login info join!
Forums > Photography Talk > Nikon D800 vs. Nikon D700 high ISO comparison Search   Reply
Photographer
Connor Photography
Posts: 6,426
Elkton, Maryland, US


D800 is looking good, if this can be confirmed. 

http://nikonrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Nikon-D800-vs-Nikon-D700-ISO-3200-comparison.jpg

http://nikonrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Nikon-D800-vs-Nikon-D700-ISO-12800-comparison.jpg

More here:
http://nikonrumors.com/2012/02/22/nikon … ison.aspx/
Feb 22 12 09:17 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Angel Portraits
Posts: 226
Lakeland, Florida, US


The D700 shots are blurry. Thats how reliable the story is. Its probably some fanboy trying to make a big story. The D700 rules ---->
Feb 22 12 09:26 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
MKPhoto
Posts: 5,664
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada


"You will have to ignore the fact that all D700 samples are blurry and just pay attention to the ISO performance".

wink What is the point of comparing a sharp with blurred image, where signal is spread of many pixels which screws S/N ratio....
Feb 22 12 09:27 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Connor Photography
Posts: 6,426
Elkton, Maryland, US


If one just focuses on D800 images, it looks good to me. i don't have a D700, how does it perform is non-issue for me.
Feb 22 12 09:31 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
curiosa des yeux
Posts: 1,457
Seattle, Washington, US


The main thing that you can't tell from that comparison is how much detail is being retained because the D700 samples are completely out of focus. This reminds me of those photos of people who are loosing weight where the before photo is meant to show them in as bad of light as possible just to emphasize the point.

Also, why are the crops of the D700 samples showing the same subject even slightly larger than the D800? It seems that they would have had to uprez the D700 samples to have that happen, so the noise comparison is not at their native resolutions.

Are these comparisons of RAW files or in-camera JPEGs which would not account for better noise reduction algorithms? And in true rumor site fashion, the original site has removed the samples.
Feb 22 12 09:32 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
MKPhoto
Posts: 5,664
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada


curiosa des yeux wrote:
The main thing that you can't tell from that comparison is how much detail is being retained because the D700 samples are completely out of focus. This reminds me of those photos of people who are loosing weight where the before photo is meant to show them in as bad of light as possible just to emphasize the point.

Also, why are the crops of the D700 samples showing the same subject even slightly larger than the D800? It seems that they would have had to uprez the D700 samples to have that happen, so the noise comparison is not at their native resolutions.

Are these comparisons of RAW files or in-camera JPEGs which would not account for better noise reduction algorithms? And in true rumor site fashion, the original site has removed the samples.

Amen...Our ad hoc test a while ago was better.

Feb 22 12 09:34 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
NothingIsRealButTheGirl
Posts: 32,456
Los Angeles, California, US


curiosa des yeux wrote:
Also, why are the crops of the D700 samples showing the same subject even slightly larger than the D800? It seems that they would have had to uprez the D700 samples to have that happen, so the noise comparison is not at their native resolutions.

This to me is more significant than focus between the two camera's images.

Although I suppose if the goal is to make prints of a certain size then it is a valid comparison.

Feb 22 12 09:37 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Kenneth Mitchell
Posts: 211
Edina, Missouri, US


I am extremely interested in seeing a high-ISO comparison between the two sensors.

This isn't that, this is kludge.
Feb 22 12 09:44 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Christopher Hartman
Posts: 53,923
Buena Park, California, US


Plus, neither of them can have the same 100% crop.  The D800 should be what, 3x times closer?
Feb 22 12 10:03 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
David Hirsh
Posts: 2,379
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Christopher Hartman wrote:
Plus, neither of them can have the same 100% crop.  The D800 should be what, 3x times closer?

Yes, this is true.

You might be interested in this test I did with an existing known D800 sample crop from a full sized photo. I took a photo with my D700 of a similar shawdowed area with the same lens at exactly the same aperture, shutter, and ISO:

Both photos shot with a 50mm f/1.4D.

My example: JPG ("Fine") uploaded to PS5 and cropped to show a small portion of the center at full size. No resizing, sharpening, or anything else. Completely out-of-the-camera. Uploaded to my server space at full-res.

D700 - f/2.2, 6400 ISO, 1/4000 sec
http://www.davidhirshphotography.com/eg07.jpg

Here's a resized crop (to the same size as a full sized crop of a D700), but otherwise unchanged D800 example (same lens, ISO, shutter, and aperture), for comparison:

D800 - f/2.2, 6400 ISO, 1/4000 sec
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120208/20/4f334b4f2e6cc.jpg

My conclusion is that the D800 and D700 are very comparable. The grain molecules simply look smaller and sharper on the D800 image due to resizing, but the overall amount seems the same to me.

Feb 22 12 10:09 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ACPhotography
Posts: 8,616
Plainview, New York, US


Christopher Hartman wrote:
Plus, neither of them can have the same 100% crop.  The D800 should be what, 3x times closer?

Exactly... My 12,800 shots out of my 700 don't look like that either...

Feb 22 12 10:11 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Photographer
GPS Studio Services
Posts: 35,022
San Francisco, California, US


David Hirsh wrote:
My conclusion is that the D800 and D700 are very comparable. The grain molecules simply look smaller and sharper on the D800 image due to resizing, but the overall amount seems the same to me.

That is what I am expecting.  Nikon is suggesting about a 1/2 stop advantage for the D800.  Personally though, I plan to buy a D800 if it delivers what is promised.  Rather than speculating, I am just going to wait until the camera actually comes out and we see some accurate testing.  We will know then and I can decide.

Feb 22 12 11:00 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
sultanphotography
Posts: 824
Chicago, Illinois, US


I would love to see a side by side next to a D3s. Debating about upgrading to the D4 and D800E or keep my D3s and use the $6000 to buy both D800s (maybe one E and one not)
Feb 22 12 11:06 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Elizabeth Avery
Posts: 3
Los Angeles, California, US


Feb 22 12 11:13 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
AWS Photo
Posts: 157
Los Angeles, California, US


Yes the d700 is an amazing camera.  I shoot one myself. However was there ever any doubt as to if the D800 would be better.  Of course it is, its nearly 3 years newer.  Silly comparison if you as me.
Feb 22 12 11:15 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
MKPhoto
Posts: 5,664
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada


David Hirsh wrote:

Yes, this is true.

You might be interested in this test I did with an existing known D800 sample crop from a full sized photo. I took a photo with my D700 of a similar shawdowed area with the same lens at exactly the same aperture, shutter, and ISO:

Both photos shot with a 50mm f/1.4D.

My example: JPG ("Fine") uploaded to PS5 and cropped to show a small portion of the center at full size. No resizing, sharpening, or anything else. Completely out-of-the-camera. Uploaded to my server space at full-res.

D700 - f/2.2, 6400 ISO, 1/4000 sec
http://www.davidhirshphotography.com/eg07.jpg

Here's a resized crop (to the same size as a full sized crop of a D700), but otherwise unchanged D800 example (same lens, ISO, shutter, and aperture), for comparison:

D800 - f/2.2, 6400 ISO, 1/4000 sec
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120208/20/4f334b4f2e6cc.jpg

My conclusion is that the D800 and D700 are very comparable. The grain molecules simply look smaller and sharper on the D800 image due to resizing, but the overall amount seems the same to me.

The grain molecules   borat  that's the way we really want it to be, isn't it?

BTW Is the D800 image the same as used in the thread a couple of weeks ago?

Feb 22 12 11:20 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
David Hirsh
Posts: 2,379
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


MKPhoto wrote:
The grain molecules   borat  that's the way we really want it to be, isn't it?

BTW Is the D800 image the same as used in the thread a couple of weeks ago?

hahaha smile

Yes, it is.

Feb 22 12 11:53 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Phil Drinkwater
Posts: 4,717
Manchester, England, United Kingdom


Christopher Hartman wrote:
Plus, neither of them can have the same 100% crop.  The D800 should be what, 3x times closer?

The difference between a 12mp camera and a 36mp camera in resolution down one edge is NOT 3x...

Feb 22 12 12:34 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
vinnysphotos
Posts: 58
MASPETH, New York, US


I was thinking about upgrading my d700 to the NEW d800, but the D700 is a better all around camera for the price. I shoot for a newspaper so I do alittle of everything including sports so with the grip I get 8 shots per sec. Still has great high ISO quality (for a 3yr old camera). and made like a tank. I don't need 36mp or need it spend $3,500 for a new camera w/grip. D700 still a top on the line camera.
Feb 23 12 03:04 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Photographer
Robb Mann
Posts: 10,121
Baltimore, Maryland, US


Nikon is usually pretty consistent with their ISO ratings. I'm still expecting the D800 to offer broadly similar high ISO performance to the D700.
Feb 23 12 04:29 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ChanStudio - OtherSide
Posts: 5,317
Alpharetta, Georgia, US


Just few more weeks.. We will get to see some real comparison soon.. smile
Feb 23 12 04:36 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Kenneth Mitchell
Posts: 211
Edina, Missouri, US


ChanStudio - OtherSide wrote:
Just few more weeks.. We will get to see some real comparison soon.. smile

wink

Feb 23 12 06:25 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Leggy Mountbatten
Posts: 12,560
Kansas City, Missouri, US


ChanStudio - OtherSide wrote:
Just few more weeks.. We will get to see some real comparison soon.. smile

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see some independently-produced photos; the Nikon photos have been heavily scrutinized and compared to Canon's 1Dx samples. Lots of freaking out over apparent banding (posterization) in the shadows of the D800 samples. It'll be good to get some actual NEF's to see where that's coming from. I can't imagine the raws look like that.

Feb 23 12 06:39 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Christopher Hartman
Posts: 53,923
Buena Park, California, US


Phil Drinkwater wrote:

The difference between a 12mp camera and a 36mp camera in resolution down one edge is NOT 3x...

I have no motivation to figure out the exact math, but you get my point right?

Feb 23 12 07:57 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
photoimager
Posts: 4,825
Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom


AWS Photo wrote:
Yes the D700 is an amazing camera.

Agreed

AWS Photo wrote:
However was there ever any doubt as to if the D800 would be better.  Of course it is, its nearly 3 years newer.  Silly comparison if you as me.

Newer is not always better and for many the simple fact of the file size from the D800 makes it a limitation, not a gain.

Feb 23 12 10:40 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
photoimager
Posts: 4,825
Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom


Christopher Hartman wrote:
Plus, neither of them can have the same 100% crop.  The D800 should be what, 3x times closer?

Sqrt 3 = 1.73......... so about 73% bigger / larger image

Feb 23 12 10:43 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
London Fog
Posts: 6,770
London, England, United Kingdom


Almost 99% decided on a D700, it's awesome, but still very pricey!
Feb 23 12 11:22 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Connor Photography
Posts: 6,426
Elkton, Maryland, US


Just wait for a few months when the price is right.  It is not like you don't have a camera to use. 

I may cancel my D800E pre-order too. tongue  I lean towards D4 or even D4s. smile
Feb 23 12 11:29 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
London Fog
Posts: 6,770
London, England, United Kingdom


Connor Photography wrote:
Just wait for a few months when the price is right.  It is not like you don't have a camera to use. 

I may cancel my D800E pre-order too. tongue  I lean towards D4 or even D4s. smile

Today I was in our Nikon Premier dealer here in London, picked up a MINT F801s, still with it's baseplate seal and film insert, literally for peanuts, as my daughter might like to learn the art of BW film photography.

However, the frekin D700 has gone up, not down - by another £100.00!

Feb 23 12 11:41 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Image Works Photography
Posts: 2,890
Orlando, Florida, US


I was wondering if each dot is an individual photo receptor on the sensor that will produce one pixel- you put more pixels in the same area of a D700 sensor would it be worse low light performance?
Feb 23 12 01:38 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Photographer
Robb Mann
Posts: 10,121
Baltimore, Maryland, US


Image Works Photography wrote:
I was wondering if each dot is an individual photo receptor on the sensor that will produce one pixel- you put more pixels in the same area of a D700 sensor would it be worse low light performance?

Each individual photo receptor on a Bayer sensor records either a blue, green or red color value. Images have to go through a process called de-mosaicing to produce an image where each pixel has an rgb value.

Feb 24 12 05:20 am  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers