login info join!
Forums > Model Colloquy > Will tattoos scare agencies from signing models? Search   Reply
Model
Mark Pett
Posts: 1,153
Houston, Texas, US


Its not really in the requirements when you look on agency websites to not have tattoos, however I don't see any models, and maybe a handful of male models with tattoos. I recently got 2 small stars on my hip area and I plan on visiting agencies in new york later on this year. I just want to know are my chances slim of getting signed compared to another male model because I have this tattoo? Thanks in advance for your help.
Sep 02 09 12:44 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Chuckarelei
Posts: 9,336
Seattle, Washington, US


There have been many discussions about tattoo issues. Do a search will give you most answers.
Sep 02 09 12:47 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Marc Damon
Posts: 6,562
Biloxi, Mississippi, US


IMO models with tats generally get less work because covering it with fabric or makeup is simply never an issue if you don't have it. Some may disagree but if a photographer or agent or client sees a tat it's too easy to click 'next' so you just never hear or see the rejection.
Yes. There are tatted models who are in demand. Lots of models offer their skin art as a bonus and are successful at filling a niche by marketing themselves in that arena.
It's your body. It's your choice. But if modeling is your career, you should carefully consider how it changes your marketing strategy before putting needle to skin.
Sep 02 09 12:55 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Tropic Light
Posts: 7,241
Kailua, Hawaii, US


According to Editorial Photographers, the answer is yes.  For high-end work at the major agencies, the models are being counseled against getting ink.  Dermablend and high-end retouching costs money.
Sep 02 09 01:46 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Steph Clare
Posts: 3,447
Argyle, Florida, US


it depends.
there are a few agencies which take on heavily tattooed models and there are some that don't.

saying that, the samantha bond agency and girl management have quite a few tattooed girls because they get a lot of work in 'front' magazine, 'bizzare' etc...

but even some top models have a few little tattoos that are featured in vogue and stuff

http://watchmojo.com/blogs/images/star_wrist_tattoo.jpg


ok, that is realllllllllly tiny!
Sep 02 09 03:16 am  Link  Quote 
Model
MissSybarite
Posts: 11,863
Los Angeles, California, US


Mark Pett wrote:
Its not really in the requirements when you look on agency websites to not have tattoos, however I don't see any models, and maybe a handful of male models with tattoos. I recently got 2 small stars on my hip area and I plan on visiting agencies in new york later on this year. I just want to know are my chances slim of getting signed compared to another male model because I have this tattoo? Thanks in advance for your help.

Since you're 6'2" and meet height requirements, leave the ink at what you have and add no more.

Sep 02 09 11:05 am  Link  Quote 
Model
stevie starr
Posts: 299
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada


i've been signed to 2 agencies, and i have 4 tats. as long as they're not too large, or in a particularly concealed area, and can be covered up easily.. there usually isn't an issue. either way, i would suggest mentioning this to the agent, nonetheless.
Sep 02 09 11:52 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Mark Pett
Posts: 1,153
Houston, Texas, US


Miss Anthrope 1007 wrote:

Since you're 6'2" and meet height requirements, leave the ink at what you have and add no more.

I will do just that!

Sep 02 09 01:06 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Mark Pett
Posts: 1,153
Houston, Texas, US


stevie starr wrote:
i've been signed to 2 agencies, and i have 4 tats. as long as they're not too large, or in a particularly concealed area, and can be covered up easily.. there usually isn't an issue. either way, i would suggest mentioning this to the agent, nonetheless.

Yeah im glad i got them small as well, thanks for your help, and congrads!

Sep 02 09 01:08 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Mark Pett
Posts: 1,153
Houston, Texas, US


jo rich UK wrote:
it depends.
there are a few agencies which take on heavily tattooed models and there are some that don't.

saying that, the samantha bond agency and girl management have quite a few tattooed girls because they get a lot of work in 'front' magazine, 'bizzare' etc...

but even some top models have a few little tattoos that are featured in vogue and stuff

http://watchmojo.com/blogs/images/star_wrist_tattoo.jpg


ok, that is realllllllllly tiny!

yeah im not heavily tattooed they are out of my league lol! Thank you for the examples, i know not to get anymore than what i already have.

Sep 02 09 01:09 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
glamour pics
Posts: 6,095
Los Angeles, California, US


"Act in haste, regret at leisure." - Old Maxim

So maybe you should have asked here BEFORE getting inked, eh?

There are a handful of specialized agencies who want tatts. And that's IT.

As to the top agencies and all mainstream work, tatts are undesirable, will cost you work, and maybe even keep you from getting represented.

And you can confirm this yourself by phoning the top agencies.

"Tattoos: the decoration that keeps on costing you."
Sep 02 09 01:15 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Phyxi
Posts: 1,148
Columbus, Ohio, US


I always thought that being agency represented was not a option for me since I am decently tattooed, but there are agencies out there who would represent me? yikes
Sep 02 09 01:17 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Cygnus Studios
Posts: 101
Tiburon, California, US


Don't get confused with getting represented with getting work. There are tons of models who are signed yet don't get work.

Most commercial clients do not choose models with ink, tons of piercings, and other body modifications. It is just too simple to pick from the models who don't have these. 

Sure there is work for these models, but you are limiting your client pool with each tattoo.

This rule does not apply to major names in the industry, but rarely does the rules apply to the cream of the crop in any industry.
Sep 02 09 03:37 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Karon A Byers
Posts: 1
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US


I Have A full Sleeve Im An 18 year Old Male Model I Need Some Feedback Would I Make It Far In The Industry With A full Sleeve On My Arm That Could Be Covered
Sep 25 11 11:38 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DAVfoto
Posts: 2,324
New York, New York, US


Go check soul artist mgmt. they signed a kid with a full body of tats and i met him and hes shorter then me (im 6 flat) 

granted his face was pretty damn cool and he could do some editorial grunge shit.

regardless. if its minimal, it wont hurt that much as long as you are doing runway and fashion where its not seen..
Sep 25 11 11:46 pm  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers