login info join!
Forums > General Industry > Unprofessional Photographer Search   Reply
first12
Photographer
Image K
Posts: 23,363
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


JennyFromTheBlock1 wrote:

THANK YOU!!

Sure.

Trust your instincts, and you will be fine.

The photographer was probably just trying to get a feel of the potential passion/intensity level of a girl-girl collaboration.

Oct 15 12 02:28 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
JennyFromTheBlock1
Posts: 25
Kansas City, Missouri, US


Orca Bay Images wrote:

Vincent explained his method to the madness. Some photographers really want to know if there'll be no spark in a couples shoot. So for some photographers, it is common.

If you're going to get upset over that kind of query, you'd do well to uncheck Erotic and Fetish from your profile's preferred genres list.

Understood.

Oct 15 12 02:32 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Photographer
GPS Studio Services
Posts: 34,444
San Francisco, California, US


Orca Bay Images wrote:
Vincent explained his method to the madness. Some photographers really want to know if there'll be no spark in a couples shoot. So for some photographers, it is common.

If you're going to get upset over that kind of query, you'd do well to uncheck Erotic and Fetish from your profile's preferred genres list.
JennyFromTheBlock1 wrote:
Understood.

I am going to try to expound on this.  Listen to what is being asked of you and just put it in context.  I have, very rarely asked about sexual orientation.  I don't generally find the question to be appropriate.  If a model is willing to do a sexually suggestive, girl/girl photo, and she tells me she is comfortable with it, that is all I need to know.  A model, should be able to get into character.

That having been said, just because I wouldn't ask the question, doesn't mean that someone else would not.  I have forty years of experience.  Not everybody does.  They simply may want to get the feel for the situation.

On the other hand, I have asked girls very innocuous things and it has rubbed them the wrong way.  So you, and only you, can put what is being said into context.  The important thing is to not over-react.

If a photographer drops his pants, asks you to have sex or asks to smell your panties, it is time to turn around and walk out the door.  With lesser things, listen carefully and think about the point of the question.  If it is one question out of a long discussion, you have a different situation than many questions that are pushing boundaries.

In the end, if you are uncomfortable, you still may decide that this person isn't right for you to work with.  Even then though, you have to think carefully, is it your inexperience or his misconduct?

So my advice, follow your instincts.  Just do it with an open mind.  Don't be too thin skinned, but also don't be afraid to leave if it really just feels wrong.  These things are never black and white.

Oct 15 12 02:40 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Paige Morgan
Posts: 4,058
New York, New York, US


Are the questions directly relevant to the shoot? When discussing limits/boundaries and content levels you are willing to shoot, it may require some somewhat personal questions (e.g. Is a sheep top/slight nipple visibility okay? If you do not shoot nudes are you comfortable with implied? Are you comfortable posing with another model in ~insert example here~ context? What size ~article of clothing~ do you wear?)

If you feel you are being asked things that are outside the realm of the job at hand (Are you straight/gay/bi? Are you seeing someone? Can I take you out for a drink?), you can always politely tell the person that that if it isn't shoot related, you'd prefer not to discuss personal info. You can also ask them to clarify why they are asking, just in case there is a shoot context reason they are asking (e.g. a girl/girl shoot)

Additionally, you might want to double check your profile sidebar, and make sure you ONLY have the genres you are willing to shoot checked, and not the entire list.

No one can decide your limits and comfort levels but you, and no one but you can politely assert themselves if a situation occurs that isn't within those boundaries.
Oct 15 12 02:51 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
JennyFromTheBlock1
Posts: 25
Kansas City, Missouri, US


Thank you for all of your insight. I am learning different things to be aware of and did not know if this was something I will come across. I guess I can understand with a girl/girl shoot.


Thanks
Oct 15 12 02:56 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
MoRina
Posts: 5,600
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US


Sometimes people ask things that are impolite or inappropriate. If it is a face-to-face conversation, it's easy to laugh off a question and say "yeah, I'm not going to go there" and then move on, but emails are more difficult because you don't really know tone, and you don't know what is a serious question and what isn't.

This isn't a modeling-specific issue, though.  Some people will ask whatever they feel like.  I used to be in outside sales, and was doing a very in-depth sales presentation with a customer.  After a while, he leaned back in his chair, folded his arms, and said "is that your real hair color?"
Oct 15 12 03:13 pm  Link  Quote 
Artist/Painter
Two Pears Studio
Posts: 3,313
Wilmington, Delaware, US


MoRina wrote:
Sometimes people ask things that are impolite or inappropriate. If it is a face-to-face conversation, it's easy to laugh off a question and say "yeah, I'm not going to go there" and then move on, but emails are more difficult because you don't really know tone, and you don't know what is a serious question and what isn't.

This isn't a modeling-specific issue, though.  Some people will ask whatever they feel like.  I used to be in outside sales, and was doing a very in-depth sales presentation with a customer.  After a while, he leaned back in his chair, folded his arms, and said "is that your real hair color?"

At least he didn't ask if the drapes matched the carpet!

Sometimes when you are faced with so much beauty... your filter goes a bit haywire and you say what you are thinking... or sometimes nonsense!

Oct 15 12 03:17 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
John Horwitz
Posts: 2,566
Raleigh, North Carolina, US


JennyFromTheBlock1 wrote:
I learned your an ass ... Good Day wink

now I'm gonna cry

Oct 15 12 03:28 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
MoRina
Posts: 5,600
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US


Two Pears Studio wrote:

At least he didn't ask if the drapes matched the carpet!

Sometimes when you are faced with so much beauty... your filter goes a bit haywire and you say what you are thinking... or sometimes nonsense!

I was asked that before many times...I was trying to keep it clean here!

Oct 15 12 03:35 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Toto Photo
Posts: 2,361
Belmont, California, US


MoRina wrote:
Sometimes people ask things that are impolite or inappropriate. If it is a face-to-face conversation, it's easy to laugh off a question and say "yeah, I'm not going to go there" and then move on, but emails are more difficult because you don't really know tone, and you don't know what is a serious question and what isn't.

This isn't a modeling-specific issue, though.  Some people will ask whatever they feel like.  I used to be in outside sales, and was doing a very in-depth sales presentation with a customer.  After a while, he leaned back in his chair, folded his arms, and said "is that your real hair color?"

Good point, great example!

So, did you close the deal?

Oct 15 12 03:35 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Rik Austin
Posts: 10,705
Austin, Texas, US


Moderator Note!
Just as a reminder this discussion is not about English.
Oct 15 12 03:47 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jay Farrell
Posts: 12,989
Nashville, Tennessee, US


John Horwitz wrote:
now I'm gonna cry

lol

Oct 15 12 04:16 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Joe WoW Photos
Posts: 640
Dayton, Ohio, US


Yawn...
Oct 15 12 04:25 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
G D Peters Photography
Posts: 2,907
North Platte, Nebraska, US


Translation of a conversation or communique can often take differing paths, and are not always understood, so keeping that in mind may help you in the future.  All of us can be a little rough around the edges at times and say things we may not exactly mean, and may be interpreted wrong.  If you do not understand, ask.  Then if further understanding is not reached, take the proper course, whatever that may be.  We all have choices.  I wish you well.  smile
Oct 15 12 06:30 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Antediluvian Design
Posts: 1,137
Scranton, Pennsylvania, US


Would wearing Joey Buttafuco pants be considered unprofessional?
Oct 15 12 08:03 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Optix
Posts: 223
Boston, Massachusetts, US


Rik Austin wrote:
Just as a reminder this discussion is not about English.

Not necessarily about English, but definitely about being misunderstood because of a lack of proper communication skills.

For example, instead of asking her if she was bisexual, which she obviously found offensive, he should have asked her if she would feel uncomfortable simulating intimacy with another woman.

Just because someone is homosexual, doesn't mean they're promiscuous. It is the equivalent of asking a straight woman, if she would feel uncomfortable simulating intimacy with a male.

In other words, he was gauging some "slutty factor" by making an assumption about gay people.

Oct 16 12 02:21 am  Link  Quote 
first12   Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers