login info join!
Forums > Photography Talk > Share videos / BTS of your photoshoots & details! Search   Reply
Photographer
HJM Photography
Posts: 1,479
Malibu, California, US


Share videos / BTS video from your photoshoots & details such as:

What software/platform did you edit it on? 
What did you shoot the video with? 
What are your future video plans?
Do you shoot video mostly for yourself, for clients, or both?

This video was shot with a Canon 7D (60P & 720 HD for slow motion) and a Canon HFS 200 camcorder with image stabilization, which rocks:

https://vimeo.com/27676309

Let's make this an educational thread on BTS / video techniques for photographers & photoshoots ! smile
Jul 09 12 01:47 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Herman van Gestel
Posts: 2,126
Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands


2 types:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t410D9gb5Ig
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWe6h3mZ-5A

assistants did it...and they used after effects afaik

Herman
Jul 09 12 01:52 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Connor Photography
Posts: 6,435
Elkton, Maryland, US


Hmmm....  Interesting!!!  I did not know you have an identical twin.  I though you are a dude.  Sorry about that.  wink
Jul 09 12 01:54 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
HJM Photography
Posts: 1,479
Malibu, California, US


Herman van Gestel wrote:
2 types:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t410D9gb5Ig
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWe6h3mZ-5A

assistants did it...and they used after effects afaik

Herman

nice work! what was the video of the second one shot on?  smile

Jul 09 12 01:59 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Herman van Gestel
Posts: 2,126
Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands


HJM Photography wrote:
nice work! what was the video of the second one shot on?  smile

Brokxmedia MM#1903397 was kind enough to do this one: Sony EX1R at 720p at 60fps overcranking and edited (and graded) in Premiere Pro

Jul 09 12 02:09 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Creative Concept Studio
Posts: 2,542
Fort Worth, Texas, US


Here's one a local photographer of me during a 4 hour session at my studio. Not sure what Jason used in post - shot with a Canon 5d.

http://youtu.be/s5xLXdQweYc
Jul 09 12 02:09 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
BrokxMedia
Posts: 30
Maassluis, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands


HJM Photography wrote:

nice work! what was the video of the second one shot on?  smile

Thanks! (I made that one smile http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWe6h3mZ-5A
)
It's shot on Sony EX1R at 720p at 60fps overcranking and edited (and graded) in Premiere Pro.

Jul 10 12 07:02 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Herman van Gestel
Posts: 2,126
Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands


BrokxMedia wrote:
Thanks! (I made that one smile http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWe6h3mZ-5A
)
It's shot on Sony EX1R at 720p at 60fps overcranking and edited (and graded) in Premiere Pro.

I stand corrected big_smile, and pay better attention :p

Jul 10 12 11:37 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
BrokxMedia
Posts: 30
Maassluis, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands


Herman van Gestel wrote:

I stand corrected big_smile, and pay better attention :p

lol, you needed to pay attention to the shoot. ;-)

BTW, it's just technical background information about tools: only the result counts.
It could have been shot with a Canon XF-camera (it could look a little different then) and/or edited with Final Cut Pro 6/7, Vegas or Avid (all tools that can do the same when used by someone who knows his/her tools).

Jul 11 12 05:00 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
HJM Photography
Posts: 1,479
Malibu, California, US


BrokxMedia wrote:

lol, you needed to pay attention to the shoot. ;-)

BTW, it's just technical background information about tools: only the result counts.
It could have been shot with a Canon XF-camera (it could look a little different then) and/or edited with Final Cut Pro 6/7, Vegas or Avid (all tools that can do the same when used by someone who knows his/her tools).

Actually tools do make a difference, as there are subtle differences!

Adobe Premiere 6 has warp stabilization to stabilize shaky video.  I don't think Vegas has this. smile

I know a lot of people switching from Final Cut to Adobe Premiere.

Jul 11 12 08:42 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
L A U B E N H E I M E R
Posts: 8,468
Seattle, Washington, US


HJM Photography wrote:

Actually tools do make a difference, as there are subtle differences!

Adobe Premiere 6 has warp stabilization to stabilize shaky video.  I don't think Vegas has this. smile

I know a lot of people switching from Final Cut to Adobe Premiere.

stabilize shaky video?

why not just shoot it the way you want it to be? if you want it to not be shaky don't shoot it shaky.

Jul 11 12 11:29 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Chris David Photography
Posts: 430
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia


Jul 12 12 09:13 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
HJM Photography
Posts: 1,479
Malibu, California, US


Mark Laubenheimer wrote:
stabilize shaky video?

why not just shoot it the way you want it to be? if you want it to not be shaky don't shoot it shaky.

i think your argument is with adobe premiere.  you should write them a letter and ask them, "stabilize shaky video?  why not just shoot it the way you want it to be? if you want it to not be shaky don't shoot it shaky."

as adobe also makes lightroom, you should ask them about exposure adjustments, "adjust exposure?  why not just shoot it the way you want it to be? if you want it to not be underexposed don't shoot it underexposed."

according to Mark Laubenheimer, lightroom is silly as the photograph should emerge in a finished, final format from the camera. "why not just shoot it the way you want it to be?"--ML

yes, by mark laubenheimer's logic, lightroom should remove every single feature, except "save as jpg."  but then, mark would argue, if you really wanted a jpg, "why not just shoot it the way you want it to be?"

lol

let's stay on track!

Share videos / BTS video from your photoshoots & details such as:

What software/platform did you edit it on? 
What did you shoot the video with? 
What are your future video plans?
Do you shoot video mostly for yourself, for clients, or both?

This video was shot with a Canon 7D (60P & 720 HD for slow motion) and a Canon HFS 200 camcorder with image stabilization, which rocks:

https://vimeo.com/27676309

Let's make this an educational thread on BTS / video techniques for photographers & photoshoots !

Jul 12 12 11:19 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Profound Media
Posts: 26
Saint Louis, Missouri, US


Creative Concept Studio wrote:
Here's one a local photographer of me during a 4 hour session at my studio. Not sure what Jason used in post - shot with a Canon 5d.

http://youtu.be/s5xLXdQweYc

Great work my friend!

Jul 12 12 11:50 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
L A U B E N H E I M E R
Posts: 8,468
Seattle, Washington, US


HJM Photography wrote:

Mark Laubenheimer wrote:
stabilize shaky video?

why not just shoot it the way you want it to be? if you want it to not be shaky don't shoot it shaky.

i think your argument is with adobe premiere.  you should write them a letter and ask them, "stabilize shaky video?  why not just shoot it the way you want it to be? if you want it to not be shaky don't shoot it shaky."

as adobe also makes lightroom, you should ask them about exposure adjustments, "adjust exposure?  why not just shoot it the way you want it to be? if you want it to not be underexposed don't shoot it underexposed."

according to Mark Laubenheimer, lightroom is silly as the photograph should emerge in a finished, final format from the camera. "why not just shoot it the way you want it to be?"--ML

yes, by mark laubenheimer's logic, lightroom should remove every single feature, except "save as jpg."  but then, mark would argue, if you really wanted a jpg, "why not just shoot it the way you want it to be?"

lol

let's stay on track!


good luck with that.

Jul 13 12 10:53 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
HJM Photography
Posts: 1,479
Malibu, California, US


Mark Laubenheimer wrote:
good luck with that.

thanks! yes, a quick google search shows that as time moves on, you are becoming less and less capable of derailing my threads. smile

mark--do you ever adjust exposure or the whites or blacks in post?  do you ever sharpen an image, or crop it?  do you ever adjust the contrast or highlights?  do you ever alter the vibrance or saturation or clarity of a photograph after you shoot it?

we're assuming you probably do.  (or are you so perfect that everything always emerges from your camera exactly as you want the final jpg?)

well, if you're allowed to adjust all these parameters in post in lightroom/aperture/photoshop, what do you have against a videographer stabilizing video in post in premiere?

i'm not sure you have though this through?

for instance, if you were running adobe, would you simply declare "why not just shoot it the way you want it," and shut down their billion-dollar industry of post-processing software?

smile

Jul 13 12 11:00 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
rfordphotos
Posts: 4,634
Antioch, California, US


HJM Photography wrote:
i'm not sure you have though this through?

smile

You would REALLY like us to believe you have no agenda here, wouldnt you?

You have been told over and over again that folks do not agree with your main premise, that is, that QUALITY stills and video can be produced by a single photographer AT THE SAME TIME.

You know the rules of the site prevent us from telling you exactly WHY we find your "premise" lacking because you flatly refuse to post any of your stills or video in critique.

The message Mark was sending about "shakey" video was plain for all of us.... shoot video with the appropriate tools and you wont need extra post... Steady Cam rigs are readily available to almost anyone, and work quite well... Your lashed up rig with a still and a video cam on a bracket wont produce those results because it isnt the right tool for the job, it is as simple as that.

You know all this, but you ... have an agenda.

Jul 13 12 11:16 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
HJM Photography
Posts: 1,479
Malibu, California, US


rfordphotos wrote:
You would REALLY like us to believe you have no agenda here, wouldnt you?

You have been told over and over again that folks do not agree with your main premise, that is, that QUALITY stills and video can be produced by a single photographer AT THE SAME TIME.

You know the rules of the site prevent us from telling you exactly WHY we find your "premise" lacking because you flatly refuse to post any of your stills or video in critique.

The message Mark was sending about "shakey" video was plain for all of us.... shoot video with the appropriate tools and you wont need extra post... Steady Cam rigs are readily available to almost anyone, and work quite well... Your lashed up rig with a still and a video cam on a bracket wont produce those results because it isnt the right tool for the job, it is as simple as that.

You know all this, but you ... have an agenda.

yes, shoot video with the appropriate gear! 

turn the image stabilization on!

but now and then, some of it might be shaky!

so stabilize it with adobe premiere's warp stabilization! smile

personally, i almost never need to stabilize video in post, as the dynamic image stabilization on the canons and panasonic and sony camcorders is AMAZING.  visit your local camera shop, and check out a high-end sony camcorder.  move the camera around, and you will see the from element/lens PHYSICALLY moving so as to stabilize the video.  AMAZING results!

on the other hand the Nikon D800/D800E & Canon 5D Mark III have no image stabilization.

my new favorite device for video capture is the Panasonic X900MK 3MOS 3D Full HD SD Camcorder with 32GB Internal Memory:
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-X900MK- … b_title_ce

My fav. feature: "Powerful hand-shake compensation over the entire zoom range.
HYBRID O.I.S. + HYBRID O.I.S. + uses five-axis correction to thoroughly suppress blurring all the way from wide-angle shots to powerful zoom shots. It also achieves superb effects when shooting while walking. This lets you capture crisp, clear images, without blurring, in almost every shooting situation."

It blows the DSLR out of the water when it comes to video!

3MOS System Pro
    Leica Dicomar Lens
    Full 3D HD

Equivalent to Four Times the Pixel Count of Full-HD: Advanced 3MOS Sensor with Pixel Shift Technology
The 3MOS Sensor splits the light information captured by the lens into the three primary colors - red, green and blue - and processes each color with its own individual sensor. This reduces light loss compared to the 1MOS sensor. Pixel Shift Technology, which took years to develop, provides a huge number of effective pixels for moving pictures – equivalent to four times the pixel count of Full-HD. This technology renders ultrafine images with excellent color reproduction and superb detail.

Love it!  And barely ever need to stabilize video in post!  Though I can if needed in Adobe Premiere 6.0. smile

Technology always comes through!

And an awesome 1.5 LEICA Dicomar Lens with Nano Surface Coating on the Panasonic X900MK to top it off!

Bright, High-Performance Lens
New 29.8mm Wide-Angle* F1.5 LEICA Dicomar Lens with Nano Surface Coating Technology
New large-diameter F1.5 lens is mounted with a Nano Surface Coating applied to the front lens surface. These advanced lens systems suppress ghosts and flaring when shooting moving pictures, and let you record bright images with very little noise even in dark places. In addition, the 29.8mm wide-angle* is especially convenient for recording indoor or in tight spaces.

Ever shot with a LEICA lens Antioch Photography?  If not, you're missing out big!
rock on! smile

Jul 13 12 11:26 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
L A U B E N H E I M E R
Posts: 8,468
Seattle, Washington, US


HJM Photography wrote:
thanks! yes, a quick google search shows that as time moves on, you are becoming less and less capable of derailing my threads. smile

smile

well, it's pretty hard to derail a thread when it gets locked so quickly.

Jul 14 12 06:48 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Breanna Baker
Posts: 169
Los Angeles, California, US


Apr 24 13 03:52 pm  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers