login info join!
Forums > General Industry > Looking for a nightgown..l Search   Reply
Photographer
DWShoots
Posts: 299
San Antonio, Texas, US


Ive been looking for a particular style of nightgown for quite some time. It is an empire waisted nightgown often with cap sleeves similar to what was worn in a lot of 60's horror movies and TV shows as can be seen here in The Vampire Lovers with Ingrid Pitt.

http://www.esplatter.com/images/vampirelovers2.jpg

Short of buying a pattern (of which I can't even find one of those) and having my wife see nightgowns like these I'm at my wits end in my search.
I've searched new, vintage, etc.

Anyone able to help?
Thanks!
Oct 14 12 02:58 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
M Pandolfo Photography
Posts: 12,113
Tampa, Florida, US


OK, I'm no expert on this but MAYBE this site might help. They have a lot of Vintage items that are similar (particularly in the 1910 era chiffon dresses).

http://www.vintagetextile.com/new_page_21.htm (the nav bar is at the bottom).

Or...

http://compare.ebay.com/like/2610548491 … s&var=sbar
Oct 14 12 03:08 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DWShoots
Posts: 299
San Antonio, Texas, US


Michael Pandolfo wrote:
OK, I'm no expert on this but MAYBE this site might help. They have a lot of Vintage items that are similar (particularly in the 1910 era chiffon dresses).

http://www.vintagetextile.com/new_page_21.htm (the nav bar is at the bottom).

Or...

http://compare.ebay.com/like/261054849180?var=lv
Oct 14 12 03:26 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Sabine Luise
Posts: 890
Boston, Massachusetts, US


Can you get a seamstress? They can sometimes be affordable.
Oct 14 12 05:04 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
R80
Posts: 2,567
Marceline, Missouri, US


Sabine  wrote:
Can you get a seamstress? They can sometimes be affordable.

Run down to ChinaMart or a fabric store and see if you can find the pattern.  You'll have several pattern making companies to choose from.  Then head over to that seamstress and save about 700 dollars over what you found.

Oct 14 12 05:54 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
LightWriting
Posts: 399
Long Beach, California, US


Oct 14 12 06:15 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DWShoots
Posts: 299
San Antonio, Texas, US


R80 wrote:

Run down to ChinaMart or a fabric store and see if you can find the pattern.  You'll have several pattern making companies to choose from.  Then head over to that seamstress and save about 700 dollars over what you found.

I've looked and looked through pattern books and have come up empty handed.
The closest I've found in a pattern book is the "Rose" dress from Titanic.

Oct 14 12 08:05 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DWShoots
Posts: 299
San Antonio, Texas, US


LightWriting wrote:
eBay? Like This?

Warmer, but the lace is hideous and I don't like the way lace photographs.

Oct 14 12 08:07 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
zierlich
Posts: 25
San Antonio, Texas, US


www.etsy.com maybe?

they have the option to look through vintage and then just type "nightgown" and i saw about three that might fit what you are looking for

1

2

3

And it never hurts to go thrifty! Shop local thrift and or vintage shops, you'd be surprised at what you can find.
Oct 14 12 08:21 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DWShoots
Posts: 299
San Antonio, Texas, US


Bee Rhiannon wrote:
www.etsy.com maybe?

they have the option to look through vintage and then just type "nightgown" and i saw about three that might fit what you are looking for

1

2

3

And it never hurts to go thrifty! Shop local thrift and or vintage shops, you'd be surprised at what you can find.

San Antonio is the flea market/thrift shop Capitol of the World. I've looked for this specific type of gown for about 4 years.

The ones you linked are definitely vintage style nightgowns but not quite the same n
Here's Ingrid Pitt wearing one.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_IoU3bEFUwWc/TO7zh4lZ15I/AAAAAAAAKqg/iGP1rV-VOrE/s1600/INGRID%2BPITT%2B2.jpg

Oct 14 12 09:03 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DWShoots
Posts: 299
San Antonio, Texas, US


Kudos to my wonderful wife who made this today!

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h116/ihadthat/73E61B54-5957-4ECE-8122-ED034B9607F8-1899-000001A30061BD7F.jpg
Nov 11 12 05:28 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DWShoots
Posts: 299
San Antonio, Texas, US


Nov 14 12 09:07 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
sweet gamine
Posts: 374
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada


Very nice!
Nov 14 12 09:19 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Axioma
Posts: 6,763
Gent, East Flanders, Belgium


you'll probably find stuff like that in tons on Etsy

first pick: http://www.etsy.com/listing/101655471/s … a-rare-off
Nov 14 12 09:38 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
KMP
Posts: 4,667
Houston, Texas, US


DWShoots wrote:
San Antonio is the flea market/thrift shop Capitol of the World. I've looked for this specific type of gown for about 4 years.

The ones you linked are definitely vintage style nightgowns but not quite the same n
Here's Ingrid Pitt wearing one.

If you're going to be super particular.. you'll likely need to have them made..

Nov 14 12 09:42 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Boho Hobo
Posts: 25,351
Portland, Oregon, US


DWShoots wrote:
Ive been looking for a particular style of nightgown for quite some time. It is an empire waisted nightgown often with cap sleeves similar to what was worn in a lot of 60's horror movies and TV shows as can be seen here in The Vampire Lovers with Ingrid Pitt.

http://www.esplatter.com/images/vampirelovers2.jpg

Short of buying a pattern (of which I can't even find one of those) and having my wife see nightgowns like these I'm at my wits end in my search.
I've searched new, vintage, etc.

Anyone able to help?
Thanks!

do you really think you can fit into one of these nightgowns?

Nov 14 12 10:25 am  Link  Quote 
Clothing Designer
Wilde Hunt Corsetry
Posts: 343
Columbus, Ohio, US


A Regency era pattern would work well.

http://www.songsmyth.com/patternsgowns.html
Nov 14 12 11:06 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DWShoots
Posts: 299
San Antonio, Texas, US


_Mini wrote:
you'll probably find stuff like that in tons on Etsy

first pick: http://www.etsy.com/listing/101655471/s … a-rare-off

Sorry, but that is ugly! Eek!

Nov 14 12 02:45 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DWShoots
Posts: 299
San Antonio, Texas, US


Patchouli Nyx wrote:

do you really think you can fit into one of these nightgowns?

Only if my wife is wearing it. wink

Nov 14 12 02:45 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DWShoots
Posts: 299
San Antonio, Texas, US


Wilde Hunt Corsetry wrote:
A Regency era pattern would work well.

http://www.songsmyth.com/patternsgowns.html

Ahh, yes! I've seen most of those patterns before and that's as close as I had come. The one my wife ended up making turned out perfect though.

Thanks for the link!

Nov 14 12 02:46 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Axioma
Posts: 6,763
Gent, East Flanders, Belgium


DWShoots wrote:
Sorry, but that is ugly! Eek!

Oh I am extremely sorry for trying to be helpful
hmm

Nov 15 12 04:17 am  Link  Quote 
Model
MatureModelMM
Posts: 924
Detroit, Michigan, US


DWShoots wrote:
Kudos to my wonderful wife who made this today!

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h116/ihadthat/73E61B54-5957-4ECE-8122-ED034B9607F8-1899-000001A30061BD7F.jpg

She did a wonderful job! And your photo of the model wearing it is so beautiful. No doubt you can use it again with other models in different settings.

There are times like this when it turns out to be easier to make it than to spend a lot of time looking for it.  I constantly shop thrift stores for vintage looking things I can use when modelling, once in a while I find something.

Nov 15 12 07:13 am  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers