login info join!
Forums > Critique > Laughing and smiling nudes Search   Reply
12last
Photographer
Visual Delights
Posts: 91
Austin, Texas, US


In the world of fashion, there's a tradition in which models' facial expressions are often impassive or even severe. In the tradition of the artistic nude, a model's expression is usually not severe, but it is generally impassive (and of course in many cases the face is partly or completely hidden from view).

In contrast to those traditions, from time to time I've done nudes in which the model is laughing or smiling. One such is

18+
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/8844007

1) I'm wondering what you think of laughing or smiling nudes, as opposed to those with a serious expression.
2) Can any of you provide links to other pictures of laughing or smiling nudes that you think are effective?

Edit: I'd like to exclude glamour, which is in a different tradition.
Mar 16 11 07:37 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jeff Fiore
Posts: 9,165
Pelham, New York, US


1. It all depends on what I want to say in the image.

2. No I can't
Mar 16 11 07:46 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Visual Delights
Posts: 91
Austin, Texas, US


Jeff Fiore wrote:
1. It all depends on what I want to say in the image.

Agreed. For some reason, though, the tradition of the art nude has shied away from happy expressions, and I'm wondering why.

Mar 16 11 07:52 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Anna Adrielle
Posts: 18,762
Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium


I'm not completely over the moon by your image, but it is sincere and honest, so in that way I like it.

I do know that nudes+smiling (or at least nudes+subtle happiness) is a very common combination in plus size modelling, and in pictures of bigger women in general (because they are usually made with the intention of spreading a 'love your body" message)

smile

http://m24digital.com/en/wp-content/upl … iller2.jpg (she's wearing a thong, but it could just as easily been a nude picture)

http://www.google.be/imgres?imgurl=http … =128&ty=96


http://madisonplus.com/wp-content/uploa … Ashley.jpg

http://vpwpartners.blogs.com/.a/6a00d83 … 970b-800wi

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lfseb … o1_400.jpg

http://adsoftheworld.com/files/images/Mary.preview.jpg

and so on
Mar 16 11 07:52 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Visual Delights
Posts: 91
Austin, Texas, US


Marianne Michaela wrote:
I'm not completely over the moon by your image, but it is sincere and honest, so in that way I like it.

I do know that nudes+smiling (or at least nudes+subtle happiness) is a very common combination in plus size modelling, and in pictures of bigger women in general (because they are usually made with the intention of spreading a 'love your body" message)

smile

http://m24digital.com/en/wp-content/upl … iller2.jpg (she's wearing a thong, but it could just as easily been a nude picture)

http://www.google.be/imgres?imgurl=http … =128&ty=96


http://madisonplus.com/wp-content/uploa … Ashley.jpg

http://vpwpartners.blogs.com/.a/6a00d83 … 970b-800wi

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lfseb … o1_400.jpg

http://adsoftheworld.com/files/images/Mary.preview.jpg

and so on

Thanks for your insights about the psychology of plus-size modeling. I wouldn't have thought about that, but it makes sense.

Mar 16 11 07:55 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Beautiful Sundays
Posts: 3,840
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


This is one of my personal favorites:

18+

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/21235411

18+
Mar 16 11 07:59 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Anna Adrielle
Posts: 18,762
Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium


visualdelights wrote:

Thanks for your insights about the psychology of plus-size modeling. I wouldn't have thought about that, but it makes sense.

it's not only in plus size modelling...
you see it in the Dove commercials too. showing your body + smiling = a positive message about "love the skin you're in". it's also not that uncommon for magazines. sometimes they'll have features where some of their readers did a nude shoot, and it will be a smiley, happy one most of the time smile

Mar 16 11 08:07 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Alice Noir
Posts: 7
London, England, United Kingdom


Gosh this one is wonderful! really opens my eyes to thoughts, perceptions and idealistics.

http://vpwpartners.blogs.com/.a/6a00d83 … 970b-800wi
Mar 16 11 08:12 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jeffrey M Fletcher
Posts: 4,314
Asheville, North Carolina, US


First of all my compliments on the image, I think it's both successful and more complex than your written inquiry would indicate (smile and skeleton, I like you). It adds to both the complexity and success of the image the way that you've played against what I think you've correctly identified as conventions in a couple genres (not much of a fashion nude though, is it?).
A couple genres of nude images where you'll typically see smiles are casual (snapshots) and lifestyle (nudist). Some of the art (and for all I know fashion) conventions have developed as a contrast to identify the class status of a particular image.
Most horribly in this regard smiling can be a sign that the image should be read as a type of low brow sexual humor - in the past it's been pretty much a death sentence for serious consideration. Similarly, if you comb through portfolios here it won't be too long before you find a plethora of bathing suit images with nearly nude young women smiling (really aggressively smiling in many cases) at the camera. Lifestyle in that case and again something with a lower class position.
So; if you want more smiling nude images than you could get through in a lifetime start researching nudist archives (bonus: volleyball).
But I think you are getting at a much more promising direction where you are questioning conventions in the commercial and fine arts (your picture indicates a seriousness of intent).
Wonderful work, my compliments.
Mar 16 11 08:17 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jose Luis
Posts: 2,890
Dallas, Texas, US


Mar 16 11 08:18 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Bek Ruszin
Posts: 6,023
Levittown, Pennsylvania, US


visualdelights wrote:

Agreed. For some reason, though, the tradition of the art nude has shied away from happy expressions, and I'm wondering why.

I could be totally wrong here, but I'd think it has to do with the body being showcased as oppossed to the face.

Mar 16 11 08:22 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Anna Adrielle
Posts: 18,762
Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium


Bek Ruszin wrote:

I could be totally wrong here, but I'd think it has to do with the body being showcased as oppossed to the face.

I think it has more to do with smiling being associated with commercial, and that type of nude pictures with artistic. and that therefore smile (commercial) can not work with nude (artistic)

Mar 16 11 08:23 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jeff Fiore
Posts: 9,165
Pelham, New York, US


visualdelights wrote:

Agreed. For some reason, though, the tradition of the art nude has shied away from happy expressions, and I'm wondering why.

It seems to have moved to glamour smile

Under the right context and concept, I can see it working in an art nude.

Mar 16 11 08:26 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Visual Delights
Posts: 91
Austin, Texas, US


Jeffrey M Fletcher wrote:
First of all my compliments on the image, I think it's both successful and more complex than your written inquiry would indicate (smile and skeleton, I like you). It adds to both the complexity and success of the image the way that you've played against what I think you've correctly identified as conventions in a couple genres (not much of a fashion nude though, is it?).
A couple genres of nude images where you'll typically see smiles are casual (snapshots) and lifestyle (nudist). Some of the art (and for all I know fashion) conventions have developed as a contrast to identify the class status of a particular image.
Most horribly in this regard, smiling can be a sign that the image should be read as a type of low brow sexual humor - in the past it's been pretty much a death sentence for serious consideration. Similarly, if you comb through portfolios here it won't be too long before you find a plethora of bathing suit images with nearly nude young women smiling (really aggressively smiling in many cases) at the camera. Lifestyle in that case and again something with a lower class position.
So; if you want more smiling nude images than you could get through in a lifetime start researching nudist archives (bonus: volleyball).
But I think you are getting at a much more promising direction where you are questioning conventions in the commercial and fine arts (your picture indicates a seriousness of intent).
Wonderful work, my compliments.

Thanks for your compliments and for your well-thought-out response. I hadn't been thinking about the world of nudism, but you're certainly right. I also hadn't been thinking of nude snapshots, which may now well be the most common type of nudes, thanks to the proliferation of cell phones with cameras in them.

Mar 16 11 08:27 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Anna Adrielle
Posts: 18,762
Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium


oh and how about Ellen von Unwerth?
I love her style, I could easily picture many of her pictures as nude, and still work very well...

example:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_sT25j09iTbY/SKI1WZsngxI/AAAAAAAAF9I/yoExRNt7FjQ/s400/Ellen+Von+Unwerth.....jpg
I think this would be lovely as a nude too smile
Mar 16 11 08:27 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jeff Fiore
Posts: 9,165
Pelham, New York, US


Now there's a concept where it works

Mar 16 11 08:27 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jeff Fiore
Posts: 9,165
Pelham, New York, US


Marianne Michaela wrote:
oh and how about Ellen von Unwerth?
I love her style, I could easily picture many of her pictures as nude, and still work very well...

example:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_sT25j09iTbY/SKI1WZsngxI/AAAAAAAAF9I/yoExRNt7FjQ/s400/Ellen+Von+Unwerth.....jpg
I think this would be lovely as a nude too smile

Nice photo but I wouldn't consider that an art nude if she was nude. Glamour nudes have a lot of smiles.

Mar 16 11 08:29 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Visual Delights
Posts: 91
Austin, Texas, US


Bek Ruszin wrote:
I could be totally wrong here, but I'd think it has to do with the body being showcased as opposed to the face.

Good point: in many art nudes the face is hidden and the emphasis is on the forms of the body.

Mar 16 11 08:29 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Beautiful Sundays
Posts: 3,840
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Jeff Fiore wrote:

It seems to have moved to glamour smile

Under the right context and concept, I can see it working in an art nude.

Playboy in the 60's and early 70's was nothing but smiling 'girl next door' nudes. Once PB started competing with Guccione's 'erotic' style it was over.

I guess the golden age of smiling bunnies could be considered 'pin-up' as opposed to happy glam, but it was a nice era for teenage boys...  wink

Mar 16 11 08:29 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Visual Delights
Posts: 91
Austin, Texas, US


Jeff Fiore wrote:

Nice photo but I wouldn't consider that an art nude if she was nude. Glamour nudes have a lot of smiles.

Agreed. I'm purposely staying outside the world of glamour.

Mar 16 11 08:30 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Anna Adrielle
Posts: 18,762
Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium


Jeff Fiore wrote:

Nice photo but I wouldn't consider that an art nude if she was nude. Glamour nudes have a lot of smiles.

I think that depends on your definition of art nude. ellen von unwerth is not really glamour, she's not really art in that definition either. she's somewhere in between I guess

Mar 16 11 08:33 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jeff Fiore
Posts: 9,165
Pelham, New York, US


Marianne Michaela wrote:

I think that depends on your definition of art nude. ellen von unwerth is not really glamour, she's not really art in that definition either. she's somewhere in between I guess

I mean the pose and look is glamour, the photography is not IMO. I shoot nudes, mostly art but a lot of my photos do cross into glamour a bit.

Mar 16 11 08:36 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Anna Adrielle
Posts: 18,762
Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium


Jeff Fiore wrote:

I mean the pose and look is glamour, the photography is not IMO. I shoot nudes, mostly art but a lot of my photos do cross into glamour a bit.

better?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_W562VahSVq0/S … 233big.jpg

Mar 16 11 08:41 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jeff Fiore
Posts: 9,165
Pelham, New York, US


Now this is art............ because it's blurry! LOL!

Nice image!

Mar 16 11 08:43 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Visual Delights
Posts: 91
Austin, Texas, US


This looks like it could be by Brassaï, who took photographs in brothels and other seedy places in Paris during the years between the two world wars.

Mar 16 11 08:45 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jeffrey M Fletcher
Posts: 4,314
Asheville, North Carolina, US


visualdelights wrote:

Agreed. For some reason, though, the tradition of the art nude has shied away from happy expressions, and I'm wondering why.

I would say that this is largely true for the decorative or aesthetic art nude and that there are documentary art nude traditions where this is less true.

Mar 16 11 08:45 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jeff Fiore
Posts: 9,165
Pelham, New York, US


Beautiful Sundays wrote:

Playboy in the 60's and early 70's was nothing but smiling 'girl next door' nudes. Once PB started competing with Guccione's 'erotic' style it was over.

I guess the golden age of smiling bunnies could be considered 'pin-up' as opposed to happy glam, but it was a nice era for teenage boys...  wink

I remember many happy times........

Mar 16 11 08:45 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Visual Delights
Posts: 91
Austin, Texas, US


Jeffrey M Fletcher wrote:

I would say that this is largely true for the decorative or aesthetic art nude and that there are documentary art nude traditions where this is less true.

Can you mention or point us to any pictures in that documentary art nude tradition?

Mar 16 11 08:47 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Visual Delights
Posts: 91
Austin, Texas, US


Beautiful Sundays wrote:
This is one of my personal favorites:

18+

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/21235411

18+

Thanks, but I didn't mean to include glamour photography.

Mar 16 11 09:01 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
JBerman Photography
Posts: 1,089
New York, New York, US


SMILE !

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110309/12/4d77e183ca6b5.jpg
Mar 16 11 09:10 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
The Falcons Nest
Posts: 542
Brooklyn, New York, US


I think it's the coolest thing in the world for a model to just look happy nude or otherwise. Here one from my port.
http://www.modelmayhem.com/1434351#14952495
Or if you like smiling eyes here's another.
http://www.modelmayhem.com/1434351#17133802
Mar 16 11 09:11 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
warren hukill
Posts: 2,013
Oakland, California, US


Mar 16 11 09:19 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Visual Delights
Posts: 91
Austin, Texas, US


warren hukill wrote:
Here are a couple of my smiling model images:

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/19706399 
18+

Since that was in France, it can stand as a catchy example of what the French call a "tranche de vie," or slice of life.

Mar 16 11 09:24 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Visual Delights
Posts: 91
Austin, Texas, US


Marianne Michaela wrote:
oh and how about Ellen von Unwerth?
I love her style, I could easily picture many of her pictures as nude, and still work very well...

I wasn't familiar with her, so I looked her up. She came out of the fashion industry but went into darker pictures, more in the style of Helmut Newton. After looking at a number of her photographs, I wouldn't say that she's in the art nude tradition (admittedly people can differ about what belongs to that tradition).

Mar 16 11 10:07 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Vincent Arthur
Posts: 895
Red Bank, New Jersey, US


Mar 16 11 10:27 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Anna Adrielle
Posts: 18,762
Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium


Visual Delights wrote:

This looks like it could be by Brassaï, who took photographs in brothels and other seedy places in Paris during the years between the two world wars.

nope, still Ellen von Unwerth smile

Mar 16 11 10:32 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Eastfist
Posts: 3,497
Green Bay, Wisconsin, US


http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/101226/19/4d180992f158a_m.jpg
Mar 16 11 10:33 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Anna Adrielle
Posts: 18,762
Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium


Visual Delights wrote:

I wasn't familiar with her, so I looked her up. She came out of the fashion industry but went into darker pictures, more in the style of Helmut Newton. After looking at a number of her photographs, I wouldn't say that she's in the art nude tradition (admittedly people can differ about what belongs to that tradition).

no, she isn't in the art nude tradition, what I meant is that her style would work well for smiley art type nudes smile

Mar 16 11 10:34 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Looknsee Photography
Posts: 20,820
Portland, Oregon, US


Sometimes, I like to do informal / casual nude portraits.  Sometimes, I make the model smile.

Natalia Faina (almost 18+) & I always have a blast when we get together.
Mar 16 11 10:39 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Visual Delights
Posts: 91
Austin, Texas, US


Vincent Arthur wrote:
I'm a fan of smiling nudes.  Here are a few of mine:

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/21284786 18 +

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/20933091 18+

I guess smiling may help when the model is freezing.

Mar 16 11 10:46 am  Link  Quote 
12last   Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers