login info join!
Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > SF2: Ess Effin Two > Coyote Procedure Search   Reply
Model
Solacium
Posts: 9,640
Charleston, South Carolina, US


Apparently my dog didn't get the memo that at 2:30 AM, coyote procedure is RUN AWAY and not GO SAY HI.

I was walking him because I need to leave at 3:15 AM for my flight and dam there were a bunch of them howling really close- it was loud. So I kept to big roads and away from the wash and had a bright flashlight.

But on our way home one was crossing the street we *had* to go down to get home. Luckily I convinced my dog we needed to calmly go down another street until it was gone.

OMG.
Oct 05 12 02:46 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Done and Gone
Posts: 7,650
Chiredzi, Masvingo, Zimbabwe


We have them up here in great abundance. A lone coyote is not much to worry about but a pack of them is a predatory machine of great magnificence.

They chase deer out into the golf course and then run them down on a regular basis.

Mostly, they eat mice. Lots of tender, juicy mice.

Good call on keeping your dog away!!!
Oct 05 12 05:00 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jerry Nemeth
Posts: 26,745
Dearborn, Michigan, US


Michael L. wrote:
We have them up here in great abundance. A lone coyote is not much to worry about but a pack of them is a predatory machine of great magnificence.

They chase deer out into the golf course and then run them down on a regular basis.

Mostly, they eat mice. Lots of tender, juicy mice.

Good call on keeping your dog away!!!

My brother heard them taking down a deer in northern Michigan.
If I ever saw them I would shoot.

Oct 05 12 06:57 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
David Weiss
Posts: 7,130
Oshkosh, Wisconsin, US


They're shoot on sight here in WI.

Locally, one farmer nailed 68 of them last year between Appleton and Green Bay.
Oct 05 12 07:31 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
A M Johnson
Posts: 8,024
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


I thought this thread was going to be about the proper way to chew your own arm off.
Oct 05 12 07:33 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Tore
Posts: 13,706
Stamford, Connecticut, US


My niece just had one in her yard with a broken leg.
Oct 05 12 08:28 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Frank Lewis Photography
Posts: 12,246
Winter Park, Florida, US


Our last trip to Arizona, my wife and I drove Route 66 from Seligman to Kingman. The only wild animal we saw was a lone coyote crossing the RR tracks just east of Kingman.

Just so ya know, that part of the Mother Road is very boring...
Oct 05 12 08:37 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Solacium
Posts: 9,640
Charleston, South Carolina, US


Michael L. wrote:
We have them up here in great abundance. A lone coyote is not much to worry about but a pack of them is a predatory machine of great magnificence.

They chase deer out into the golf course and then run them down on a regular basis.

Mostly, they eat mice. Lots of tender, juicy mice.

Good call on keeping your dog away!!!

What worried me was that I could many of them all close by. The rest were likely just out of sight across some dense brush!

Also, my dog is bi enough to possibly seem like a threat but very submissive... It would have been bad.

Oct 05 12 09:24 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Solacium
Posts: 9,640
Charleston, South Carolina, US


Jerry Nemeth wrote:

My brother heard them taking down a deer in northern Michigan.
If I ever saw them I would shoot.

unfortunately that would likely get me arrested for shooting within city limits.

Oct 05 12 09:25 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Caradoc
Posts: 19,484
Scottsdale, Arizona, US


Solacium wrote:
unfortunately that would likely get me arrested for shooting within city limits.

Not in Tucson, it wouldn't. Not if it were approaching you.

Oct 05 12 10:37 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Sha-Lynne
Posts: 22,680
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


Heh reminds me of Falcor...a dog 5x his size will be barking at him and foaming at the mouth, he'll go up to him and roll over.  He's "pretty".
Oct 05 12 03:30 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Ronin_LLC
Posts: 2,012
Louisville, Kentucky, US


First of all the Coyote Procedure, is not RUN. Its; Shoot coyote, bury dead coyote.

Second; WTF were you not carrying a gun?
Oct 05 12 05:06 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Wildcat Photography
Posts: 1,486
Valparaiso, Indiana, US


A M Johnson wrote:
I thought this thread was going to be about the proper way to chew your own arm off.

+1

Oct 05 12 05:59 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Kitty LaRose
Posts: 12,707
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


yikes Holy cow. You are so much braver than I! I'd have turned tail and called someone in a panic.
Oct 06 12 02:16 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jim Shibley
Posts: 2,799
Phoenix, Arizona, US


http://www.azgfd.gov/w_c/urban_coyote.shtml

Take a soda can, add pebbles, & shake to scare them away from you & your dog.

Or pepper spray.
Oct 06 12 07:29 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
MesmerEyes Photography
Posts: 2,788
Tyler, Texas, US


A M Johnson wrote:
I thought this thread was going to be about the proper way to chew your own arm off.

+2

Ronin_LLC wrote:
First of all the Coyote Procedure, is not RUN. Its; Shoot coyote, bury dead coyote.

Second; WTF were you not carrying a gun?

+1

Oct 06 12 08:28 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Little Queenie
Posts: 6,213
Indio, California, US


Frank Lewis Photography wrote:
Our last trip to Arizona, my wife and I drove Route 66 from Seligman to Kingman. The only wild animal we saw was a lone coyote crossing the RR tracks just east of Kingman.

Just so ya know, that part of the Mother Road is very boring...

My parents live in Kingman. They get coyotes every once in a while. More cattle than anything.

Oct 06 12 09:21 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Cosplay Creatives
Posts: 10,714
Amundsen-Scott - permanent station of the US, Unclaimed Sector, Antarctica


Ronin_LLC wrote:
First of all the Coyote Procedure, is not RUN. Its; Shoot coyote, bury dead coyote.

Second; WTF were you not carrying a gun?

Not everyone in AZ owns or carries a gun.  Even I don't.

Oct 06 12 10:13 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jirrupin
Posts: 1,742
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia


in LA I used to hike in Griffith Park at night a lot, initially with the sierra club, then after a while on my own, plenty of Coyotes but only ever saw singles or pairs for the longest time which never worried me.. then early one evening I spotted a pack of close to twenty of them right down near the road behind the golf course.. that kinda changed my attitude in a big way, always carried pepper spray after that
Oct 08 12 12:36 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Solacium
Posts: 9,640
Charleston, South Carolina, US


Gryph wrote:

Not everyone in AZ owns or carries a gun.  Even I don't.

I'm not practiced enough to feel I can safely and responsibly carry a gun. I assume I'd possibly have to use it if I decided to carry and it's my responsibility to make sure I could do so well.

So no, no gun. But I Do worry more now hmm

Oct 08 12 03:49 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Solacium
Posts: 9,640
Charleston, South Carolina, US


Jirrupin wrote:
in LA I used to hike in Griffith Park at night a lot, initially with the sierra club, then after a while on my own, plenty of Coyotes but only ever saw singles or pairs for the longest time which never worried me.. then early one evening I spotted a pack of close to twenty of them right down near the road behind the golf course.. that kinda changed my attitude in a big way, always carried pepper spray after that

I would like some pepper spray.

Oct 08 12 03:50 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jirrupin
Posts: 1,742
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia


Solacium wrote:

I would like some pepper spray.

i think its pretty easy to get almost anywhere in the US, i found mine at Fryes electronics in Burbank of all places???

if it ever comes down to it, don't be trying to spray the coyote, just spray a little on your legs. I tested this once when I had a couple showing some interest in me, got upwind of them and spayed it on my boots, they couldn't get away fast enough. At the end of the day Coyotes are scrawny scavengers by nature, if there had been wolves or mountain lions in the park I would never of hiked alone, and would be wanting a gun, but if it weren't for Rabies i'd rarely give coyotes a second thought.

Oct 08 12 03:19 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jerry Nemeth
Posts: 26,745
Dearborn, Michigan, US


Gryph wrote:

Not everyone in AZ owns or carries a gun.  Even I don't.

Coyotes killed a hiker in eastern Canada a couple of years ago.

Oct 08 12 05:20 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
hygvhgvkhy
Posts: 2,092
Chicago, Illinois, US


A M Johnson wrote:
I thought this thread was going to be about the proper way to chew your own arm off.

Lmao! Me too!(-:

Oct 08 12 05:22 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
hygvhgvkhy
Posts: 2,092
Chicago, Illinois, US


Jerry Nemeth wrote:

Coyotes killed a hiker in eastern Canada a couple of years ago.

A lone hiker in Canada... C'mon. That's exactly like the coyotes here.

Idk about where you live but coyotes in a generally populated area are like zero threat to people. They're usually pushed off to a small amount of territory and only wander our way on their own every once in awhile.

They don't often go after big dogs alone either.

In a pack, I'd find a tree. But I pray you'd have a gun.

Remember to check the size of the coyote if you're ever in a bad situation with your dog. (If he's hungry, he will eat)

I've met too many coyotes:/  They have cute babies though tongue

Oct 08 12 05:33 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
PhotographybyT
Posts: 7,596
Monterey, California, US


I imagined this was going to be about how younger chicks prowl for older men! big_smile
Oct 08 12 05:49 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Caradoc
Posts: 19,484
Scottsdale, Arizona, US


Presley ONeil wrote:
In a pack, I'd find a tree.

I've never tried climbing a tree carrying a dog, but I'm reasonably certain it's not easy.

I'd rather have a can of bear spray or a gun.

Oct 08 12 05:51 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jerry Nemeth
Posts: 26,745
Dearborn, Michigan, US


Presley ONeil wrote:

A lone hiker in Canada... C'mon. That's exactly like the coyotes here.

Idk about where you live but coyotes in a generally populated area are like zero threat to people. They're usually pushed off to a small amount of territory and only wander our way on their own every once in awhile.

They don't often go after big dogs alone either.

In a pack, I'd find a tree. But I pray you'd have a gun.

Remember to check the size of the coyote if you're ever in a bad situation with your dog. (If he's hungry, he will eat)

I've met too many coyotes:/  They have cute babies though tongue

I camp in a heavily wooded area in northern Michigan on my property.  They have killed deer in the area.  They are dangerous if they are in a pack.  There are also bear in the area.

Oct 08 12 05:53 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Little Queenie
Posts: 6,213
Indio, California, US


You don't necessarily have to shoot or maim a coyote to make it run away. A lot of humane organizations suggest using loud objects to scare them off such as a tin coffee can filled with pennies. Loud noises will scare them.
Oct 08 12 06:09 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Caradoc
Posts: 19,484
Scottsdale, Arizona, US


Little Queenie wrote:
A lot of humane organizations suggest using loud objects to scare them off such as a tin coffee can filled with pennies. Loud noises will scare them.

A few years ago, I overnighted in the Estrella Mountain Park near Phoenix.

They've got coyotes out there that won't run away even if pegged in the head with a 2" rock. Loud noises seem to pique their curiosity.

Oct 08 12 06:45 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
hygvhgvkhy
Posts: 2,092
Chicago, Illinois, US


Caradoc wrote:

I've never tried climbing a tree carrying a dog, but I'm reasonably certain it's not easy.

I'd rather have a can of bear spray or a gun.

That's why I prayed you'd have a gun, I have a yorkie(:

Oct 08 12 06:57 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Koryn
Posts: 35,650
Asheville, North Carolina, US


Coyotes are one of my favorite wild animals.

We had a lot of them in western NC, enough to hear packs of them at night (especially in spring 2006), and to see them regularly turned into roadkill.

I occasionally encountered solo coyotes while camping; they just ran off. Seemed pretty shy. I'm sure a whole pack that was hungry could do some damage, in certain situations, but I think people are often scared of them more so than is really necessary.
Oct 08 12 07:24 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Henna N.
Posts: 3,446
Gaithersburg, Maryland, US


ShivaKitty wrote:
I occasionally encountered solo coyotes while camping; they just ran off. Seemed pretty shy. I'm sure a whole pack that was hungry could do some damage, in certain situations, but I think people are often scared of them more so than is really necessary.

Exactly.

People hear stories about how coyotes killed someone somewhere, and all of a sudden, they are Public Enemy #1.  When in reality, you are 10x as more likely to die on your drive into work than you are from a coyote attack.

I'm not saying to not be prepared if you are out in the wilderness, away from civilization and more likely to run into a pack or something. But seriously, people are way too frightened of them.

Oct 08 12 07:32 pm  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers