login info join!
Forums > Model Colloquy > Nude models - a question Search   Reply
first12
Model
Rachael Bueckert
Posts: 1,120
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada


Art of the nude wrote:

The OP is in Australia, that may be different, although it's hard to say.  Last I heard small breasted women weren't allowed to do nudity in Australia at all (child pornography, and I have no idea whether the OP is "small breasted", it's a general comment.)

Are you serious? Shame on you Australia for saying all women with small breasts are not even women at all sad

Sep 24 12 09:06 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Wysiwyg Photography
Posts: 6,282
Salt Lake City, Utah, US


CamiAnn wrote:
I get what you are saying...but just knowing what I do about nudity in the states...no...Julia Roberts was not looked down upon for playing a prostitute in that movie...body double or not...the body double did get paid pretty well for doing that...one of my good friends knows her....but Julia, herself, has never done a real "nude" role, has she?  Although many well-known and Oscar winning actresses do nude roles and are admired for it, they usually wait until they have established themselves in the acting world before taking on these roles...not always, but women like Halle Barry (nude in Monster Ball and won the Oscar)  Jody Foster (nude in several movies and another Oscar winner), etc. waited to do nudity until they were doing major roles...however, being that the OP is from Australia where nudity is more accepted it may be different.

All I was saying is that its up to her whether its worth her time, effort and probably very little pay (if its the same pay as non-SAG actors in the US) and that she will be seen by millions of viewers and its not a photo on MM.  Just things to consider...at least for me.   Personally, I would make sure its well worth my time and effort and is a show that is well respected. But you probably won't be "discovered" because of it...at least here in the states...I admit I don't know Australian television, so ultimately its her decision...I just wanted to give her some information to consider...that's all.

p.s. If in it for a SAG card...here is some information about that: 

"The simplest way is the most difficult: Land a principle role on a union television show or film. Just about any speaking part will do. The problem of course is that most casting directors will select talent from actors who already belong to the union. This doesn't make it impossible, but it certainly makes it extremely unlikely. (Unless you have an uncle who is a big-shot Hollywood producer. In which case, why are you reading this, go to your uncle's mansion and ask to star in his next film.)

Extra Work:

Working as an extra (or "background artist") is not the most spectacular end of the thespian's spectrum. However, it does provide a slight chance of getting into the Screen Actor's Guild.

The Screen Actor's Guild specifies that all union productions must hire a certain amount of SAG Members as background actors. For example, during a film shoot, a union production must hire at least 50 SAG members as background.

What happens if a only 49 SAG members show up? That means one lucky non-union actor will receive a voucher. They will be paid union scale for that day. Best of all, if a non-union actor earns three vouchers, they are then qualified to join the Screen Actors Guild.

I've known some people who have worked as extras for years, and have yet to receive a single voucher."

Maybe its important to the OP, maybe its not...again, ultimately its up to her and what her goals are.

I think we are both in accordance here but just arguing different sides of the same coin as it were.

As far as Julia Robers having been nude before... I am not sure, I wasn't really talking so much about nudity as so much as the part she was choosing to play at first.

And I wasn't suggesting that she would be "discovered" if she did take the part.

Personally, I have never done Movies or TV, but I have done quite few stage plays and musicals, and I just simply enjoy them and payment is VERY MUCH secondary.
(probably not the same thing, but I'm sure there are "extras" out there that just like to be a part of something bigger then they are.. whether nudity is involved or not.)

But all in all, I do agree with you, again, I think we were just arguing semantics.

Sep 24 12 10:34 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
CamiAnn
Posts: 794
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


AJScalzitti wrote:

Wrong country mate wink

And the same for CamiAnn

I did mention this: "however, being that the OP is from Australia where nudity is more accepted it may be different."

I'm not from Australia, so you are correct and I admitted that I wasn't sure of what they allow as far as nudity in that country.  Point taken.

Sep 24 12 10:41 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
SeaSaltStudios
Posts: 124
Stanwell Park, New South Wales, Australia


My advice..  don't try method acting! :-)
Sep 24 12 11:13 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
GoldieImages
Posts: 127
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia


Sounds like you've been offered a bit part in the next Underbelly series? If so, it would look good on your resume if your intention is to do more acting roles. It would also be a great opportunity to network and hopefully impress the right people.
Sep 25 12 02:06 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jirrupin
Posts: 1,742
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia


Rachael Bueckert wrote:

Are you serious? Shame on you Australia for saying all women with small breasts are not even women at all sad

sadly he was serious, if its still around i think its more an issue with print though. Heard about it in a doco a while back but I never worked out if this about state laws or self imposed standards from the industry

Sep 25 12 02:53 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Harold Rose
Posts: 2,925
Calhoun, Georgia, US


Kelly Kooper wrote:
Hi ladies,

I need your help!

Nude models - if you got an offer to appear as an extra in a popular TV series as a nude prostitute, would you do it?

I don't know any more than that at this stage so that's all the information I have....

Your thoughts?

Kelly

You say "Popular TV series"    I see no reason why not..    This seems to be a public part.  and   I am sure it will be directed to be just   a  "TV roll or part"  Go for it!!

Sep 25 12 03:02 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Photographer
Rays Fine Art
Posts: 5,644
New York, New York, US


Kelly Kooper wrote:
Oh I know, you all make valid points smile

My concern is more with what the people in my personal life would think.

I don't have a problem with it but I never have.

I guess what I'm really asking is how many of you wouldn't do something like this because you knew your family would object.

It's a very well known TV series with over a million viewers in its last series on one of the main channels.

There's nothing dodgy about it, it's through a well reputed agency.

Ah!  That's a different question altogether, for which there is no rational answer anyone other than yourself can give you.  You have to decide whose opinion of what you do is more important to you, yours or those of your significant others.  (And among those, which are the more important ones, because, rest assured, there will be differing opinions.) 

As far as your modeling and/or acting careers are concerned, it would probably have no impact at all.

IMHO, as always.

Sep 25 12 05:37 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
AJScalzitti
Posts: 11,550
Atlanta, Georgia, US


CamiAnn wrote:

I did mention this: "however, being that the OP is from Australia where nudity is more accepted it may be different."

I'm not from Australia, so you are correct and I admitted that I wasn't sure of what they allow as far as nudity in that country.  Point taken.

Noticed that part, I was also tallinn about SAG.  One of the things driving so much work outside the US actaully.  It why we see so much shot in Canada and elsewhere these days, that and relate unions are driving production costs very high.  Imangine the overhead to track and mail out an extras royality check, often for under a dollar.

Sep 25 12 05:44 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Ashes to Ashes
Posts: 3,784
Norway, Maine, US


Art of the nude wrote:

The OP is in Australia, that may be different, although it's hard to say.  Last I heard small breasted women weren't allowed to do nudity in Australia at all (child pornography, and I have no idea whether the OP is "small breasted", it's a general comment.)

seriously?

Sep 25 12 05:49 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Eclectic Vision
Posts: 8,141
Elberton, Georgia, US


Art of the nude wrote:

The OP is in Australia, that may be different, although it's hard to say.  Last I heard small breasted women weren't allowed to do nudity in Australia at all (child pornography, and I have no idea whether the OP is "small breasted", it's a general comment.)

hmm

What a weird rule. Plenty of grown women have small breasts. On the flip side there are girls as young as elementary school age that have large breasts.

Sep 25 12 06:00 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Eclectic Vision
Posts: 8,141
Elberton, Georgia, US


I know I'm responding from my photography page, but I am also a nude model and an actress.

I would do it. But I'm pretty sure everyone in my life already knows I model nude. It would not be a big deal to me. My family would be proud of me.
Sep 25 12 06:02 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Laura BrokenDoll
Posts: 3,546
Modena, Emilia-Romagna, Italy


Lynn Elizabeth wrote:
Yes. It's definitely a career booster.

+1 smile

Sep 25 12 01:13 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Julia Francesca
Posts: 2,304
Maumee, Ohio, US


Wysiwyg Photography wrote:

The funny thing is...  TV/Movie auditions are a bit different in the fact that you actually don't have to "prove yourself". Just show up... probably have a bikini shot with you and you are good to go.

I personally don't understand why they do it that way... I like to know what I"m "buying" before I commit... TV/Movies seem to be different for some reason.

hmmm, they probably just figure a girl wouldn't be in this business if their bod looked like crap.

Sep 25 12 01:57 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Wysiwyg Photography
Posts: 6,282
Salt Lake City, Utah, US


Caustic Disco wrote:

hmmm, they probably just figure a girl wouldn't be in this business if their bod looked like crap.

You would think that, but I have made that mistake before and figured "if they look good in a bikini, they must look good naked"...

Wrong.

So as a personal rule, I just don't take any chances anymore... I still get models every now and again when I cast that haven't done nudes before or refuse to proves a sample of what they look like... Meh.. apples and oranges I'm sure... I'm trying to create a look for a concept.. movies/TV, I think, just want nudity and it doesn't matter about the look at all. (just a guess).

Sep 25 12 02:53 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
shibaswindler
Posts: 205
Milton Keynes, England, United Kingdom


Yeah... as long as there's no pinky ring shot
Sep 25 12 03:00 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Photographer
GPS Studio Services
Posts: 33,463
San Francisco, California, US


I'm sorry, I don't even understand the question.  If you are an actress, then you act.  Indeed, you try to get as many roles as you can.  The more you get, the more you will get.  For the OP, you do nudes already, so I don't know the issue there.

I am remembered of a friend who used to live with Daryl Hannah.  He was a director at the time.  Daryl was offered the part in "Summer Lovers" and didn't want to take it because of the nudity.  He persuaded her to do it.  She didn't want to do "Reckless" because of the nudity.  He talked her into that as well.  Then came "Splash."  Roles got her roles got her roles.  Nudity had nothing to do with it, nor was the context of the part.

If you want to be an actress, then act.  When you become a star, you can start picking and choosing what you want to do.  Until then, get parts.  Without them you will just want to be an actress, you won't be one.
Sep 25 12 03:15 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Julia Francesca
Posts: 2,304
Maumee, Ohio, US


Wysiwyg Photography wrote:

You would think that, but I have made that mistake before and figured "if they look good in a bikini, they must look good naked"...

Wrong.

So as a personal rule, I just don't take any chances anymore... I still get models every now and again when I cast that haven't done nudes before or refuse to proves a sample of what they look like... Meh.. apples and oranges I'm sure... I'm trying to create a look for a concept.. movies/TV, I think, just want nudity and it doesn't matter about the look at all. (just a guess).

makes sense! i'd like to see what i was getting if i was hiring a naked body.

Sep 25 12 03:18 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Matt Knowles
Posts: 3,550
Ferndale, California, US


Art of the nude wrote:
The OP is in Australia, that may be different, although it's hard to say.  Last I heard small breasted women weren't allowed to do nudity in Australia at all (child pornography, and I have no idea whether the OP is "small breasted", it's a general comment.)

If there is really a law against "small breasted" women doing nudity in Australia, I'd love to see how that is written and enforced. Do they call up the itty bitty titty committee and have them take official measurements? How did they determine this magic cutoff point where breasts become adult sized and they are ok for public viewing?

edit: google provided this link http://theweek.com/article/index/105766 … breast-ban

Sep 25 12 03:26 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Photographer
GPS Studio Services
Posts: 33,463
San Francisco, California, US


Wysiwyg Photography wrote:
The funny thing is...  TV/Movie auditions are a bit different in the fact that you actually don't have to "prove yourself". Just show up... probably have a bikini shot with you and you are good to go.

I personally don't understand why they do it that way... I like to know what I"m "buying" before I commit... TV/Movies seem to be different for some reason.

Because that isn't the way it is at all.  Have you read a SAG contract?  Until a few years ago, the rule was you could ask an actor/actress to disrobe at an audition so long as you notified them in advance and they were permitted to bring a person of their choice.

A few years ago it was changed so that the only requirement is that the actor/actress be permitted to wear pasties and/or a g-string if they chose to.  My experience has been that few both with pasties, some wear g-strings.  The process is called a "body check."  We've been doing them for as long as I can remember.

Sep 25 12 03:38 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Virtual Studio
Posts: 5,036
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


1st Stop Photo wrote:
I don't think  they allow nudity on poular TV series. Check this offer out.

Ever seen Weeds? or Sons of Anarchy?

Sep 25 12 03:51 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Wysiwyg Photography
Posts: 6,282
Salt Lake City, Utah, US


ei Total Productions wrote:
Because that isn't the way it is at all.  Have you read a SAG contract?  Until a few years ago, the rule was you could ask an actor/actress to disrobe at an audition so long as you notified them in advance and they were permitted to bring a person of their choice.

A few years ago it was changed so that the only requirement is that the actor/actress be permitted to wear pasties and/or a g-string if they chose to.  My experience has been that few both with pasties, some wear g-strings.  The process is called a "body check."  We've been doing them for as long as I can remember.

So you are saying that a would be actor/actress can be asked to disrobe if given notice?

or are you saying it used to be that way but not anymore. (serious question, as I'm always looking to learn).

Also, Pasties and Thongs do not tell me what you look like naked, they tell me what you look like in pasties and thongs... anyway, As I said.. I'm probably arguing apples and oranges, I'm dependent on the look of said model for a given concept... I don't know if movies care to much about "look" as so much as "just a naked body".

Sep 25 12 06:55 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Photographer
GPS Studio Services
Posts: 33,463
San Francisco, California, US


ei Total Productions wrote:
Because that isn't the way it is at all.  Have you read a SAG contract?  Until a few years ago, the rule was you could ask an actor/actress to disrobe at an audition so long as you notified them in advance and they were permitted to bring a person of their choice.

A few years ago it was changed so that the only requirement is that the actor/actress be permitted to wear pasties and/or a g-string if they chose to.  My experience has been that few both with pasties, some wear g-strings.  The process is called a "body check."  We've been doing them for as long as I can remember.
Wysiwyg Photography wrote:
So you are saying that a would be actor/actress can be asked to disrobe if given notice?

or are you saying it used to be that way but not anymore. (serious question, as I'm always looking to learn).

Also, Pasties and Thongs do not tell me what you look like naked, they tell me what you look like in pasties and thongs... anyway, As I said.. I'm probably arguing apples and oranges, I'm dependent on the look of said model for a given concept... I don't know if movies care to much about "look" as so much as "just a naked body".

For the record, whenever possible, I too would want to see a model nude before I booked her.  To answer your question, with the old SAG contract you could ask to see an actress fully nude so long as you gave her warning.

In the current contract, you may ask to see them, but if they choose, they may wear pasties and a g-string.  I haven't had an actress wear pasties, a couple have worn thongs.  I am not sure what you want to see that you can't see in a thong.

The point is that, an actress who auditions for a role requiring nudity is probably, at some point, going to be asked to take off their clothes before they are cast.

Sep 25 12 07:20 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
S A L I N G E R
Posts: 570
Launceston, Tasmania, Australia


Are we talking the next series of Underbelly (or similar)? A network TV series is always good for your CV.

Go for it Kelly!
Sep 25 12 07:34 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Wysiwyg Photography
Posts: 6,282
Salt Lake City, Utah, US


ei Total Productions wrote:
Because that isn't the way it is at all.  Have you read a SAG contract?  Until a few years ago, the rule was you could ask an actor/actress to disrobe at an audition so long as you notified them in advance and they were permitted to bring a person of their choice.

A few years ago it was changed so that the only requirement is that the actor/actress be permitted to wear pasties and/or a g-string if they chose to.  My experience has been that few both with pasties, some wear g-strings.  The process is called a "body check."  We've been doing them for as long as I can remember.
Wysiwyg Photography wrote:
So you are saying that a would be actor/actress can be asked to disrobe if given notice?

or are you saying it used to be that way but not anymore. (serious question, as I'm always looking to learn).

Also, Pasties and Thongs do not tell me what you look like naked, they tell me what you look like in pasties and thongs... anyway, As I said.. I'm probably arguing apples and oranges, I'm dependent on the look of said model for a given concept... I don't know if movies care to much about "look" as so much as "just a naked body".
ei Total Productions wrote:
For the record, whenever possible, I too would want to see a model nude before I booked her.  To answer your question, with the old SAG contract you could ask to see an actress fully nude so long as you gave her warning.

In the current contract, you may ask to see them, but if they choose, they may wear pasties and a g-string.  I haven't had an actress wear pasties, a couple have worn thongs.  I am not sure what you want to see that you can't see in a thong.

The point is that, an actress who auditions for a role requiring nudity is probably, at some point, going to be asked to take off their clothes before they are cast.

Thanks smile
Very informative... though if it were me, If I was going to see them naked anyway, why would they use pasties and a thong?
It just sort of boggles the mind a little that they are trying out for a nude part but unwilling to be nude.. sort of silly if you see my side.

Anyway, thanks again.

Sep 25 12 07:38 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Photographer
GPS Studio Services
Posts: 33,463
San Francisco, California, US


Wysiwyg Photography wrote:
Thanks smile
Very informative... though if it were me, If I was going to see them naked anyway, why would they use pasties and a thong?
It just sort of boggles the mind a little that they are trying out for a nude part but unwilling to be nude.. sort of silly if you see my side.

Anyway, thanks again.

For SAG, it is a sexual harassment issue.  With the old rules, you had to give warning and allow an escort.  We all know how escorts work out.  The new rules, they are no longer entitled to the escort.  That was the compromise.

From a practical standpoint a lot of talent just gets naked.  They don't want to appear as if it bothers them. You just can't require them to get fully nude.

Your point is well taken though.

Sep 25 12 07:54 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
CRIMSON REIGN
Posts: 800
Baltimore, Maryland, US


Wysiwyg Photography wrote:
I know I"m not a model, but I have a question for you.

Would you consider Julia Roberts less of an actress for doing Pretty Woman?


I know she wasn't nude, but just like any shoot or movie... it's all acting.

It's really about what YOU are comfortable with... Some models will pose as a Nazi for a photo shoot, others won't, others it depends on the content. "the reason for being".


All I'm saying is, just because you play one on TV, (movies, ads, etc) doesn't mean you are actually a prostitute. smile

+1

Sep 25 12 07:56 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
MB Jen B
Posts: 2,459
Anchorage, Alaska, US


Kelly Kooper wrote:
Hi ladies,

I need your help!

Nude models - if you got an offer to appear as an extra in a popular TV series as a nude prostitute, would you do it?

I don't know any more than that at this stage so that's all the information I have....

Your thoughts?

Kelly

Hi,
What does this have to do with nude models specifically? Is it that you don't want a connectin of having acting on a popular t.v.series? Are you concerned that they won't hire you if they find our or are you concerned that artists won't want to hire you for having worked with t.v.?
Jen

Sep 26 12 08:08 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Peach Jones
Posts: 6,008
Champaign, Illinois, US


Kelly Kooper wrote:
Oh I know, you all make valid points smile

My concern is more with what the people in my personal life would think.

I don't have a problem with it but I never have.

I guess what I'm really asking is how many of you wouldn't do something like this because you knew your family would object.

It's a very well known TV series with over a million viewers in its last series on one of the main channels.

There's nothing dodgy about it, it's through a well reputed agency.

The family members who truly love you will still love you. They may be a bit peeved, but they'll get over it.  The thing is you can't go through life always wondering what someone else will think. You only have one life.....enjoy it and grab all the chances that come your way. This is one of those chances.

Sep 26 12 08:19 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
alessiman
Posts: 99
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia


If its Underbelly which I am sure it is

My friend has already been cast as an extra playing an Asian Hooker

Nudity in Australia, especially in quality drama like underbelly would be seen a smart career move

Unlike say being cast in Chances........ (Google it for the young ones!)
Sep 26 12 08:30 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Love_mya
Posts: 269
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia


Kelly Kooper wrote:

I'm a D cup smile Definitely not small breasted.

This TV series is a hard hitting crime show. It's been on TV for the past 4 years and involves violence, nudity and sex.

is this the underbelly?

Sep 27 12 04:30 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Kaley King
Posts: 1,027
Jefferson City, Missouri, US


It can depend on how the character is portrayed, and how acceptable that is in your country.

Everyone talks about Julia Roberts, but that was also a big holllywood movie...and her character I believe was portrayed as being her first time, and only being with Richard.  If she was shown as being this drugged out mega slut she may have reconsidered the role.

Not all acting parts help your career.
Sep 27 12 05:27 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Kaley King
Posts: 1,027
Jefferson City, Missouri, US


It can depend on how the character is portrayed, and how acceptable that is in your country.

Everyone talks about Julia Roberts, but that was also a big holllywood movie...and her character I believe was portrayed as being her first time, and only being with Richard.  If she was shown as being this drugged out mega slut she may have reconsidered the role.

Not all acting parts help your career.
Sep 27 12 05:27 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Greg Kolack
Posts: 17,564
Downers Grove, Illinois, US


1st Stop Photo wrote:
I don't think  they allow nudity on poular TV series. Check this offer out.

NYPD Blue did it all the time starting 20 years ago.

Sep 27 12 10:41 am  Link  Quote 
first12   Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers