login info join!
Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > chemical relaxers vs. keratin treatments Search   Reply
Photographer
Becks
Posts: 31,792
Atlanta, Georgia, US


Please don't beat me, I am genuine in my questions and am not intentionally being a moron, so forgive the following:

Which method gives straighter results? I realise that neither are technically straightners, but on my hair I know relaxers make my super thick frizzy hair from hell pretty much pin straight, and from what I've googled keratin treatments have similar results to relaxers. If I'm wrong, sorry. Hit me with the stupid stick, I'm no stylist and I'm well aware, lol.

Of the two, which do you prefer? If it's keratin, what method (brazillian, coppola, etc)?
Feb 21 10 03:41 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Awesometographer
Posts: 10,973
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


I've heard more good things for Keratin vs traditional chemical ones.
Feb 21 10 07:19 pm  Link  Quote 
Hair Stylist
Kristin Jackson Hair
Posts: 263
Brooklyn, New York, US


keratin will not make your hair straight...
it relaxes up to 80% of your curl.. takes down frizz, and makes it easier to style your hair...
it is seriously awesome.. but it is not perminent... and it won't make your hair poker straight, and requires certain shampoos... They are great tho because they slowly wash out, so you don't get the horrible roots when you are growing it out...

There are different relaxers and they are all different..
you can have cold process relaxers and hot process relaxers (japanese straightening)
if you want flat poker straight hair you will want the japanese... but that is what you are stuck with if you do it.. it makes your hair difficult to curl.  But you literally wash it, and let it air dry and it is straight.  I did it to my sister a few years ago and now she is addicted and I don't think she will ever let me off the hook of doing them

cold process relaxers will straighten your hair, but you could still have some wave left to it..
the japanese and cold process relaxer are usually the same chemical just the japanese adds a few more steps, so the price gets a lot higher
Feb 21 10 08:36 pm  Link  Quote 
Hair Stylist
Kristin Jackson Hair
Posts: 263
Brooklyn, New York, US


oh and I prefer coppala.. more ones that are labeled just brazillian contain so much formaldehyde and stuff they are terrible for you
Feb 21 10 08:38 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Becks
Posts: 31,792
Atlanta, Georgia, US


Kristin Jackson Hair wrote:
keratin will not make your hair straight...
it relaxes up to 80% of your curl.. takes down frizz, and makes it easier to style your hair...
it is seriously awesome.. but it is not perminent... and it won't make your hair poker straight, and requires certain shampoos... They are great tho because they slowly wash out, so you don't get the horrible roots when you are growing it out...

There are different relaxers and they are all different..
you can have cold process relaxers and hot process relaxers (japanese straightening)
if you want flat poker straight hair you will want the japanese... but that is what you are stuck with if you do it.. it makes your hair difficult to curl.  But you literally wash it, and let it air dry and it is straight.  I did it to my sister a few years ago and now she is addicted and I don't think she will ever let me off the hook of doing them

cold process relaxers will straighten your hair, but you could still have some wave left to it..
the japanese and cold process relaxer are usually the same chemical just the japanese adds a few more steps, so the price gets a lot higher

Thank you! I knew the keratin wouldn't make my hair pin straight, but I was just wondering how much of the curl it "really" kills, vs. the before/afters they show on the ads, I guess. And I think I am like your sister, I love pin straight hair big_smile But I know the japanese treatment is like ridiculous expensive so it's either the coppola keratin treatment (my salon offers it vs. the others) or a traditional cold process relaxer. I'm not sure which is better though, for what I want and what my budget is. Grah!

I had my hair relaxed before a couple of times, and it came out pretty much perfectly straight, but I let it grow out like a moron and when I went to a different place to have it done again, it didn't work. I have no idea why, but I walked out with poofier, frizzier hair than I'd gone in with. It left me a little paranoid that nothing will ever work on my hair sad

Feb 21 10 09:20 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Becks
Posts: 31,792
Atlanta, Georgia, US


PS. Your styling is breathtaking. Beautiful, beautiful work. Love your port like woah.
Feb 21 10 09:21 pm  Link  Quote 
Hair Stylist
Kristin Jackson Hair
Posts: 263
Brooklyn, New York, US


Thank you!
I totally love the keratin treatment.. but i would never recommend it to someone looking for straight hair.. I hate how the adds show peope with perfect straight hair because that is how it looks when you leave the salon but not how it will look after its washed...  When you get the keratin treatment we have to flat iron the hair to make it work. that is why it looks super sleek in the pics.
The two different salons probably used different brand relaxers.. either that or the one that it didn't work as well was probably too scared to leave it on long enough..  My favorite brand is Matrix opti-smooth.. you can use it for hot and cold relaxers.  seriously the only matrix product that i like lol.. but it has a great pre-treatment and the neutralizer is very conditioning and the post-treatment conditioner helps a lot.  My sisters and my clients hair honestly feels nicer after the relaxer than before
My biggest advice if you are going to keep doing them is to find one stylist and stick to it.. that way your product won't change and she will know how long to keep it on for.  Make sure that they are checking your progress and not just putting it on for the time it says and then rinsing... you need to do test strands to see if it broke the curl pattern.  My sister's hair is tough to break and she takes pretty much the maximum time, but people are always shy with doing that because they are scared of damaging the hair.
Feb 21 10 09:34 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Becks
Posts: 31,792
Atlanta, Georgia, US


Kristin Jackson Hair wrote:
Thank you!
I totally love the keratin treatment.. but i would never recommend it to someone looking for straight hair.. I hate how the adds show peope with perfect straight hair because that is how it looks when you leave the salon but not how it will look after its washed...  When you get the keratin treatment we have to flat iron the hair to make it work. that is why it looks super sleek in the pics.
The two different salons probably used different brand relaxers.. either that or the one that it didn't work as well was probably too scared to leave it on long enough..  My favorite brand is Matrix opti-smooth.. you can use it for hot and cold relaxers.  seriously the only matrix product that i like lol.. but it has a great pre-treatment and the neutralizer is very conditioning and the post-treatment conditioner helps a lot.  My sisters and my clients hair honestly feels nicer after the relaxer than before
My biggest advice if you are going to keep doing them is to find one stylist and stick to it.. that way your product won't change and she will know how long to keep it on for.  Make sure that they are checking your progress and not just putting it on for the time it says and then rinsing... you need to do test strands to see if it broke the curl pattern.  My sister's hair is tough to break and she takes pretty much the maximum time, but people are always shy with doing that because they are scared of damaging the hair.

You're welcome-- seriously, I'm in awe of your work, it's lovely!

Yeah, it's really confusing how they do the before/afters. I want the "final look" after, not the "after that we've meticulously styled and flat ironed". I dig straight hair because it's easier, you don't have to do a lot-- my nat. hair is like an overgrown brillopad and it takes 3 hours to brush and flat iron. If I shower beforehand, you may as well forget it because you have to add in blow drying. Sucks.

I think that's probably what happened, I don't think they left it on long enough. I have thick dry frizz and that scares some of them. I also don't remember them checking test strands at that salon.

Thanks so much for the advice big_smile

Feb 21 10 09:52 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Rachel Lisa
Posts: 2,975
Cincinnati, Ohio, US


I have the Keratin, and I'll never go without it again...aside from having drop-dead gorgeous beach waves, it's like zero-frizz, wash and wear hair. Just running my fingers through it while I blow dry it makes it straight.  Actually come to thing of it, there's a pic of me in my port on here with mine done. Yes, I styled it a little, but there was no straightening with any irons done. And I used to have wayyyy big Jersey Mall curly hair.

Just make sure you use a sulfate-free shampoo after you get it to keep it lasting longer. I like the Enjoy line.
Feb 22 10 01:21 am  Link  Quote 
Model
E R I N _
Posts: 1,234
San Francisco, California, US


Ooh I've been wanting to get the Keratin done as well! I've been trying to research which are the safest, i.e. contain the least (if not none) formaldehyde in the formulas. From what I understand, just as when used for embalming, the formadehyde is only added as a preserving agent to the formula, and does not assist in the straightening of the hair at all.

I've heard mixed reviews about the Coppola, and good reviews about the Global Keratin Treatment. Anyone have any experiences with it?

Here's a good read for certain "safer" brands. They list their availability in salons in NY, but maybe they're available more local to you as well.
http://newyork.timeout.com/articles/spa … d-straight
(read the comments as well)
Feb 22 10 01:47 am  Link  Quote 
Hair Stylist
Kristin Jackson Hair
Posts: 263
Brooklyn, New York, US


i think that anyone that had a bad review of the coppala went to a stylist that "knows what they are doing" the problem with salons is that a lot send one person to a class to save money and then have that person come back and show the other stylists...  Or even worse.. they read the bottle and then think they know what they are doing.  I have seen so many stylists that put wayyy too much on the hair, or don't flat iron it enough or right so it won't last. 
Honestly after working in a salon and seeing that, I can see why people can come out of things wit bad hair and not trusting stylists.  That is why you have to do research and get to know your hair stylist.  And why I just don't want to work in salons anymore.  I hate seeing stylists that have such a big head that they think that they don't need classes to learn new techniques.  But with that said. it works different on everyone. some people come out with amazing managable silky almost straight hair.. other people don't, that is why there are so many brands, and so many different kinds of relaxers because there is no one solution.  But I can say that I have never met a person that didn't like their hair after the coppala treatment, I even had one girl cry because she could finally do her own hair after having it and she was so excited to go swimming again lol.

I think that that article is kind of scewed, and i think that its one of those articles set out to scare you... it does have good information but its written to scare someone that has no knowledge of it.  formaldehyde isn't just in there to make people sick.. its in there because it straightens the hair.. they put it in there because it does have an effect on breaking down the curl pattern to the hair... Do I agree that it should be in there? no.... but I also know that the "brazillian" treatments in the US are totally different formulas that the ones that are actually in brazil. The ones in Brazil have wayyy more formaldehyde than the US ones.. But I think that that writter had that brand give her a packet about theirs, or lol a free treatment... there are other brands that have equal amounts of (low) formaldehyde.
Feb 22 10 02:11 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Rachel Lisa
Posts: 2,975
Cincinnati, Ohio, US


Hmm, my hairstylist said she had one that was OSHA approved I think, thats what it sounded like she said) and did research until she found one. I don't know if that means anything...But I do know that the second two that she did really didn't stink, while the first one that someone else did (The Brazillian Blowout brand) burned the crap out of my eyes. But it did last longer...
Feb 22 10 11:37 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Becks
Posts: 31,792
Atlanta, Georgia, US


Rachel Lisa wrote:
I have the Keratin, and I'll never go without it again...aside from having drop-dead gorgeous beach waves, it's like zero-frizz, wash and wear hair. Just running my fingers through it while I blow dry it makes it straight.  Actually come to thing of it, there's a pic of me in my port on here with mine done. Yes, I styled it a little, but there was no straightening with any irons done. And I used to have wayyyy big Jersey Mall curly hair.

Just make sure you use a sulfate-free shampoo after you get it to keep it lasting longer. I like the Enjoy line.

How thick is your natural hair?

I had very thick, mildly wavy, shiny, compliant hair when I was a kid that I'd love to get back, but some time around 10 it started to morph into this huge mass of fail, I have no idea why. It's just a ball of thick frizz atm ^_^ Like, that's it. my hair type is "frizz", as opposed to "frizzy curls" or "frizzy straight" or any number of other types. My hair, at one point, persistently behaved as though I had a jewfro and proceeded to brush it while dry. yikes

Currently it's been beaten a bit into submission, thank god, although I think that's mostly due to the added weight of my current length. Now it only frizzfros (as I've taken to calling it, as there are minimal waves or curls or distinguishable patterns at all) really badly after I wash it, and even then I have to use expensive shampoo or it...Well, I can't go out in public for two days otherwise lol Needless to say I never wear my hair down, it's always braided or in a ponytail because that's the only way I can just "get up and go" with it.

That's a big reason for my internal debate between the relaxer and the keratin-- I want manageable hair that I can wear down without looking like a retard and without doing anything too it. I do not want to spend a lot of money on something only to have to do the same thing I did before I got it done. Meaning, I'm not going to flat iron my hair every time I wear it down. I don't care if it's pin straight, really, as long as it's calm and mostly submissively.

/ramble

Feb 22 10 01:58 pm  Link  Quote 
Hair Stylist
Kristin Jackson Hair
Posts: 263
Brooklyn, New York, US


i was re thinking this whole thing earlier, and it came to me that I never asked what your hair was like.. and how your hair was frizzy and what products you are using

I bet you that a change in products could do wonders for your hair.
if you are saying that you don't have crazy curly coarse hair, then that leads me to believe that you are using poor quality products and not treating your hair the way your hair needs to be treated...

so questions.. what shampoo and conditioners are you using?
what styling products?
how many times do you shampoo it a week?
do you heat style your hair a lot?

a lot of times people have what they think is frizzy hair because of what they are doing to their hair...
if you wear your hair natural, when you get out of the shower do you use a towel to towel dry it?
that is problem number 1... those little terry nubbies pull your baby hair and make your hair look frizzy... if you switch to paper towels or a super soft t-shirt you will see a huge difference...
if you are using drug store brand shampoos, do they contain sulfates?
if they do, they could be too harsh for your hair, drying out your hair making it look more frizzy. using a low quality shampoo is like pouring dawn over your head...
if you are using drug store conditioners and styling products... do they contain silicone?
bet you they do.. these coat the hair and make it so that your hair can't absorb your own oils or any conditioning treatments.  this is often why people think that their shampoo stops working it is because their hair has so much build up that the shampoo can't get rid of it...
styling products wise, frizz ease is the devil. it just builds up on the hair and dries it out.. i don't think it helps at all...
Feb 22 10 11:22 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Becks
Posts: 31,792
Atlanta, Georgia, US


Kristin Jackson Hair wrote:
i was re thinking this whole thing earlier, and it came to me that I never asked what your hair was like.. and how your hair was frizzy and what products you are using

I bet you that a change in products could do wonders for your hair.
if you are saying that you don't have crazy curly coarse hair, then that leads me to believe that you are using poor quality products and not treating your hair the way your hair needs to be treated...

so questions.. what shampoo and conditioners are you using? I use fairly pricey products because my hair goes completely batshit if I use anything cheap like Suave or L'Oreal etc. I use either Redken Smooth Down, which is the most moisturising-without-froing-my-hair shampoo/conditioner combo that I've ever found, and sometimes the CHI line, but I don't like it as much as Redkin.
what styling products? I use Paul Mitchel Foaming Pomade if I'm at all arsed to flat iron, which is rare. I love it a lot. I tried the CHI styling products but I'm not a big fan.

how many times do you shampoo it a week? Twice a week, because I've been repetitiously told thick coarse hair shouldn't be shampood every day.
do you heat style your hair a lot? No. Less than once a month.

a lot of times people have what they think is frizzy hair because of what they are doing to their hair...
if you wear your hair natural, when you get out of the shower do you use a towel to towel dry it? No, I squish the excess out with my hands before I get out of the shower and usually let it air dry

if you are using drug store conditioners and styling products... do they contain silicone? Honestly dunno

I also have not dyed my hair in 3 years so all the dye is totally grown out and it's completely natural. People always think it's something I'm doing and I always have to explain no, I don't beat it into submission with heat or use $5 shampoo, my hair is, unfortunately, naturally crappy sad

Feb 23 10 12:15 am  Link  Quote 
Hair Stylist
Kristin Jackson Hair
Posts: 263
Brooklyn, New York, US


usually people think that it is something that the client is doing because 95% of the time it is lol... but you are actually doing a pretty good job, so then it is in fact most likey your hair (sorry) 
although I do have to say that Redken, while it is a pro product, it has sulfates and the smooth down has silicone in it... I came from a Redken salon.. love some products, love their color... but their shampoos, ehh. and honestly I think I out of the whole shampoo line smooth down and extreme were my two least favorite.  If you like the redken line you might like complete control better it is the newest of the line, in a burgundy bottle.

now if you get the brazillian.. any brand of brazillian, you will not be able to use redken shampoos anymore.. you will have to use a sulfate free line, such as pureology, pravana, some joico, or deva concepts.. Sulfates (salts) are the enemy of the keratin treatment.. it will make it not last nearly as long.  So make sure if you do choose the brazillian to make sure you get an appropriate shampoo before you shampoo your hair..
Feb 23 10 12:42 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Becks
Posts: 31,792
Atlanta, Georgia, US


Kristin Jackson Hair wrote:
usually people think that it is something that the client is doing because 95% of the time it is lol... but you are actually doing a pretty good job, so then it is in fact most likey your hair (sorry) 
although I do have to say that Redken, while it is a pro product, it has sulfates and the smooth down has silicone in it... I came from a Redken salon.. love some products, love their color... but their shampoos, ehh. and honestly I think I out of the whole shampoo line smooth down and extreme were my two least favorite.  If you like the redken line you might like complete control better it is the newest of the line, in a burgundy bottle.

now if you get the brazillian.. any brand of brazillian, you will not be able to use redken shampoos anymore.. you will have to use a sulfate free line, such as pureology, pravana, some joico, or deva concepts.. Sulfates (salts) are the enemy of the keratin treatment.. it will make it not last nearly as long.  So make sure if you do choose the brazillian to make sure you get an appropriate shampoo before you shampoo your hair..

lol It's okay, my hair sucks. I have mudblood DNA, and not the 'wow the combo makes you so pretty' kind, the 'holy shit god beat her with the ugly stick' kind lol Irish + English + Greek + Cherokee does not a pretty head make. Actually, does not an anything pretty make, but this is a stylist forum, so I'll limit my ramble to hair tongue

Oh, thanks for the shampoo reccommend, I've only stuck with the Smooth Down line because it's what a stylist suggested for me a couple years back when I was shopping. What is the difference between Control and Smooth Down?

And I think I've decided to go with the traditional relaxer for now; I want to try the keratin but I don't trust the salon with the process, that's something I'd want to know the salon specialises in. I don't want to be the 3rd person they've ever done it on, you know?

Feb 23 10 04:58 am  Link  Quote 
Hair Stylist
Beatrice de Jong
Posts: 133
Los Angeles, California, US


i do brazilian blowdrys that are completely free of any formaldahyde or harsh chemicals. My clients love it. leaves the hair smooth and managable, relaxes the curl by 80% and conditions at the same time so hair feels soft and healthy. eliminates frizz completely.

as for sodium hydroxide or thio relaxers i rarely do them because they leave your hair feeling so dry and sometimes are very damaging.

i am a fan of the yuko hair straightener which leaves your hair completely stick straight, but it will not hold a curl even if you use an iron on it.

if anyone in LA is interested in getting a brazillian blowdry, DM me i'll give you a sweet discount
beatricedejong@gmail.com
Feb 23 10 02:41 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
QuietAsKept
Posts: 5,935
Baltimore, Maryland, US


Beatrice de Jong wrote:
i do brazilian blowdrys that are completely free of any formaldahyde or harsh chemicals. My clients love it. leaves the hair smooth and managable, relaxes the curl by 80% and conditions at the same time so hair feels soft and healthy. eliminates frizz completely.

as for sodium hydroxide or thio relaxers i rarely do them because they leave your hair feeling so dry and sometimes are very damaging.

i am a fan of the yuko hair straightener which leaves your hair completely stick straight, but it will not hold a curl even if you use an iron on it.

if anyone in LA is interested in getting a brazillian blowdry, DM me i'll give you a sweet discount
beatricedejong@gmail.com

Is a Brazilian blowout the same as a Dominican blowout?

Feb 23 10 03:45 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Becks
Posts: 31,792
Atlanta, Georgia, US


Oh woe. Well, so far as I can tell (immediately following process and cut), the relaxer worked and my hair is pretty flat and poof-free, albeit gooey for some reason (she didn't put product in it, so I have no idea why it feels greasy).

She fuuuuuuuuuuucked me on my bangs, though. Horribly. Visual rape included and everything. Awful awful awful. I feel like I got into a fight with a first grader wielding crayola safety scissors and got epically pwned.

I asked for long razor-cut bangs (eye-crease length) and got betty page.

Ew, ew, ew, ew, ew. Ugly ugly ugly. Suggestions to fix the grossness? I am not retro or vintage and i HATE bangs that go above the eyebrow. No fucking thanks.

sad at the cut

but big_smile at my hairs current overall state and texture!
Feb 23 10 05:31 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Becks
Posts: 31,792
Atlanta, Georgia, US


Okay, I feel like a dipshit for bugging you amazing people, but the truth is...a good portion of you KNOW what you're talking about. The average idiot hairdresser in Ulta isn't going to know shit, really, unless you get really lucky, so asking them won't do much. As such, I'm taking advantage of the forum as much as I can.

What shampoo/conditioner do you recommend for thick, chemically relaxed caucasian hair? Google has wielded nothing but yammering about relaxed african american hair, which doesn't really help me. My natural hair texture is very frizzy and coarse, but the relaxer made it very smooth and flat. I don't want to ruin that by using the antichrist of shampoos or something lol
Feb 25 10 08:50 pm  Link  Quote 
Hair Stylist
Kristin Jackson Hair
Posts: 263
Brooklyn, New York, US


i really like pravana, I got my mom hooked on it and it helps her super coarse hair.. I also like joico and pureology.  both Pravana and Pureology are "sulfate free"  I put that in quotations because technicaly they aren't... they foam up, but they have a much more gentle for of sulfates and won't dry out your hair.  I would go for a moisture one, not a strengthening one -buzzword "Restoring" (because too much protein can actually make your hair more brittle) and maybe do a strengthening deep conditioning mask once or twice a week.  A great one is from the Pureology Nano line, or Joico's K-Pak line
Feb 26 10 02:45 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Becks
Posts: 31,792
Atlanta, Georgia, US


Awww. I washed it and the relaxingness washed totally out. I didn't towel dry at all, and the first time put no product in (to see what it looked like leave-in product-free) after shampoo/condition. It frizzed like a 300 year old rope, was suuuuuuuper poofy but stayed free of corkscrews. A couple days later I tried a different shampoo/condition and put an anti-frizz smoothing cream in it (redken) and OMG holy curly poofy frizzy fro batman sad My bangs looked awful before (I asked for eye-crease length and got a cm above the eyebrow, and real crooked to boot) but now there's a whole serious ugly betty effect going on on the front. It's bad.

I called Ulta and bitched to enough different people and they offered to do the keratin if I pay the difference. The salon manager didn't offer to do anything (not so much as give advice as to which products to use) even though my hair is clearly not relaxed (it's more or less totally reverted to it's  pre-relaxed state entirely) properly. I showed them the picture of the bangs I asked for compared to what I got (way, way, way different) and they insisted it was the same roll Bitch please.

I got ahold of the store manager and was able to get them to agree to doing a keratin treatment on it.

/bitching aside, I'm SO hoping this works.

And I promise, no moar thread bumping, I'm only posting because I'm getting the keratin (coppola).
Mar 01 10 01:54 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Darkshutter Photography
Posts: 293
Newport, Tennessee, US


Anyone ever try Yuko? I had a cople friends do that and it works amazingly!
Mar 01 10 02:07 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
dorisa a
Posts: 9
New York, New York, US


Kristin Jackson Hair wrote:
keratin will not make your hair straight...
it relaxes up to 80% of your curl.. takes down frizz, and makes it easier to style your hair...
it is seriously awesome.. but it is not perminent... and it won't make your hair poker straight, and requires certain shampoos... They are great tho because they slowly wash out, so you don't get the horrible roots when you are growing it out...

There are different relaxers and they are all different..
you can have cold process relaxers and hot process relaxers (japanese straightening)
if you want flat poker straight hair you will want the japanese... but that is what you are stuck with if you do it.. it makes your hair difficult to curl.  But you literally wash it, and let it air dry and it is straight.  I did it to my sister a few years ago and now she is addicted and I don't think she will ever let me off the hook of doing them

cold process relaxers will straighten your hair, but you could still have some wave left to it..
the japanese and cold process relaxer are usually the same chemical just the japanese adds a few more steps, so the price gets a lot higher

Mar 01 10 02:18 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
dorisa a
Posts: 9
New York, New York, US


isn't the japanese straightening very destructive for the hair though? i have average hair, a bit frizzy and went to a salon to do the japanese straightening but they told me it's too dangerous to do it on my hair ..

Kristin Jackson Hair wrote:
keratin will not make your hair straight...
it relaxes up to 80% of your curl.. takes down frizz, and makes it easier to style your hair...
it is seriously awesome.. but it is not perminent... and it won't make your hair poker straight, and requires certain shampoos... They are great tho because they slowly wash out, so you don't get the horrible roots when you are growing it out...

There are different relaxers and they are all different..
you can have cold process relaxers and hot process relaxers (japanese straightening)
if you want flat poker straight hair you will want the japanese... but that is what you are stuck with if you do it.. it makes your hair difficult to curl.  But you literally wash it, and let it air dry and it is straight.  I did it to my sister a few years ago and now she is addicted and I don't think she will ever let me off the hook of doing them

cold process relaxers will straighten your hair, but you could still have some wave left to it..
the japanese and cold process relaxer are usually the same chemical just the japanese adds a few more steps, so the price gets a lot higher

Mar 01 10 02:21 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Becks
Posts: 31,792
Atlanta, Georgia, US


dorisa a wrote:
isn't the japanese straightening very destructive for the hair though? i have average hair, a bit frizzy and went to a salon to do the japanese straightening but they told me it's too dangerous to do it on my hair ..

Kristin Jackson Hair wrote:
keratin will not make your hair straight...
it relaxes up to 80% of your curl.. takes down frizz, and makes it easier to style your hair...
it is seriously awesome.. but it is not perminent... and it won't make your hair poker straight, and requires certain shampoos... They are great tho because they slowly wash out, so you don't get the horrible roots when you are growing it out...

There are different relaxers and they are all different..
you can have cold process relaxers and hot process relaxers (japanese straightening)
if you want flat poker straight hair you will want the japanese... but that is what you are stuck with if you do it.. it makes your hair difficult to curl.  But you literally wash it, and let it air dry and it is straight.  I did it to my sister a few years ago and now she is addicted and I don't think she will ever let me off the hook of doing them

cold process relaxers will straighten your hair, but you could still have some wave left to it..
the japanese and cold process relaxer are usually the same chemical just the japanese adds a few more steps, so the price gets a lot higher

It's what I've heard, but all chemicals like that damage hair. From what I understand, japanese straightners damage hair, but it's only truly detrimental if your hair is fragile and prone to breakage. Then again, I am not a stylist, I just talk to them a lot on shoots (I find that whole part of the industry SO interesting!!!)

Mar 01 10 08:40 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Lea Halliwell
Posts: 3,939
Lexington, Kentucky, US


Have you heard of thermal reconditioning?  (I browsed the thread but didn't notice anyone who mentioned it.  Sorry if it has been.)
EDIT: I see it has been somewhat mentioned.

Here an official site for it:  http://www.thermalreconditioning.net/
Mar 01 10 09:03 pm  Link  Quote 
Hair Stylist
Kristin Jackson Hair
Posts: 263
Brooklyn, New York, US


dorisa a wrote:
isn't the japanese straightening very destructive for the hair though? i have average hair, a bit frizzy and went to a salon to do the japanese straightening but they told me it's too dangerous to do it on my hair ..

Kristin Jackson Hair wrote:
keratin will not make your hair straight...
it relaxes up to 80% of your curl.. takes down frizz, and makes it easier to style your hair...
it is seriously awesome.. but it is not perminent... and it won't make your hair poker straight, and requires certain shampoos... They are great tho because they slowly wash out, so you don't get the horrible roots when you are growing it out...

There are different relaxers and they are all different..
you can have cold process relaxers and hot process relaxers (japanese straightening)
if you want flat poker straight hair you will want the japanese... but that is what you are stuck with if you do it.. it makes your hair difficult to curl.  But you literally wash it, and let it air dry and it is straight.  I did it to my sister a few years ago and now she is addicted and I don't think she will ever let me off the hook of doing them

cold process relaxers will straighten your hair, but you could still have some wave left to it..
the japanese and cold process relaxer are usually the same chemical just the japanese adds a few more steps, so the price gets a lot higher

if its done right the damage is minimal... I have been doing it on clients for years, including my sister.  I wouldn't do it on my sister if I didn't think it worked.. I mean shes not even paying me lol.. It depends on your hair type and the damage you already have.  I have bleached blonde hair, so I would never do it on my hair because my hair is already weakened from that.  My sister has virgin hair, she never even blow dries it, so her hair was perfectly fine.  In fact her hair feels smoother now, you can totally feel a difference between the new growth and the straightened part.  I have done it on heavily highlighted hair as well, without compromising the hair, but the most important thing is to take care of your hair and repair damage that you have. before you do something like that...

Mar 01 10 10:09 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Lea Halliwell
Posts: 3,939
Lexington, Kentucky, US


Kristin Jackson Hair wrote:
if its done right the damage is minimal... I have been doing it on clients for years, including my sister.  I wouldn't do it on my sister if I didn't think it worked.. I mean shes not even paying me lol.. It depends on your hair type and the damage you already have.  I have bleached blonde hair, so I would never do it on my hair because my hair is already weakened from that.  My sister has virgin hair, she never even blow dries it, so her hair was perfectly fine.  In fact her hair feels smoother now, you can totally feel a difference between the new growth and the straightened part.  I have done it on heavily highlighted hair as well, without compromising the hair, but the most important thing is to take care of your hair and repair damage that you have. before you do something like that...

Are you talking about thermal reconditioning?

Mar 01 10 10:11 pm  Link  Quote 
Hair Stylist
Kristin Jackson Hair
Posts: 263
Brooklyn, New York, US


no I am talking about a japanese straightening, but sometimes I have seen stylists use them interchangably.  but I really just think it is a marketing thing honestly.
Mar 01 10 10:25 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Lea Halliwell
Posts: 3,939
Lexington, Kentucky, US


Kristin Jackson Hair wrote:
no I am talking about a japanese straightening, but sometimes I have seen stylists use them interchangably.  but I really just think it is a marketing thing honestly.

Ah.  Ok.

Mar 01 10 10:29 pm  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers