login info join!
Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Excellent fantasy movies - your favorites? Search   Reply
12last
Photographer
SME
Posts: 20,702
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US


(Inspired by Compass Rose's Fantasy Book thread, here.)

What are your favorites?  For the sake of discussion, we can be really broad with the definition of fantasy. 

With The Hobbit coming out soon, I'm in the mood for lots of good fantasy!  I'd love rental suggestions.
Oct 04 12 08:06 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jacob Davis
Posts: 841
Boulder, Colorado, US


Ever watch the old animated Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit?
Oct 04 12 08:12 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Christopher Hartman
Posts: 53,245
Buena Park, California, US


Sita Mae wrote:
(Inspired by Compass Rose's Fantasy Book thread, here.)

What are your favorites?  For the sake of discussion, we can be really broad with the definition of fantasy. 

With The Hobbit coming out soon, I'm in the mood for lots of good fantasy!  I'd love rental suggestions.

I'm always in the mood to watch any of the Lord of the Rings.  particularly the extended edition.

Oct 04 12 08:14 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Vintagevista
Posts: 10,348
Sun City, California, US


I'm a sap

But even if "The Princess Bride" is 25 years old - it's still worth revisiting

The original "Shrek"
Oct 04 12 08:18 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
SME
Posts: 20,702
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US


Jacob Davis wrote:
Ever watch the old animated Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit?

I haven't!  I don't think I even remembered that they existed.

Oct 04 12 08:19 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
SME
Posts: 20,702
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US


Christopher Hartman wrote:

I'm always in the mood to watch any of the Lord of the Rings.  particularly the extended edition.

They are awesome, no doubt.  I'm just interested in expanding my fantasy movie horizons a bit.  smile

Oct 04 12 08:20 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
SME
Posts: 20,702
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US


Vintagevista wrote:
I'm a sap

But even if "The Princess Bride" is 25 years old - it's still worth revisiting

The original "Shrek"

The Princess Bride will always be relevant.  Such a good movie!

I relate so much to Shrek.  Hahaha...

Oct 04 12 08:20 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jacob Davis
Posts: 841
Boulder, Colorado, US


Sita Mae wrote:
I haven't!  I don't think I even remembered that they existed.

Quick warning about the animated Lord of the Rings.

Oct 04 12 08:22 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jacob Davis
Posts: 841
Boulder, Colorado, US


Oh! Legend

eta: the IMDB page links to Willow too, another great fantasy movie
Oct 04 12 08:24 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Brian Diaz
Posts: 61,692
Danbury, Connecticut, US


I wish Ralph Bakshi had finished his Lord of the Rings.
Oct 04 12 08:24 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
SME
Posts: 20,702
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US


Jacob Davis wrote:
Oh! Legend

eta: the IMDB page links to Willow too, another great fantasy movie

I forgot about Legend.  I never did see it!  Is it good?  I have trouble imagining Tom Cruise in a fantasy story.  He seems so very contemporary.

Oct 04 12 08:26 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Brian Diaz
Posts: 61,692
Danbury, Connecticut, US


I'm working on Game of Thrones, which isn't a movie, but it's better than almost any other non-LOTR fantasy movie yet made.
Oct 04 12 08:26 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jacob Davis
Posts: 841
Boulder, Colorado, US


Sita Mae wrote:
I forgot about Legend.  I never did see it!  Is it good?  I have trouble imagining Tom Cruise in a fantasy story.  He seems so very contemporary.

I think it's good in spite of Tom Cruise. Tim Curry is really what makes the movie shine.

Oct 04 12 08:27 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
SME
Posts: 20,702
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US


Brian Diaz wrote:
I'm working on Game of Thrones, which isn't a movie, but it's better than almost any other non-LOTR fantasy movie yet made.

So...so...so good!  I hope it runs for 15 years!  hahaha

Oct 04 12 08:33 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
SME
Posts: 20,702
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US


Jacob Davis wrote:

I think it's good in spite of Tom Cruise. Tim Curry is really what makes the movie shine.

Ohhhh, I totally missed that Tim Curry's in it!  I'm sold.  smile  Thanks for the suggestion!

Oct 04 12 08:34 am  Link  Quote 
Model
DivaEroticus
Posts: 13,965
Fayetteville, Arkansas, US


Jacob Davis wrote:

I think it's good in spite of Tom Cruise. Tim Curry is really what makes the movie shine.

Speaking of Tim Curry...RHPS!

And Lord of the Rings, and Chronicles of Narnia.

Witches of Eastwick, Big, Barbarella, Jason and the Argonauts, any of the Sinbad movies, and Monty Python's Holy Grail....and others.

Oct 04 12 09:02 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Brian Diaz
Posts: 61,692
Danbury, Connecticut, US


Sita Mae wrote:

So...so...so good!  I hope it runs for 15 years!  hahaha

The only problem is that I can't hear her say anything but:

http://stimulatedboredom.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/ermahgerd_dragons_Khaleesi_game_of_thrones.jpg

Oct 04 12 09:05 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
SME
Posts: 20,702
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US


I am laughing so hard right now.  OMG.
Oct 04 12 09:07 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Timm
Posts: 2,672
Kenosha, Wisconsin, US


An oldie but goodie . . .

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Hy3AZJ4NL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Oct 04 12 09:10 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Christopher Hartman
Posts: 53,245
Buena Park, California, US


Vintagevista wrote:
I'm a sap

But even if "The Princess Bride" is 25 years old - it's still worth revisiting

The original "Shrek"

Princess Bride is releasing on Blu-Ray to celebrate 25 years. I may just pick it up. smile

Oct 04 12 09:14 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Christopher Hartman
Posts: 53,245
Buena Park, California, US


Jacob Davis wrote:
Oh! Legend

eta: the IMDB page links to Willow too, another great fantasy movie

I enjoyed Legend!!  And Ladyhawke was a fun movie!!

Oct 04 12 09:15 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Christopher Hartman
Posts: 53,245
Buena Park, California, US


Sita Mae wrote:

I forgot about Legend.  I never did see it!  Is it good?  I have trouble imagining Tom Cruise in a fantasy story.  He seems so very contemporary.

For me, it's the Devil...or whoever he was.  Just wicked!! Loved it!

Oct 04 12 09:16 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Christopher Hartman
Posts: 53,245
Buena Park, California, US


Brian Diaz wrote:
I'm working on Game of Thrones, which isn't a movie, but it's better than almost any other non-LOTR fantasy movie yet made.

i still have season one on Blu-Ray...I need to start watching it. Bought it last June!!

Oct 04 12 09:16 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jacob Davis
Posts: 841
Boulder, Colorado, US


Classic Conan the Barbarian. I haven't seen the new one.

And, Red Sonja, if you want to go heavy on the cheese factor.
Oct 04 12 09:17 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Looknsee Photography
Posts: 20,457
Portland, Oregon, US


A couple of Terry Gilliam (I think) movies:
   The Fifth Element
   The Adventures of Baron Munchhausen
I like them before the "worlds" are so thoroughly created & well layered along with some well defined characters and a little gratuitous nudity of some lovely well known women.

On a similar vein, some other movies:
   Blade Runner
   The Chronicles of Riddick
Oct 04 12 09:18 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
SME
Posts: 20,702
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US


Jacob Davis wrote:
Classic Conan the Barbarian. I haven't seen the new one.

And, Red Sonja, if you want to go heavy on the cheese factor.

I think Xena was the best television series ever made, so...yeah.  I can roll with the cheese.  big_smile

Oct 04 12 09:19 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
SME
Posts: 20,702
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US


Looknsee Photography wrote:
A couple of Terry Gilliam (I think) movies:
   The Fifth Element
   The Adventures of Baron Munchhausen
I like them before the "worlds" are so thoroughly created & well layered.

On a similar vein, some other movies:
   Blade Runner
   The Chronicles of Riddick

Good suggestions!  I liked all of those.  I haven't seen Fifth Element in awhile.  Maybe it's time to watch it again.

Oct 04 12 09:19 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jacob Davis
Posts: 841
Boulder, Colorado, US


Oh! Rein of Fire was fun. Modern-day dracocalypse!

And, if you're needing more dragons, Dragon Wars.
Oct 04 12 09:23 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Compass Rose Studios
Posts: 15,921
Portland, Oregon, US


Granted, this was pre-lotr, but I remember enjoying the hell out of Dragonslayer.

I adore Princess Bride, Shrek, Harry Potter movies.   

Pan's Labyrinth hasn't been mentioned. I thought that was very good. 

City of Lost Children.

I enjoyed Jackson's King Kong. 

The Brotherhood of the Wolf.  (who can't resist a French mystery, kung-fu, costume drama, conspiracy theory, monster movie?)
Oct 04 12 09:27 am  Link  Quote 
Model
DivaEroticus
Posts: 13,965
Fayetteville, Arkansas, US


Timm wrote:
An oldie but goodie . . .

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Hy3AZJ4NL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

How did I totally forget this one??

Oct 04 12 09:47 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DOUGLASFOTOS
Posts: 7,622
Los Angeles, California, US


Looknsee Photography wrote:
A couple of Terry Gilliam (I think) movies:
   The Fifth Element
   The Adventures of Baron Munchhausen
I like them before the "worlds" are so thoroughly created & well layered along with some well defined characters and a little gratuitous nudity of some lovely well known women.

On a similar vein, some other movies:
   Blade Runner
   The Chronicles of Riddick

Terry Gilliam had zero to do with The Fifth Element....Written and Directed by Luc Besson.

Oct 04 12 09:51 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DOUGLASFOTOS
Posts: 7,622
Los Angeles, California, US


Steven Spielberg's A.I.   A Flawed Masterpiece.
Oct 04 12 09:58 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Affinity Finch
Posts: 652
Bodmin, England, United Kingdom


What about Willow! I watched that years ago with my Dad. I brought an old VCR just to watch that film cause I couldn't find it on DVD!
Oct 04 12 10:03 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Affinity Finch
Posts: 652
Bodmin, England, United Kingdom


DOUGLASFOTOS wrote:
Steven Spielberg's A.I.   A Flawed Masterpiece.

YES I like Bicentenial Man too played by Robin Williams!

Oct 04 12 10:03 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DOUGLASFOTOS
Posts: 7,622
Los Angeles, California, US


Jade Honey wrote:

YES I like Bicentenial Man too played by Robin Williams!

Bicentenial Man was written by Isaac Asimov in 1976

Super-Toys Last All Summer Long was written by Brian Aldiss in 1969, which A.I. is based on....Damn that internet comes in handy!!!

Oct 04 12 10:12 am  Link  Quote 
Wardrobe Stylist
Pretty Deadly Stylz
Posts: 559
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


There are bunch of my favorites listed already, but for the more kid fantasy;

Dark Crystal: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083791/
The Labyrinth: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091369/
The NeverEnding Story: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088323/

Oh puppets in movies, awesome. wink

* Also Legend is the one movie I constantly have to repurchase, I keep loaning it out and NEVER getting it back. Its really that worth it though.
Oct 04 12 10:22 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Damon Banner
Posts: 85,066
Hayward, California, US


Princess Bride
Amelie
Oct 04 12 10:32 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Moriah Allende
Posts: 14,170
Columbus, Ohio, US


Gattaca
Harry Potter
The Orphanage
Pan's Labyrinth
Labyrinth
Curse of The Golden Flower
Robin Hood: Men in Tights
The Princess Bride
House of Flying Daggers
The Banquet
War of the Arrows
Red Cliff (international four + hour version, not the U.S. release that was cut nearly in half)

Some are more historical than complete fantasy, but eeeh.
Oct 04 12 11:18 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Affinity Finch
Posts: 652
Bodmin, England, United Kingdom


Isabel Allende wrote:
Gattaca
Harry Potter
The Orphanage
Pan's Labyrinth
Labyrinth
Curse of The Golden Flower
Robin Hood: Men in Tights
The Princess Bride
House of Flying Daggers
The Banquet
War of the Arrows
Red Cliff (international four + hour version, not the U.S. release that was cut nearly in half)

Some are more historical than complete fantasy, but eeeh.

Pan's Labrynth!

Oct 05 12 08:28 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Phantasy Photo
Posts: 448
Maryville, Tennessee, US


The Neverending Story.  More of a children's movie, but pretty well done.
Oct 05 12 09:20 am  Link  Quote 
12last   Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers