login info join!
Forums > Model Colloquy > photoshoot theme...any ideas? Search   Reply
Photographer
Ashes to Ashes
Posts: 3,784
Norway, Maine, US


Im the worst at coming up with ideas for photoshoots...
Im modeling for someone next week, and its up to me to think of a theme....and I have NO IDEAS.
Any suggestions.
Hes coming to me, so I have a small space to work with.
I have dresses, lingerie, etc.

If anyone could shoot some ideas my way, maybe I could take that and twist it into something unique.

Thanks!
Nov 20 08 10:05 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Laurence Moan
Posts: 7,702
Huntington Beach, California, US


I'm thinking something along the lines of a leftover turkey carcass.


And potatoes.


And lingerie.
Nov 20 08 10:14 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Sheng Her
Posts: 712
La Crosse, Wisconsin, US


Jessyka Ann wrote:
Im the worst at coming up with ideas for photoshoots...
Im modeling for someone next week, and its up to me to think of a theme....and I have NO IDEAS.
Any suggestions.
Hes coming to me, so I have a small space to work with.
I have dresses, lingerie, etc.

If anyone could shoot some ideas my way, maybe I could take that and twist it into something unique.

Thanks!

What are you going for? Commerical, glamour, fashion?

Nov 20 08 10:14 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Rachel Jay
Posts: 20,333
Hoffman Estates, Illinois, US


He doesn't have any ideas?
Nov 20 08 10:15 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Magnus Hedemark
Posts: 4,281
Raleigh, North Carolina, US


What sort of model do you have to work with?

Will you have an MUA?  Stylist?  Wardrobe?

Or is it just you & the model?
Nov 20 08 10:15 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Paul Bryson Photography
Posts: 48,035
Hollywood, Florida, US


Jessyka Ann wrote:
Im the worst at coming up with ideas for photoshoots...
Im modeling for someone next week, and its up to me to think of a theme....and I have NO IDEAS.
Any suggestions.
Hes coming to me, so I have a small space to work with.
I have dresses, lingerie, etc.

If anyone could shoot some ideas my way, maybe I could take that and twist it into something unique.

Thanks!

You, all dressed up pretty (like, almost nude), holding your camera, with a "blank stare" on your face...as if you're trying to think of something. wink

Nov 20 08 10:16 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Rachel Jay
Posts: 20,333
Hoffman Estates, Illinois, US


Magnus Hedemark wrote:
What sort of model do you have to work with?

Will you have an MUA?  Stylist?  Wardrobe?

Or is it just you & the model?

She is the model, though it looks like she posted from her photographer account...

Nov 20 08 10:17 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Ashes to Ashes
Posts: 3,784
Norway, Maine, US


yes, sorry, I figured I would just post from this account, didnt feel like switching.
IM THE MODEL.
no he doesnt have any ideas. I asked.
Its for artistic photos.
No MUA. Just me and the photographer.
Nov 20 08 10:20 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Ashes to Ashes
Posts: 3,784
Norway, Maine, US


Paul Bryson Photography wrote:

You, all dressed up pretty (like, almost nude), holding your camera, with a "blank stare" on your face...as if you're trying to think of something. wink

ha could work. him taking a few pictures of me and my camera...

Nov 20 08 10:21 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Jessyka Ann
Posts: 10,660
Hyannis, Massachusetts, US


OKAY...NOW IM ON MY MODEL MM PAGE
Nov 20 08 10:24 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Laurence Moan
Posts: 7,702
Huntington Beach, California, US


Jessyka Ann wrote:
Its for artistic photos.

In that case forget the lingerie.

Nov 20 08 10:25 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Magnus Hedemark
Posts: 4,281
Raleigh, North Carolina, US


Wardrobe:
Fedora hat and a necktie.  Period.

Setting: Urban, converted warehouse loft apartment maybe.  Lots of brick and tall narrow windows.

Prop: a saxophone
Nov 20 08 10:27 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Jessyka Ann
Posts: 10,660
Hyannis, Massachusetts, US


Magnus Hedemark wrote:
Wardrobe:
Fedora hat and a necktie.  Period.

Setting: Urban, converted warehouse loft apartment maybe.  Lots of brick and tall narrow windows.

Prop: a saxophone

HMMM but I dont have a saxaphone...

Nov 20 08 10:29 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Nickyboy
Posts: 750
Brick, New Jersey, US


Jessyka Ann wrote:
Im the worst at coming up with ideas for photoshoots...
Im modeling for someone next week, and its up to me to think of a theme....and I have NO IDEAS.
Any suggestions.
Hes coming to me, so I have a small space to work with.
Thanks!

How about something like this:
http://modelmayhm-3.vo.llnwd.net/d1/pho … 0b22af.jpg

with several varities?

Nov 20 08 10:31 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Dogbone Alt-Process
Posts: 1,016
SPARKS GLENCOE, Maryland, US


Either a length of heavy chain or a rope with large knots in it.

Do NOT wrap either around your body or even have them in the frame, but rather use your light source so the shadows cast by chain/rope do the wrapping.
Nov 20 08 10:40 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Rachel Jay
Posts: 20,333
Hoffman Estates, Illinois, US


There's always the bed smile

You can shoot stuff like this:
http://modelmayhm-4.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/080826/10/48b4185a2537b_m.jpg   http://modelmayhm-9.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/080902/12/48bd695552a34_m.jpg
Nov 20 08 10:41 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Magnus Hedemark
Posts: 4,281
Raleigh, North Carolina, US


Insatiablekisses wrote:
HMMM but I dont have a saxaphone...

Music shops rent them cheap.

Nov 20 08 10:43 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Magic Image Photography
Posts: 3,606
Temple City, California, US


Part of being a photographer is comming up with concepts ideas themes and props it is part of the job. I wonder if Picasso ever asked Shit que pasa what will i paint what will i use how will i paint my model. I hate to say it but when I see post of photogs and models asking for suggestions and ideas and themes it makes me sad. I am not putting you down but i feel your not doing your home work. Be creative be innovative think out of the box. Look at other photographers work and ask your self if you can challenge yourself to create the same or better. Good Luck on comming up with ideas but for me Photography is like sex you have to be creative or good bye baby.

Magic Image Photo
Nov 20 08 10:48 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Jessyka Ann
Posts: 10,660
Hyannis, Massachusetts, US


Nickyboy wrote:

How about something like this:
http://modelmayhm-3.vo.llnwd.net/d1/pho … 0b22af.jpg

with several varities?

he does a lot of light play, so I think that could work! thank you!

Nov 20 08 10:49 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Jessyka Ann
Posts: 10,660
Hyannis, Massachusetts, US


Magic Image Photography wrote:
Part of being a photographer is comming up with concepts ideas themes and props it is part of the job. I wonder if Picasso ever asked Shit que pasa what will i paint what will i use how will i paint my model. I hate to say it but when I see post of photogs and models asking for suggestions and ideas and themes it makes me sad. I am not putting you down but i feel your not doing your home work. Be creative be innovative think out of the box. Look at other photographers woek and ask your self if you can challage yourself to create the same or better. Good Luck on comming up with ideas but for me Photography is like sex you have to be creative or good bye baby.

Magic Image Photo

when it comes to myself modeling, I have trouble with ideas...its weird.

Nov 20 08 10:50 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Magnus Hedemark
Posts: 4,281
Raleigh, North Carolina, US


Insatiablekisses wrote:
OKAY...NOW IM ON MY MODEL MM PAGE

Ya know, on second thought, ditch the GWC and take a road trip down south.

I have lots of ideas, but little in the way of time with willing models to shoot them.

Nov 20 08 10:53 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Rachel Jay
Posts: 20,333
Hoffman Estates, Illinois, US


Insatiablekisses wrote:
when it comes to myself modeling, I have trouble with ideas...its weird.

What if you find someone who looks similar to you--similar build, face structure, hairstyle--and think "as a photographer, how would I shoot her?".  That might help... maybe?

Nov 20 08 10:54 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
MMDesign
Posts: 18,647
Louisville, Kentucky, US


Read a book to get some ideas. I'd suggest Finnegan's Wake for a start.
Nov 20 08 10:54 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Magic Image Photography
Posts: 3,606
Temple City, California, US


Insatiablekisses wrote:

when it comes to myself modeling, I have trouble with ideas...its weird.

Since your comfortable doing nudes one idea that you and the photographer might like is you covered in chocolate and stawberry syrup added with colored m and m's or sprinkles to give more texture or color.

Nov 20 08 11:02 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Jessyka Ann
Posts: 10,660
Hyannis, Massachusetts, US


Magic Image Photography wrote:

Since your comfortable doing nudes one idea that you and the photographer might like is you covered in chocolate and stawberry syrup added with colored m and m's or sprinkles to give more texture or color.

ohhhh! I like that idea! messy, but sounds like fun!
I think I might do that...
except with skittles.
and rainbow sprinkles...

Nov 20 08 11:10 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Saranade
Posts: 2
Riverside, California, US


I'm putting together a shoot and am trying to think of what theme I'd like to do as well. So far I have thought of

40's theme, black and white (pinstripes, cigarette type)

Candy raver (white wall background, bold solid colors in fun costume, and candy of course!)

Fetish theme with rope, crops, flogs, or other fetish types

Tropical swimsuit theme (beach, malibu, etc)

Matrix, industrial, dark, pvc

hope this helps

I have a profile here if you want to check out the pics I have. I have many more as well
May 04 09 07:39 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Industrielle
Posts: 420
Los Angeles, California, US


Build a house of cards, wide and short
Lay behind it
Have the photographer shoot you through the holes.

Wax your floor, put on slippery socks, run and slide, have the photog catch the fun.

Put on a blindfold, go into a mans closet, choose items by feel without looking, try them on blind.  Shoot the whole debaucle.

.... Thats 3 minutes worth of my brain expulsion. ^^  Problem is, not every idea is a practical/good idea. smile
May 04 09 07:50 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Alexandria Georgiades
Posts: 26,752
Lancaster, California, US


I have never asked my models to come up with their own idea for a shoot. So why does he want to shoot you? What does he see when he looks at you? Is it bone structure, the ability to convey and emotion, or does he just want to shoot a pretty face? Ask him questions. The problem with the model coming up with the idea may lead to the photographer not really wanting to shoot that idea.
May 04 09 07:56 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Industrielle
Posts: 420
Los Angeles, California, US


Taboo Nudes wrote:
I have never asked my models to come up with their own idea for a shoot. So why does he want to shoot you? What does he see when he looks at you? Is it bone structure, the ability to convey and emotion, or does he just want to shoot a pretty face? Ask him questions. The problem with the model coming up with the idea may lead to the photographer not really wanting to shoot that idea.

I think its true that does happen, from the model side too sometimes. 

Sometimes though, a photographer just wants a model's "personality" in their portfolio or just want to shoot something new and different for them.  Going along with someone elses idea can take you out of your box and get you to discover a new element of your style.  Many of my shoots are like that, the photographer is simply curious as to what we'd create together and have no particular expectations for the images.

Sometimes there is something very specific that we manage to catch. Sometimes we accomplish that but end up preferring the spontaneous ideas...

Different strokes. smile

May 04 09 08:33 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Alexandria Georgiades
Posts: 26,752
Lancaster, California, US


Industrielle wrote:
I think its true that does happen, from the model side too sometimes. 

Sometimes though, a photographer just wants a model's "personality" in their portfolio or just want to shoot something new and different for them.  Going along with someone elses idea can take you out of your box and get you to discover a new element of your style.  Many of my shoots are like that, the photographer is simply curious as to what we'd create together and have no particular expectations for the images.

Sometimes there is something very specific that we manage to catch. Sometimes we accomplish that but end up preferring the spontaneous ideas...

Different strokes. smile

I always discuss my concept with my models, and then we work together, playing ideas off of each other to get the final images. I'm never hard set with an idea. I love the surprises I get with my models. A concept, no matter how vague can lead to some great shots when the model and photographer work together.

I do all the makeup, hair and costumes myself and they are never really planned.

May 04 09 08:35 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
The Matthew Ross
Posts: 2,705
Tulsa, Oklahoma, US


I have so many ideas lined for future shoots  I wanna do. I get my inspiration from music videos... one of my favorite music videos has snakes, mud & jungle leaves & black mysterious makeup & wardrobe. 

That's just an example, you can use music videos & their concepts and take it as a shoot idea:)
May 04 09 08:44 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
not on MM anymore 2010
Posts: 2,515


Jessyka Ann Photography wrote:
Im the worst at coming up with ideas for photoshoots...
Im modeling for someone next week, and its up to me to think of a theme....and I have NO IDEAS.
Any suggestions.
Hes coming to me, so I have a small space to work with.
I have dresses, lingerie, etc.

If anyone could shoot some ideas my way, maybe I could take that and twist it into something unique.

Thanks!

huh? how can you do a job if you can't make up something?

May 04 09 08:46 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Industrielle
Posts: 420
Los Angeles, California, US


Taboo Nudes wrote:
I always discuss my concept with my models, and then we work together, playing ideas off of each other to get the final images. I'm never hard set with an idea. I love the surprises I get with my models. A concept, no matter how vague can lead to some great shots when the model and photographer work together.

Totally. Love it. smile

I adore vague concepts with wiggle room.  Granted, I'm a theatre kid...
This was "2 girls at a society brunch get sick of all the propriety and decide they'd prefer jacking some cheap beer from the local boys and drinking together rather than eat any more scones." smile
http://modelmayhm-3.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/090207/06/498d98a050a0a_m.jpg

This was "A bad man took little girls and made them into marionettes.  They hated him, but had become dependent on thier strings.  One day "Baby-loves-to-fight" (they were all named after their Native American ancestors and Dirty Dancing) led a revolution and the girls strangled the man with their strings.  Sadly, because of their string dependancy, they couldn't walk very well and all they could do was awesome photo shoots"  That one wasn't even my concept. smile  It was the wardrobe designer's. *love*
http://modelmayhm-3.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/081127/11/492ed1d26a90d_m.jpg

You never know what you're going to get.  Thats what I love about it!

/threadjack

May 04 09 08:48 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Industrielle
Posts: 420
Los Angeles, California, US


You can always just choose an object with an interesting shape and shoot nudes with poses inspired by the shape...

You could do "all dressed up with no where to go"... You just need a pretty dress, makeup, a clock to stare at intently and a homey setting.
May 04 09 08:50 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Ben Fry Ph0t0graphy
Posts: 9
Cincinnati, Ohio, US


Im doing this shoot tonight.

Abandoned house
Tying up the model with Jumper Cables
Fake Blood everywhere

low lighting
maybe black and white with just the red color showing
Jan 28 10 01:48 pm  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers