login info join!
Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > How Can I Achieve the Adele Vogue look? Search   Reply
Photographer
Joey B Studio
Posts: 3
Covington, Georgia, US


Hey everyone, I was just wondering if anyone knew how to achieve the Adele Vogue look or something similar in post processing. thanks.
http://pleasantriesandpitbulls.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/adele-0312-2-vo-frnt49_200724771756.jpg
Aug 19 12 06:46 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Random Shutter Clicks
Posts: 4,114
PORTER CORNERS, New York, US


What "look" do you mean?
Aug 19 12 06:51 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Joey B Studio
Posts: 3
Covington, Georgia, US


The color in the photo. Is there a particular action i have to use?
Aug 19 12 06:55 pm  Link  Quote 
Retoucher
Peano
Posts: 4,106
Lynchburg, Virginia, US


I think the main color adjustment is something like this.

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/4487/blue2r.jpg
Aug 19 12 07:10 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Ken Marcus Studios
Posts: 8,470
Los Angeles, California, US


Lighting !
Aug 19 12 07:15 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Carlos Ignacio M
Posts: 21
Houston, Texas, US


Either a 20 inch reflector or beauty dish as a key, main light. There should not be a fill light or reflector lighting up the shadows on the opposite side. The model should be at a distance from the backdrop so there is no spill. Flags must be used so the background lighting does not spill on to the model.
Aug 19 12 07:25 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
William Kious
Posts: 8,841
Delphos, Ohio, US


First, you need Adele, a stellar hair stylist and an uber MUA.

Then, some paper for your backdrop.

This looks like it might have been a single, large softbox high and to the right (photographer's right.) Some bounce for fill. Expose as necessary.

In post, retouch any blemishes, etc. Perhaps a bit of liquefy to bring her waist in (there's no way that corset was slimming her quite that much.) A bit of carving, etc.

Finally, a curve layer to boost the blues in the shadows.
Aug 19 12 07:29 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
M Pandolfo Photography
Posts: 12,116
Tampa, Florida, US


Carlos Ignacio M wrote:
Either a 20 inch reflector or beauty dish as a key, main light. There should not be a fill light or reflector lighting up the shadows on the opposite side. The model should be at a distance from the backdrop so there is no spill. Flags must be used so the background lighting does not spill on to the model.

I could be wrong but I think the OP doesn't want to know about lighting. Ewww. He wants to know how he can recreate it in Photoshop. I think CS7 will have an Instagram filter which will please so many.

I didn't even know this was "a look." I just thought it was a little heavy toward the blue range.

Aug 19 12 07:30 pm  Link  Quote 
Retoucher
Peano
Posts: 4,106
Lynchburg, Virginia, US


To unpack the color, check RGB values in the highlights, midtones, and shadows. It seems to be pretty straightforward:

- Highlights are neutral: 242.242.242

- Midtones (assuming the background was neutral) are high in blue: 122.124.132

- Shadows are even higher in blue: 2.4.30

These are consistent with pulling the shadow end of the blue curve upward, as I noted earlier.

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/4861/rgbeb.jpg
Aug 19 12 07:58 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Joey B Studio
Posts: 3
Covington, Georgia, US


thanks everyone for the feedback! will try out some of your suggestions.
Aug 19 12 09:57 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Charlie-CNP
Posts: 2,644
New York, New York, US


I know you want to do this in post, but Ken is spot on with his comment of lighting. Keep things simple and shoot it in camera vs. having to rely on post. You can get this with the right experience lighting your subject, and then set your camera WB to around 4200k and adjust to your desired taste to get the blue tones. It will save you hours of wasted work flow in post trying to create a "look" that can be shot in a quarter of the time from the get go. Good luck
Aug 19 12 10:04 pm  Link  Quote 
Retoucher
Peano
Posts: 4,106
Lynchburg, Virginia, US


Charlie-CNP wrote:
I know you want to do this in post, but Ken is spot on with his comment of lighting. Keep things simple and shoot it in camera vs. having to rely on post. You can get this with the right experience lighting your subject, and then set your camera WB to around 4200k and adjust to your desired taste to get the blue tones. It will save you hours of wasted work flow in post trying to create a "look" that can be shot in a quarter of the time from the get go. Good luck

Two points:

1. The OP specifically asked how to get the effect in post. Explaining how to do it in the studio doesn't address his question.

2. It doesn't require "hours" of work in post; more like a few seconds. If the picture has already been shot it's hardly "wasted" work to take a few seconds to add a blue cast to the shadows and midtones.

Aug 19 12 11:14 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Rich Burroughs
Posts: 3,259
Portland, Oregon, US


Charlie-CNP wrote:
I know you want to do this in post, but Ken is spot on with his comment of lighting. Keep things simple and shoot it in camera vs. having to rely on post. You can get this with the right experience lighting your subject, and then set your camera WB to around 4200k and adjust to your desired taste to get the blue tones. It will save you hours of wasted work flow in post trying to create a "look" that can be shot in a quarter of the time from the get go. Good luck

If the blue came from the lighting, wouldn't the highlights be more blue too?

Changing the color temperature of the light doesn't seem to me like it would achieve the same things that you can do with things like split toning or messing with the color curves. Which people do a lot in post.

Aug 19 12 11:34 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Neil Snape
Posts: 9,468
Paris, Île-de-France, France


If it is just about the color or color grading to steal motion picture terms, you can do this in Photoshop or LR or most other raw developers.

As stated above take the blue channel end point and set it to higher than 0. Then play in the other channels, until you have the contrast brightness you are looking for.

It is her though that makes the picture stunning, the technique by itself is yawn.

I use this technique when the picture is less than stellar to make it that way, and because so many people are doing the same.

For a few images just to stay trendy it's okay, but not more.

Here is one done that way yet outdoors.

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120627/12/4feb5a2c07f7e_m.jpg
Aug 19 12 11:45 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Oscar Partida
Posts: 732
San Diego, California, US


i agree with Peano and Neil Snape,pull the blue channel
Aug 20 12 12:52 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
The Full Frame
Posts: 121
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom


Peano wrote:
To unpack the color, check RGB values in the highlights, midtones, and shadows. It seems to be pretty straightforward:

- Highlights are neutral: 242.242.242

- Midtones (assuming the background was neutral) are high in blue: 122.124.132

- Shadows are even higher in blue: 2.4.30

These are consistent with pulling the shadow end of the blue curve upward, as I noted earlier.

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/4861/rgbeb.jpg

Peano, you should have a standard template you can cut and paste for the number of times you've explained this lol  you are a persistent helper. smile

M,

Aug 20 12 06:08 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
WIP
Posts: 15,425
Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom


Carlos Ignacio M wrote:
Either a 20 inch reflector or beauty dish as a key, main light. There should not be a fill light or reflector lighting up the shadows on the opposite side. The model should be at a distance from the backdrop so there is no spill. Flags must be used so the background lighting does not spill on to the model.

Short light.

Aug 21 12 04:37 am  Link  Quote 
Retoucher
Peano
Posts: 4,106
Lynchburg, Virginia, US


The Full Frame wrote:
Peano, you should have a standard template you can cut and paste for the number of times you've explained this lol

I do! smile But in this case I needed to show the values for this particular image. Otherwise, I just paste in the links to the other cross-processing posts.

Aug 21 12 05:03 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Hairflicksmodelphotog
Posts: 1,330
Huddersfield, England, United Kingdom


William Kious wrote:
*snip*
. Perhaps a bit of liquefy to bring her waist in (there's no way that corset was slimming her quite that much.) A bit of carving, etc.

We cant even see her waist! She looks about normal to me.

Aug 21 12 10:37 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
NothingIsRealButTheGirl
Posts: 33,198
Los Angeles, California, US


Hairflicksmodelphotog wrote:

We cant even see her waist! She looks about normal to me.

Sure you can. Look at the original post.

Aug 21 12 11:12 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
_volt_
Posts: 4
Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines


Neil Snape wrote:
Here is one done that way yet outdoors.

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120627/12/4feb5a2c07f7e_m.jpg

hi neil, i get that you boost the blue channel in the shadow areas- but how do you bring back the skin color to rich brown to golden? sometimes i see cross-processed photos like this with green/cyanish tint, i still am wondering how you guys do that. smile

Oct 14 12 03:28 pm  Link  Quote 
Retoucher
Peano
Posts: 4,106
Lynchburg, Virginia, US


_volt_ wrote:
hi neil, i get that you boost the blue channel in the shadow areas- but how do you bring back the skin color to rich brown to golden?

Layer mask.

Oct 14 12 08:25 pm  Link  Quote 
Retoucher
CS Toledo
Posts: 418
Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines


_volt_ wrote:

hi neil, i get that you boost the blue channel in the shadow areas- but how do you bring back the skin color to rich brown to golden? sometimes i see cross-processed photos like this with green/cyanish tint, i still am wondering how you guys do that. smile

Maybe you can try tweaking the dark tones via Selective Color by lowering the Yellow values under Colors>Blacks? You would probably want to mess with Colors>Neutrals a little bit too... but just add salt and pepper to taste.

Oct 14 12 08:49 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Honey Stinger
Posts: 6,347
Madison, Wisconsin, US


Ken Marcus Studios wrote:
Lighting !

Is that all? Are you sure about that, Ken?

Oct 14 12 08:58 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Dan OMell
Posts: 1,335
Ufa, Bashkortostan, Russia


the post-processing question was cleared up in 1001st time

this is the video of the session:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qwKJwttqW8
some of the lights definitely has a blue gel (not in this particular frame),
but it does not mean the final image wasn't tweaked some more in the post

she looks much skinnier in the photo
Oct 14 12 10:45 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
_volt_
Posts: 4
Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines


Dan OMell wrote:
the post-processing question was cleared up in 1001st time

this is the video of the session:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qwKJwttqW8

she looks much skinnier in the photo

Dan, the video looks color graded too. 

So, there really isn't a general curve tweak to do the color shift (eg cyan sky) whilst making the model's skin color reasonable?

Thanks for answering guys.

Oct 15 12 12:23 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Dan OMell
Posts: 1,335
Ufa, Bashkortostan, Russia


_volt_ wrote:
So, there really isn't a general curve tweak to do the color shift (eg cyan sky) whilst making the model's skin color reasonable?

it depends on how dramatic your tweaking is, probably. to keep the skin tones reasonable, you always can use masking, after all

personally, I prefer a hand tool in the curves adjustment layer using one of the 3 color channels individually. it is much more precise, and you can always adjust skin tones later, after tweaking some other areas, for example shadows. etc.
very powerful thing.

was lazy to capture  my own snapshots and found the generic one for the combined RGB:
http://laurashoe.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/ps-tat-curves1.jpg

Oct 15 12 12:59 pm  Link  Quote 
Retoucher
Megan E Griscom
Posts: 444
Bordentown, New Jersey, US


Peano wrote:
To unpack the color, check RGB values in the highlights, midtones, and shadows. It seems to be pretty straightforward:

- Highlights are neutral: 242.242.242

- Midtones (assuming the background was neutral) are high in blue: 122.124.132

- Shadows are even higher in blue: 2.4.30

These are consistent with pulling the shadow end of the blue curve upward, as I noted earlier.

Can you tell me on what tool can you adjust the midtones, etc. I added a color balance layer but that wasnt it. Im still learning Photoshop and there always seems to something I cant figure out. Your profile said to email you but I couldnt find your email listed. You can email me at mixed-media@live.com if you wouldnt mind.

Thanks!

Nov 16 12 05:53 pm  Link  Quote 
Retoucher
Peano
Posts: 4,106
Lynchburg, Virginia, US


Megan E Griscom wrote:
Can you tell me on what tool can you adjust the midtones, etc.

Try curves. Use the targeted adjustment tool for the midtones.

EDIT: I doubt if you even need that. In the original target image, the color adjustment was probably as simple as this:

http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/5995/bluen.jpg

Nov 16 12 07:00 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Gulag
Posts: 1,235
Duluth, Georgia, US


Megan E Griscom wrote:
Can you tell me on what tool can you adjust the midtones, etc. I added a color balance layer but that wasnt it.

using a midtone mask can help.

Nov 16 12 07:02 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Eridu
Posts: 623
Boston, Massachusetts, US


Michael Pandolfo wrote:

I could be wrong but I think the OP doesn't want to know about lighting. Ewww. He wants to know how he can recreate it in Photoshop. I think CS7 will have an Instagram filter which will please so many.

I didn't even know this was "a look." I just thought it was a little heavy toward the blue range.

That^^^

Nov 16 12 08:09 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Paul Ferradas
Posts: 110
San Francisco, California, US


Cool topic... Thanks for your info Peano. One question I have is not the color but the actual shot itself. As you know digital cameras can be tack sharp but if you notice this image there's a certain degrade to it. I can't quiet spell it out but it's looks rather soft, or is it grain? Almost looks scanned, blurred, faded? Just by adjusting color you won't get this LOOK? What else is going on to the image?
Nov 19 12 05:34 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Paul Ferradas
Posts: 110
San Francisco, California, US


And not being able to subscribe to this post unless I pay is BS!
Nov 19 12 05:37 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
richy01
Posts: 153
Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands


Paul Ferradas wrote:
And not being able to subscribe to this post unless I pay is BS!

Just save it as a bookmark...

Nov 20 12 05:11 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Daniele Burza
Posts: 18
Milan, Lombardy, Italy


am i wrong, or is denoised "more than a bit" (with a later add % virtual noise for a bit of depth)? i ask this, because it's the only thing i know to render a picture more cgish-cartoonish-painterly-putyourpreferrednamehere, beside a little help with dnb and tonemapping can give.
Dec 10 12 02:57 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Daniele Burza
Posts: 18
Milan, Lombardy, Italy


Paul Ferradas wrote:
Cool topic... Thanks for your info Peano. One question I have is not the color but the actual shot itself. As you know digital cameras can be tack sharp but if you notice this image there's a certain degrade to it. I can't quiet spell it out but it's looks rather soft, or is it grain? Almost looks scanned, blurred, faded? Just by adjusting color you won't get this LOOK? What else is going on to the image?

that's what i think and sai in the previous comment, i think it's fully denoised, so what do you think?

Dec 11 12 04:01 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Andrew Rafalsky
Posts: 1
Kiev, Kiev, Ukraine


On this particular image the most part of color correction was certainly done during post production, and Peano gave a fairly clear explanation of how to do it.

As for the softness, the shooting was done using a medium format camera, it has a little bit different picture; maybe a soft filter was used, but I'm pretty sure It's just a good post production work.
Dec 11 12 01:58 pm  Link  Quote 
Retoucher
Megan E Griscom
Posts: 444
Bordentown, New Jersey, US


I've been playing around with several images since this post was placed, trying to achieve the color. I chose an image with a nuetral background, a model with similar coloring, etc.

Bringing the blue end of the curve help didnt achieve anything close to the vogue look. It just made everything blue.

When you say 'unpack color' what do you mean? or colors>nuetrals? waht does that mean. The values noted from peanos post where are they found at?
Jan 07 13 11:48 am  Link  Quote 
Retoucher
Peano
Posts: 4,106
Lynchburg, Virginia, US


Megan E Griscom wrote:
When you say 'unpack color' what do you mean?

Measure the RGB values for the darkest shadows, the midtones, and the brightest highlights.

or colors>nuetrals? waht does that mean.

It means the RGB values are equal. R = G = B. Doesn't matter what the numbers are. If they're the same, that's a neutral tone. They all live along the left edge of the color picker:

http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af171/retouch46/Forums/neutral_zps03840d9a.gif

The values noted from peanos post where are they found at?

In the Info panel. You can just hover over an area with any tool, and the Info panel will show the RGB values. Or you can place sample points, and each one will have a fixed readout in the Info panel.

Jan 07 13 12:05 pm  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply