login info join!
Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Just a MUA or Hair and MUA Search   Reply
Makeup Artist
So Cal Girl Make Up
Posts: 14
San Diego, California, US


So I'm a free lance MUA that just does make up.

Last night I was invited to a meet and greet of some local photographers, MUAs and models. It ended up being mostly photographers, but at one point there was myself and another MUA.

This other MUA also did hair...she actually was a Hairstylist who ventured into Make up. and thus does both.

After she found out I didn't do hair, she stopped talking to me all together at the gathering.

Anyone else who does just make up run into this?

I have had the opportunity to work with other MUA's that do both hair and make up and they have been friendly and have complimented my work.  I never looked at them as competition, but more skilled colleagues.

But it still hits a raw spot for me..anyone else in the same boat? Or have similar experiences?
Sep 12 12 11:43 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Visuelle Artistry
Posts: 364
Lewisville, Texas, US


Yup I know where your coming from ... but in my market most photographers and even productions will expect you to do both... and its usually just some lite styling which I have learned to do. 

The exception for me is bridal hair which I refuse to do ... because I don't want to ruin someone's wedding day or if its for portfolio pics I insist that they get a hair stylist ... because I know my limits.
Sep 12 12 02:25 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
ArtistryImage
Posts: 2,756
Washington, District of Columbia, US


So Cal Girl Make Up wrote:
After she found out I didn't do hair, she stopped talking to me all together at the gathering.

yep, some talent will seem friendly i.e. have a very pleasant facade and probe till they find a weakness... then they move on knowing now they can effectively compete... even though it was a meet/greet it is after all a excellent marketing opportunity... the marketplace is very crowed...  it is a rather serious business venture for some... keep in mind a cosmetologist has a HUGE investment becoming licensed... over 1500 hours of academic work, which is not free and they need to realize a return on their investment...

games people play... wise to learn them early on to increase your odds in the marketplace...

when probed by a competitor my standard foil is "why do you ask" which effectively puts the ball back across the net...   a.k.a. to a lunge, parry but do take care with a counter-riposte... there is indeed set etiquette...

“And may the odds be ever in your favor.”

Sep 12 12 02:37 pm  Link  Quote 
Hair Stylist
A J T
Posts: 3,113
Brooklyn, New York, US


Well, her behavior is just silly. It's a totally irrelevant reason for being rude to someone.
Sep 14 12 05:26 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Makeup Artist
Mary
Posts: 7,157
Coronado, California, US


So Cal Girl Make Up wrote:
So I'm a free lance MUA that just does make up.

Last night I was invited to a meet and greet of some local photographers, MUAs and models. It ended up being mostly photographers, but at one point there was myself and another MUA.

This other MUA also did hair...she actually was a Hairstylist who ventured into Make up. and thus does both.

After she found out I didn't do hair, she stopped talking to me all together at the gathering.

Anyone else who does just make up run into this?

I have had the opportunity to work with other MUA's that do both hair and make up and they have been friendly and have complimented my work.  I never looked at them as competition, but more skilled colleagues.

But it still hits a raw spot for me..anyone else in the same boat? Or have similar experiences?

So you were chatting...She walked away and you assumed it was because you didn't do hair?  could there been another reason? like her drink cup was empty? just asking....

And I am in San Diego... You really have to do both hair and makeup in this market... unless you're doing just brides and special occasion makeup.  Local clients won't hire separate makeup and hair people...even in LA most artists do makeup and hair. Simple hair, not cutting and chemicals, but onset styling is what most working artists do in Southern Ca .   Again, I am not sure why she stopped talking to you but when I walk away at a gathering like this it's normally because I'm trying to talk to everyone and I can't do that if I stay in one place long......or I have an empty cup...it's not something personal at all.

Sep 14 12 10:43 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Oscar Partida
Posts: 732
San Diego, California, US


this days a lot of photographers want to take control of the whole concept and i will like to be part of that trend
i am learning to do make up and hair right now
Sep 14 12 10:50 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Makeup Artist
Mary
Posts: 7,157
Coronado, California, US


Oscar Partida wrote:
this days a lot of photographers want to take control of the whole concept and i will like to be part of that trend
i am learning to do make up and hair right now

That might be ok when you testing but I've never heard of a paying client (unless the client is a model)  hire on person to do all of this....   For one, it takes eyes looking for lighting issues, posing issues, stray hair issues, clothing issues and makeup issues...One person can't look at all of those things going on at one time.   

There are 2 makeup/ Hair people in San Diegothat are now doing photography.... and they do it all, but just for model portfolio shoots where people don't want to pay  a crew... These artists are pretty good at photography actually, the work they're doing matches most here in town doing portfolio work for a living.

Sep 15 12 12:31 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
So Cal Girl Make Up
Posts: 14
San Diego, California, US


ArtistryImage wrote:

yep, some talent will seem friendly i.e. have a very pleasant facade and probe till they find a weakness... then they move on knowing now they can effectively compete... even though it was a meet/greet it is after all a excellent marketing opportunity... the marketplace is very crowed...  it is a rather serious business venture for some... keep in mind a cosmetologist has a HUGE investment becoming licensed... over 1500 hours of academic work, which is not free and they need to realize a return on their investment...

games people play... wise to learn them early on to increase your odds in the marketplace...

when probed by a competitor my standard foil is "why do you ask" which effectively puts the ball back across the net...   a.k.a. to a lunge, parry but do take care with a counter-riposte... there is indeed set etiquette...

“And may the odds be ever in your favor.”

Very true. And i understand the feeling of competition..but I guess the way I look at things with someone just having more skills at their craft that I would love to learn eventually is pretty naive.

Thanks for the advice though I do appreciate it!

Sep 25 12 11:38 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
MisterMakeupArtist
Posts: 16
Dallas, Texas, US


On commercial jobs I will maintain and lightly style, but I expect talent to come with hair done. I will basically smooth and keep fly aways at bay. In creative shoots, I flat out do not to do hair. I don't invest in being a hair artist, I don't promote myself as such. If they want unique and interesting hair- the director needs to find someone to do it. With specialty hair, I don't have time to do creative makeup and completely tackle hair. If they want good work, hire a specialist for both in my opinion. I have never had an issue with this. Besides, I don't know many shoots that want to sit around and wait for me to finish makeup and then finish hair. It doubles wait times.
Sep 25 12 02:03 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Heather J M
Posts: 718
London, England, United Kingdom


I do both. It doesn't double wait times, although it often shaves it as I can set hair, then do makeup, then dress hair (if thats suitable for the look). I like being in control of the whole hair/makeup look although I have occasionally been hired purely to do one aspect. More often though, I am hired to do both. I am fully trained in both and would quite like MM to allow me to have both in my title. C'est la vie.

Regarding OP, I agree with Mary. There is a high chance that it was nothing to do with your lack of hair skills that she didn't talk more.
Sep 25 12 05:01 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Makeup Hair by Dani B
Posts: 746
Los Angeles, California, US


I do both, but only if required; I'm stronger in makeup and always turn down jobs that require extensive, complicated hairdressing. I don't enjoy hair, I love makeup. Wigs, on the other hand....

Doing all but the most complicated hair in addition to makeup has definitely increased the work I've gotten over the years.
Sep 25 12 05:15 pm  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply