login info join!
Forums > Model Colloquy > Alternative modeling companies Search   Reply
Photographer
Isaiah Brink
Posts: 1,994
Charlotte, North Carolina, US


Ok, so, after a recent experience working with a couple of models from an alternative modeling company, I wanted to see if my experience was the norm or not normal compared to those who chose to respond to this post.  So, what are everybody's thoughts on alternative modeling agencies/sites/whatever you want to call them, like SG, GG, DHD?
Oct 11 12 07:17 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Paige Morgan
Posts: 4,058
New York, New York, US


None of those are agencies and they don't vouch/vet their girls like an agency would. Each specific model is going to be a different experience in terms of skills/professionalism.
Oct 11 12 07:43 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Isaiah Brink
Posts: 1,994
Charlotte, North Carolina, US


Paige Morgan wrote:
None of those are agencies and they don't vouch/vet their girls like an agency would. Each specific model is going to be a different experience in terms of skills/professionalism.

So very true.  A legit agency is the best way to go for legit models, and that's kind of why I used several terms on how to describe them.

Oct 11 12 09:18 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Paige Morgan
Posts: 4,058
New York, New York, US


Isaiah Brink wrote:
So very true.  A legit agency is the best way to go for legit models, and that's kind of why I used several terms on how to describe them.

No, what I'm saying is...none of those sites are agencies at all, ever. The word "agency" does not apply in this case.

If you want to shoot with one of their models, you'll most likely have to contact the girl directly just like you would here on Mayhem or her personal website. SG/GG will not relay the message or arrange the details as they don't act as bookers.

The only time SG or GG really get involved with any of the details of their site model's bookings is if the set is being shot specifically for that website, and even then it would probably be little more that a list of tech specs/requirements for the set to be accepted/usable for them, or if the planned shoot violates their non compete clause.

So there's really no general statement to be made about models from a specific site, as they're all basically independent contractors.

The best feedback you'll likely get is on the terms for photographers submitting sets specifically for that website's use, and if that was a good/bad deal.

Oct 11 12 12:05 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Isaiah Brink
Posts: 1,994
Charlotte, North Carolina, US


Paige Morgan wrote:

No, what I'm saying is...none of those sites are agencies at all, ever. The word "agency" does not apply in this case.

If you want to shoot with one of their models, you'll most likely have to contact the girl directly just like you would here on Mayhem or her personal website. SG/GG will not relay the message or arrange the details as they don't act as bookers.

The only time SG or GG really get involved with any of the details of their site model's bookings is if the set is being shot specifically for that website, and even then it would probably be little more that a list of tech specs/requirements for the set to be accepted/usable for them, or if the planned shoot violates their non compete clause.

So there's really no general statement to be made about models from a specific site, as they're all basically independent contractors.

The best feedback you'll likely get is on the terms for photographers submitting sets specifically for that website's use, and if that was a good/bad deal.

Um, yes, a legit agency as in not sg, gg, or dhd.  Yes, I know what a legit agency is like Ford, Whilemina, etc.

Oct 12 12 06:22 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
R O S E S M O D E L S
Posts: 23
Antelope, California, US


Alternative models are clearly the ways of the future,
Oct 12 12 11:16 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Mange Vorhees
Posts: 5
New Haven, Connecticut, US


Paige Morgan:
  This was good to read, and should probably be included in a sticky or something for "alt" models.  I've seen a ton of thread on contacting agents, but few replies that distinguish the criteria for an official agency.
Jan 30 13 04:01 pm  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers