login info join!
Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Disgusting, disrespectful & vulgar...more hatemail Search   Reply
123last
Photographer
DVS
Posts: 9,989
Detroit, Michigan, US


I recently decided to place a few of my matted images on eBay for sale including "Sacred Heart".  Apparently, someone doesn't like my art...

"These are disgusting and totally disrespectful to Catholics and Christians everywhere. Shame on you for displaying such vulgarity. Maria"

My reply:

"Hello Maria, Thank you for your email. Vulgarity, as is beauty, always lies deep within the eyes and mind of the beholder. Within mine, these images are adoring tributes to the traditional Virgin Mary/Sacred Heart icongraphy created within the bodily form we ourselves were created. Many artists in our great history have depicted scared imagery to include the natural and most beautiful human form. We are truly His greatest work. This is no different in my eyes. I sincerely feel that art is only disrespectful if the intent of its creation was that of disrespect. My intent was not and nowheres near such. I am truly sorry that you cannot see what I, the artist, see within it. The message still exists if you allow your eyes to open. DVS"

Her reply:

"The Virgin Mary is a model of MODESTY throughout the Church... are you familiar at all with the Church? You are aiming at the shock value of it- not the beauty... this is vulgar and will never be accepted - even as art- in the eyes of anyone who calls themselves Christian. They need to look up the meaning of the word if they think they are."

My reply:

"Very true. Within the orthodoxy, modesty has always been a factor within the Blessed Mary, but baring the breasts is not immodest. Conduct a search of Virgin Mary nursing and you will see many Christian art (some even sanctioned by churches) depicting a bare breasted Mary with the child Savior dating back as far as the 12th century. One specific church in Scotland also features a statue of a young Virgin wearing sheer garments with clearly erect nipples. Then there's the lactation miracle of St Bernard of Clairvaux where the Virgin Mary is literally squirting breast milk from her bare breast unto St Bernard's face and mouth. Are these considered vulgar as well? No and the Christin church never thought so either. And as far as acceptance of "my" art, "Sacred Heart" is actually my best selling piece and the one I won the most awards with. Not because they close-mindedly see it as "shock" as you do, but because they see the true divine beauty within it. ..as they will also see the divine beauty with my upcoming pregnant Virgin image."

Art is fun...at least she didn't call me a "pale ass motherf***ing douche bag" or a "funky d**kless wonder"...I miss that guy already.  =\

Maybe she will prove to be my new friend... =P

EDIT:  Oh yea, I put her email and my reply in the Q&A section of the auction for all to read.  big_smile
May 11 08 11:15 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Kas_
Posts: 11,107
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada


lol


If I had any $$$ I'd totally get one of those tongue
May 11 08 11:18 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Jellokittie
Posts: 10,029
Tampa, Florida, US


I
May 11 08 11:18 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Fifi
Posts: 58,132
Annapolis, Maryland, US


I think it's a gorgeous image.... it amazes me how people are soo quick to get offended that they don't see the beauty all around the.
May 11 08 11:19 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DVS
Posts: 9,989
Detroit, Michigan, US


Kas_ wrote:
lol


If I had any $$$ I'd totally get one of those tongue

I take post-dated checks or fresh baked cookies!

May 11 08 11:20 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Kas_
Posts: 11,107
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada


DVS wrote:

I take post-dated checks or fresh baked cookies!

But said cookies will not be fresh upon delivery sad

May 11 08 11:21 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DVS
Posts: 9,989
Detroit, Michigan, US


Jellokittie wrote:
I
May 11 08 11:21 pm  Link  Quote 
Wardrobe Stylist
Dave the design student
Posts: 45,198
Detroit, Michigan, US


DVS wrote:
The Virgin Mary is a model of MODESTY

Does she have an escort?

May 11 08 11:21 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Face-Off
Posts: 4,153
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada


lol It shocks me how some people can get so pissed off about something so simple. The image is beautiful and if she doesn't like it, then all she has to do is back-click.
May 11 08 11:23 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DVS
Posts: 9,989
Detroit, Michigan, US


Miss Fifi-Alexis wrote:
I think it's a gorgeous image.... it amazes me how people are soo quick to get offended that they don't see the beauty all around the.

Thank you kindly.  It as also one of the most fun images to do as well, although the smoke from the flaming heart in front of her killed many brain cells, it was totally worth it.

May 11 08 11:23 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
B Browder Photo
Posts: 14,635
Charleston, South Carolina, US


Like Ricky Nelson said, "you can't please everyone so you have to please yourself"
May 11 08 11:24 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DVS
Posts: 9,989
Detroit, Michigan, US


Dave the design student wrote:

Does she have an escort?

I think she drives a Beamer actually.

May 11 08 11:24 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DVS
Posts: 9,989
Detroit, Michigan, US


Face-Off wrote:
lol It shocks me how some people can get so pissed off about something so simple. The image is beautiful and if she doesn't like it, then all she has to do is back-click.

Yea...did you notice I put her comment on the Q&A part of the auction for all to read?  big_smile

May 11 08 11:25 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Face-Off
Posts: 4,153
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada


DVS wrote:

Yea...did you notice I put her comment on the Q&A part of the auction for all to read?  big_smile

Hahahahahahah! Nice! XD

May 11 08 11:25 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DVS
Posts: 9,989
Detroit, Michigan, US


Bernie Browder  wrote:
Like Ricky Nelson said, "you can't please everyone so you have to please yourself"

That is masturbation and I don't think Mary (the commenter) would approve of that either.

May 11 08 11:26 pm  Link  Quote 
Wardrobe Stylist
Dave the design student
Posts: 45,198
Detroit, Michigan, US


DVS wrote:
I think she drives a Beamer actually.

But she doesn't do nudes...

The image is pretty great, btw!

May 11 08 11:26 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Sianne Keely
Posts: 1,209
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia


You're very well spoken which I'm sure caused some frustration on their end.
May 11 08 11:28 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DVS
Posts: 9,989
Detroit, Michigan, US


Dave the design student wrote:

But she doesn't do nudes...

The image is pretty great, btw!

But you should seriously Google "lactation miracle" to see her squirt!

May 11 08 11:28 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DVS
Posts: 9,989
Detroit, Michigan, US


Kas_ wrote:

But said cookies will not be fresh upon delivery sad

Trues...sad.

May 11 08 11:29 pm  Link  Quote 
Wardrobe Stylist
Dave the design student
Posts: 45,198
Detroit, Michigan, US


DVS wrote:

But you should seriously Google "lactation miracle" to see her squirt!

lol
I usually have to pay extra for that miracle...

May 11 08 11:29 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jay Edwards
Posts: 17,810
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US


DVS wrote:
I recently decided to place a few of my matted images on eBay for sale including "Sacred Heart".  Apparently, someone doesn't like my art...

"These are disgusting and totally disrespectful to Catholics and Christians everywhere. Shame on you for displaying such vulgarity. Maria"

My reply:

"Hello Maria, Thank you for your email. Vulgarity, as is beauty, always lies deep within the eyes and mind of the beholder. Within mine, these images are adoring tributes to the traditional Virgin Mary/Sacred Heart icongraphy created within the bodily form we ourselves were created. Many artists in our great history have depicted scared imagery to include the natural and most beautiful human form. We are truly His greatest work. This is no different in my eyes. I sincerely feel that art is only disrespectful if the intent of its creation was that of disrespect. My intent was not and nowheres near such. I am truly sorry that you cannot see what I, the artist, see within it. The message still exists if you allow your eyes to open. DVS"

Her reply:

"The Virgin Mary is a model of MODESTY throughout the Church... are you familiar at all with the Church? You are aiming at the shock value of it- not the beauty... this is vulgar and will never be accepted - even as art- in the eyes of anyone who calls themselves Christian. They need to look up the meaning of the word if they think they are."

My reply:

"Very true. Within the orthodoxy, modesty has always been a factor within the Blessed Mary, but baring the breasts is not immodest. Conduct a search of Virgin Mary nursing and you will see many Christian art (some even sanctioned by churches) depicting a bare breasted Mary with the child Savior dating back as far as the 12th century. One specific church in Scotland also features a statue of a young Virgin wearing sheer garments with clearly erect nipples. Then there's the lactation miracle of St Bernard of Clairvaux where the Virgin Mary is literally squirting breast milk from her bare breast unto St Bernard's face and mouth. Are these considered vulgar as well? No and the Christin church never thought so either. And as far as acceptance of "my" art, "Sacred Heart" is actually my best selling piece and the one I won the most awards with. Not because they close-mindedly see it as "shock" as you do, but because they see the true divine beauty within it. ..as they will also see the divine beauty with my upcoming pregnant Virgin image."

Art is fun...at least she didn't call me a "pale ass motherf***ing douche bag" or a "funky d**kless wonder"...I miss that guy already.  =\

Maybe she will prove to be my new friend... =P

EDIT:  Oh yea, I put her email and my reply in the Q&A section of the auction for all to read.  big_smile

Why choose to waste your time giving grief to someone who doesn't share your ''vision''?  Why not turn the other cheek and let this person have their beliefs?  Just saying.  I am an atheist, in case that matters.

May 11 08 11:32 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DVS
Posts: 9,989
Detroit, Michigan, US


Sianne wrote:
You're very well spoken which I'm sure caused some frustration on their end.

Let's see if she responds back...let us hope so.  I don;t have much to do tonight.

May 11 08 11:33 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Feral Oneiric
Posts: 5,949
Portland, Oregon, US


Dammit!

I actually go out of my way sometimes to get people to write me hatemail, and I never fuckin' get any!
May 11 08 11:34 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
B Browder Photo
Posts: 14,635
Charleston, South Carolina, US


OK maybe I am out of the loop, but you mean there are trolls on ebay looking for reasons to ridicule people for what they are selling?
May 11 08 11:36 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DVS
Posts: 9,989
Detroit, Michigan, US


JayEdwards wrote:
Why choose to waste your time giving grief to someone who doesn't share your ''vision''?  Why not turn the other cheek and let this person have their beliefs?  Just saying.  I am an atheist, in case that matters.

For the same reason that when my Blackberry beeps to say that I have email I have to run to it to read it.  I can't help myself.  It's a sickness maybe.  And I wasn't trying to giver her grief...she chose to send me her unsolicited critique and I replied with my thoughts of its creation.  True, I didn't think it would change her mind, but it's hard for a Scorpio to turn the other cheek.  big_smile

May 11 08 11:36 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DVS
Posts: 9,989
Detroit, Michigan, US


Feral Oneiric wrote:
Dammit!

I actually go out of my way sometimes to get people to write me hatemail, and I never fuckin' get any!

I will send you some...maybe in a tag.

May 11 08 11:37 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DVS
Posts: 9,989
Detroit, Michigan, US


Bernie Browder  wrote:
OK maybe I am out of the loop, but you mean there are trolls on ebay looking for reasons to ridicule people for what they are selling?

Who knew?  big_smile

May 11 08 11:37 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DVS
Posts: 9,989
Detroit, Michigan, US


Dave the design student wrote:

lol
I usually have to pay extra for that miracle...

They call that an offering...pass the basket.

May 11 08 11:39 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jay Edwards
Posts: 17,810
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US


DVS wrote:

For the same reason that when my Blackberry beeps to say that I have email I have to run to it to read it.  I can't help myself.  It's a sickness maybe.  And I wasn't trying to giver her grief...she chose to send me her unsolicited critique and I replied with my thoughts of its creation.  True, I didn't think it would change her mind, but it's hard for a Scorpio to turn the other cheek.  big_smile

Hey, I can't argue with that analysis.   ;-)

May 11 08 11:42 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DVS
Posts: 9,989
Detroit, Michigan, US


JayEdwards wrote:

Hey, I can't argue with that analysis.   ;-)

big_smile

May 12 08 09:22 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Trevor Mark
Posts: 11,609
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US


Meh. Seriously people are quick to judge and not find art what it really is. At least DVS does tasteful and creative work with what he thinks up.
*shakes head*
Even a Scientologist would be like, "Cool (Tom Cruise) how did you do (Tom Cruise) that?(Tom Cruise)"
May 12 08 09:27 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Diana Jo
Posts: 787
Marysville, Washington, US


I think it's a beautiful piece.  I personally believe that whatever values you hold near and dear to your heart in this lifetime are those you will be judged on in the afterlife (ie, Adultery is wrong, but you commit it anyhow....) and not what a very popular book says.  I hate how prudish American society is and often wish I'd been born in Europe where nekid boobies hardly raises an eyebrow.
May 12 08 09:29 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
mm display name
Posts: 4,076


I thought all further hatemail was going to be directed to me!
May 12 08 09:30 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Alicia_NudeModel
Posts: 1,550
MOORESTOWN, New Jersey, US


I am a bad catholic because it doesnt offend me!!!
May 12 08 09:33 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DVS
Posts: 9,989
Detroit, Michigan, US


Trevor Mark wrote:
Meh. Seriously people are quick to judge and not find art what it really is. At least DVS does tasteful and creative work with what he thinks up.
*shakes head*
Even a Scientologist would be like, "Cool (Tom Cruise) how did you do (Tom Cruise) that?(Tom Cruise)"

Thanks!  And Tom Cruise is now a speech impediment?

May 13 08 06:30 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DVS
Posts: 9,989
Detroit, Michigan, US


Diana Jo wrote:
(ie, Adultery is wrong, but you commit it anyhow....)

Wait...are you watching me?  I thought I heard a shutter sound from the bushes.

May 13 08 06:32 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DVS
Posts: 9,989
Detroit, Michigan, US


Spade wrote:
I thought all further hatemail was going to be directed to me!

You are tagged...

May 13 08 06:33 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DVS
Posts: 9,989
Detroit, Michigan, US


Cherry Von Jersey wrote:
I am a bad catholic because it doesnt offend me!!!

No, you are the good kind...yummy.

May 13 08 06:36 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Kemmie T x10
Posts: 7,486
Atlanta, Georgia, US


DVS wrote:
I recently decided to place a few of my matted images on eBay for sale including "Sacred Heart".  Apparently, someone doesn't like my art...

"These are disgusting and totally disrespectful to Catholics and Christians everywhere. Shame on you for displaying such vulgarity. Maria"

My reply:

"Hello Maria, Thank you for your email. Vulgarity, as is beauty, always lies deep within the eyes and mind of the beholder. Within mine, these images are adoring tributes to the traditional Virgin Mary/Sacred Heart icongraphy created within the bodily form we ourselves were created. Many artists in our great history have depicted scared imagery to include the natural and most beautiful human form. We are truly His greatest work. This is no different in my eyes. I sincerely feel that art is only disrespectful if the intent of its creation was that of disrespect. My intent was not and nowheres near such. I am truly sorry that you cannot see what I, the artist, see within it. The message still exists if you allow your eyes to open. DVS"

Her reply:

"The Virgin Mary is a model of MODESTY throughout the Church... are you familiar at all with the Church? You are aiming at the shock value of it- not the beauty... this is vulgar and will never be accepted - even as art- in the eyes of anyone who calls themselves Christian. They need to look up the meaning of the word if they think they are."

My reply:

"Very true. Within the orthodoxy, modesty has always been a factor within the Blessed Mary, but baring the breasts is not immodest. Conduct a search of Virgin Mary nursing and you will see many Christian art (some even sanctioned by churches) depicting a bare breasted Mary with the child Savior dating back as far as the 12th century. One specific church in Scotland also features a statue of a young Virgin wearing sheer garments with clearly erect nipples. Then there's the lactation miracle of St Bernard of Clairvaux where the Virgin Mary is literally squirting breast milk from her bare breast unto St Bernard's face and mouth. Are these considered vulgar as well? No and the Christin church never thought so either. And as far as acceptance of "my" art, "Sacred Heart" is actually my best selling piece and the one I won the most awards with. Not because they close-mindedly see it as "shock" as you do, but because they see the true divine beauty within it. ..as they will also see the divine beauty with my upcoming pregnant Virgin image."

Art is fun...at least she didn't call me a "pale ass motherf***ing douche bag" or a "funky d**kless wonder"...I miss that guy already.  =\

Maybe she will prove to be my new friend... =P

EDIT:  Oh yea, I put her email and my reply in the Q&A section of the auction for all to read.  big_smile

Marry. Me. Please.

May 13 08 08:55 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Trevor Mark
Posts: 11,609
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US


DVS wrote:

Thanks!  And Tom Cruise is now a speech impediment?

No, he's a subliminal message.

May 13 08 08:59 pm  Link  Quote 
123last   Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers