login info join!
Forums > Critique > Your Worst image. Ask and I'll tell you why. Search   Reply
first2627282930313233last
Photographer
ikonas Boston
Posts: 661
Boston, Massachusetts, US


Greetings folks, I am back. Your inquiries are welcome.
Dec 09 12 09:21 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Verona Fink
Posts: 1
Overland Park, Kansas, US


I would love to know my worst image!
Dec 13 12 05:31 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
SJImage
Posts: 6
Derby, England, United Kingdom


im in smile i would love to improve although i am mainly shoot faces.
Dec 13 12 06:16 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ikonas Boston
Posts: 661
Boston, Massachusetts, US


Verona Fink wrote:
I would love to know my worst image!

Greetings Verona, thanks for stopping by. Seems like you just had a baby, congrats.... hope all went well. Your port is brief, and I like it that way as my motto in this forum is LESS IS MORE.

I propose not removing any images as you are diverse, and the photography is good. But if you push me I would ask you to delete your pregnancy image with the big saw as I do not quite understand neither appreciate the concept. Pregnancy is about beauty so I dont like to see implied violence in it. Have the viewer (and potential client) walk away from your port smiling, rather than feeling discomfort. I think your viewers would agree with me based on the poor comment to view ratio this image has been getting. FOr more on this subject, see my guidelines on page 1 of this forum.
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/28300908


You boast in your profile that you have 28 tats. Since I love tats, I would love to see a better display of them in your port. I would like to see images that show your tats as the main subject, as opposed to as incidental display.

My favorite image is this one for the light, styling and your beauty.
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120112/14/4f0f635d5a9fe_m.jpg

Dec 14 12 01:16 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ikonas Boston
Posts: 661
Boston, Massachusetts, US


SJImage wrote:
im in smile i would love to improve although i am mainly shoot faces.

Hello SJ, Welcome to the world of photography and to MM. I think you are having a great start. Like seen in my last review, your port is brief and I like that.

My first criticism would be about your collages which I am not a fan of in general. Please see Rule [3] listed in the guidelines of my original post. Collages/composites I consider a detriment to your port for couple of reasons. Like your port, your collage will be judged by its worst image, not by its best. Furthermore, the thumbnail of the composite does not show enough detail to invite a visitor in. Unless there is an unbelievable story line, avoid these. At the least, delete the image below. Your viewers would agree too - the image got only 1 comment in 156 views - see my view to comment ratio rule in my original post.
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120411/14/4f85f2cb04c93_m.jpg

While your photography is quite good - composition, light, etc, I see that you tend to overphotoshop your portraits. I happen to also spend a lot of time carefully editing my images, but my goal is to make sure that the end product does not show evidence of this post work. Sometimes I am sucessful, other times less so. However, it is quite evident in your portraits that the skin is too plastic to be real. This portrait is a good example of that. While it is a great image, and I do not recommend you deleting it, I just want to note the plastic skin, to be avoided in future work.
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121213/12/50ca41313ef95_m.jpg

Besides the above image which is one of my favorites (in spite of the plastic skin) I also love this captivating portrait
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120602/07/4fca226143051_m.jpg

Dec 14 12 01:34 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Optix
Posts: 223
Boston, Massachusetts, US


I am a hoarder big_smile

Note:  I hadn't read the comments prior to my initial post.

I love the eloquent and intelligent manner in which you present them. That being said, I disagree with this:

ikonas wrote:
...
But if you push me I would ask you to delete your pregnancy image with the big saw as I do not quite understand neither appreciate the concept. Pregnancy is about beauty so I dont like to see implied violence in it. Have the viewer (and potential client) walk away from your port smiling, rather than feeling discomfort.
...

I don't intend to hijack the thread, but in light of the rare form of critique you offer, I wanted to reiterate that some artists want an emotional response, regardless of whether it is positive or negative.

I wasn't cheery about the image either, but I felt it was effective in getting an emotional response, because of the contrast of life and destruction. If I had the honor to title that image, I would call it:

"Mayhem and Expectations"

Dec 14 12 01:45 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Kylie Sloan
Posts: 3
Santa Rosa, California, US


why not
Dec 14 12 01:57 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
MickCetera
Posts: 276
Chicago, Illinois, US


Very curious! This makes sense, I'm going to start making cuts.
Dec 14 12 02:58 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
AYC Photo
Posts: 122
Seattle, Washington, US


Memememe. smile
Dec 14 12 03:01 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ikonas Boston
Posts: 661
Boston, Massachusetts, US


Optix  wrote:
I am a hoarder big_smile

Note:  I hadn't read the comments prior to my initial post.

I love the eloquent and intelligent manner in which you present them. That being said, I disagree with this:

"But if you push me I would ask you to delete your pregnancy image with the big saw as I do not quite understand neither appreciate the concept. Pregnancy is about beauty so I dont like to see implied violence in it. Have the viewer (and potential client) walk away from your port smiling, rather than feeling discomfort."

I don't intend to hijack the thread, but in light of the rare form of critique you offer, I wanted to reiterate that some artists want an emotional response, regardless of whether it is positive or negative.

I wasn't cheery about the image either, but I felt it was effective in getting an emotional response, because of the contrast of life and destruction. If I had the honor to title that image, I would call it:

"Mayhem and Expectations"

Hello my Boston neighbor,

Your point is well taken, I do see your logic, however I hold a different opinion.

True, one could argue that art, in a broad sense, is about invoking an emotional response, regardless of whether it is positive or negative. However, in the context of Modelmayhem portfolios, art assumes a narrower scope. Here, art celebrates the (inner and outer) beauty of the human form. Furthermore Modelmayhem is not just about art, but it is also a vehicle to promote the artist's beauty and/or skills. A model's goal here, to a large extent, is to market herself.

So in light of what I just said, I think the best way for a model to promote herself is to leave the viewer - and potential client - with good and positive feelings. This way he/she is more likely to hire the model, be it for fee or TFCD. Hence my Rule [5] - avoid negative themes - which I listed in the guidelines  posted on page 1 of this forum.

While I do disagree with you, I welcome your comment as it is a thought provoking argument.

Dec 14 12 05:55 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ikonas Boston
Posts: 661
Boston, Massachusetts, US


Dec 14 12 05:56 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ikonas Boston
Posts: 661
Boston, Massachusetts, US


Kylie Sloan  wrote:
why not

Hello Kylie, welcome to the world of modeling. If you were a more experienced model I would first ask you to delete all your variants (same outfit, same scene) - Rule [1] in my guidelines posted on page 1. However since you are just starting out, you probably had just one or two photo shoots, thus you have limited choice of images to display.  Everyone has to start somewhere. So keep what you have for now.

You do have a great look, that is beautiful face, figure, and lovely natural smile. Here is my favorite image for its great wardrobe tastetfully showing your gorgeous figure in a lovely setting.
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121214/00/50cadfc5e7d13_m.jpg

I do have few recommendation for you. Your goal should be to hook up with several talented (and reputable) photographers that can best portray your beauty. Second, avoid smiling in every image - show a diversity in emotions as well as in poses. Don’t just "pose" as it will likely be contrived. Rather, do something that is natural - walk, sit and relax, show surprise, provide an alluring expression, etc, etc. And when the time comes, start deleting your initial images, and avoid variants.

Good luck and have fun!

Dec 15 12 11:17 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Darin B
Posts: 998
San Diego, California, US


Please do. Thank you!
Dec 15 12 12:27 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Alixx Rose
Posts: 225
Atlanta, Georgia, US


I'd like to know too, thanks!
Dec 15 12 12:29 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Maddy Powers
Posts: 5
Houston, Texas, US


ill play! tell me my worst one .
Dec 15 12 06:09 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ikonas Boston
Posts: 661
Boston, Massachusetts, US


Happy Holidays everyone !!
Dec 23 12 04:21 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Jhomel
Posts: 180
Singapore, Singapore, Singapore


Im in
Dec 24 12 07:09 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Emily Smiles
Posts: 271
Columbia, South Carolina, US


If you're still at it, I would love to know as I recently revamped my MM port.

Merry Christmas!!
Dec 24 12 07:18 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jackson frontier photos
Posts: 531
Joplin, Missouri, US


Please don't post a thumb, but I'm in, be gentle, I'm a newb.
Dec 24 12 07:37 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
MB Jen B
Posts: 2,833
Clarksville, Tennessee, US


Hi,

I'd like your critique but, first, need to offer the disclaimer that I do have variants from a couple shoots, (I need to hide them but, need a little more time!)

I also had to re-read through lots of pages here to make sure I hadn't already asked.

Thanks,
Jen
Dec 24 12 09:26 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
jfh studio
Posts: 6
Alexandria, Virginia, US


Hello have a look. I thought I posted before but I can't find it.  Happy Christmas.
Dec 24 12 09:52 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ZGP
Posts: 1
Duluth, Minnesota, US


I'm Game ^_^
Dec 24 12 10:14 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Gwen Joy
Posts: 96
Redford, Michigan, US


let me know
Dec 25 12 05:34 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
An Italian
Posts: 96
Boston, Massachusetts, US


Always nice to see another Bostonian on here. Happy Holidays! I would love to hear your thoughts.
Dec 25 12 09:48 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
PerfectionxQueenie
Posts: 79
Sacramento, California, US


I am up for it.
Dec 25 12 11:56 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ikonas Boston
Posts: 661
Boston, Massachusetts, US


Greetings everyone. After a six months hiatus, I am back and ready to critique the next few requests.

Cheers
Jul 09 13 06:03 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Jhomel
Posts: 180
Singapore, Singapore, Singapore


Can u help me with this? Thxs smile
Jul 09 13 07:16 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ikonas Boston
Posts: 661
Boston, Massachusetts, US


Jhomel wrote:
Can u help me with this? Thxs smile

Please read my last post for guidelines

Jul 09 13 07:21 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Jhomel
Posts: 180
Singapore, Singapore, Singapore


Hi, so sorry about it.

My port mostly are pictures baring the body as this is something I'm much confident in and I'm trying to move ahead into the direction of fitness shoot. However, I would still like to filter the best and the worst to get the best portfolio so I need your advise on it.

Anyway, it hard for me to tell from the audience point of view ( view to ratio ) etc cause I don't have many comments from audience except base on list?

Dislike

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/33101839

Not because its has the lowest view, but expression and pose is bit of awkward. Just simply not my liking. Sorry, just a amateur thoughts.

Like

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30636094

Beautiful model with great figure and nice pose. I like the B&W and the shadow effect. Just simply sweet and perfect. smile

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/25393929
Jul 09 13 09:46 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Jamina Wittke
Posts: 50
Carlisle, England, United Kingdom


Would love to know! smile
Jul 10 13 07:28 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ikonas Boston
Posts: 661
Boston, Massachusetts, US


Jhomel wrote:
Hi, so sorry about it.

My port mostly are pictures baring the body as this is something I'm much confident in and I'm trying to move ahead into the direction of fitness shoot. However, I would still like to filter the best and the worst to get the best portfolio so I need your advise on it.

Anyway, it hard for me to tell from the audience point of view ( view to ratio ) etc cause I don't have many comments from audience except base on list?

Dislike

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/33101839

Not because its has the lowest view, but expression and pose is bit of awkward. Just simply not my liking. Sorry, just a amateur thoughts.

Like

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30636094

Beautiful model with great figure and nice pose. I like the B&W and the shadow effect. Just simply sweet and perfect. smile

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/25393929

Hello,

If you wish mostly baring pictures, then you have done a good job in your port. Your poses and expressions are strong,  and your photographer has done superb job in capturing you in great light.

I propose deleting your white underwear image as your smiling expression is rather weak. Furthermore there is an annoying crease showing on your right hip/abdomen.

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130421/18/517496f53cc19_m.jpg

While you are proud of your muscles, I do propose that in the future, as you diversify your port, you add images to include casual and formal wardrobe.

Regarding your comment on my weak image - I totally agree with you. Besides her weak expression, there is no strong concept to support the image. Since I captured the image just last week, I will keep it there for a while (in respect to the model) however I will likely end up deleting it.

Thanks and all the best.

Jul 10 13 02:10 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DRaskin Photography
Posts: 164
Sacramento, California, US


I am very interested in your opinion. Thanks.
Jul 10 13 04:03 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ikonas Boston
Posts: 661
Boston, Massachusetts, US


Jamina Wittke wrote:
Would love to know! smile

Greetings Jamina, thanks for stopping by.

You have some strong images and you port is compact - a definite plus in my book.

If you follow my rules spelled out on Page 1 of this form, you will learn that variant images ought to be avoided as they devalue one's port - see Rule [1]. Accordingly, I advise you to delete your second image as it is a variant of the first (same location, same wardrobe) and it also is a variant of the your fourth image (both squatting). Furthermore the pose seems contrived.

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130627/13/51cca670d753d_m.jpg
I also propose removing another variant image for the same reason - you wear the same wardrobe in another image.
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130627/13/51cca55204c81_m.jpg

My favorites are your gorgeous portrait
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110718/10/4e246ff0e6268_m.jpg

And your last image for a great display your very sensuous behind smile
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130627/13/51cca59438e40_m.jpg

Jul 10 13 04:22 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ikonas Boston
Posts: 661
Boston, Massachusetts, US


DRaskin Photography wrote:
I am very interested in your opinion. Thanks.

Hello D,

Your port while brief, is diverse showing quite captivating images. I like your retro series. You show talent and potential.

Like in my previous post, I repeat not to post multiple images of variant kind. This is the number one mistake by models and photographers alike. You seem to show two or three images of your model wearing the same wardrobe. Even if both images are great, I recommend picking your favorite and letting go of the other one. I know its hard to do.

I recommend deleting the following two images:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130216/01/511f58233f0ed_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130423/08/5176ae7847837_m.jpg
If you prefer, keep these images but delete their variants.

My favorite are your image of Kittie for capturing her beauty, and lovely curves in high key  light.
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130701/11/51d1c67b18c21_m.jpg

I love the feel of this image due to its location and soft light.
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130612/08/51b89016df8af_m.jpg

I wish you luck and success in your artistic journey!

Jul 10 13 04:57 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DRaskin Photography
Posts: 164
Sacramento, California, US


ikonas Boston wrote:
Like in my previous post, I repeat not to post multiple images of variant kind. This is the number one mistake by models and photographers alike. You seem to show two or three images of your model wearing the same wardrobe. Even if both images are great, I recommend picking your favorite and letting go of the other one. I know its hard to do.

It completely agree that I have a few variant images. A bit hard at times for me to determine which to delete, which is why I value these critique forums and the opinions given. I thank you for your time on this, and appreciate the kind words. That photo of Kittie is one of my favorites of my own work so far.

Jul 10 13 08:01 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
dandylioness
Posts: 12
San Jose, California, US


Hello! This is actually such a helpful thread, and I would love your feedback (harsh as it may be).

I often find some of my expressions weak, but get praise for it... so I end up being very confused. All in all, I try to keep a variety on this MM account, but I'm waiting on more trade opportunities to really build my portfolio ._.;;;

I'm begging for help here tongue It's much appreciated already! Thank you~
Jul 10 13 08:27 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Paige Thomley
Posts: 571
West Bend, Wisconsin, US


I would love to know your opinion.
Jul 10 13 08:49 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Ad Nazar
Posts: 16
Tampa, Florida, US


Me Me Me! smile
Jul 10 13 09:06 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ikonas Boston
Posts: 661
Boston, Massachusetts, US


dandylioness wrote:
Hello! This is actually such a helpful thread, and I would love your feedback (harsh as it may be).

I often find some of my expressions weak, but get praise for it... so I end up being very confused. All in all, I try to keep a variety on this MM account, but I'm waiting on more trade opportunities to really build my portfolio ._.;;;

I'm begging for help here tongue It's much appreciated already! Thank you~

Hello Dandylioness,

Welcome to MM. Expression is a cruicial factors that makes or breaks a model's photo. So I am glad that you are concerned about this -unlike many other rookie models.

Do I think your expressions weak? Yes I do. You are smiling in most of your images a smile usually is not a strong expression, especially when forced. Your current AVI is a good example. You seem cute, a nice photo to post on Facebook or send to a friend, but not here.
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130709/19/51dcc5a128fe3_m.jpg

I advise my models not to smile, because very few are actually capable of producing a genuine smile by forcing it. However, I might crack a joke and then when they don’t expect it I capture their expression.

Experiment with a variety of emotions - show anger, surprise, sultriness, etc.  Show diversity. You do have gorgeous face so I am convinced that interesting expressions will help produce amazing images.

I would not recommend deleting any images at this time as your port is still very small.

My favorite image is your squatting image. Yes, you are smiling here, but you are looking away from the camera  makes this interesting and your smile does actually seem quite natural here.
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130701/22/51d26764dd4d6_m.jpg

Another favorite of mine is your B&W. However, I propose deleting it and posting only the right side as I discourage the posting of collages in artists ports. See Rule [3] on page 1 of this thread.
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130606/23/51b1846ed6b2a_m.jpg

Best of luck and most importantly, have fun.

Jul 11 13 04:15 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Paige Morgan
Posts: 4,058
New York, New York, US


Go on and tell me. I have thick skin. smile
Jul 11 13 04:36 pm  Link  Quote 
first2627282930313233last   Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers