login info join!
Forums > General Industry > Maybe the problem is YOU Search   Reply
12345last
Photographer
SME
Posts: 20,702
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US


I wonder sometimes, amidst the plethora of accusatory threads that go back and forth between models and photographers, if it ever occurs to people to consider whether they are the source of their own problem.

Here's a little trick I use in my own life that may be of use to some of you:

If you find yourself running into the same problem over and over and over again in different situations with different people...you're the common denominator.  The problem might not be with them, but with you.

Example:

All the threads bitching about unreliable models.  If you run into that on a weekly basis, maybe there are other steps you can take to vet the models before you shoot them.  Have you talked with photographers they've shot with?  Do you have a good idea of what their reputation is like?  Do some homework.  It can save you all manner of grief.

Maybe consider getting inventive about ways to create solid, dependable working relationships.  Isn't that a better way to spend your time than in constant frustration, venting on MM? 

Anyway.  Just a thought.
Mar 17 08 06:52 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
MelissaLynnette LaDiva
Posts: 50,816
Leawood, Kansas, US


That's a hard concept to accept.
Mar 17 08 06:53 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Seth Mitchell
Posts: 1,457
Long Beach, California, US


You smart lady smile
Mar 17 08 06:54 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Princess Kerry
Posts: 436
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Too much thought went into this thread for it to be posted on Model Mayhem....


It should be removed as to not burden anyone with trying to understand it.





big_smile
Mar 17 08 06:54 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Iona Lynn
Posts: 11,176
Oakland, California, US


Dooood logic like whoahhh, You are too smart for this place...
Mar 17 08 06:55 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Le Beck Photography
Posts: 4,114
Los Angeles, California, US


Sita Mae wrote:
I wonder sometimes, amidst the plethora of accusatory threads that go back and forth between models and photographers, if it ever occurs to people to consider whether they are the source of their own problem.

Here's a little trick I use in my own life that may be of use to some of you:

If you find yourself running into the same problem over and over and over again in different situations with different people...you're the common denominator.  The problem might not be with them, but with you.

Example:

All the threads bitching about unreliable models.  If you run into that on a weekly basis, maybe there are other steps you can take to vet the models before you shoot them.  Have you talked with photographers they've shot with?  Do you have a good idea of what their reputation is like?  Do some homework.  It can save you all manner of grief.

Maybe consider getting inventive about ways to create solid, dependable working relationships.  Isn't that a better way to spend your time than in constant frustration, venting on MM? 

Anyway.  Just a thought.

But But But... then they wouldn't have anything to complain about!

Mar 17 08 06:55 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Luminos
Posts: 6,055
Columbia, Maryland, US


Sita Mae wrote:
I wonder sometimes, amidst the plethora of accusatory threads that go back and forth between models and photographers, if it ever occurs to people to consider whether they are the source of their own problem.

Here's a little trick I use in my own life that may be of use to some of you:

If you find yourself running into the same problem over and over and over again in different situations with different people...you're the common denominator.  The problem might not be with them, but with you.

Example:

All the threads bitching about unreliable models.  If you run into that on a weekly basis, maybe there are other steps you can take to vet the models before you shoot them.  Have you talked with photographers they've shot with?  Do you have a good idea of what their reputation is like?  Do some homework.  It can save you all manner of grief.

Maybe consider getting inventive about ways to create solid, dependable working relationships.  Isn't that a better way to spend your time than in constant frustration, venting on MM? 

Anyway.  Just a thought.

As a general idea - this will never catch on.

Mar 17 08 06:55 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
LoveLifeBlythe
Posts: 1,276
Rochester, New York, US


Your stream of consciousness is going to make MM shut down again. Abort thread. Abort thread. Abort thread...


please stay tuned for:

CURVEBALL
Mar 17 08 06:55 pm  Link  Quote 
Digital Artist
Koray
Posts: 6,672
Ankara, Ankara, Turkey


I dont have any problems...I blame myself for that big_smile
Mar 17 08 06:55 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Harry Young
Posts: 744
Los Angeles, California, US


definitely an idea to consider! My logic teacher would have approved, I think.
...
always interesting to read your posts Sita
Mar 17 08 06:56 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
mstrroper
Posts: 822
Dayville, Oregon, US


I know I am the problem. if I can ever get this camera thingy working properly, maybe then I won't be....

but seriously, I agree with the above sentiment, it is too intelligent and self aware type of post to actually be here. I see someone who did not have their 3 drink minimum
Mar 17 08 06:57 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
ava von hart
Posts: 752
Durham, North Carolina, US


[claps]

you've got smarts.
it's cooool.
=[]
and not annoying.
which is better!
=[]
Mar 17 08 06:57 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
digital Artform
Posts: 49,326
Los Angeles, California, US


Sita Mae wrote:
Isn't that a better way to spend your time than in constant frustration, venting on MM? 

Anyway.  Just a thought.

If you eliminate the venting threads then what will we do for entertainment?

Mar 17 08 06:57 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Victoria Vertuga
Posts: 4,864
Los Angeles, California, US


Sita you are always one to give such straight forward, logical, level-headed, rational, grammatically correct, and fabulous advice.

Too bad 99% of people ignore you in favor of the trainwreck threads. They're all too busy ranting about this, that & the other thing to think logically.

But it's nice to know there's HOPE!!! Thank you Sita wink
Mar 17 08 06:58 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
BYS
Posts: 11,614
Paris, Île-de-France, France


Mar 17 08 06:58 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Damon Banner
Posts: 85,066
Hayward, California, US


Sita Mae wrote:
Isn't that a better way to spend your time than in constant frustration, venting on MM?

NO!

Mar 17 08 06:58 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Shiea
Posts: 210
Washington, District of Columbia, US


i got lost after the 2nd sentence lol
Mar 17 08 07:00 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Shiea
Posts: 210
Washington, District of Columbia, US


oh and my brain hurts lol
Mar 17 08 07:00 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
SME
Posts: 20,702
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US


Ahahah!  Y'all crack me up!
Mar 17 08 07:00 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Princess Kerry
Posts: 436
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Shiea wrote:
oh and my brain hurts lol

*massages brain*

There there... we can't all be able to process such deep intellectual thoughts/opinions.

Mar 17 08 07:01 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Laurence Moan
Posts: 7,633
Huntington Beach, California, US


Mar 17 08 07:02 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Shiea
Posts: 210
Washington, District of Columbia, US


*that felt good*

lol i was kidding..geez:)
Mar 17 08 07:03 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Vintagevista
Posts: 10,349
Sun City, California, US


While this makes total sense - the logic is going to be lost on the Blowhards and Clavinites - Who are the ones that are the target audience here.

Especially the ones that throw off troll posts, like a nuclear pile throws off radiation - There is no room in their bitter worlds for sense to apply.

So, in essence - it is a circle of an argument - People ought to take care of their own crap - Except the ones flinging crap assume that it should apply to everyone else but them.  (The basis of so many happy threads)

VintageV
Mar 17 08 07:03 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Princess Kerry
Posts: 436
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Shiea wrote:
*that felt good*

lol i was kidding..geez:)

Regardless of whether you were kidding or not...

Everyone loves a brain massage every now and then. tongue

Mar 17 08 07:04 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
SME
Posts: 20,702
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US


Vintagevista wrote:
(The basis of so many happy threads)

lol

Mar 17 08 07:05 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Shiea
Posts: 210
Washington, District of Columbia, US


Yeah it does help, relaxes my body:)
Mar 17 08 07:05 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Collin J. Rae
Posts: 7,649
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US


Stop being sucha smarty-pants = )
Mar 17 08 07:06 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Dean Johnson Photo
Posts: 54,748
Minneapolis, Minnesota, US


Well said Sita.
Mar 17 08 07:06 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Keith Goodman
Posts: 771
Talihina, Oklahoma, US


OP -- Bravo!!

Doing the same things the same way usually result in the same results.  Bitching rarely changes anything except tagging the complainer as a complainer.

Good post.
Mar 17 08 07:08 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Piscis Noctis
Posts: 10,997
Santa Rosa, California, US


Now, what happens if you are thinking of ranting but you decide to mentally castrate
yourself but not rant about it because it is not such a big deal? And you're OK with
getting a few flakes here and there, since in the end, (for me) it's about the fun
and the pics rather than making money... Should I still change my method?

It's an honest question, your suggestion makes a lot of sense, but then I'm happy with
my current way and I'm OK with a flake here and there ... So I'm thinking of using
a coin toss or something ... (any thoughts?)
Mar 17 08 07:08 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
SME
Posts: 20,702
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US


Collin J. Rae wrote:
Stop being sucha smarty-pants = )

I still miss you, Recluse Man!

Mar 17 08 07:11 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
SME
Posts: 20,702
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US


Keith Goodman wrote:
OP -- Bravo!!

Doing the same things the same way usually result in the same results.  Bitching rarely changes anything except tagging the complainer as a complainer.

Good post.

Ha!  Yeah, how does that saying go?  Something like, 'The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results?'

Mar 17 08 07:12 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
MUA debbie
Posts: 25
San Diego, California, US


very insightful!!
Mar 17 08 07:13 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
SME
Posts: 20,702
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US


normad wrote:
Now, what happens if you are thinking of ranting but you decide to mentally castrate
yourself but not rant about it because it is not such a big deal? And you're OK with
getting a few flakes here and there, since in the end, (for me) it's about the fun
and the pics rather than making money... Should I still change my method?

It's an honest question, your suggestion makes a lot of sense, but then I'm happy with
my current way and I'm OK with a flake here and there ... So I'm thinking of using
a coin toss or something ... (any thoughts?)

If you're okay with how you work, then you're okay with it.  I'm sure we've all run into a flake or two, but it shouldn't be an epidemic problem, particularly if you're shooting with people who have worked with other folks.  You can ask around the local photographic community about them, check with the people they've shot with to see what they're like, etc.

Anyway, that was really just one example.  I could have easily have used the creepy photographer rant example.

Mar 17 08 07:13 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Piscis Noctis
Posts: 10,997
Santa Rosa, California, US


Sita Mae wrote:
Ha!  Yeah, how does that saying go?  Something like, 'The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results?'

Actually, with computers you can make it true :-)
you sometimes get one result after doing something, and sometimes
you get another :-) I know you were not thinking of that, but again, microstates can
make that happen ...

Mar 17 08 07:14 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Collin J. Rae
Posts: 7,649
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US


Sita Mae wrote:

I still miss you, Recluse Man!

Jay Bowman spotted me this weekend....well more than spotted me = )

Mar 17 08 07:14 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Christopher Hartman
Posts: 53,245
Buena Park, California, US


Sita Mae wrote:
I wonder sometimes, amidst the plethora of accusatory threads that go back and forth between models and photographers, if it ever occurs to people to consider whether they are the source of their own problem.

Here's a little trick I use in my own life that may be of use to some of you:

If you find yourself running into the same problem over and over and over again in different situations with different people...you're the common denominator.  The problem might not be with them, but with you.

Example:

All the threads bitching about unreliable models.  If you run into that on a weekly basis, maybe there are other steps you can take to vet the models before you shoot them.  Have you talked with photographers they've shot with?  Do you have a good idea of what their reputation is like?  Do some homework.  It can save you all manner of grief.

Maybe consider getting inventive about ways to create solid, dependable working relationships.  Isn't that a better way to spend your time than in constant frustration, venting on MM? 

Anyway.  Just a thought.

This is crazy talk.  Simply just not possible!  You should be ashamed to have written this.










wink



Good Read

Mar 17 08 07:14 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Piscis Noctis
Posts: 10,997
Santa Rosa, California, US


(and I didn't say it, but thank you OP for being smart and constructive!!! ~..~)
Mar 17 08 07:15 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
SME
Posts: 20,702
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US


normad wrote:

Actually, with computers you can make it true :-)
you sometimes get one result after doing something, and sometimes
you get another :-) I know you were not thinking of that, but again, microstates can
make that happen ...

You are so fired for using that example.  LOL

Mar 17 08 07:17 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
paoloALFANTE
Posts: 187
Los Angeles, California, US


Wow.

-Paolo
Mar 17 08 07:17 pm  Link  Quote 
12345last   Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers