login info join!
Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > possibly moving from Dallas to England Search   Reply
12last
Model
TiffanyDiane
Posts: 25
Dallas, Texas, US


What are the requirements of a 'beauty therapist' when transferring from US license to UK?  I've been doing hair for 3 years *as of the time of planned move*

Also, when i move, i want to start work asap. i was told in order to get a work visa I'd have to be sponsored. Was also told that this can be expensive for the employer. I know im not the only hairstylist to move from US to UK. Can someone please guide me as to how to do this whole thing?!

*side note* I'll be planning a trip in January just to get a feel for the place to make sure I like it before i move, being that Ive never been. Was hoping to ask around at a few salons.. good idea/bad idea?
Sep 26 12 06:28 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Amadea T
Posts: 3,345
Columbus, Ohio, US


What exactly is a beauty therapist?

And you can find your answers about visa and sponsorship here:

http://www.workpermit.com/uk/uk.htm
Sep 26 12 07:30 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
TiffanyDiane
Posts: 25
Dallas, Texas, US


I looked up How to transfer cosmetology license from US to UK, and someone said they call it beauty therapist there. Instead of cosmetologist or hairstylist.
Sep 26 12 09:45 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Heather J M
Posts: 715
London, England, United Kingdom


Yeah, we have beauty therapists, hair stylists and massage therapists. No cosmetologists or estheticians. And sadly for you, we have an abundance of beauty therapists already and few if any salons will be earning enough money to consider paying for you to come over from the USA. As well as all the UK beauty therapists they already have, we also have an open borders agreement with the European Union, so anyone from there can come and work here.

If you really want to come I suggest you look at student visas etc.
Sep 27 12 02:47 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
S W I N S K E Y
Posts: 24,315
Saint Petersburg, Florida, US


Great Britain:

bland people
bland food
bland weather

it's got to be better then dallas..

http://i.imgur.com/m8TQi.png
Sep 27 12 05:42 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Heather J M
Posts: 715
London, England, United Kingdom


S W I N S K E Y wrote:
Great Britain:

bland people
bland food
bland weather

it's got to be better then dallas..

And you've met all of us, eaten everything and stayed through a decade of seasons to have this well informed opinion?

Sep 27 12 06:54 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Caperucita Roja
Posts: 11,541
Plymouth, England, United Kingdom


Heather J M wrote:

And you've met all of us, eaten everything and stayed through a decade of seasons to have this well informed opinion?

+1

Sep 27 12 07:49 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Hugh Alison
Posts: 2,099
Aberystwyth, Wales, United Kingdom


S W I N S K E Y wrote:
Great Britain:

bland people
bland food
bland weather

it's got to be better then dallas..

Bland Food?

Starbucks?
KFC?
Burger King?
MacDonalds?
Beef raised knee deep in shit and full of hormones and antibiotics, contaminated by the occasional poor Mexican that loses a body part in the slaughterhouse...

"culture" = "yoghurt"

Oh sorry, I was thinking of somewhere else.


Bland enough for you?

Sep 27 12 08:05 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Simire MUA
Posts: 91
London, England, United Kingdom


S W I N S K E Y wrote:
Great Britain:

bland people
bland food
bland weather

it's got to be better then dallas..

Wow....considering this ignorant statement, it would be very easy to get caught up in a mud slinging battle at this point but ill refrain from this.

To the OP, ditto what Heather stated. Probably best to get a students visa and do a short course to supplement your existing credentials. Beauty therapists are aplenty over here. You could talk to BABTAC who are one of the main bodies responsible for insuring beauty related specialities. I wish you well and the best of British.

Sep 27 12 09:47 am  Link  Quote 
Model
TiffanyDiane
Posts: 25
Dallas, Texas, US


Would you say maybe move over there and work at something else besides hair? I want to be there for 3/6 months at first to make sure I really like it before looking into moveing permanently. Ive read probably every immagration page on the net about visas, and theyre all so confusing. I just dont know what to do to move there legally. Do you think big companies like Paul Mitchell could sponser someone?
Sep 27 12 11:49 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Heather J M
Posts: 715
London, England, United Kingdom


Only if you already work for them. In my experience of overseas friends, they have had a short working visa but have ultimately had to return home at the end of the period - usually no more than 3 years. Sponsorship is very unlikely in your field, you are too easily replaced. Sponsorship is more common in large companies that move staff from one territory to another, or for extremely hard to fill roles (NOT beauty - more beauty therapists than jobs here.)

If when you get here you find you like it, find a husband asap. Even if you marry for a visa you have to prove 2 years minimum relationship prior to being allowed the visa. They check very thoroughly. wink

Why did you want to move to England if you've never been here before?
Sep 27 12 12:30 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Richard Nolan
Posts: 113
London, England, United Kingdom


S W I N S K E Y wrote:
Great Britain:

bland people
bland food
bland weather

it's got to be better then dallas..

Mmmm. Be careful even if there was irony at the end of this statement.

Sep 27 12 12:36 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
TiffanyDiane
Posts: 25
Dallas, Texas, US


Heather J M wrote:
Only if you already work for them. In my experience of overseas friends, they have had a short working visa but have ultimately had to return home at the end of the period - usually no more than 3 years. Sponsorship is very unlikely in your field, you are too easily replaced. Sponsorship is more common in large companies that move staff from one territory to another, or for extremely hard to fill roles (NOT beauty - more beauty therapists than jobs here.)

If when you get here you find you like it, find a husband asap. Even if you marry for a visa you have to prove 2 years minimum relationship prior to being allowed the visa. They check very thoroughly. wink

Why did you want to move to England if you've never been here before?

This is one of the hardest things ever. Feel like ill have to give my first born to live there. Damn.


I want to live there because its always been a dream. Since i was little.

Sep 27 12 12:59 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
MrTim
Posts: 410
Norwich, England, United Kingdom


TiffanyDiane wrote:
This is one of the hardest things ever. Feel like ill have to give my first born to live there. Damn.


I want to live there because its always been a dream. Since i was little.

Same for us going the other way sad We could always try swapping identities. I'll need to get a wig from somewhere though...

Sep 27 12 01:29 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Heather J M
Posts: 715
London, England, United Kingdom


MrTim wrote:

Same for us going the other way sad We could always try swapping identities. I'll need to get a wig from somewhere though...

Or you two could get married and sit tight for 2 years.. Oh an MM wedding! I'll get a hat!

Sep 27 12 01:31 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
TiffanyDiane
Posts: 25
Dallas, Texas, US


Heather J M wrote:

Or you two could get married and sit tight for 2 years.. Oh an MM wedding! I'll get a hat!

hahaha thats cute! I'll totally swap identities. I just keep thinking, surely I'm not the only hairstylist in history, to move to UK and start working. I have a friend that said her friend moved there and started waiting tables. How did she do that? im so confused. I'm trying to make a list of people/places to visit for more info once I visit in Jan, but I'm drawing a blank as to whom to ask sad

Sep 27 12 01:50 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
toesup
Posts: 1,028
Templeton, California, US


TiffanyDiane wrote:
I'm trying to make a list of people/places to visit for more info once I visit in Jan, but I'm drawing a blank as to whom to ask sad

Try making a list of the bigger salon's etc in the towns / cities you will be visiting and go visit them and ask questions.. You might also want to visit college's that list your profession and ask them how you need to proceed with getting the UK qualifications you need..
They will more than likely tell you the same thing(s) you have been told on here, about trying to transfer over to GB and work / live there.. and how difficult it is..

By the way, I moved the other way.. for a lot of reasons... You will like GB as a place to visit, but you wont want to live there..

Sep 27 12 02:09 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
TiffanyDiane
Posts: 25
Dallas, Texas, US


toesup wrote:

Try making a list of the bigger salon's etc in the towns / cities you will be visiting and go visit them and ask questions.. You might also want to visit college's that list your profession and ask them how you need to proceed with getting the UK qualifications you need..
They will more than likely tell you the same thing(s) you have been told on here, about trying to transfer over to GB and work / live there.. and how difficult it is..

By the way, I moved the other way.. for a lot of reasons... You will like GB as a place to visit, but you wont want to live there..

I'm going in Jan just to check it out and make sure thats what I want. Its a big move. I need to be sure. I've emailed Taylor Taylor, HOB, RUSH, currently still looking. Know of any more?

Sep 27 12 04:59 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
JAW IMAGING
Posts: 40
Long Eaton, England, United Kingdom


Has nobody mentioned it yet, this Island is full...lol
Sep 27 12 05:06 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
TiffanyDiane
Posts: 25
Dallas, Texas, US


JAW IMAGING wrote:
Has nobody mentioned it yet, this Island is full...lol

One more cant hurt wink

Sep 27 12 10:24 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Rogue Images Cornwall
Posts: 75
Bodmin, England, United Kingdom


I wish you the best of luck, I love living in England. Great food, great views tongue If you know where to go! Let me know if you do make the move and i'll throw you a few places to visit down my way!
All the best,
Jade
Sep 29 12 06:41 am  Link  Quote 
Model
TiffanyDiane
Posts: 25
Dallas, Texas, US


JadeArmstrong wrote:
I wish you the best of luck, I love living in England. Great food, great views tongue If you know where to go! Let me know if you do make the move and i'll throw you a few places to visit down my way!
All the best,
Jade

Thank you. I actually got a reply from a salon, telling me THEY dont sponser but to send them my CV and they'll direct me to a salon that does! So keep your fingers crossed for me! Getting my airplane tix/ hotel next month for Jan! so excited!

Sep 29 12 07:33 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Dani Snow
Posts: 43
Los Angeles, California, US


I'm glad you posted this! I'm a MUA in the US also wanting badly to move to the UK. I understand it's a silly desire, never having visited.

I have done so much research on what London is like and how it compares to NYC (I lived there for a bit). I've also looked into the immigration process and the applying for work visas. It's very complicated. It looks as if it's possible to do, but you've got to have a lot of money.

I thought about applying for a BBC trainee scheme, but honestly my skill and portfolio aren't there yet and I don't have enough money to just move there.

I know a MUA who worked in NYC for a while, get with a makeup agency who sent her to London to work for a bit. So you might look at getting repped by an agency and if they ever get international work coming in.
Sep 29 12 10:32 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Heather J M
Posts: 715
London, England, United Kingdom


Dani Snow wrote:
I thought about applying for a BBC trainee scheme, but honestly my skill and portfolio aren't there yet and I don't have enough money to just move there.
BBC wrote:
Can I apply for BBC Trainee Schemes if I am not a UK resident?

You can apply if you have the right to work in the UK. However we will not be able to cover any travel or living expenses that you might incur.

You still need to sort your own visa, also the trainee schemes are not open to people with more than 18 months experience. Bummer. big_smile

Sep 30 12 07:09 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Dani Snow
Posts: 43
Los Angeles, California, US


Yeah Heather I read that on their site. It's like they want you to be a little experience, but not too much haha, less than 18 months of television experience, which I have none. I can't imagine that I'm more talented than any of the British MUA's applying so I just dream about it haha.
Sep 30 12 12:42 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Elizabethmakeup
Posts: 338
Hereford, England, United Kingdom


It is possible to get a visa without sponsorship from a company but everyone before me is right: beauty therapists are a dime a dozen plus we're in a recession and jobs are hard to come by for everyone. Also, beauty therapists don't need a licence to work in the UK so you may find that you don't get many points for that line of work.
Sep 30 12 01:03 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
TiffanyDiane
Posts: 25
Dallas, Texas, US


Elizabethmakeup wrote:
It is possible to get a visa without sponsorship from a company but everyone before me is right: beauty therapists are a dime a dozen plus we're in a recession and jobs are hard to come by for everyone. Also, beauty therapists don't need a licence to work in the UK so you may find that you don't get many points for that line of work.

What visa do you reccomend I try for? That is the most confusing part. And I had a salon say they were going to direct me to a salon that does sponsership. Hairstylist are a dime a dozen here too, but a good one is hard to come by wink

Sep 30 12 09:07 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Elizabethmakeup
Posts: 338
Hereford, England, United Kingdom


http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/

You can also go for a work-visa through a programme such as BUNAC.

Also a word of caution re sponsorship: I had a friend who went to work abroad and was sponsored by a company. They had to sponsor him for five years in order for him to qualify for residency, then six months before the end, they fired him and he had to return home.
Oct 01 12 09:30 am  Link  Quote 
Model
TiffanyDiane
Posts: 25
Dallas, Texas, US


I went there, which eventually led me to this. i think the "proving nobody in the uk can do the job, before being sponsored' has changed.


http://www.theskillsite.com/uk-immigrat … permit.htm
Oct 01 12 07:53 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Kelly Ager MakeupArtist
Posts: 138
Liverpool, England, United Kingdom


Whilst all you want to get over to the UK to live, I'm desperately trying to think of a way to get over to the USA to live! It seems its almost impossible to get to the US without actually marrying an American, maybe I should ditch my boyfriend and partner up with a (hot) American guy, dual citizenship would do me nicely! One must keep trying! smile
Oct 03 12 05:05 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Hugh Alison
Posts: 2,099
Aberystwyth, Wales, United Kingdom


Best way to come here is as a student - easy to get a student visa, not everyone who gets one actually does very much studying.

Great place to come to for a couple of years if you are an American.
Big decision to move permanently.
Oct 03 12 06:00 am  Link  Quote 
Model
TiffanyDiane
Posts: 25
Dallas, Texas, US


I have an interview when I visit smile))))

setting up more now!!!
Oct 03 12 08:00 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Dani Snow
Posts: 43
Los Angeles, California, US


Kelly Ager MUA wrote:
Whilst all you want to get over to the UK to live, I'm desperately trying to think of a way to get over to the USA to live! It seems its almost impossible to get to the US without actually marrying an American, maybe I should ditch my boyfriend and partner up with a (hot) American guy, dual citizenship would do me nicely! One must keep trying! smile

Ugh. Don't you wish our countries could just let us switch? How sad is it that you want to be here and I want to be there? Like a foreign-exchange student, but we're not students, and we want it to be pretty permanent.

Oct 03 12 09:57 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
TiffanyDiane
Posts: 25
Dallas, Texas, US


Dani Snow wrote:

Ugh. Don't you wish our countries could just let us switch? How sad is it that you want to be here and I want to be there? Like a foreign-exchange student, but we're not students, and we want it to be pretty permanent.

Agree with you totally!!!

Oct 04 12 11:06 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Victoria Howard
Posts: 420
London, England, United Kingdom


S W I N S K E Y wrote:
Great Britain:

bland people
bland food
bland weather

it's got to be better then dallas..

Just the same as America then.  May as well stay in the USA.

Oct 05 12 05:31 am  Link  Quote 
Model
TiffanyDiane
Posts: 25
Dallas, Texas, US


Victoria Howard wrote:

Just the same as America then.  May as well stay in the USA.

Hey I'm wanting out!! lol. Just need a sponsor

I've emailed several differnt places. Looking to interview at at least one place a day on my stay.

Oct 05 12 11:02 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Simire MUA
Posts: 91
London, England, United Kingdom


TiffanyDiane wrote:
I've emailed several differnt places. Looking to interview at at least one place a day on my stay.

By different places do you mean within and outside London? If so, that's a great approach. Try not to limit yourself to London. Well done for getting the interview. Fingers and toes crossed for you:-)

Oct 06 12 03:34 am  Link  Quote 
Model
TiffanyDiane
Posts: 25
Dallas, Texas, US


Simire MUA wrote:

By different places do you mean within and outside London? If so, that's a great approach. Try not to limit yourself to London. Well done for getting the interview. Fingers and toes crossed for you:-)

Several diff places meaning different salons. I have a question though, here each paycheck is taxed about 17%-18%, but we get paid every two weeks. What is the percent of tax for a middle class person in UK? I know you get paid sometimes only once a month. How much should I budget for taxes? I'm trying to see if this salon price list is enough to make money to pay bills/live on.

Oct 06 12 09:30 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Roro Fitria Amanda
Posts: 21
Adamsville, Alabama, US


JAW IMAGING wrote:
Has nobody mentioned it yet, this Island is full...lol

full of opportunities, I think. Hahah lol

Oct 07 12 12:08 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Simire MUA
Posts: 91
London, England, United Kingdom


TiffanyDiane wrote:
Several diff places meaning different salons. I have a question though, here each paycheck is taxed about 17%-18%, but we get paid every two weeks. What is the percent of tax for a middle class person in UK? I know you get paid sometimes only once a month. How much should I budget for taxes? I'm trying to see if this salon price list is enough to make money to pay bills/live on.

Tax rate over her really depends on your basic income and can vary depending on this from nothing to 50%. Have a look at this for further info on how it works http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/incometax/basics.htm#1

London can be extremely expensive as with most cities i guess. From my personal point of view, apart from budgeting for rent, utility bills(water, electric, phone, council tax- which varies wildly depending on your location band, groceries) and the exhorbitant public transport and/ or petrol/diesel, you'll be very lucky to squeeze any savings from that. I am lucky enough to be paid 'London weighting' in addition to my basic pay. This takes into account the additional costs faced with living in London. Not all employers pay or care about this, but you could ask about this very diplomatocally and AFTER you have been offered the job. There are
very cheap places to stay in London but cheaper might not necessarily equate to safer. This is why i suggested applying outside London also. Safety is relative i know, and i suppose crime exists everywhere one goes to but realistically our great metropolis can be http://assets.modelmayhem.com/images/smilies/scary.pngeven during the day in certain areas as observed by my German friend who recently relocated here and is living in Stockwell with her boyfriend to save money.
Having said that there are other cities with similar expensive rates in the uk, but having worked outside most of my life it just equates to less money or better facilities(accomodation
space, utility bills etc) for what you are paying.

I really would advice a lot of additional research to what you are currently doing. It is great to carry out a trial run......january right? Brrrrrr! Don't forget your wooly hat and socks during this time.
Sorry about the length of this, i was going to type some more but  i had better stop now
before i bore you silly.

Oct 07 12 12:33 am  Link  Quote 
12last   Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers