althought I would not able to stand up for 5 hours) But since it's nude I would charge for the shooting time, but that's just me smile
Jan 10 07 01:08 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
bijan studio
Posts: 1,846
TARZANA, California, US


Susi wrote:
After doing a bodypaint shoot once, I'll no longer do it tfcd...lol...but plenty of other girls would do it.  It took me days of scrubbing to get the paint off me...lol.

Depends on the paint. The kind I use can be washed with a warm towel right after the photoshoot in just 10 minutes.

Jan 10 07 01:11 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Susi
Posts: 3,083
Atlanta, Georgia, US


bijan studio wrote:

Depends on the paint. The kind I use can be washed with a warm towel right after the photoshoot in just 10 minutes.

We were doing an all over paint shoot where I was in water so we had to use an oil based paint that wouldn't wash off.  Every inch of me was silver...it seeps into your skin and you actually sweat silver for a day or two after.  I had a gray pallor for several days...hey, it was worth the headache for the shot.  Just saying, it's not something I would wanna do again for free!

Jan 10 07 01:16 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
bijan studio
Posts: 1,846
TARZANA, California, US


Susi wrote:

We were doing an all over paint shoot where I was in water so we had to use an oil based paint that wouldn't wash off.  Every inch of me was silver...it seeps into your skin and you actually sweat silver for a day or two after.  I had a gray pallor for several days...hey, it was worth the headache for the shot.  Just saying, it's not something I would wanna do again for free!

WOW, I hear you now. smile I wouldn't do that kind for TFP either.

Jan 10 07 01:19 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Theron Kendall-Tandango
Posts: 315
Atlanta, Georgia, US


Susi wrote:
After doing a bodypaint shoot once, I'll no longer do it tfcd...lol...but plenty of other girls would do it.  It took me days of scrubbing to get the paint off me...lol.

Sounds like they used the wrong paint.  Body paint does not come from Home D.

Jan 10 07 01:33 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Daniela Victoria
Posts: 25,108
Cranford, New Jersey, US


MsHeidi wrote:
But since it's nude I would charge for the shooting time, but that's just me smile

It's fake nude.

Jan 10 07 01:35 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
bandphotographer
Posts: 1
Saint Louis, Michigan, US


I have been doing body art/paint shoots for over a year now and love it. Most models do not advertise that they will stand still for hours to be painted, but I always pay my models well. Usually between $75-$100 per hour for seasoned professionals, and less for models new to the industry. Hope this helps and feel free to email for more information

Ron
bandphotographer
Jan 10 07 01:39 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Susi
Posts: 3,083
Atlanta, Georgia, US


Tandango wrote:

Sounds like they used the wrong paint.  Body paint does not come from Home D.

Where did I mention home depot?  It was mixed from a makeup powder and a couple of other ingredients...from the costume shop, not the hardware store!?!

Jan 10 07 01:41 pm  Link  Quote 
12last   Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers