login info join!
Forums > Model Colloquy > Will nudes affect a future career? Search   Reply
1234last
Model
Anna Storm
Posts: 146
Charlotte, North Carolina, US


What do you think? Do you have experience with nudes messing with a career opportunity? Or has it not been an issue at all?

I'm planning on going to grad school and getting my masters or PhD in counseling. I've been considering doing some artistic nudes and possibly some glamour.  It's a big decision so I'm just curious to get some input.

Thanks Everyoone smile
Aug 14 12 09:18 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Dimetra Seraphim
Posts: 17
Northglenn, Colorado, US


No issue for me at all. In fact I'm starting to get into fashion myself, and so far I don't seem to have an issue with it. However, the moment you say you're willing to do nudes, your inbox will start exploding. So just be sure it's something you really wanna do and be sure to NEVER go alone! Even if you know the person, take someone else with you! Safety in numbers.

Good luck and be safe!
Aug 14 12 09:21 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Through Elizabeths Eyes
Posts: 4,916
Yelm, Washington, US


Dimetra Seraphim wrote:
No issue for me at all. In fact I'm starting to get into fashion myself, and so far I don't seem to have an issue with it. However, the moment you say you're willing to do nudes, your inbox will start exploding. So just be sure it's something you really wanna do and be sure to NEVER go alone! Even if you know the person, take someone else with you! Safety in numbers.

Good luck and be safe!

roll

Disregarding the escort bullshit...

When you do nudes, assume everyone you ever have known and ever will know will see them.

Use an alias to help try and cut that number down.

If you feel this is something that could be detrimental to your future career, don't do it.

I love shooting nudes, and I love shooting nude. I am also not at all naive that everyone I know could possibly find these photos, and as such, I never do anything I would not be comfortable showing to anyone, that I am ashamed of, etc.

I will also say that artistic nudes tend to go over a lot better than glamour nudes, which tend to be highly sexualized.


edit: I see you say you're agency represented, as well. You might want to double check with your agency and make sure they don't have a problem with you doing nudes. Make the decision to stay or not stay with that agency based on how much work they're actually getting you, depending on your personal decision.

Aug 14 12 09:26 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Poses
Posts: 8,139
Kansas City, Missouri, US


It has the potential to follow you around forever. There's a reason I don't have full-on nudes on display anymore.

Last week a younger colleague of mine decided to announce (completely unprompted!) that I met my boyfriend because I "posed as a nude llama for him." She made it sound super sleazy. I was in a position of authority over the people I was with...and then I was completely undermined and looked at differently.

Your colleagues and clients will look at you differently when (and always assume it's when, not if) they find out. Take your field and where you wish to practice into account. When in doubt, don't take the risk.
Aug 14 12 09:38 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
R Michael Walker
Posts: 11,982
Costa Mesa, California, US


Anna Storm wrote:
What do you think? Do you have experience with nudes messing with a career opportunity? Or has it not been an issue at all?

I'm planning on going to grad school and getting my masters or PhD in counseling. I've been considering doing some artistic nudes and possibly some glamor.  It's a big decision so I'm just curious to get some input.

Thanks Everyone smile

Sure..if you are going into a conservative field. Politics. Religion. K12 education. Politics. They'd all frown on nude pics of you popping up. Especially "glamor" nudes.

I'm planning my 50th anniversary exhibitions now. I have releases but am contacting as many people as I can find to let them know they may be included. One of the main reasons I joined Facebook BTW..to find people I haven't seen since the s70's and 80's. As Turns out I have one former LT Governor in the show. A couple lawyers. Several nurses (None of them see to care) and about 5 people with very close ties to their local churches who are not keen on the idea of nude photos of themselves being shown even though they will mostly be in College Fine Art Galleries. Also let me say that none of these people are really recognizable from 20 to 40 years ago looking at their current pictures. And it's not like I regularly use full names either. But it seems people get more conservative as the get older. A few I found just never answered me.

PS..A long time girlfriend/model of mine had her 16 year old kid's best friend Google her and find nudes of her from her Playboy days. Now she's know as "Playboy Mommy" to all his Friends. It will either make him proud, stronger or in need of Psych care.

Aug 14 12 09:44 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Cowgirl Abby
Posts: 2
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


Well Y'all, It depends on what you want to do in your future, I am under contract as a covergirl/Brand Ambassador to a Major Cosmetic company, They did a MAJOR search and I had to sign a guarantee that I have not and will NOT do any nudes or implied, anything that "They" would consider distasteful in there eyes.......or there customers.
You need to do the math and see what works for you, It has not hurt my career not doing them, and if you need to ask then there is question in your mind, if it is not you, then don't do it, you do not need to do nudes/implied to have a great career in modeling. Think about this,  actors always seem to complain when they do something and then get "Type" cast of the same rolls.......shooting nudes, could do the same, my 2 cents worth.
Best of luck in your career.
Aug 14 12 09:48 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
wiseleo
Posts: 1,686
Castro Valley, California, US


Counseling? In my opinion, yes it would likely affect your sessions when your clients come across your work. Facial and image recognition make anonymity largely impossible.
Aug 14 12 09:54 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Rick OBanion Photo
Posts: 1,350
Saint Catharines-Niagara, Ontario, Canada


Cowgirl Abby wrote:
Well Y'all, It depends on what you want to do in your future, I am under contract as a covergirl/Brand Ambassador to a Major Cosmetic company, They did a MAJOR search and I had to sign a guarantee that I have not and will NOT do any nudes or implied, anything that "They" would consider distasteful in there eyes.......or there customers.
You need to do the math and see what works for you, It has not hurt my career not doing them, and if you need to ask then there is question in your mind, if it is not you, then don't do it, you do not need to do nudes/implied to have a great career in modeling. Think about this,  actors always seem to complain when they do something and then get "Type" cast of the same rolls.......shooting nudes, could do the same, my 2 cents worth.
Best of luck in your career.

Elle McPherson did a (smoking hot) nude lesbian scene and no make up companies cared...
I guess the answer is 'it all depends'. In Europe or Canada, no one cares. In Jesusland..ya never know.

Aug 14 12 10:03 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Kaley King
Posts: 1,027
Jefferson City, Missouri, US


The obvious answer...it depends.  I remember awhile back reading about a playboy model who was a lawyer.  She did an article and everything on it...

I want to get my masters in counseling as well.  Sure I wondered if it'd effect my future...really, I can't pay for grad school without some kind of extra money making...

And I like doing it, maybe there will be future consequences, and maybe there won't.  Use a stage name, and just ask yourself what you want most.  A lot of women paid for college and what not through non conventional methods and go on just fine...
Aug 14 12 10:35 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Ken Marcus Studios
Posts: 8,455
Los Angeles, California, US


Of course it will (if you are lucky).

Doing nudes may open a lot of doors for you to succeed, or if you are unlucky you may have problems.  Look how many actresses, models and celebrities have posed nude and became famous. On the other hand, there are some school teachers, military members and religious figures that have regretted doing nudes.

You have to decide if you want to be noticed, or ignored in the public media.

KM
Aug 14 12 10:35 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DMesser Photography
Posts: 1,288
Oceanside, California, US


Like any picture you put on the net, it will be there forever.  That is the first thing you have to know.  If your going into politics, law enforcement or nursing, it could follow you around and affect.  As far as counciling goes, I don't think it would affect you any more than the beautiful implied nude you have in your port.  Just be sure it is something you want to do.  You are gorgeous, so a lot of photographers will want to shoot you nude if you go that way.
Aug 14 12 10:45 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
WisconsinArt
Posts: 156
Nashotah, Wisconsin, US


Don't run for congress if you like to be photographed while tied up.
Aug 15 12 04:11 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Jules NYC
Posts: 16,096
New York, New York, US


Rick OBanion wrote:

Elle McPherson did a (smoking hot) nude lesbian scene and no make up companies cared...
I guess the answer is 'it all depends'. In Europe or Canada, no one cares. In Jesusland..ya never know.

Before or after she was an established model?

Aug 15 12 04:28 am  Link  Quote 
Artist/Painter
MainePaintah
Posts: 1,712
Saco, Maine, US


In this day and age, who knows?

I can say that over the last 10 years, that of some of the models who have worked for me;

2 went on to become doctors, I married a doctor, and my latest model is a scientist with a PHD, working for a very prestigious  laboratory.

None of my models have ever said that modeling nude has ever affected them.
Aug 15 12 04:40 am  Link  Quote 
Artist/Painter
MainePaintah
Posts: 1,712
Saco, Maine, US


Jules NYC wrote:

Before or after she was an established model?

She was a well established model by then. She had already been on the SI cover when she did that movie (can't remember the name of it).

Aug 15 12 04:42 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Jules NYC
Posts: 16,096
New York, New York, US


MainePaintah wrote:

She was a well established model by then. She had already been on the SI cover when she did that movie (can't remember the name of it).

Something to consider if you're not a recognizable figure in the industry.

Aug 15 12 04:47 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
SME
Posts: 20,911
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US


As Poses said, you have to assume it's a matter of when, not if.  If you can live with that, go for it.  If you can't, don't.

Moderators receive frantic messages every single day from former models desperately trying to erase their past from an internet that remembers forever.  Don't be one of them.  Either make the decision knowing full well that you'll have to acknowledge and possibly defend it at some point, or don't do it.
Aug 15 12 04:49 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
KMP
Posts: 4,736
Houston, Texas, US


Counseling?  If you're talking school..even through college, for sure.   But probably in that career, I'd say yeah it'd probably be an issue...in a number of ways.
Aug 15 12 04:52 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Rob Photosby
Posts: 2,428
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia


Elle MacPherson Nude - The film was "Sirens" made in 1994 with Sam Neill, Hugh Grant, and Kate Fisher. MacPherson played one of the models of the eminent Australian artist, Norman Lindsay (Sam Neill).  She gained 20lb to play the part and it was her first fully nude appearance, but, being the businesswoman that she is, she had saved up her nudity until she could get a very high price for it (Elle nude for the first time was a big selling feature for the film).

However, I don't recall any steamy lesbian nude scene in it.  The nudes are in context with the film's theme - either posing nude for the artist or bathing as a group in a stream.
Aug 15 12 04:54 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Rob Photosby
Posts: 2,428
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia


Anna Storm wrote:
What do you think? Do you have experience with nudes messing with a career opportunity? Or has it not been an issue at all?

I'm planning on going to grad school and getting my masters or PhD in counseling. I've been considering doing some artistic nudes and possibly some glamour.  It's a big decision so I'm just curious to get some input.

Thanks Everyoone smile

It depends on the style of the nude.  "trashy" is likely to be a liability in a lot of occupations, but "tasteful" is a different matter, the difference largely being the amount of overt sexuality on display.


JUST RE-READ YOUR PROFILE -  I missed the bit about being disabled and not able to stand or walk.  Go do any modelling you want to do.  It would be seen as a great triumph in the face of adversity and nobody would be able to criticise you for it.

Aug 15 12 05:03 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Jules NYC
Posts: 16,096
New York, New York, US


natural beauties of qld wrote:

It depends on the style of the nude.  "trashy" is likely to be a liability in a lot of occupations, but "tasteful" is a different matter, the difference largely being the amount of overt sexuality on display.

Perhaps stick with artistic nudes, and do glamour only to the extent that you keep your clothes on.

I'm with this one.

Aug 15 12 05:09 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jeffrey M Fletcher
Posts: 4,342
Asheville, North Carolina, US


I have worked with several women with advanced degrees and substantial investment in their careers, which are in fields such as education and therapy. I currently work with one woman who is in behavioral counseling as a specialist in aspbergers, working with children. In a couple of these cases while they are nude, I take some care with the framing to keep the more erotic and revealing images more anonymous.

Which is to say there are many different kinds of nudes and ways of doing them so it's quite difficult to generalize about the effects they may have, effects which can be both positive and negative.

To give some examples: A bodyscape, even one that is quite explicit is unlikely to become known as a picture of an individual unless they claim it. An art nude is also often anonymous due to the conventions of the genre and relatively acceptable socially. When you move towards glamour, clear facial identification, and more explicit erotic content you increase the likelihood both that the image could be problematic and that you could be identified as the model, either by an individual or by software, without you actively claiming the image.

Good choices in photographers and keeping clear communication with them are both good ideas. A "stage" name is common and seems prudent. 


We live in a society that can be quite erotophobic, and surprisingly so. We also live in a society where art is given value in establishing upward mobility and class status. Yes, you can model nude, but some care is warranted.
Aug 15 12 05:19 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jim White Photography
Posts: 593
Orlando, Florida, US


Dimetra Seraphim wrote:
No issue for me at all. In fact I'm starting to get into fashion myself, and so far I don't seem to have an issue with it. However, the moment you say you're willing to do nudes, your inbox will start exploding. So just be sure it's something you really wanna do and be sure to NEVER go alone! Even if you know the person, take someone else with you! Safety in numbers.

Good luck and be safe!

How many people do you take with you on a shoot?

Aug 15 12 05:19 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jim White Photography
Posts: 593
Orlando, Florida, US


Anna Storm wrote:
What do you think? Do you have experience with nudes messing with a career opportunity? Or has it not been an issue at all?

I'm planning on going to grad school and getting my masters or PhD in counseling. I've been considering doing some artistic nudes and possibly some glamour.  It's a big decision so I'm just curious to get some input.

Thanks Everyoone smile

If'n you wind up trying to get a job at a 7th Day Adventist hospital, it will definitely affect your ability to get a job. It depends on the open mindedness of your potential employer, the types of nudes you've done and how much they've been spread around the internet.

1. Keep it mild but remember, once the kitty's out of its cage there's no getting it back. You'll have ) control of where your pictures wind up. 2. Shoot with trustworthy photographers. Don't ask me how to find them. 3. Shoot under an assumed name. This will help greatly when prospective employers do a name search. 4. Don't use any images from nude shoots for more conservative purposes. Even clothed shots. People can do a reverse lookup on a picture and possibly find other galleries.

Aug 15 12 05:25 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
KMP
Posts: 4,736
Houston, Texas, US


Anna Storm wrote:
EDITED......Do you have experience with nudes messing with a career opportunity? ....EDITED.... Thanks Everyoone smile

Just noticed you're from NC.. 

If you plan to work in your state. .a resounding OMG...YES!!!

Aug 15 12 06:37 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Anna Adrielle
Posts: 18,762
Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium


honestly, I don't think it will affect your career.

But always keep in mind that everything you post on the internet has the potential to be seen and found by other people, no matter how protective you are. So just be able to stand up straight and say "yes, I shot nudes. It is art, and I am proud of it, and if your closedmindedness can't handle that, then that is your problem" if someone ever confronts you about it.

I personally know 2 teachers who shoot nudes and glamour nudes, and one councellor as well. some will find it awesome, others will find it upsetting ( but you can never please everyone anyway, so...)
Aug 15 12 06:51 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Farenell Photography
Posts: 17,953
Albany, New York, US


Anna Storm wrote:
What do you think? Do you have experience with nudes messing with a career opportunity? Or has it not been an issue at all?

The answer depends entirely on how segregated you keep your modeling life & your nonmodeling life. It depends also on how conservative the industry in which you'll be going into.

Like if its communication or broadcasting or move further on in the modeling industry (however that's defined), I wouldn't be "that" worried about it. If its like something like the legal profession or investment banking, I might be a little worried. If its having to do ANYTHING w/ children, I'd give serious thought as to the jobs you've done in the past as well as what you plan on doing in the future.

Its nothing against you personally. People can be REALLY judgmental & hyperprotective, especially if there's anything to do w/ kids.

Aug 15 12 06:54 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
rdallasPhotography
Posts: 965
Norristown, Pennsylvania, US


I saw your port and really like it. Many, if not most artistic nudes don't show the identity of the model. You could always have shots that are set up to not have your face recognizable. It would be an interesting challenge for a photographer to do a glamour shoot that way. And with an alias, you should be fine. But given your health situation, shooting nudes shouldn't be an issue, even though we all know that some will always judge. A model I know has it in her release that any image where she is recognizable will not posted with her name on or anywhere near the photo. That does have some holes though. You do have options to pursue nudes to some degree without risking having your identity  associated with them.
Aug 15 12 06:57 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Fotopia
Posts: 1,095
Atlanta, Georgia, US


Rick OBanion wrote:

Elle McPherson did a (smoking hot) nude lesbian scene and no make up companies cared...
I guess the answer is 'it all depends'. In Europe or Canada, no one cares. In Jesusland..ya never know.

Elle McPherson did not do any nude work in North Carolina.

Simply weigh the benefit of posing for nude glamour shots with a local photograper, against the potental for future repercussions.

Aug 15 12 07:16 am  Link  Quote 
Model
P I X I E
Posts: 35,308
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Meh. The company I work for did a background check on me before getting hired. I don't think it has been that much of an issue...
Aug 15 12 07:27 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
AJ_In_Atlanta
Posts: 12,656
Atlanta, Georgia, US


Could it be an issue for non modeling jobs, maybe.
Could it be an issue for modeling, yes.  There are many jobs you will not get that have nudity, in fashion, glamour and art.

Will following that advice about an escort loose you far more jobs, yes.  Also requiring an escort will prevent a lot of non modeling jobs as well as I can't think of any of those that allow it as well.
Aug 15 12 07:35 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Photographer
Rays Fine Art
Posts: 6,064
New York, New York, US


It really depends on many factors, most of which you can't possibly know for sure in advance.  It's reasonable to assume that they would knock you out of work in education, particularly K-12, and work for just about any religious or political organization.  But that's not iron clad.  There are lots of very liberal folks out there who will respect and even applaud your artistic freedom, but you can't know which ones until you get or at least ask for the job.

My best suggestion would be that if the nude work is important to you, go ahead and do it, but take reasonable steps, such as using an alias that is in no way connected to you or anyone connected to you, listing another hometown, etc. and be a little bit discrete in terms of who you tell what to.  If it's an important part of your artistic statement, you probably wouldn't be happy working with a bunch of hide-bound people anyway.

But if it's just something your're considering doing just for kicks or for a few extra bucks, and you are likely to go into one of the fields I mentioned above, you might want to re-think shooting nudes and weigh the possible benefits against the possible penalties.

It would be nice if we were all free to do our own thing but, unfortuantely, we haven't yet achieved that level of civilization.

All IMHO, as always.
Aug 15 12 07:41 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Ryan Kerns
Posts: 123
Richmond, Virginia, US


I've had a model ask me to take down just maxim style implied shots because she was interviewing for a government job... and I've had another model ask to take down body paint shots because she was auditioning for a movie role.

I personally don't think it would have been that big of a deal... but I'm a nice guy and I happened to like both of these models, so I took the shots down for them.... although they stay on google for at least a month after you remove them.
Aug 15 12 08:26 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Art of the nude
Posts: 11,864
Olivet, Michigan, US


Dimetra Seraphim wrote:
No issue for me at all. In fact I'm starting to get into fashion myself, and so far I don't seem to have an issue with it. However, the moment you say you're willing to do nudes, your inbox will start exploding. So just be sure it's something you really wanna do and be sure to NEVER go alone! Even if you know the person, take someone else with you! Safety in numbers.

Good luck and be safe!

"Even if you know the person?"

Wouldn't every additional person be one more potential threat?  With even basic background checking on the photographer, driving to the shoot is far more dangerous than being there, and given the statistics on assault and murder, for many young women, staying home with a boyfriend or husband is more dangerous than going to a photo shoot.

Aug 15 12 08:34 am  Link  Quote 
Model
VyL8 - aubrey nude
Posts: 106
New York, New York, US


If you plan to do it professionally for a number of years, expect that you may have to explain to future employers what you did during that employment gap on your resume.
Aug 15 12 08:35 am  Link  Quote 
Model
P I X I E
Posts: 35,308
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Dimetra Seraphim wrote:
No issue for me at all. In fact I'm starting to get into fashion myself, and so far I don't seem to have an issue with it. However, the moment you say you're willing to do nudes, your inbox will start exploding. So just be sure it's something you really wanna do and be sure to NEVER go alone! Even if you know the person, take someone else with you! Safety in numbers.

Good luck and be safe!

Oh dear god...

An escort won't scare off a potential killer/rapist.

Aug 15 12 08:37 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ontherocks
Posts: 22,322
Salem, Oregon, US


what i've observed is that if someone has a beef with you they will somehow manage to find anything damaging on the internet and use that against you. so i guess the moral of the story is try to get along with everyone (easier said than done).

you can work under an assumed name and try to be careful but there is no guarantee of anonymity. if you don't want your co-workers or boss or friends/relatives seeing the nude pics then don't let them get on the internet.

a halfway solution is to only do covered nudes (implieds) which you see in US magazines.

if i were advising a daughter i'd say don't do it unless you're feeling really gungho and fearless and it's something you just have to do for yourself regardless of the consequences (and there may be consequences). some doors might close because of the nudes but other doors might open. just how it goes. and you can't predict the future.
Aug 15 12 08:41 am  Link  Quote 
Model
NicoleNudes
Posts: 3,817
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


I already have my BA in Psychology and I'm planning on going back to school to either get my masters in something, or doing a college course.

Either way it will probably be involved with doing some counseling.


I had to take a long time to think about what I wanted to do, and if my decide to shoot nudes would effect my career.
I decided that I wanted to shoot nudes - so I took the necessary steps in order to succeed.

I made a new profile under a different name, and I don't mix up the two. The nudes get posed under this profile and the non-nudes get posed under my main profile. I don't have a link leading from one to the other.

Also, I was prepared and went in knowing full well that my friends and family would eventually find out.

If you make the decision to start shooting nudes, you need to make sure that you're ok with having people find them and knowing that you do it. You also need to be aware and be ok with the fact that a future employer might find the pictures and not hire you based on that fact.
Aug 15 12 08:41 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
AJ_In_Atlanta
Posts: 12,656
Atlanta, Georgia, US


I have know people who have gone into counseling with far more damaging pasts then being nude on film.  Frankly if you are going to be helping people with life decisions or problems as large as they may be facing I would find it offensive if they questioned your time llamaing as some sort of "mistake".
Aug 15 12 08:48 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ontherocks
Posts: 22,322
Salem, Oregon, US


the photographer will probably need a picture of your driver's license and thus will have your legal name and that may inadvertently find its way onto the internet. i think it's good to advise photographers to be careful with your real name and to only use your stage name when doing credits and such.

NicoleNudes wrote:
I made a new profile under a different name, and I don't mix up the two. The nudes get posed under this profile and the non-nudes get posed under my main profile. I don't have a link leading from one to the other.

Aug 15 12 08:49 am  Link  Quote 
1234last   Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers