login info join!
Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Is my android listening to me? Search   Reply
Photographer
John Jebbia
Posts: 27,608
Phoenix, Arizona, US


This is really strange. But the other day, I was at my local bar talking with the bartender, who is also a friend on Facebook. We were joking around about Gout. This was all said in person. Was never posted or discussed anywhere online. Now all of a sudden, I'm getting ads on Facebook for Gout research studies.

Just seems like a weird coincidence to me.. Or am I just paranoid?
May 06 12 12:16 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Tim Little Photography
Posts: 11,524
Wilmington, Delaware, US


Have you used the phone to search for info on Gout or visit Gout websites? If not, then I would be concerned. To test. Have a conversation about something you have never searched online. Talk about it often with the phone in hearing distance. If you start getting banner ads about the subject, or spam, then that is freaky.
May 06 12 12:24 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
John Jebbia
Posts: 27,608
Phoenix, Arizona, US


Tim Little Photography wrote:
Have you used the phone to search for info on Gout or visit Gout websites? If not, then I would be concerned. To test. Have a conversation about something you have never searched online. Talk about it often with the phone in hearing distance. If you start getting banner ads about the subject, or spam, then that is freaky.

No I didn't.. This was purely conversation. I didn't look it up when I got home, nor did I look anything up on my phone about it.

May 06 12 12:26 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
R_Marquez
Posts: 4,607
San Francisco, California, US


That really is weird. But for the phone to analyze your voice at all times, it would mean that the battery would rain fairly quickly.

Check any installed apps and any services running in the backgroun. It's possible that maybe a third-party app is doing something to case this. Or it could be a really weird twilight zone'ish coincidence.
May 06 12 12:42 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Eros Fine Art Photo
Posts: 2,557
Torrance, California, US


I see that happen all the time on my FB page.  Seems like whatever you talk about, the ads show up not long afterward. 

I have a feeling it's an automated type system through cell providers that picks up on key words and then relays the info to advertisers.  I've been tempted to just start up some random conversation about something not even closely related to anything I like just to see if something pops up.
May 06 12 12:45 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Eros Fine Art Photo
Posts: 2,557
Torrance, California, US


R_Marquez wrote:
That really is weird. But for the phone to analyze your voice at all times, it would mean that the battery would rain fairly quickly.

Check any installed apps and any services running in the backgroun. It's possible that maybe a third-party app is doing something to case this. Or it could be a really weird twilight zone'ish coincidence.

When I first bought my Android phone, the battery would last almost 2 days.  Now it drains by half day, even though I hardly have any apps on it and even if I turn the GPS and Wi-Fi off.

May 06 12 12:46 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
John Jebbia
Posts: 27,608
Phoenix, Arizona, US


Eros Fine Art Photo wrote:
I see that happen all the time on my FB page.  Seems like whatever you talk about, the ads show up not long afterward. 

I have a feeling it's an automated type system through cell providers that picks up on key words and then relays the info to advertisers.  I've been tempted to just start up some random conversation about something not even closely related to anything I like just to see if something pops up.

Does this happen when you're having an in-person conversation?

May 06 12 12:49 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
John Jebbia
Posts: 27,608
Phoenix, Arizona, US


http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/579059_3627343958095_1108926874_33294249_1710466196_n.jpg
May 06 12 01:02 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Bella la Bell
Posts: 4,451
Kansas City, Missouri, US


John Jebbia wrote:
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/579059_3627343958095_1108926874_33294249_1710466196_n.jpg

yikes yikes yikes wtf!?

May 06 12 09:52 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Brian Diaz
Posts: 62,263
Danbury, Connecticut, US


You may have seen the ad and that subconsciously affected you conversation.

If not, ask Carl Jung.
May 06 12 10:09 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Tim Little Photography
Posts: 11,524
Wilmington, Delaware, US


The FB thing is based on what you have searched online. Not just on Facebook. I clicked through a Borrow Lenses.com banner ad and now I see them everywhere I go. Now John, if what you are saying is that this is happening and you never searched or typed in the subject. You only said it, then that is a major freaky thing. I'm sure the ability to have the phone work as a "bug" is pretty simple. But who? and why?
May 06 12 11:08 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
John Jebbia
Posts: 27,608
Phoenix, Arizona, US


Brian Diaz wrote:
You may have seen the ad and that subconsciously affected you conversation.

If not, ask Carl Jung.

Well no. The bartender brought it up. She was said something about having gout (jokingly), and then I said something like didn't Adam Sandler have a song about that. And then we bantered back and forth making wisecracks. Then all of a sudden I'm seeing these ads.

May 06 12 11:13 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
SKPhoto
Posts: 25,779
Newark, California, US


Flexispy.

Flexispy’s application, in addition to the capability to intercept calls and enable remote eavesdropping on the handset’s surroundings, also enables the monitoring party to secretly capture SMS, emails, call records, instant messages and GPS locations logged on the phone.

The application is designed to be tamper proof and undetectable. It records information from the phone regardless of whether this information still exists on the phone or has been deleted from it.

How it Works
Whenever activity is identified on the device Flexispy records the event and uploads the data via WiFi or GPRS to a secure web account for discrete viewing and analysis by the monitoring party. The application is so discrete that once it’s installed it never requires the monitoring party to access the device for tuning or settings. All features and settings are controlled remotely.

http://www.talkandroid.com/24737-new-an … knowledge/

http://www.flexispy.com/

Google has recently filed a patent titled “Advertising based on environmental conditions.” Google wants to monitor your phone calls, and listen for things to pick up on that could be of use for advertising. Like rain, so they can sell you umbrellas. Of course, it wouldn’t be a human tapping into your phone calls, filling out information on you. It would be a robot. Which makes it totally not creepy.

It doesn’t stop there though. Google would also like to analyze the pictures you take. If you take some pictures in the snow, for example, Google could send you ads for snow shovels or other snow related products.

http://androidandme.com/2012/03/news/go … e-you-ads/
May 06 12 11:25 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
John Jebbia
Posts: 27,608
Phoenix, Arizona, US


SKPhoto wrote:
Flexispy.

Flexispy’s application, in addition to the capability to intercept calls and enable remote eavesdropping on the handset’s surroundings, also enables the monitoring party to secretly capture SMS, emails, call records, instant messages and GPS locations logged on the phone.

The application is designed to be tamper proof and undetectable. It records information from the phone regardless of whether this information still exists on the phone or has been deleted from it.

How it Works
Whenever activity is identified on the device Flexispy records the event and uploads the data via WiFi or GPRS to a secure web account for discrete viewing and analysis by the monitoring party. The application is so discrete that once it’s installed it never requires the monitoring party to access the device for tuning or settings. All features and settings are controlled remotely.

http://www.talkandroid.com/24737-new-an … knowledge/

http://www.flexispy.com/

Google has recently filed a patent titled “Advertising based on environmental conditions.” Google wants to monitor your phone calls, and listen for things to pick up on that could be of use for advertising. Like rain, so they can sell you umbrellas. Of course, it wouldn’t be a human tapping into your phone calls, filling out information on you. It would be a robot. Which makes it totally not creepy.

It doesn’t stop there though. Google would also like to analyze the pictures you take. If you take some pictures in the snow, for example, Google could send you ads for snow shovels or other snow related products.

http://androidandme.com/2012/03/news/go … e-you-ads/

Ok.. this was an in-person conversation. Wasn't over the phone, or by text, or anything like that. But what you're saying is this would enable whoever to simply turn on a recording device in your phone at their whim?

May 06 12 11:39 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
SKPhoto
Posts: 25,779
Newark, California, US


John Jebbia wrote:

Ok.. this was an in-person conversation. Wasn't over the phone, or by text, or anything like that. But what you're saying is this would enable whoever to simply turn on a recording device in your phone at their whim?

According to the article it could pick up live conversations if made within range of the microphone.

No phone call necessary.

May 06 12 11:44 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
John Jebbia
Posts: 27,608
Phoenix, Arizona, US


SKPhoto wrote:
According to the article it could pick up live conversations if made within range of the microphone.

No phone call necessary.

Orwellian. I remember all the paranoids back in the 80's saying the government was gonna start installing cameras in people's homes. Turns out the government didn't need to pay for it. The got us to do it ourselves and pay for it ourselves. We all have webcams in our homes now. And apparently recording devices on our phones.

May 06 12 11:50 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Svend
Posts: 25,120
Boulder, Colorado, US


SKPhoto wrote:
Flexispy.

Flexispy’s application, in addition to the capability to intercept calls and enable remote eavesdropping on the handset’s surroundings, also enables the monitoring party to secretly capture SMS, emails, call records, instant messages and GPS locations logged on the phone.

The application is designed to be tamper proof and undetectable. It records information from the phone regardless of whether this information still exists on the phone or has been deleted from it.

How it Works
Whenever activity is identified on the device Flexispy records the event and uploads the data via WiFi or GPRS to a secure web account for discrete viewing and analysis by the monitoring party. The application is so discrete that once it’s installed it never requires the monitoring party to access the device for tuning or settings. All features and settings are controlled remotely.

http://www.talkandroid.com/24737-new-an … knowledge/

http://www.flexispy.com/

Google has recently filed a patent titled “Advertising based on environmental conditions.” Google wants to monitor your phone calls, and listen for things to pick up on that could be of use for advertising. Like rain, so they can sell you umbrellas. Of course, it wouldn’t be a human tapping into your phone calls, filling out information on you. It would be a robot. Which makes it totally not creepy.

It doesn’t stop there though. Google would also like to analyze the pictures you take. If you take some pictures in the snow, for example, Google could send you ads for snow shovels or other snow related products.

http://androidandme.com/2012/03/news/go … e-you-ads/

What do they plan to sell me if I'm taking pictures of my wife with her legs spread?

May 06 12 11:53 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
John Jebbia
Posts: 27,608
Phoenix, Arizona, US


Svend wrote:
What do they plan to sell me if I'm taking pictures of my wife with her legs spread?

Thighmaster?

May 06 12 11:55 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
John Jebbia
Posts: 27,608
Phoenix, Arizona, US


Svend wrote:
What do they plan to sell me if I'm taking pictures of my wife with her legs spread?

Fly Swatters?

May 06 12 11:56 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jerry Nemeth
Posts: 26,723
Dearborn, Michigan, US


Svend wrote:

What do they plan to sell me if I'm taking pictures of my wife with her legs spread?

lol

Think about it!

May 06 12 11:56 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Svend
Posts: 25,120
Boulder, Colorado, US


John Jebbia wrote:

Thighmaster?

Oh, now that's just rude. wink

May 06 12 11:56 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Svend
Posts: 25,120
Boulder, Colorado, US


John Jebbia wrote:

Fly Swatters?

Them's fightin words there, chump!!  tongue

May 06 12 11:57 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
John Jebbia
Posts: 27,608
Phoenix, Arizona, US


Svend wrote:
What do they plan to sell me if I'm taking pictures of my wife with her legs spread?

Grilled Cheese Sandwiches?

May 06 12 11:57 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Svend
Posts: 25,120
Boulder, Colorado, US


John Jebbia wrote:

Grilled Cheese Sandwiches?

lol

You bastard

May 06 12 11:57 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Svend
Posts: 25,120
Boulder, Colorado, US


Jerry Nemeth wrote:

lol

Think about it!

Viagra has quite the advertising budget...

May 06 12 12:00 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Michael Bots
Posts: 5,433
Kingston, Ontario, Canada


Not imagining --- they have been working on that for more than half a decade.

I guess it's going live.

The 2007 patent
http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Par … 0070130580

From 6 years ago ---
Google Research prototypes ambient audio contextual content
http://techcrunch.com/2006/06/08/google … l-content/
http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2007 … es-ads.ars

from last year
http://mashable.com/2011/07/07/voice-technology-google/
"Android already has voice command technology built-in"

from his year  ......
Google Wants to Listen to Your Phone Calls, then Send You Ads Based on Them

http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?n … oice+Calls

"Google would be listening to the ambient background noise and making judgments about the conditions. So, for example, if the service decides someone is at a sporting event, they might be sent an advertisement for sporting goods."
May 06 12 04:26 pm  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers