login info join!
Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > I've Frozen my RCMA! Please help! Search   Reply
Makeup Artist
ClaireShipman
Posts: 280
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom


Hi Guys,

I have left both my RCMA pallets in the car overnight (DUH!) and they seem to have frozen and seperated, now when I use them they look patchy on the skin and have like a thick liquid consistancy.

Do I need to buy more or is there a solution for this?

Please help, I only use these in my kit I do have Cinema secrets and FA but not enough shades to keep me going.

Im so angry at myself I dont have a $150 to respend at the moment so any ideas would be greatly apprecaited.

Thanks
Claire x
Feb 03 09 02:25 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Monique Heijboer
Posts: 785
Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands


Are they at room temperature now?

If you've just taken them out, I'd say wait a while until they warm up again, they should be fine. Happens to mine all the time. It's freezing out here.

Edit: wait.. you said "thick liquid consistency" hmmm.. mine don't do that.. they go more solid in the cold rather than more liquid.
Feb 03 09 02:28 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
LisaJohnson
Posts: 10,525
Nashville, Tennessee, US


You may want to ask Mary at Camera Ready...but, I'm fairly sure they'll be okay...you might need to take a small spatula and mix them well.  I'd definately look to put away some money for another set though...do ask Mary... www.camerareadycosmetics.com - just email them at Customer Service.

ClaireShipman wrote:
Hi Guys,

I have left both my RCMA pallets in the car overnight (DUH!) and they seem to have frozen and seperated, now when I use them they look patchy on the skin and have like a thick liquid consistancy.

Do I need to buy more or is there a solution for this?

Please help, I only use these in my kit I do have Cinema secrets and FA but not enough shades to keep me going.

Im so angry at myself I dont have a $150 to respend at the moment so any ideas would be greatly apprecaited.

Thanks
Claire x

Feb 03 09 02:29 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Monique Heijboer
Posts: 785
Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands


Lisa Johnson Makeup wrote:
You may want to ask Mary at Camera Ready...but, I'm fairly sure they'll be okay...you might need to take a small spatula and mix them well.  I'd definately look to put away some money for another set though...do ask Mary... www.camerareadycosmetics.com - just email them at Customer Service

Agreed try giving them a good stir and work them around with a spatula, see what gives.

Feb 03 09 02:32 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
ClaireShipman
Posts: 280
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom


Monique Heijboer wrote:
Are they at room temperature now?

If you've just taken them out, I'd say wait a while until they warm up again, they should be fine. Happens to mine all the time. It's freezing out here.

Edit: wait.. you said "thick liquid consistency" hmmm.. mine don't do that.. they go more solid in the cold rather than more liquid.

Yes there at room temp now, they have been for about a week, they definitely have changed consistency I have mixed them up with my spatula and they have gone runny like.

I have emailed Mary and she said she'd not experienced this and to ask you guys on the forum, I think I am going to save up for some new pallets they just dont seem right to me.

Thanks for your advice guys.

Feb 03 09 02:32 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Monique Heijboer
Posts: 785
Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands


That's not good sad and an expensive lesson. Sorry that happened to you, but you are probably looking at buying new palettes, I agree.

Edit: if you don't have the money for the full sizes right now, look into buying the sampler palettes from Mary and refill them with the colours you use the most when you run out.
Feb 03 09 03:00 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
ClaireShipman
Posts: 280
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom


Monique Heijboer wrote:
That's not good sad and an expensive lesson. Sorry that happened to you, but you are probably looking at buying new palettes, I agree.

Edit: if you don't have the money for the full sizes right now, look into buying the sampler palettes from Mary and refill them with the colours you use the most when you run out.

Thank you for your advice. I have some of the most popular shades in tubs, in the house, thankfully!

Im such an idiot! lol

Feb 03 09 03:18 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
LisaJohnson
Posts: 10,525
Nashville, Tennessee, US


you may reuse the palette by scraping it out (i do this too) and adding your foundation in.  you can always custom mix on the fly as well.  wink

ClaireShipman wrote:

Thank you for your advice. I have some of the most popular shades in tubs, in the house, thankfully!

Im such an idiot! lol

Feb 03 09 03:26 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
ClaireShipman
Posts: 280
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom


Lisa Johnson Makeup wrote:
you may reuse the palette by scraping it out (i do this too) and adding your foundation in.  you can always custom mix on the fly as well.  wink


Yes when they run out I just refill them from the tubs, my worry is I dont have enough shades so II will have to buy new pallets sad

Hmmm looks like the cash from my next job is going towards new pallets not the bills... lol

Feb 03 09 03:41 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Monique Heijboer
Posts: 785
Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands


ClaireShipman wrote:

Yes when they run out I just refill them from the tubs, my worry is I dont have enough shades so II will have to buy new pallets sad

Hmmm looks like the cash from my next job is going towards new pallets not the bills... lol

Life is all about priorities lol smile

Feb 03 09 04:04 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
KathyAragon
Posts: 959
Washington, District of Columbia, US


ClaireShipman wrote:

Yes there at room temp now, they have been for about a week, they definitely have changed consistency I have mixed them up with my spatula and they have gone runny like.

I have emailed Mary and she said she'd not experienced this and to ask you guys on the forum, I think I am going to save up for some new pallets they just dont seem right to me.

Thanks for your advice guys.

That's what happened to my palette so I had to give up and go for the other foundations I carried since it was too much to get another one so soon after ordering. I guess there is a lesson about leaving this out somewhere here for the both of us! big_smile

Feb 03 09 06:09 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Makeup Artist
Mary
Posts: 7,155
Coronado, California, US


I have never had this happen but it doesn't freeze in San Diego smile   I have heard about the separation happening one other time and I believe it was on this board so I thought maybe someone else had experienced this.   I would love to get to the bottom of it because it really is rare and there must be some explanation and I would think some way to repair it...   

I have a feeling that the product would have to be heated to the temp it was when originally mixed, remixed and then reset but thats just a wild stab at an answer...maybe this has something in it that can not be brought back to life after freezing but I am going to put some in the freezer right now and start experimenting....you have peaked my curiosity...stay tuned
Feb 03 09 07:50 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Monique Heijboer
Posts: 785
Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands


I'm curious how this turns out Mary.. as far as I know RCMA is a profesional product, made to be used under extreme circumstances, be it heat or cold, right?

OP: you are in the UK right? I know you had some pretty cold weather out there, but how cold did it actually get?
Feb 03 09 08:08 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
ClaireShipman
Posts: 280
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom


Monique Heijboer wrote:
I'm curious how this turns out Mary.. as far as I know RCMA is a profesional product, made to be used under extreme circumstances, be it heat or cold, right?

OP: you are in the UK right? I know you had some pretty cold weather out there, but how cold did it actually get?

It was before we had all this snow!

It was about -7c and they would have bene in the car throught the night so at least 8 hours.

Thanks for all your help Mary, I hope I can save them!

Feb 03 09 08:48 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
David Klasfeld
Posts: 2,665
New York, New York, US


There's nothing that could happen to cream upon freezing that can't be rectified. You just have to melt it, stir it and it will go back to normal. It may look weird, but it will apply the same. If it's in a metal palette, just hold a hair dryer over it. If it's plastic, it will be trickier because you don't want to melt the plastic into it. If that's the case, I'd scoop it out and put it in something else and then pour it back into the same palette or maybe a new palette, to be on the safe side. Let it cool for a bit so it's not so hot that it melts the plastic, but is still liquidy enough to pour.

Hope this helps!
DK
Feb 03 09 09:23 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Media Makeup
Posts: 146
Boston, Massachusetts, US


ClaireShipman wrote:
Hi Guys,

I have left both my RCMA pallets in the car overnight (DUH!) and they seem to have frozen and seperated, now when I use them they look patchy on the skin and have like a thick liquid consistancy.

Do I need to buy more or is there a solution for this?

Please help, I only use these in my kit I do have Cinema secrets and FA but not enough shades to keep me going.

Im so angry at myself I dont have a $150 to respend at the moment so any ideas would be greatly apprecaited.

Thanks
Claire x

Were your CD foundations in the cold too?  Did they remain intact?  I'm worried now because I keep my kit in my trunk most of the time!

Feb 03 09 09:31 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Vincent Ford
Posts: 667
West Hollywood, California, US


ClaireShipman wrote:
It was about -7c and they would have bene in the car throught the night so at least 8 hours.

-7c wow I guess I won't mention my day at the beach yesterday smile

Here in LA though we always worry about the opposite, stuff melting.  I have ice coolers in my car to save my lipstick.  David's idea of melting it sounds like a good one.  I'd try it with one of the shades you have more of right now and test it out.

Feb 03 09 10:26 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
ClaireShipman
Posts: 280
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom


Media Makeup wrote:

Were your CD foundations in the cold too?  Did they remain intact?  I'm worried now because I keep my kit in my trunk most of the time!

No the rest are fine but those pallets seems more air tight to me. I used to keep my kit in my trunk, not anymore! lol

Feb 03 09 11:32 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
ClaireShipman
Posts: 280
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom


David Klasfeld wrote:
There's nothing that could happen to cream upon freezing that can't be rectified. You just have to melt it, stir it and it will go back to normal. It may look weird, but it will apply the same. If it's in a metal palette, just hold a hair dryer over it. If it's plastic, it will be trickier because you don't want to melt the plastic into it. If that's the case, I'd scoop it out and put it in something else and then pour it back into the same palette or maybe a new palette, to be on the safe side. Let it cool for a bit so it's not so hot that it melts the plastic, but is still liquidy enough to pour.

Hope this helps!
DK

Thanks David, im going to try this now. Would you advise letting them cool at room temp?

Feb 04 09 05:30 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
David Klasfeld
Posts: 2,665
New York, New York, US


ClaireShipman wrote:
Thanks David, im going to try this now. Would you advise letting them cool at room temp?

No problem, and yeah, but not for too long, you want them to be able to pour smoothly into the palette. If you mean after the fact, then yes, for sure. Do not expose to any additional heat or cold until they're solid.

Hope this helps,
DK

Feb 04 09 06:08 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
ClaireShipman
Posts: 280
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom


David Klasfeld wrote:
No problem, and yeah, but not for too long, you want them to be able to pour smoothly into the palette. If you mean after the fact, then yes, for sure. Do not expose to any additional heat or cold until they're solid.

Hope this helps,
DK

This seems to have worked they have gone back solid again.

I will test them on a model tomorrow but they seem OK again!!! Thank you smile

Still need an excuse to buy some more foundations now lol I know this is off topic but anyone know any forum reviews on MUFE HD? Im rubbish with this search thing.

I love you guys, your all so helpful mwah x

Feb 04 09 07:40 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Beauty4U
Posts: 1,862
New York, New York, US


Media Makeup wrote:

Were your CD foundations in the cold too?  Did they remain intact?  I'm worried now because I keep my kit in my trunk most of the time!

YIKES!  Keeping the kit in the trunk.  I've heard enough stories to last a lifetime that I would NEVER keep my kit in the trunk.  Cars getting stolen, cars being broken into...(kit GONE)...

I'd rather take the extra 3 minutes to lift it and take it home with me

Feb 04 09 08:45 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
ClaireShipman
Posts: 280
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom


Yisell wrote:

YIKES!  Keeping the kit in the trunk.  I've heard enough stories to last a lifetime that I would NEVER keep my kit in the trunk.  Cars getting stolen, cars being broken into...(kit GONE)...

I'd rather take the extra 3 minutes to lift it and take it home with me

Your right, I wont be leaving mine in the car ever again its too much of a risk really when you think about it.

Feb 04 09 10:30 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Makeup Artist
Mary
Posts: 7,155
Coronado, California, US


I froze my lightest and darkest RCMA...  I thawed them and they are fine
Feb 04 09 11:02 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
ClaireShipman
Posts: 280
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom


Mary wrote:
I froze my lightest and darkest RCMA...  I thawed them and they are fine

Thanks Mary.

They seem to have gone back to normal now I have melted them a little and mixed them up.

Feb 04 09 11:18 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
face_case
Posts: 192
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US


i realize this is an older post, but the same thing just happened to me. I panicked as I was cleaning out my kit and opened up my rcma palette to find, cracked, almost seperated, but smooshy / slightly creamy / thick foundation!!! i am guessing that mine too have froze. I don't use them a whole lot, and often leave my kit in my trunk as well (even though the winter hasn't even been that bad this yr?) so it may have happened anytime in the past month or so, as today is the first time i actually pulled the palette out.

So, i should reheat, stir, and hope for the best?? keeping fingers crossed..  and will be more likely to just lug the thing in the house once i get home from here on out!



ClaireShipman wrote:

Thanks Mary.

They seem to have gone back to normal now I have melted them a little and mixed them up.

Mar 09 12 08:12 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Makeup Artist
Mary
Posts: 7,155
Coronado, California, US


face_case wrote:
i realize this is an older post, but the same thing just happened to me. I panicked as I was cleaning out my kit and opened up my rcma palette to find, cracked, almost seperated, but smooshy / slightly creamy / thick foundation!!! i am guessing that mine too have froze. I don't use them a whole lot, and often leave my kit in my trunk as well (even though the winter hasn't even been that bad this yr?) so it may have happened anytime in the past month or so, as today is the first time i actually pulled the palette out.

So, i should reheat, stir, and hope for the best?? keeping fingers crossed..  and will be more likely to just lug the thing in the house once i get home from here on out!




I just had this happen to a customer overseas...she sent a photo...all cracked foundation...looks like they froze at some point in shipping... I just replaced them because she paid for them and should get pretty products (don't want a customer to get these brand new like this)    but if this ever happens to you...just heat them up, they'll be fine... You can take a lighter to the surface and melt them that way.  You can microwave for just a few seconds if they are in the round containers...None of this effects the texture of the product in the long run.  Foundations are very hardy, they bounce back from a lot of abuse and still work as they should

Mar 09 12 08:48 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
face_case
Posts: 192
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US


Thanks so much for the quick reply, Mary! Glad to hear this.. was bummed thinking these were heading for the trash.
Mar 09 12 09:05 pm  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers