login info join!
This thread was locked on 2010-12-07 04:15:56. Reason: Old thread bumped up
Forums > Critique > 16-year-old model? NO WAY! Search   Reply
first12
Photographer
blk_photography
Posts: 188
Norfolk, Virginia, US


Hay, I shoot a 16y/o on location with her Moms right there.  We all had a blast and her moms was soooo much help.  So I'm all for the one reply to get cha eduation because when its all said and done.  Thats what you'll have to help get you threw life.
Nov 01 08 12:05 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Bob Jones Photography
Posts: 605
Syracuse, New York, US


I'm shooting a 15-year-old next weekend.  Second time we've worked together.
Nov 01 08 01:35 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Sophia Elizabeth Model
Posts: 4,762
Ann Arbor, Michigan, US


Be careful with who you shoot with and the type of shoots you do. But, more power to you for starting young smile
Nov 01 08 01:44 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
kelzea hartnett
Posts: 94
Shepherdsville, Kentucky, US


I understand your frustration. I am your age, with a little experience. I was with an agency for a year, went on countless auditions, and got a few jobs. It's part of the modeling world at any age. The hardest part right now seems to be being kinda stuck in the middle, too old for this , too young for that. Keep it up dont be discouraged , you are very beautiful, and if it's in your heart, it will show in your work. smile
~Kelzea
Nov 01 08 05:51 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Food 4 Less
Posts: 377
Los Angeles, California, US


Good age to start working for a modeling career is 14-16.

Whether this is good for your personal development is another question. You'll probably not get the best education, though I know a few who had modeled and went on to Ivy League. It gets tough tho.
Nov 01 08 05:57 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
SPierce Photography
Posts: 19,566
Amherst, Massachusetts, US


Kai Lansangan wrote:
Would you work with me right now despite my age? Or would you not work with me because of my age? Or would you just not work with me period?

So heres the question: Was is smart for me to start modeling at 16? Or was it best if I waited a couple years from now?

A- Yes, as long as a parent is with you and a release is signed, and the parent is with us at all times, I don't mind working with you even with your age.

http://modelmayhm-6.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/081016/00/48f6c36e4416e_m.jpg

my fav shot in your port, at the very least i'd do some beauty with you. Do want to see more full body shots in your port.

And B- if it makes you happy, then by all means model and continue to do so.  the more experience that you have, the better off you will be in the future! You will get some photographers that won't work with you due to age, but there are plenty others that will.

Nov 01 08 05:59 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
joe duerr
Posts: 4,189
Santa Ana, California, US


Kai Lansangan wrote:
Would you work with me right now despite my age? Or would you not work with me because of my age? Or would you just not work with me period?


So heres the question: Was is smart for me to start modeling at 16? Or was it best if I waited a couple years from now?

After looking at your images I would work with you any time.
Yes there is a lot of modeling work for models 14 and over.
Five foot 3 not so much... but, you already knew that.

Nov 01 08 05:59 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Stockholm
Posts: 109
Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden


What!? You should start modeling when you want(ed) to.
Nov 01 08 06:03 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
XENA KAI
Posts: 840
Los Angeles, California, US


I just looked it up right now for teen modeling you have to be 5'7"
Well Im not really sure, it said that on a couple pages when I googled. Maybe I googled wrong? Who knows.
Nov 02 08 01:24 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
FashionTime
Posts: 675
Laguna Beach, California, US


Ask

Gisele Bundchen age 14

http://www.perfectpeople.net/photo-picture-image-media/Gisele-Bundchen-425x789-53kb-media-258-media-0391.jpg

Alessandra Ambrosio age 14

http://www.perfectpeople.net/photo-picture-image-media/Alessandra-Ambrosio-1365x1818-220kb-media-726-media-140944-1222497302.jpg

Adriana Lima age 13
http://www.perfectpeople.net/photo-picture-image-media/Adriana-Lima-406x763-70kb-media-589-media-0097.jpg

Chanel Iman  age 15 (millionaire at 16)
http://images.fashionmodeldirectory.com/model/000000143456-chanel_iman-fit.jpg

Tanya D  age 15 (millionaire at 16)
http://teenvogue.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/09/05/1299922801_f2627c4af5_b.jpg

and the list goes on
Nov 02 08 01:42 am  Link  Quote 
Model
XENA KAI
Posts: 840
Los Angeles, California, US


Well is there work for a short, 16 year old model?
Nov 02 08 01:36 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ShutterMeShort Photo
Posts: 733
Portland, Oregon, US


Victoria's secret discovers most of their girls at 14-18......   You are not to young to model....   There is a market for EVERYTHING!   Its only illegal to shoot you nekkid......   continue with your dream but respect the fact that some photographers are going to be weary of shooting a minor because this country has become crazy lawsuit happy.
Nov 02 08 02:33 am  Link  Quote 
Model
XENA KAI
Posts: 840
Los Angeles, California, US


SMS Photography wrote:
Victoria's secret discovers most of their girls at 14-18......   You are not to young to model....   There is a market for EVERYTHING!   Its only illegal to shoot you nekkid......   continue with your dream but respect the fact that some photographers are going to be weary of shooting a minor because this country has become crazy lawsuit happy.

Yes I know smile
But those girls are tall, how about a young short model? Is there any type of work for that?

Nov 02 08 02:35 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ShutterMeShort Photo
Posts: 733
Portland, Oregon, US


Kai Lansangan wrote:

Yes I know smile
But those girls are tall, how about a young short model? Is there any type of work for that?

Print and commercial.   not fashion or runway.   ill quote myself.... there is a market for EVERYTHING.....   sunglasses, travel/beach ads, family stuff almost anything commercial...   Watch an hour of TV and count how many kids you see from 14-18 and look at what they are doing.   Might give you a good idea.


You could always just do it for the hell of it since you are beautiful and you enjoy it!

Nov 02 08 02:40 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Nas-i-m
Posts: 188
Los Angeles, California, US


You can start modeling at any age, but whatever you do, just remember to finish school smile Oh, and don't let anyone discourage you from pursuing your dreams, girlie! If this is what you are pssionate about, then work hard to get to the level where you want to be and get all the experience that you can get. Oh, and being signed with an agency would probably help. Also, be careful as there are a lot of crazy and sick people in this industry who like to take advantage of young innocent girls; always have a parent or another adult you know with you when you go to photoshoots, castings, etc. Good luck my dear, keep your head up and stay beautiful! smile
Nov 02 08 03:01 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Laura BrokenDoll
Posts: 3,548
Modena, Emilia-Romagna, Italy


Aryx wrote:
2) For some type of work, you will probably be considered too short. Don't let that be a deterrent. Find stuff you like to do, and do it... even if "they" think you're too short.

in order to find PAID work, a 5' 2'' model should do glamour/impled/nudes.
and she's a minor.

but if she also aims for TF*, she'll find plenty of photogrpahers willing to colaborate with her.

Nov 02 08 06:26 am  Link  Quote 
Model
XENA KAI
Posts: 840
Los Angeles, California, US


Broken Doll wrote:
but if she also aims for TF*, she'll find plenty of photogrpahers willing to colaborate with her.

Yes but Ive collaborated a number of times now.

Nov 02 08 11:53 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Maly Phommaly
Posts: 2
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia


im at 16 years of age, and ive done many shoots, i think its a great idea to start young and fresh.
Dec 06 10 03:41 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
R Michael Walker
Posts: 11,957
Costa Mesa, California, US


Kai Lansangan wrote:
So heres the question: Was is smart for me to start modeling at 16? Or was it best if I waited a couple years from now?

Most Fashion models start younger than that. Commercial work is available for infants on up to great grandma. Glamour models..depends on the parental units since Glamour is all about sexy. In the first two genre's I'd say your height would be the main limiting factor not your age.

Dec 06 10 05:05 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Annabella Kathryn
Posts: 848
Seattle, Washington, US


im 16 too and am just starting out - very beginning!

i personally love your look / pictures. i cant even tell that your 5 2, you totally work it!
Dec 06 10 10:59 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Studio 925
Posts: 7,034
Antioch, California, US


Kai Lansangan wrote:
...
Would you work with me right now despite my age? Or would you not work with me because of my age? Or would you just not work with me period?
...

Most likely not. Not because I don't want to. Because, local clients haven't approached with a legal commercial business photo op requiring a minor. So, if you asked me, I would just point you in the direction of the local model/talent agencies who can get your look out to clients who need minor representation for their brand, label, etc. Personal project wise, for my work, exclusively involves adult age / mature women. Not saying that you are immature. Just not of legal age. Good luck.

Edited: hey wait a sec. you're 18 now. Lol.

Kai Lansangan wrote:
So heres the question: Was is smart for me to start modeling at 16? Or was it best if I waited a couple years from now?

Well, business wise, it doesn't hurt to start young. Posing wise, I have no idea. What do you think? Do you find yourself doing the same poses all the time and find it challenging as you get older to stay fresh in the posing department?

Edited: Your challenges would be the same as for photographers working hard to stay fresh and not go stale with the lighting, editing, etc.

Dec 06 10 11:09 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
JWB2
Posts: 5,965
Evansville, Indiana, US


I am confused.  Your profile saids 18 and you say you are 16.  Throughout the thread you seem to be 16 so I assume you are 16.  I also assume you are tired of doing TFCD and you want to earn money.  How do you think you will be able to earn money?  One on one with a photographer without going through a middle man?
Dec 06 10 11:21 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Celluloid Visions
Posts: 1,511
West Yellowstone, Montana, US


JWB2 wrote:
I am confused.  Your profile saids 18 and you say you are 16.  Throughout the thread you seem to be 16 so I assume you are 16.  I also assume you are tired of doing TFCD and you want to earn money.  How do you think you will be able to earn money?  One on one with a photographer without going through a middle man?

She was 16 when she started the thread Nov 1, 2008. Nothing like an old thread being dug up. Maybe we can ask her now how it worked out for her? lol.

Dec 07 10 03:06 am  Link  Quote 
first12   Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers