login info join!
Forums > Model Colloquy > Something doesn't seem right... Search   Reply
12last
Model
Miss Salome
Posts: 322
Garden Grove, California, US


I've never heard of any company offering to pay a model half of the promised money before a shoot and half after so I was a little suspicious when I saw this: can anyone tell me if this smacks of a scam?

CREATIVE  BEAUTY MAGAZINE
Beauty is in you
605 glenview lane
Fenniville,
Michigan 49408.


SHOOT AGREEMENT / CONTRACT FORM

For and in consideration of the mutual promises herein contained, the parties hereby agree as follows.
Termination of Agreement. Agreement with Model / Applicants can only be terminated after the shoot.
Model agrees to conduct himself/herself with propriety and dignity, and to do nothing on an engagement or otherwise that may tend to injure the reputation and goodwill of Model nor to do any act or thing which impairs Model's capacity to at all times fully comply with the terms of this agreement.

Model understands and agrees that Model shall not, while this agreement is in force, enter any modeling and/or acting contest or competition organized or sponsored by any company on the date selected for this shoot.

It is understood and agreed that Model's services are extraordinary and unique and there is no adequate remedy at law of a breach of this agreement by Model, and that in the event of such a breach or threatened breach, Model shall be entitled to equitable relief by way of injunction or otherwise.

Payment: Model shall be paid a wage of $1600 for the shoot and reimbursed for any expenses incurred on part of the shoot or before (such as transport, food, lodging, etc for the day of the shoot). Part payment of $700 will be made earlier before shoot. The remaining receivable, immediately after shoot.
Model warrants that no other binding agreement is in force with any other party which would supersede this agreement.

This agreement shall be binding upon both parties hereto, their heirs, successors, assigns, etc.
BY SIGNING BELOW, MODELS AGREE TO THE TERMS CONTAINED WITHIN THIS AGREEMENT, AND ACKNOWLEDGE UNDERSTANDING OF THE TERMS CONTAINED HEREIN.

I, _________________ who’s name appear on these form, have read the above agreement and acknowledge that I have entered the true Details into this agreement with an understanding of its terms and conditions.

______________________ __________________
Model's Signature/Applicant Employer Signature



 
 
Sep 06 09 03:00 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Elizabeth Claret
Posts: 56,032
Yelm, Washington, US


Anything that offers you money beforehand is a scam.

www.newmodels.com
Sep 06 09 03:02 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Miss Salome
Posts: 322
Garden Grove, California, US


Elizabeth Claret wrote:
Anything that offers you money beforehand is a scam.

www.newmodels.com

Ok, thanks. smile

Sep 06 09 03:15 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Cherrystone
Posts: 36,524
Columbus, Ohio, US


999 times out of a thousand, if it doesn't seem right.....it ain't.

Especially from a town that is in BFE Michigan.
Sep 06 09 03:18 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
AVD AlphaDuctions
Posts: 10,533
Gatineau, Quebec, Canada


willing to bet that somehow they give you a check for more than the agreed amount and you are supposed  to cash it and give them the surplus to fund 'incidentals' for the shoot.  or some similar variant on the scam.
Sep 06 09 03:22 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Leah Michelle
Posts: 2,056
Dallas, Texas, US


They will never pay you anything up front. Sorry.
Sep 06 09 03:28 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
MLRPhoto
Posts: 5,753
Olivet, Michigan, US


Cherrystone wrote:
999 times out of a thousand, if it doesn't seem right.....it ain't.

Especially from a town that is in BFE Michigan.

It's also spelled wrong.

But, I've lived in Michigan for 52 years.  Never knew we were part of Nigeria.

Sep 06 09 03:46 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
MLRPhoto
Posts: 5,753
Olivet, Michigan, US


There is no "Glenview Ln" in Fennville.  Which isn't surprising, since there isn't much of anything there.  Pretty town though.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= … 15&iwloc=A
Sep 06 09 03:51 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Lumigraphics
Posts: 32,669
Detroit, Michigan, US


I just went right past Fennville today on my way to shoot with Rachel Jay.

OP, maybe you should send your brother there to check out the company before you go any further? :snerk:
Sep 06 09 06:26 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Finearts Photography
Posts: 699
Cleveland, Ohio, US


Isn't MM Great!
Sep 06 09 06:32 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Cherrystone
Posts: 36,524
Columbus, Ohio, US


MikeRobisonPhotos wrote:

It's also spelled wrong.

But, I've lived in Michigan for 52 years.  Never knew we were part of Nigeria.

Nigeria is not part of Egypt. smile

In 52 years, you haven't figured out that there are parts of the state that are BFE?
Dude.....you gotta get outta Ingham Co. more often. big_smile

I beat you by 4.5 years. Do I get a cookie?

And in relationship to the OP's email, F'ville is more like Antartica for fashion & photography.

Sep 06 09 06:33 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Innovative Imagery
Posts: 2,815
Los Angeles, California, US


While this probably is a scam, it is not uncommon to have a deposit to form a binding contract between parties. 

So follow up on it an if they start talking about sending you some money to forward to others, then it is the variant of the Nigerian Scam we are all so familiar with.

Let's not be so paranoid that we overlook real opportunities.
Sep 08 09 10:09 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Lumigraphics
Posts: 32,669
Detroit, Michigan, US


Innovative Imagery wrote:
While this probably is a scam, it is not uncommon to have a deposit to form a binding contract between parties. 

So follow up on it an if they start talking about sending you some money to forward to others, then it is the variant of the Nigerian Scam we are all so familiar with.

Let's not be so paranoid that we overlook real opportunities.

Uh, yeah. Probably.

Fennville is a small town in Southwestern Michigan, about an hour or so from Chicago. They grow lots of corn and soybeans but not much else goes on there.

Oh and if you knew the OP's history you'd have a good laugh too. wink

Sep 08 09 10:14 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
SLE Photography
Posts: 68,937
Orlando, Florida, US


Lumigraphics wrote:
Uh, yeah. Probably.

Fennville is a small town in Southwestern Michigan, about an hour or so from Chicago. They grow lots of corn and soybeans but not much else goes on there.

Oh and if you knew the OP's history you'd have a good laugh too. wink

+1.

Sep 08 09 10:33 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Rob Maya
Posts: 3
Los Angeles, California, US


This scammer company just started their scam gain in Los Angeles, if you go to the casting section in LA you'll find a new post from the same scammers.
Jul 23 13 10:26 am  Link  Quote 
Model
JessieLeigh
Posts: 2,025
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


Roberto   Maya wrote:
This scammer company just started their scam gain in Los Angeles, if you go to the casting section in LA you'll find a new post from the same scammers.

This thread is from 2009 and there is absolutely no reason for you to revive it.

Jul 23 13 10:29 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Laura UnBound
Posts: 27,322
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


JessieLeigh wrote:

This thread is from 2009 and there is absolutely no reason for you to revive it.

Except to let people know these particular scammers are back at it, so if youre receiving the same offer as the OP did in 2009 you need not ask if its a scam...because we've already determined that it was.


Theres a new "did GQ really send me an email!?" scam post every week, but nobody seems to have an issue with the same scam being rehashed over and over in new threads. Never bump old threads with new information, thats silly neutral

Jul 23 13 10:46 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Classic_Reflections
Posts: 442
Grand Rapids, Michigan, US


Cherrystone wrote:
Especially from a town that is in BFE Michigan.

To be fair, almost every town in Michigan is BFE. Just sayin'...

Jul 23 13 01:20 pm  Link  Quote 
Wardrobe Stylist
Tiffany_B
Posts: 1,336
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, US


JessieLeigh wrote:

This thread is from 2009 and there is absolutely no reason for you to revive it.

Except for the fact that the scam has been revived...

Here's the thing while the scam may be old news to you think of all the models who may not have seen it. Heck think of all scams that models should never fall for like the ones claiming to be from major magazines using Gmail addresses or the ones from "agencies" asking for upfront fees or claiming to be scouting models online or those without client logins or any one of 1,000 other things that I would hope people with even the tiniest shred of common sense wouldn't fall for, but they do. And because they do, it's important to our larger industry community to look out for each other. If you don't want to help the newbies or the gullible out that's your own deal and your own choice. Personally though (even though it annoys me to no end that some people seem to be incapable of doing 5 minute Google searches for veracity) I appreciate posts like the one you're complaining about because maybe (just maybe) it'll save someone some time and effort they would have wasted otherwise...

Jul 23 13 01:24 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Art of the nude
Posts: 11,868
Olivet, Michigan, US


Elizabeth Claret wrote:
Anything that offers you money beforehand is a scam.

www.newmodels.com

Not that I disagree about THIS message, but it's not terribly unusual for traveling models to ask for partial payment in advance, and I know of legit photographers who have paid.

Jul 23 13 01:34 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
JessieLeigh
Posts: 2,025
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


Tiffany_B wrote:
Except for the fact that the scam has been revived...

Here's the thing while the scam may be old news to you think of all the llamas who may not have seen it. Heck think of all scams that llamas should never fall for like the ones claiming to be from major magazines using Gmail addresses or the ones from "agencies" asking for upfront fees or claiming to be scouting llamas online or those without client logins or any one of 1,000 other things that I would hope people with even the tiniest shred of common sense wouldn't fall for, but they do. And because they do, it's important to our larger industry community to look out for each other. If you don't want to help the newbies or the gullible out that's your own deal and your own choice. Personally though (even though it annoys me to no end that some people seem to be incapable of doing 5 minute Google searches for veracity) I appreciate posts like the one you're complaining about because maybe (just maybe) it'll save someone some time and effort they would have wasted otherwise...

I see your point... I just do not believe that this revived thread is any more likely to be seen/read by new llamas than the LOOK OUT FOR SCAMS thread in the Newbie forum.

Frankly, just because I do not think threads should be revived 5 years later that does not mean I do not want to help new users. To me, this isn't helping newbies.

Hopefully the person that revived this at least took the time to report the castings...

Jul 23 13 01:45 pm  Link  Quote 
Wardrobe Stylist
Tiffany_B
Posts: 1,336
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, US


JessieLeigh wrote:
I see your point... I just do not believe that this revived thread is any more likely to be seen/read by new models than the LOOK OUT FOR SCAMS thread in the Newbie forum.

Frankly, just because I do not think threads should be revived 5 years later that does not mean I do not want to help new users. To me, this isn't helping newbies.

Hopefully the person that revived this at least took the time to report the castings...

I agree that I hope the castings were reported but beyond that we'll have to agree to be on different sides.

Whether or not this is read isn't really your concern. The person who revived it likely did it under the belief that they were being helpful and while you may have what you consider to be a more effective version of newbie outreach the fact that it's your method doesn't necessarily make it any better.

Maybe one model will see this and be saved a headache. Maybe it'll help a dozen models. Or maybe it won't benefit anyone at all. Truth: Without taking a poll after every thread and hoping for absolute honesty there's no way of gauging what works and what doesn't no matter how old or new the thread is...

Jul 23 13 02:00 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
255 West
Posts: 6,468
New York, New York, US


Jul 23 13 02:14 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
DanielShapiro
Posts: 1
Hartford, Connecticut, US


I had received a similar message today. Im guessing its a scam since in my message they asked me to wear a gown as well lol smile
Aug 05 13 10:47 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Art of the nude
Posts: 11,868
Olivet, Michigan, US


DanielShapiro wrote:
I had received a similar message today. Im guessing its a scam since in my message they asked me to wear a gown as well lol smile

smile

Maybe it a "gender independent" scam.

And, as noted above, Fennville, Mi, while a nice LITTLE town, has nothing resembling a fashion industry.  The closest they have is probably a couple people who shoot senior pictures.

Aug 05 13 11:16 am  Link  Quote 
Model
DaniNikole
Posts: 129
Sacramento, California, US


I received this scam today as well lol with a similar message

5 years later. And this thread is useful considering how when I figured it was a scam I was able to just google the "magazine" and this was the first thing that popped up
Aug 24 13 01:26 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
anna gabriel
Posts: 120
Lexington, Kentucky, US


I have received a couple of fraudulant checks in the mail that I had never even agreed to the shoot. If you get fed exed a check, thats a sign. being told to keep a portion and send another portion to the "designer" via western union-- **scam  one of my tags, the profile has alot of very uneful tips to look for. I only have 3 tags i think, it's the middle one. I would suuggest having a look.
Aug 24 13 01:38 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Guss W
Posts: 10,596
Clearwater, Florida, US


anna gabriel wrote:
I have received a couple of fraudulant checks in the mail that I had never even agreed to the shoot. ...

Notify the Post Office.  They have fraud investigators.

Aug 24 13 02:46 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Roxy Monroe
Posts: 1
BALA CYNWYD, Pennsylvania, US


Thank you this helped me a lot. They recently reached out to me..asking for information that no one in my 5 years of modeling has ever required. I stopped responding just to research. Thanks guys!
Aug 25 13 11:25 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Jelli
Posts: 13
Los Angeles, California, US


Thank goodness this thread is still active-- I was sent the same scammy message to my email and miraculously the casting post that I had responded to here on MM had disappeared! That was  red flag for me to google the magazine "Creative Beauty Magazine" and it led me back here to MM! Good to know I'm not the only one (; Thanks for your insights!
Oct 29 13 10:44 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
udor
Posts: 22,173
New York, New York, US


AVD AlphaDuctions wrote:
willing to bet that somehow they give you a check for more than the agreed amount and you are supposed  to cash it and give them the surplus to fund 'incidentals' for the shoot.  or some similar variant on the scam.

That's how the upfront fee scam works!

Oct 29 13 12:02 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
GER Photography
Posts: 7,819
Imperial, California, US


Nobody pays in advance, nobody.
Oct 29 13 12:14 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DBIphotography Toronto
Posts: 3,220
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Elizabeth Claret wrote:
Anything that offers you money beforehand is a scam.

www.newmodels.com

+1

/thread

Ðanny
http://dbi.carbonmade.com
http://www.dbiphotography.com
Posted by DBIphotography via his CrackBerry®

"The public is wonderfully tolerant. It forgives everything except genius."
~Oscar Wilde

Nov 02 13 05:15 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Marin Photography NYC
Posts: 7,201
New York, New York, US


GER Photography wrote:
Nobody pays in advance, nobody.

Exactly.

Nov 02 13 05:22 am  Link  Quote 
Model
GingerMuse
Posts: 369
STUDIO CITY, California, US


Elizabeth Claret wrote:
Anything that offers you money beforehand is a scam.

www.newmodels.com

+ 1
If it doesn't seem right, it isn't.

Nov 02 13 09:22 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Magda Kulpinska
Posts: 531
Paris, Île-de-France, France


NO magazine offres 1600usd payment.
Nov 03 13 01:47 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Uros Markovic
Posts: 1
New York, New York, US


So,i guess they were on it last few days,coz i got the same email smile
Its fantastic how people are determined to find someone and they didnt even try to change the name of the company smile
Anyway,thank you guys for this post it was really helpful.

Love to you beautiful people
Nov 04 13 07:08 am  Link  Quote 
Model
ShavonneMarie
Posts: 1
Chicago, Illinois, US


I received this in my email today. Must be a scam?

Hello,
It’s a pleasure shown great interest to partake in this great shoot. It is actually a $800 pay shoot assignment because we are having a print job for the month of December, For Fashion/ model Billboard, Calendar Promos Advert,magazine & catalogues and I want you to share in this great opportunity, these could be your time to be known all over the globe.
The location for the shoot will be in a rented studio and it will be close to your location because we do not want you to be disturbed about travelling.
Please take proper note of the following details:

1. The name and address of the studio to be used for the shoot will be disclosed to you before the date of the shooting.

2. We will take care of your make-up or make-over because we have professional specialist ready to take good care of that, also we want everything to be completely unique in this shoot.

3. You are allowed to come along to the shoot with anybody of your choice on the day of the shooting, your mum, dad friend, body-guard anybody you wish to come with just to make you feel okay and comfortable.

4. You will have 8 different fashion outfits to cover and all these outfits will be provided by our client on the day of shoot. The types of clothing will be& suits, short/long skirt, Beach Gown, Dinner Gown (Note: There is no nudity in this shoot).

5. The total pay for the jobs is $800 but you will get $300 as upfront part payment before the shoot as to show seriousness and ascertain the job, the remaining balance of $500 will be paid to you in cash at the shooting venue immediately after the shoot.

Our client's name is Mrs. Mary Wilson and magazine name that we are about to shoot is “ Creative Beauty Magazine”, she is into both male and female outfits because she is an upcoming designer she needs this shoot to help get her website packaged, this means her website is under Construction.

Waiting for your Swift response.
Thanks.
Daniel Scott
Dec 21 13 12:26 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Dean Johnson Photo
Posts: 57,292
Minneapolis, Minnesota, US


Moderator Note!

ShavonneMarie wrote:
I received this in my email today. Must be a scam?

Hello,
It’s a pleasure shown great interest to partake in this great shoot. It is actually a $800 pay shoot assignment because we are having a print job for the month of December, For Fashion/ model Billboard, Calendar Promos Advert,magazine & catalogues and I want you to share in this great opportunity, these could be your time to be known all over the globe.
The location for the shoot will be in a rented studio and it will be close to your location because we do not want you to be disturbed about travelling.
Please take proper note of the following details:

1. The name and address of the studio to be used for the shoot will be disclosed to you before the date of the shooting.

2. We will take care of your make-up or make-over because we have professional specialist ready to take good care of that, also we want everything to be completely unique in this shoot.

3. You are allowed to come along to the shoot with anybody of your choice on the day of the shooting, your mum, dad friend, body-guard anybody you wish to come with just to make you feel okay and comfortable.

4. You will have 8 different fashion outfits to cover and all these outfits will be provided by our client on the day of shoot. The types of clothing will be& suits, short/long skirt, Beach Gown, Dinner Gown (Note: There is no nudity in this shoot).

5. The total pay for the jobs is $800 but you will get $300 as upfront part payment before the shoot as to show seriousness and ascertain the job, the remaining balance of $500 will be paid to you in cash at the shooting venue immediately after the shoot.

Our client's name is Mrs. Mary Wilson and magazine name that we are about to shoot is “ Creative Beauty Magazine”, she is into both male and female outfits because she is an upcoming designer she needs this shoot to help get her website packaged, this means her website is under Construction.

Waiting for your Swift response.
Thanks.
Daniel Scott

Yes, that's a scam.

Please see this video and read the articles: 
Avoiding scams: The basics

Watch the video and read the article.

Dec 21 13 01:06 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
JGARN 1
Posts: 4
Los Angeles, California, US


Sh!t...same thing here. I wondered what was up, so I asked detailed informational questions. Let's see...
Dec 21 13 11:36 pm  Link  Quote 
12last   Search   Reply