login info join!
Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > black goo look Search   Reply
Model
Kymlee
Posts: 800
Boston, Massachusetts, US


okay so I'm setting up this ENTIRE "demon" type shoot and I have this vision in my head of how it should look.

If anyone has seen snow white and the huntsman, you'll probably remember the scene where Charlize Theron melts into this black goo, and she crawls out covered head to toe in it. It looked visually AMAZING. and I got this idea... My friend and I are "demons" and covered from neck to feet in this dark dark dark black goo and it's dripping off of us and looking all sinister and stuff... The only problem is, I don't know what to use. AND we'll be clothed in body suits (neither of us do nudes) but our photographer or I can both retouch fairly well and can remove any lines, to make it look like we're nude without showing parts (like mystique' from xmen kinda thing)
So I looked into what to use, and I found black liquid latex, but I've never used it before, should I use this? Is it safe to cover the whole body in it minus the face? Will we need quite a lot? Please let me know if you have any other suggestions! I'm so excited, this shoot is going to be so much fun.
Jul 18 12 11:38 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Elizabethmakeup
Posts: 338
Hereford, England, United Kingdom


Body latex will not give you the look that you are going for. It dries matte and will look exactly like you are wearing a matte latex catsuit.

I saw a music video being made where the girl was covered head to toe in treacle. Given the right light, it looked black and she looked amazing. Very messy though.

Update: Have just done some research and this article mentions that the white 'milk' is McDonald's milkshake mix!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar … adrid.html
Jul 18 12 11:45 am  Link  Quote 
Body Painter
Lisa Berczel
Posts: 3,986
Corona, California, US


Black edible piping gel will work - it is very thick and goopy. If it's not opaque enough, you can add pigment or black body paint.

http://www.shopchefrubber.com/piping-gel/
Jul 18 12 12:09 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Kymlee
Posts: 800
Boston, Massachusetts, US


the white goo was cool, but I can't figure out what they used for the black goo scene... I dont have photos to show you but at 3:47 in this fan video you will see it! it's fabulous!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4jMgG3R … re=related

ooo here's a better one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=en … zYOMQ&NR=1
Jul 18 12 12:13 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Fotographia Fantastique
Posts: 17,324
Lebanon, New Hampshire, US


Kymlee wrote:
the white goo was cool, but I can't figure out what they used for the black goo scene... I dont have photos to show you but at 3:47 in this fan video you will see it! it's fabulous!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4jMgG3R … re=related

ooo here's a better one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=en … zYOMQ&NR=1

As coincidence would have it, I surfed across an FX page for Snow White and the Huntsman just this morning - turns out most of those liquid effects were done digitally
http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2012/07/g … e-and.html
Fangoria also reported that it was done largely digitally (my guess is she was wearing a chroma key green suit the way The Walking Dead did for crawling corpses with guts hanging out).

Sorry, probably not what you want to hear.
BUT, I did find this thread on a cinematography forum with some suggestions:
http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=32772

Jul 18 12 12:35 pm  Link  Quote 
Body Painter
Lisa Berczel
Posts: 3,986
Corona, California, US


Fotographia Fantastique wrote:
... I did find this thread on a cinematography forum with some suggestions:
http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=32772

OP, be careful... as good as the information is, this link also has suggestions for NON-cosmetic artist products.

Jul 18 12 12:39 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Kymlee
Posts: 800
Boston, Massachusetts, US


thanks for the references. Now I've read some other threads that some of the special FX stuff can be harmful to the skin... I'm really looking for a slimy wet just jumped out of a vat of black as night oil, I'd like NONE of my real skin to show below the jawline.... I really loved the consistency of the white goo that we were talking about earlier, but just in the color black. It was milkshakes and a thickening agent that they used, but I don't think I have the money for something that epic haha. Also, the only reason I was thinking liquid latex was because it's so black and I could pour it on over a base coat. I also know were doing this shoot outside somewhere so we have plenty of ventilation, and it will only be on us for maybe an hour tops. So any advice here, or if you have any comparable stuff to use that is the consistency that I desire. The piping gel was a col idea, but that stuff is too see through and I think we'd need a LOT of it (which I don't really have the $$$ for), thanks for all of your feedback!!!
Jul 18 12 01:01 pm  Link  Quote 
Body Painter
Lisa Berczel
Posts: 3,986
Corona, California, US


Kymlee wrote:
thanks for the references. Now I've read some other threads that some of the special FX stuff can be harmful to the skin... I'm really looking for a slimy wet just jumped out of a vat of black as night oil, I'd like NONE of my real skin to show below the jawline.... I really loved the consistency of the white goo that we were talking about earlier, but just in the color black. It was milkshakes and a thickening agent that they used, but I don't think I have the money for something that epic haha. Also, the only reason I was thinking liquid latex was because it's so black and I could pour it on over a base coat. I also know were doing this shoot outside somewhere so we have plenty of ventilation, and it will only be on us for maybe an hour tops. So any advice here, or if you have any comparable stuff to use that is the consistency that I desire. The piping gel was a col idea, but that stuff is too see through and I think we'd need a LOT of it (which I don't really have the $$$ for), thanks for all of your feedback!!!

I understand, and stick by my recommendation for the edible piping gel - I've used it successfully on several shoots including video. Inexpensive, very thick, and versatile and DOES "play well" with base coats of bodypaint provided you use the proper formulas.

NOTE: Edible "black" is not in fact *black*. It is a combination of OTHER food-approved pigments and can often have a color shift. This shift is easy to correct in post - or the gel can be mixed with cosmetic pigment or body paint.

Jul 18 12 01:05 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Kymlee
Posts: 800
Boston, Massachusetts, US


Lisa Berczel wrote:

I understand, and stick by my recommendation for the edible piping gel - I've used it successfully on several shoots including video. Inexpensive, very thick, and versatile and DOES "play well" with base coats of bodypaint provided you use the proper formulas.

NOTE: Edible "black" is not in fact *black*. It is a combination of OTHER food-approved pigments and can often have a color shift. This shift is easy to correct in post - or the gel can be mixed with cosmetic pigment or body paint.

is there a certain body paint I can use to darken it until it's not transparent at all anymore? I would like to try it, I'm just hesitant to spend money and not get the desired look. Do you have a formula you'd be willing to share with me, I really am interested, because that would be the safest route I think...

Jul 18 12 01:14 pm  Link  Quote 
Body Painter
Lisa Berczel
Posts: 3,986
Corona, California, US


The Piping Gel may be opaque enough on it's own right - it REALLY depends on the lighting and quantity. If needed, I mix in a super inexpensive Palmer's Face Paint to bump opacity - or any water based body paint I have on hand - Mehron, Ben Nye....

There is no formula other than a lighting test.

I'm not a fan of completely opaque - it has less visual interest and doesn't provide as much interaction between skin and camera, IMO.
Jul 18 12 01:23 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
BMR-MUA
Posts: 548
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Kymlee wrote:
thanks for the references. Now I've read some other threads that some of the special FX stuff can be harmful to the skin... I'm really looking for a slimy wet just jumped out of a vat of black as night oil, I'd like NONE of my real skin to show below the jawline.... I really loved the consistency of the white goo that we were talking about earlier, but just in the color black. It was milkshakes and a thickening agent that they used, but I don't think I have the money for something that epic haha. Also, the only reason I was thinking liquid latex was because it's so black and I could pour it on over a base coat. I also know were doing this shoot outside somewhere so we have plenty of ventilation, and it will only be on us for maybe an hour tops. So any advice here, or if you have any comparable stuff to use that is the consistency that I desire. The piping gel was a col idea, but that stuff is too see through and I think we'd need a LOT of it (which I don't really have the $$$ for), thanks for all of your feedback!!!

You could try Movie Black Slime. To make a similar compound use a product like J Lube (a veterinary lubricant, made from polyethylene oxide and sucrose, see the MSDS) mixed with a cosmetic color like Ben Nye Charcoal Powder (iron oxide).

Jul 18 12 01:25 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Kymlee
Posts: 800
Boston, Massachusetts, US


Elizabethmakeup wrote:
Body latex will not give you the look that you are going for. It dries matte and will look exactly like you are wearing a matte latex catsuit.

I saw a music video being made where the girl was covered head to toe in treacle. Given the right light, it looked black and she looked amazing. Very messy though.

Update: Have just done some research and this article mentions that the white 'milk' is McDonald's milkshake mix!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar … adrid.html

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lg0xs … o1_500.jpg

THIS is exactly what I mean but all over.... I just noticed you typed treacle and this is what came up! This might be my solution!!!! yay!

Jul 18 12 04:17 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Poundn Iron Graphics
Posts: 235
Alpena, Michigan, US


AGAR-AGAR is the seaweed gel / thickener used in the asian Nuru Massage. (aka Body slide) Seems to be very cheap on the market listings for bulk bags. Cho-co powder, choclate syrup, molassas, try others for dark.  (food color will stain skin)

Bio friendly and cheap,,,, "The Blob" yes the movie was truck loads of corn starch.
Aug 02 12 07:07 pm  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers