login info join!
Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Body Painting at the Playboy Mansion Search   Reply
Model
Harper Wesley
Posts: 2
Seattle, Washington, US


Does anyone know how a body painter would get in touch with someone at the Playboy mansion to see about painting there for one of the events?

Any help would be appreciated!
Oct 24 11 05:14 pm  Link  Quote 
Body Painter
BodyPainter Rich
Posts: 17,857
San Francisco, California, US


Harper Wesley wrote:
Does anyone know how a body painter would get in touch with someone at the Playboy mansion to see about painting there for one of the events?

Any help would be appreciated!

My understanding is that Mark Frazier does their "official" events and that other painters are hired by people who rent the mansion for events. I've had close calls a couple times but have not actually been hired there yet.

My understanding is that if they want you, they will contact you.

Oct 24 11 05:17 pm  Link  Quote 
Body Painter
Tim Gratton
Posts: 1,054
Dubbo, New South Wales, Australia


BodyPainter Rich wrote:

My understanding is that Mark Frazier does their "official" events and that other painters are hired by people who rent the mansion for events. I've had close calls a couple times but have not actually been hired there yet.

My understanding is that if they want you, they will contact you.

sad

Oct 24 11 05:22 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Linda Khalil
Posts: 139
Concord, California, US


BodyPainter Rich wrote:
My understanding is that Mark Frazier does their "official" events and that other painters are hired by people who rent the mansion for events. I've had close calls a couple times but have not actually been hired there yet.

I can't believe that haven't called you yet!

Oct 24 11 05:26 pm  Link  Quote 
Body Painter
Lisa Berczel
Posts: 3,959
Corona, California, US


Pretty much what Rich said.

Playboy Ent. is a great group to work with. My experience was a very positive one and I'd work on set again in a heart beat.

But, in all honesty, the #1 question I get asked by Non-Industry people is "Your good. You must have painted at the Playboy Mansion!". Like it is some credential you have to have in order to be a credible body painter. From that standpoint - so, sure, having "The Mansion" on your resume may not be a bad thing at all. At least is shuts people up.

But, the Pro's know to look a little deeper. There's a difference between having the Mansion for a portfolio credit and having Playboy Ent. as a credit.

I've turned down painting at the Mansion several times. The projects just weren't the right fit *cough, cough* For Free *cough, cough*. And I'm contrary enough to not do something because I'm "supposed to" in order to be considered legit. And, I'm not young enough to party like its 1999.

Anyway, I'll again be painting Mansion party goes off-site this weekend... hopefully will have some pics to share.

There are 2 kinds of Mansion Events: Official Events and Venue Events.

Official events are pretty much locked down by the existing artist troupe. And for good reason.

Venue events just rent the place and are at the mercy of the individual promotor.

Venue events typically have No budget and will give you the "great for the portfolio" b.s. Yeah - don't get me started on Promoters. Can you tell I'm am a little jaded on the whole Event industry?

Just know the difference and make your choices.
Oct 24 11 05:40 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
War Paint
Posts: 385
Los Angeles, California, US


Lisa Berczel wrote:
Pretty much what Rich said.

Playboy Ent. is a great group to work with. My experience was a very positive one and I'd work on set again in a heart beat.

But, in all honesty, the #1 question I get asked by Non-Industry people is "Your good. You must have painted at the Playboy Mansion!". Like it is some credential you have to have in order to be a credible body painter. From that standpoint - so, sure, having "The Mansion" on your resume may not be a bad thing at all. At least is shuts people up.

But, the Pro's know to look a little deeper. There's a difference between having the Mansion for a portfolio credit and having Playboy Ent. as a credit.

I've turned down painting at the Mansion several times. The projects just weren't the right fit *cough, cough* For Free *cough, cough*. And I'm contrary enough to not do something because I'm "supposed to" in order to be considered legit. And, I'm not young enough to party like its 1999.

Anyway, I'll again be painting Mansion party goes off-site this weekend... hopefully will have some pics to share.

There are 2 kinds of Mansion Events: Official Events and Venue Events.

Official events are pretty much locked down by the existing artist troupe. And for good reason.

Venue events just rent the place and are at the mercy of the individual promotor.

Venue events typically have No budget and will give you the "great for the portfolio" b.s. Yeah - don't get me started on Promoters. Can you tell I'm am a little jaded on the whole Event industry?

Just know the difference and make your choices.

I feel the same way that you do and I have turned down a lot of "exposure" work there..... Nothing against it I just don't like to pay to work.... Work usually means someone is paying you....

Oct 24 11 07:23 pm  Link  Quote 
Body Painter
BodyPainter Rich
Posts: 17,857
San Francisco, California, US


Linda Khalil wrote:

I can't believe that haven't called you yet!

I know! Me too!

Well, I was called a couple times...but they were cancelled for odd reasons.

Oct 24 11 10:03 pm  Link  Quote 
Body Painter
Airballin
Posts: 312
Oakland, California, US


Yeah, I did a venue event there when I first started. Got hired by some friends who had a party there. It was pretty lame. Party was just in a big tent on the property. Never saw the inside of the house.

But it sounds good when I say "yeah I painted at the Playboy Mansion before" lol
Oct 24 11 10:12 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
-Bitter Sweet-
Posts: 4
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US


I would like to be one of the models who gets body painted.
Oct 30 11 12:21 pm  Link  Quote 
Body Painter
GGPBodyPainting
Posts: 51
Wilmington, Massachusetts, US


I can't even see "there" from where I am... Sigh...

Gary
Oct 30 11 12:30 pm  Link  Quote 
Body Painter
Tim Gratton
Posts: 1,054
Dubbo, New South Wales, Australia


Lisa Berczel wrote:
Pretty much what Rich said.

Playboy Ent. is a great group to work with. My experience was a very positive one and I'd work on set again in a heart beat.

But, in all honesty, the #1 question I get asked by Non-Industry people is "Your good. You must have painted at the Playboy Mansion!". Like it is some credential you have to have in order to be a credible body painter. From that standpoint - so, sure, having "The Mansion" on your resume may not be a bad thing at all. At least is shuts people up.

But, the Pro's know to look a little deeper. There's a difference between having the Mansion for a portfolio credit and having Playboy Ent. as a credit.

I've turned down painting at the Mansion several times. The projects just weren't the right fit *cough, cough* For Free *cough, cough*. And I'm contrary enough to not do something because I'm "supposed to" in order to be considered legit. And, I'm not young enough to party like its 1999.

Anyway, I'll again be painting Mansion party goes off-site this weekend... hopefully will have some pics to share.

There are 2 kinds of Mansion Events: Official Events and Venue Events.

Official events are pretty much locked down by the existing artist troupe. And for good reason.

Venue events just rent the place and are at the mercy of the individual promotor.

Venue events typically have No budget and will give you the "great for the portfolio" b.s. Yeah - don't get me started on Promoters. Can you tell I'm am a little jaded on the whole Event industry?

Just know the difference and make your choices.

My reply is alway's

"I don't need the promotion, next time you get a bill tell them that you'll do a promotion for them instead!"

Soon shuts them up! In fact I can't remember the last time someone asked my manager that!

Now doing this Advertisement for all media including TV makes the mansion a little.... well under paid LoL big_smile

http://www.facebook.com/PepsiAustralia

Oct 31 11 10:16 pm  Link  Quote 
Body Painter
FrazierArts
Posts: 23
Beverly Hills, California, US


Interesting info.
Dec 13 11 07:33 pm  Link  Quote 
Body Painter
Lisa Berczel
Posts: 3,959
Corona, California, US


FrazierArts wrote:
Interesting info.

Would love to get your take on this discussion - you've got a very unique vantage point from most (myself included).

Dec 13 11 07:59 pm  Link  Quote 
Body Painter
Cat Camp
Posts: 831
Tampa, Florida, US


We'd all like to hear your take on this, Mark!
Dec 14 11 12:27 pm  Link  Quote 
Body Painter
FrazierArts
Posts: 23
Beverly Hills, California, US


If "they" contact you, find out who "they" are and who will be paying the bill. If it dosen't say Playboy on the check you are not working for Playboy just at the Playboy Mansion. An example is when I worked in Vegas years ago for Playboy Home Video. We worked in a penthouse suite at the Palms. The Palms did not write me the check, Playboy did. So, that day we did not work for the Palms, we worked for Playboy. I didn't put on my resume that I had worked for the Palms just because that was the location of the event.
My advise is that there is never any value in giving your art away. Whatever you charge the first time you work for a client is how they will value your talent in the future. Playboy or any reasonable company will pay your rate if you are good enough. Cut rate event promoters probably won't.
Jan 11 12 04:40 pm  Link  Quote 
Body Painter
BodyPainter Rich
Posts: 17,857
San Francisco, California, US


Thanks for clarifying things for us Mark. Much appreciated.
Jan 11 12 11:02 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Dan Hudson
Posts: 489
Binghamton, New York, US


Leave a STRONG portfolio at their offices on Sunset Blvd for their review!  Remember Playboy is all about the girl next door!  Talk to Ken Marcus...he is on here!  My number is on my profile if that helps!  Best of luck!
Jan 11 12 11:18 pm  Link  Quote 
Body Painter
Sweet Loretta
Posts: 221
Sacramento, California, US


Ditto - Rich is correct and of course Frazier nailed it.
Jan 12 12 12:21 pm  Link  Quote 
Artist/Painter
Tracey Bryant
Posts: 2
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US


hello i read ur post,,,playboy mansion?  i might b late on ur post but take a look @ my pics, tell me what u think ,,there is more to come!! ty for ur time
Feb 24 12 12:37 pm  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers