login info join!
Forums > General Industry > the best way to sell clothing Search   Reply
Photographer
dave phoenix
Posts: 1,257
Phoenix, Arizona, US


i've noticed something here, that i think is particularly funny.

models will sell clothing in the "mm marketplace" section... and how do they choose to display the items? by laying the pieces flat on the ground, or on their beds, and taking a picture with a camera phone or point and shoot camera.

for some reason, it seems to me that models should realize that putting clothes on a good-looking model is a good way to sell clothing.

am i the only one who thinks that's strange?
Oct 08 12 04:23 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Paolo Diavolo
Posts: 8,146
Pleasant Hill, California, US


dave phoenix wrote:
for some reason, it seems to me that models should realize that putting clothes on a good-looking model is a good way to sell clothing.

am i the only one who thinks that's strange?

Now that you point it out, that is pretty funny!
I guess in their defense, they are talent not marketing, tongue

Oct 08 12 04:36 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
immateria
Posts: 15,446
Brooklyn, New York, US


Paolo Diavolo wrote:

Now that you point it out, that is pretty funny!
I guess in their defense, they are talent not marketing, tongue

Internet models have to market themselves quite a bit to get work.

I solve this issue by not owning clothes.

Oct 08 12 06:46 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
dave phoenix
Posts: 1,257
Phoenix, Arizona, US


especially when it comes to glamour models selling bras and panties - i mean, wouldn't you think they could sell those items for 10x the amount they're asking, by selling the outfit with a signed 8x10 of them wearing it?
Oct 08 12 06:49 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Dannielle Levan
Posts: 12,857
New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada


dave phoenix wrote:
i've noticed something here, that i think is particularly funny.

models will sell clothing in the "mm marketplace" section... and how do they choose to display the items? by laying the pieces flat on the ground, or on their beds, and taking a picture with a camera phone or point and shoot camera.

for some reason, it seems to me that models should realize that putting clothes on a good-looking model is a good way to sell clothing.

am i the only one who thinks that's strange?

Hah! That's an excellent point actually...

Oct 08 12 06:52 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Ester Ginzbur
Posts: 128
Edison, New Jersey, US


I've noticed this too. So many models say they want to be in fashion.... and yet they won't snap a shot of them in their clothing!
Oct 08 12 06:55 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Laurence Moan
Posts: 7,663
Huntington Beach, California, US


http://www.modelmayhem.com/shop/MMWear

The MM clothing line. You think they could find some models? They did get a dog.
Oct 08 12 06:58 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Isis22
Posts: 2,267
Muncie, Indiana, US


It's hard to take pics of yourself wearing clothing. Believe me I have tried. I sell clothes(and other things) on Ebay. I try to hang them up but, yes, sometimes flat is best. If I had a mannequin I would be in heaven!
Oct 08 12 07:03 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
R80
Posts: 2,567
Marceline, Missouri, US


You're pretty sharp to notice that.  The odd thing is, this IS a modeling site.  One would think modeling her own clothes would be the first thing someone on here would think about.  They'd have the clothes and the exposure of how well they model.
Oct 09 12 12:39 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Melissa Drew
Posts: 189
Oceanside, California, US


I definitely agree-- but personally, most of the stuff that I sell on here is stuff that doesn't fit me.
Oct 09 12 01:16 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Julia Francesca
Posts: 2,357
Maumee, Ohio, US


dave phoenix wrote:
i've noticed something here, that i think is particularly funny.

models will sell clothing in the "mm marketplace" section... and how do they choose to display the items? by laying the pieces flat on the ground, or on their beds, and taking a picture with a camera phone or point and shoot camera.

for some reason, it seems to me that models should realize that putting clothes on a good-looking model is a good way to sell clothing.

am i the only one who thinks that's strange?

NO!! i'm setting up to sell all my crap and i thought the same exact thing!! i'd sooner buy something if i actually see it on someone then on the floor. otherwise i think about how ugly their carpet is or something else unrelated to me buying that item ever.

Oct 09 12 05:04 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
V Laroche
Posts: 2,745
New Orleans, Louisiana, US


It's somewhat hard to photograph yourself and I feel too self conscious to ask one of my friends to photograph me wearing 30 skimpy things. I have been asking photographers to give me a shot or two of the wardrobe items I want to sell. I now have... four photos. At this rate, it will only take 7 more years to get enough pics of my crap.
Oct 10 12 07:07 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jerry Nemeth
Posts: 26,744
Dearborn, Michigan, US


V Laroche wrote:
It's somewhat hard to photograph yourself and I feel too self conscious to ask one of my friends to photograph me wearing 30 skimpy things. I have been asking photographers to give me a shot or two of the wardrobe items I want to sell. I now have... four photos. At this rate, it will only take 7 more years to get enough pics of my crap.

Models do have a lot of crap!  I have been with models as they pick through their lingerie looking for a certain piece.   smile

Oct 10 12 07:12 am  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers