login info join!
Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > magazines to submit work to Search   Reply
Makeup Artist
BKellerman MUA
Posts: 129
Saint Louis, Missouri, US


I was just curious if anyone could share some smaller magazine companies or even some bigger ones, that you can submit your work to in hopes that you might get a small feature in. or just even put in the back...lol...i would like to submit some of my work and just not sure where to start. i know it might be a long shot, but it never hurts to try.
Thanks!
Oct 29 12 07:52 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Simire MUA
Posts: 91
London, England, United Kingdom


Just had a look at this thread:

http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=598577

Might be of interest to you?
Oct 29 12 09:34 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
BKellerman MUA
Posts: 129
Saint Louis, Missouri, US


thanks! gonna give it a look!
Oct 29 12 09:39 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Poisoned Sugar Creation
Posts: 1
Dallas, Texas, US


Simire MUA wrote:
Just had a look at this thread:

http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=598577

Might be of interest to you?

Oh thanks for posting this, it's exactly what I came here looking for. Though I can't find a photographer who will let me submit my own photos..

Oct 29 12 09:49 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Simire MUA
Posts: 91
London, England, United Kingdom


Poisoned Sugar Creation wrote:
Oh thanks for posting this, it's exactly what I came here looking for. Though I can't find a photographer who will let me submit my own photos..

I've also wondered about this as well. Will be good to find out from other Mua on how to gain copyright for these images

Oct 29 12 10:08 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Paul Tirado Photography
Posts: 4,215
New York, New York, US


Poisoned Sugar Creation wrote:
Oh thanks for posting this, it's exactly what I came here looking for. Though I can't find a photographer who will let me submit my own photos..

Well you can place a casting or help organize a shoot that from the beginning is understood to geared toward submission.

As for the other photos you should understand by now that unless you actually took the photos, they are not your "own photos" but rather photos you worked on. Not many magazines, at least the respectable ones, will except submissions from anyone other than the copyright owner.

Oct 29 12 10:09 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Denise
Posts: 1,911
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada


Most of the time, submissions are made by photographers because they own the rights to the photos. As suggested, try to organize a shoot with the goal of submission,  understanding that every element must be magazine quality. Also, expect that it will take several months - a shoot I did in March for editorial submission was just published last week.
Oct 30 12 12:23 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Camerosity
Posts: 5,083
Saint Louis, Missouri, US


Denise wrote:
Most of the time, submissions are made by photographers because they own the rights to the photos. As suggested, try to organize a shoot with the goal of submission,  understanding that every element must be magazine quality. Also, expect that it will take several months - a shoot I did in March for editorial submission was just published last week.

Six months is fairly typical. Many magazines are working on their issues dated six months from now - so that's the earliest those magazines could publish. Sometimes it's shorter. Sometimes it's longer.

Oct 30 12 12:34 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Denise
Posts: 1,911
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada


Yes, I know it's typical, that's why we shot fall clothes in the spring. I was just passing along that info to the OP as she appears to be new to the submission process.
Oct 30 12 12:40 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Paul Tirado Photography
Posts: 4,215
New York, New York, US


Denise wrote:
Most of the time, submissions are made by photographers because they own the rights to the photos. As suggested, try to organize a shoot with the goal of submission,  understanding that every element must be magazine quality. Also, expect that it will take several months - a shoot I did in March for editorial submission was just published last week.
Camerosity wrote:
Six months is fairly typical. Many magazines are working on their issues dated six months from now - so that's the earliest those magazines could publish. Sometimes it's shorter. Sometimes it's longer.

With this lag time in mind, often the easiest thing to handle first would be some sort of beauty story - let it be a particular application or color or style.  It is tougher when clothes are showing as unless you have a stylist who can pull upcoming seasons from showrooms and the like as those are the fashions that would only be current when it goes to press.

Oct 30 12 02:08 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
BKellerman MUA
Posts: 129
Saint Louis, Missouri, US


this is all great info! thanks! the photos that i am looking to submit, i have permission and have not problem getting a release for the rights to the photos...when submitting will i need to provide a release form from the photographer with the photos?
Oct 30 12 06:35 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Camerosity
Posts: 5,083
Saint Louis, Missouri, US


BKellerman MUA wrote:
this is all great info! thanks! the photos that i am looking to submit, i have permission and have not problem getting a release for the rights to the photos...when submitting will i need to provide a release form from the photographer with the photos?

Some magazines will ask that the photos be submitted by the photographer. Others will ask for a usage license (for the specific use intended) signed by the photographer. While many photographers have their own forms and write their own usage licenses (for whatever use is being permitted, not necessarily publication), most magazines have their own usage license forms that they will want to have signed. The larger the magazine the more likely it will want to use its own form.

Oct 30 12 02:40 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
BKellerman MUA
Posts: 129
Saint Louis, Missouri, US


Camerosity wrote:

Some magazines will ask that the photos be submitted by the photographer. Others will ask for a usage license (for the specific use intended) signed by the photographer. While many photographers have their own forms and write their own usage licenses (for whatever use is being permitted, not necessarily publication), most magazines have their own usage license forms that they will want to have signed. The larger the magazine the more likely it will want to use its own form.

thanks! this is great info!

Oct 30 12 02:45 pm  Link  Quote 
Wardrobe Stylist
Cello Ong
Posts: 7
London, England, United Kingdom


http://o8magazine.wix.com/oppamag
accepting photography, fashion, art, travel, lifestyle, writing and illustration submission
Jan 22 13 04:04 am  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers