login info join!
Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Google ads... you creep me the hell out. Search   Reply
guide forum
Photographer
-JAY-
Posts: 6,189
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


It's getting scary.

This laptop is 100% photography and netflix... it's all I use it for. Every search is photography related, and a LOT of it.. or movie reviews, etc.





But for the past few weeks I've seen a TON of ads about CPAP supplies.

**Continuous Positive Airway Pressure** It's a medical device that blows air into your face to combat sleep apnea... and coincidentally... has been my focus at work for the past few weeks (medical field.)

I have never... ever... ever even mentioned CPAP on this computer, on any computer on my home network... or on any computer I have ever logged in using my google account, or anything linked... Yet every 10th ad on MM is CPAP related.






Skynet has become self aware.

I am frightened.

Save me.
May 20 12 01:33 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
the lonely photographer
Posts: 1,848
Beverly Hills, California, US


you went into a site and they dropped cookies in your temp file.
probably aspy bot also time to virus check it
May 20 12 01:37 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Photographer
-JAY-
Posts: 6,189
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


the lonely photographer wrote:
you went into a site and they dropped cookies in your temp file.
probably aspy bot also time to virus check it

?


Massive amounts of virus protection, and daily MBAM scans. the point is... this computer, or any computer I have ever use knows I am a CPAP technician. This information has never been mentioned outside of my office...


Yet google knows.

May 20 12 01:50 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Digital Photo PLUS
Posts: 5,503
Lorton, Virginia, US


-JAY- wrote:

?


Massive amounts of virus protection, and daily MBAM scans. the point is... this computer, or any computer I have ever use knows I am a CPAP technician. This information has never been mentioned outside of my office...


Yet google knows.

Google saves your search history with your google account on the net so it doesn't matter which computer you use. You probably searched using google at work for work stuff while logged into your private gmail account.

To see your history go to:

google.com/history

May 20 12 02:20 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
JAE
Posts: 2,076
West Chester, Pennsylvania, US


Google knows me better then I know me.
May 20 12 04:42 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Light Writer
Posts: 18,387
Oakland, California, US


Doesn't have to be a virus, nor cookies. The algorithms probably can link the computers you use to each other, so anything you do on one gets linked to the other.
May 20 12 05:15 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Michael Bots
Posts: 5,444
Kingston, Ontario, Canada


Have you talked about CPAP near the laptop? Used a wi-fi enabled phone around that network?  Is the microphone enabled?

Patents applied for half a decade ago. Have seen comments elsewhere that imply the technology has gone live, at least in some areas.

"Advertising can be served on the basis of a sensor that detects temperature, humidity, sound, light or air composition near a device, and ads are served accordingly."

Google plans to spy on background noise to bombard you with tailored advertising
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/a … noise.html
http://www.webpronews.com/google-patent … cy-2012-03
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ … calls.html
http://www.geekwire.com/2012/google-pat … arget-ads/


GM too.
OnStar Files Patents for Minority Report-Style Billboards
http://www.wired.com/autopia/2012/05/onstar-billboards/
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=02d_1337197893
http://www.wpxi.com/videos/news/onstar- … ads/vHKhL/
May 20 12 05:48 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Accidental Plateau
Posts: 7,715
Brooklyn, New York, US


Have you ever mentioned your work in an email ?

Do you have a gmail account or communivate with a gmail account ?

It had to be something. You might have just forgotten.
May 21 12 05:46 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
AdelaideJohn1967
Posts: 12,286
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia


Michael Bots wrote:
Have you talked about CPAP near the laptop? Used a wi-fi enabled phone around that network?  Is the microphone enabled?

Patents applied for half a decade ago. Have seen comments elsewhere that imply the technology has gone live, at least in some areas.

"Advertising can be served on the basis of a sensor that detects temperature, humidity, sound, light or air composition near a device, and ads are served accordingly."

Google plans to spy on background noise to bombard you with tailored advertising
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/a … noise.html
http://www.webpronews.com/google-patent … cy-2012-03
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ … calls.html
http://www.geekwire.com/2012/google-pat … arget-ads/


GM too.
OnStar Files Patents for Minority Report-Style Billboards
http://www.wired.com/autopia/2012/05/onstar-billboards/
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=02d_1337197893
http://www.wpxi.com/videos/news/onstar- … ads/vHKhL/

That is fucking creepy

May 21 12 05:53 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Christopher Hartman
Posts: 53,743
Buena Park, California, US


-JAY- wrote:
It's getting http://assets.modelmayhem.com/images/smilies/scary.png.

This laptop is 100% photography and netflix... it's all I use it for. Every search is photography related, and a LOT of it.. or movie reviews, etc.





But for the past few weeks I've seen a TON of ads about CPAP supplies.

**Continuous Positive Airway Pressure** It's a medical device that blows air into your face to combat sleep apnea... and coincidentally... has been my focus at work for the past few weeks (medical field.)

I have never... ever... ever even mentioned CPAP on this computer, on any computer on my home network... or on any computer I have ever logged in using my google account, or anything linked... Yet every 10th ad on MM is CPAP related.






Skynet has become self aware.

I am frightened.

Save me.

I snitched on you. big_smile

Wait till the ads you get next month!

May 21 12 05:54 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DRImages
Posts: 1,651
San Diego, California, US


JAE Photography PA wrote:
Google knows me better then I know me.

That autocomplete feature on Google is a little creepy at times. It's like it knows what I'm thinking.

May 22 12 11:59 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
BeautybyGod
Posts: 3,015
Los Angeles, California, US


-JAY- wrote:
?


Massive amounts of virus protection, and daily MBAM scans. the point is... this computer, or any computer I have ever use knows I am a CPAP technician. This information has never been mentioned outside of my office...


Yet google knows.

you NEVER go to your work web site from home?

or any cpap web sites?

May 22 12 01:57 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Photographer
-JAY-
Posts: 6,189
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


BeautybyGod wrote:

you NEVER go to your work web site from home?

or any cpap web sites?

never ever ever. I have never uttered the word CPAP outside work.

May 22 12 02:47 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
C Mirene
Posts: 1,610
Toledo, Ohio, US


If it makes you feel better Jay - both the ad at the top and the one at the bottom when I read this thread were cpap puppies.  yikes
May 22 12 02:51 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
S K E L E T O N K E Y
Posts: 2,110
Louth, England, United Kingdom


lol I've got *stop snoring* ads on this page.

I've never searched anything to do with snoring, nor do i snore tongue

Odd.
May 22 12 02:55 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
John Sweet
Posts: 190
Denver, Colorado, US


I don't have any ads on this page because I block all ads at my router. Google will surely find me and kill me.
May 22 12 03:11 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
S K E L E T O N K E Y
Posts: 2,110
Louth, England, United Kingdom


John Sweet wrote:
I don't have any ads on this page because I block all ads at my router. Google will surely find me and kill me.

ahh the conspiracies!

May 22 12 03:13 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
JM Dean
Posts: 8,930
Cary, North Carolina, US


Firefox and Adblock Plus, the only way to surf.
May 22 12 03:27 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Brian Diaz
Posts: 62,283
Danbury, Connecticut, US


DRImages wrote:

That autocomplete feature on Google is a little creepy at times. It's like it knows what I'm thinking.

That's only because you're thinking the same things that thousands of other people have already thought.  wink

May 22 12 03:44 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Eastfist
Posts: 3,497
Green Bay, Wisconsin, US


Satelite spying, user lists, mass databases of even your private records, it's all garbled together to give you a "personalized" Internet experience.  Why is it that when someone mentions this, it's dismissed as conspiracy theories?  Were this the early 1990s, it could be brushed off, but it's 2012.  Technology advances at a rapid rate.  Look at Google Maps.  Think they're taking pictures of those maps with DSLRs?
May 22 12 03:49 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
GeM Photographic
Posts: 2,346
Chicago, Illinois, US


They're coming to get you Barbara
May 22 12 07:23 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
R A V E N D R I V E
Posts: 15,867
New York, New York, US


your email address.

your youtube account.

your phone number (especially if its the "recovery verification" phone number they convinced you to link with your email)

***YOUR ASSOCIATES THAT ALSO USE GMAIL***


and double especially if you ever use your email on your phone as well

***OR YOUR ASSOCIATES THAT UPLOADED THEIR PHONE CONTACTS TO THEIR GMAIL***




those are the ways the decide to push ads to you. we are far past cookies man
May 22 12 07:26 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Gulag
Posts: 1,219
Duluth, Georgia, US


"Welcome to Hotel California. We are programmed to receive.  You can checkout any time you like,  But you can never leave! "

The only way to best it in its own game is to come up with another gmail alias for your surfing purpose, and then use a different browser on the same machine with that alias to surf.
May 22 12 08:05 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
AdelaideJohn1967
Posts: 12,286
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia


I use Firefox. How do you stop ads in that? Never tried that feature
May 22 12 08:09 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
BlueMoonPics
Posts: 3,892
New York, New York, US


AdelaideJohn1967 wrote:
I use Firefox. How do you stop ads in that? Never tried that feature

I use adblock lite.  Don't see any adds.

May 22 12 08:19 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
JM Dean
Posts: 8,930
Cary, North Carolina, US


AdelaideJohn1967 wrote:
I use Firefox. How do you stop ads in that? Never tried that feature

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo … ostpopular

May 22 12 09:33 pm  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers