login info join!
Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > SF2: Ess Effin Two > I try to be adventurous... Search   Reply
Model
hygvhgvkhy
Posts: 2,092
Chicago, Illinois, US


But when looking at "how to clean your turtle" I didn't think it would be for cooking and eating:(

I know some of you Are pretty adventurous when it comes to food, anyone ever eaten a turtle?
Nov 04 12 10:19 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Photographer
-JAY-
Posts: 6,186
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


Presley ONeil wrote:
I know some of you Are pretty adventurous when it comes to food, anyone ever eaten a turtle?

Yes.

The most adventurous, though... There was this goat in Khost, Afghanistan. He was my friend. A week later, he was dinner. The kebab was delicious, though.

Nov 04 12 11:38 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DougBPhoto
Posts: 37,484
Portland, Oregon, US


Presley ONeil wrote:
But when looking at "how to clean your turtle" I didn't think it would be for cooking and eating:(

I know some of you Are pretty adventurous when it comes to food, anyone ever eaten a turtle?

Yuck.

Nov 04 12 11:46 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
hygvhgvkhy
Posts: 2,092
Chicago, Illinois, US


-JAY- wrote:

Yes.

The most adventurous, though... There was this goat in Khost, Afghanistan. He was my friend. A week later, he was dinner. The kebab was delicious, though.

see, i think i would be able to *try turtle at a restaurant, without thinking about it. But while i was thinking about my tiny lil guy it was just weird:(

Humans are stange creatures.. we befriend animals, develop connections with them, and eat the same animals we love.

A tribe in africa makes boys keep a dog until a certain age, then kill/eat it. thats just unbearable

Nov 05 12 12:25 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Sha-Lynne
Posts: 22,680
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


-JAY- wrote:

Yes.

The most adventurous, though... There was this goat in Khost, Afghanistan. He was my friend. A week later, he was dinner. The kebab was delicious, though.

Wasn't there a more adventurous meal around that time that did not end as well?

Nov 05 12 12:44 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Laura UnBound
Posts: 26,984
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


The strangest things Ive eaten were deep fried alligator tail, caribou, and ostrich. All three were very good, but not something I would incorporate into my regular diet either.  I have no interest in trying turtle. They dont look tasty, dont smell tasty, not very meaty in the first place, and I had a bunch as pets when I was a kid.
Nov 05 12 12:52 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Amadea T
Posts: 3,302
Columbus, Ohio, US


Laura UnBound wrote:
The strangest things Ive eaten were deep fried alligator tail, caribou, and ostrich. All three were very good, but not something I would incorporate into my regular diet either.  I have no interest in trying turtle. They dont look tasty, dont smell tasty, not very meaty in the first place, and I had a bunch as pets when I was a kid.

Oooh, I like Ostrich. It's low fat and not as dry as beef. Lots of farms in AUT.
Gator needs to be cooked right or it'll be fishy/rubbery. 

But a turtle? NO thankies.

Nov 05 12 08:50 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Laura UnBound
Posts: 26,984
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Eurocat wrote:

Oooh, I like Ostrich. It's low fat and not as dry as beef. Lots of farms in AUT.
Gator needs to be cooked right or it'll be fishy/rubbery. 

But a turtle? NO thankies.

Theres a restaurant out in bumfuck PA that for some reason serves almost exclusively very exotic animals.  I went with my ex and his parents. The menu that day was actually pretty tame, they normally have really crazy shit like lion and seaturtle, not even something remotely resembling typical meat like deer, cow, big, and bird. I got a steak because it was the only normal thing on the menu. One of them got the ostrich and the other two got caribou and they insisted I try it. I was surprised that I liked it at all, though the caribou could have been cooked longer, I dont like anything rare.

Dont remember who it was, I was talking with someone recently about the alligator , they said it was terrible and I couldnt believe it because if *I* liked it there was no way they couldnt have liked it. They grilled theirs or something though, so I think that was the issue. Deep fried with honey mustard, mine was like eating a chicken finger.

Nov 05 12 11:58 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Russian Katarina II
Posts: 2,515
London, England, United Kingdom


-JAY- wrote:
Yes.

The most adventurous, though... There was this goat in Khost, Afghanistan. He was my friend. A week later, he was dinner. The kebab was delicious, though.

I'm not asking what you did with the goat during that week...what happens in Afghanistan stays in Afghanistan, as they say.

Nov 05 12 12:02 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
immateria
Posts: 15,446
Brooklyn, New York, US


My boyfriend once went to buy himself a turtle and frog meat for eating. The killed and butchered and frog, and gave him a live turtle. He couldn't go through with it, though he says the frog was delicious.
Nov 05 12 12:20 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Amadea T
Posts: 3,302
Columbus, Ohio, US


Laura UnBound wrote:
I went with my ex and his parents. The menu that day was actually pretty tame, they normally have really crazy shit like lion and ***

yikes

Zei eeet ze kitteh!?!?!?!?

That's just wrong.

Nov 05 12 12:23 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DougBPhoto
Posts: 37,484
Portland, Oregon, US


Eurocat wrote:
Oooh, I like Ostrich. It's low fat and not as dry as beef. Lots of farms in AUT.
Gator needs to be cooked right or it'll be fishy/rubbery. 

But a turtle? NO thankies.

I think I had ostrich once too..

IIRC, it was a weird bar, frequented by Hells Angels, located just outside of Spokane.

Ahhhhh, good times.  smile

Now, when I was in Alaska, moose made for great Mexican.

Nov 05 12 12:24 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Laura UnBound
Posts: 26,984
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Eurocat wrote:
yikes

Zei eeet ze kitteh!?!?!?!?

That's just wrong.

I was surprised they could even get them. Apparently not all of them are on no-kill lists. Someone somewhere is farming lions for the purpose of eating.

Bear was another option I forgot, though thats not SO strange.


And then there was the really gross organ dishes like bull testicles, livers of something, tongues of something, hearts of something...

Nov 05 12 12:30 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Amadea T
Posts: 3,302
Columbus, Ohio, US


DougBPhoto wrote:
I think I had ostrich once too..

IIRC, it was a weird bar, frequented by Hells Angels, located just outside of Spokane.

Ahhhhh, good times.  smile

Now, when I was in Alaska, moose made for great Mexican.

You go to Alaska for moose when you can have the salmon and the stuff and the thing? Rad. Must try moose next time I'm not vegetarian anymore. big_smile

I ate all strange things in the Aussie pub in Vienna I used to work at.
Crock, ostrich, even grasshoppers (taste like old fries when deep fried. Not that exciting. But grosses lots of people out, so when tips were shitty, we'd do vodka shots with fried grasshoppers to liven up the place. Good times.).

Nov 05 12 12:31 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Amadea T
Posts: 3,302
Columbus, Ohio, US


Laura UnBound wrote:
I was surprised they could even get them. Apparently not all of them are on no-kill lists. Someone somewhere is farming lions for the purpose of eating.

Bear was another option I forgot, though thats not SO strange.


And then there was the really gross organ dishes like bull testicles, livers of something, tongues of something, hearts of something...

Love veal liver and there's an Austrian dish (called Beuschel, after the czech name for heart&lungs), it's the windpipe and heart&lungs, and it sounds totally gross, and I didn't try it for the longest time, but lemme tell you, poor people food is derrrrlicious!!!

Nov 05 12 12:33 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DougBPhoto
Posts: 37,484
Portland, Oregon, US


Eurocat wrote:

You go to Alaska for moose when you can have the salmon and the stuff and the thing? Rad. Must try moose next time I'm not vegetarian anymore. big_smile

I ate all strange things in the Aussie pub in Vienna I used to work at.
Crock, ostrich, even grasshoppers (taste like old fries when deep fried. Not that exciting. But grosses lots of people out, so when tips were shitty, we'd do vodka shots with fried grasshoppers to liven up the place. Good times.).

I have relatives up there, so the moose was just what they served at that particular meal.

Yeah, I definitely caught and ate salmon, halibut, and trout.  I remember one time I was there, when I was about 12, and fishing in the middle of a small river, and I got head-butted by a huge king salmon, fucker knocked me over into the water, and judging by the size was probably close to 90 lbs... (it wasn't the weight alone, but the force of being hit in a direction different than I was bracing to withstand the current.)

I'll pass on the grasshoppers, but I think I will pay more attention to the waitresses in the future.

Nov 05 12 12:37 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Amadea T
Posts: 3,302
Columbus, Ohio, US


DougBPhoto wrote:
I have relatives up there, so the moose was just what they served at that particular meal.

Yeah, I definitely caught and ate salmon, halibut, and trout.  I remember one time I was there, when I was about 12, and fishing in the middle of a small river, and I got head-butted by a huge king salmon, fucker knocked me over into the water, and judging by the size was probably close to 90 lbs... (it wasn't the weight alone, but the force of being hit in a direction different than I was bracing to withstand the current.)

I'll pass on the grasshoppers, but I think I will pay more attention to the waitresses in the future.

I'd still try moose. Just to say I did. Specially when the locals cook one up.

The salmon story is great! Love it when mother nature wallops one of the youngen's to teach them a mighty lesson early on..

Any images of that day?

Nov 05 12 12:40 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
scrymettet
Posts: 31,663
Quebec, Quebec, Canada


Presley ONeil wrote:
But when looking at "how to clean your turtle" I didn't think it would be for cooking and eating:(

I know some of you Are pretty adventurous when it comes to food, anyone ever eaten a turtle?

yup, in soup

Nov 05 12 04:21 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DougBPhoto
Posts: 37,484
Portland, Oregon, US


Eurocat wrote:
I'd still try moose. Just to say I did. Specially when the locals cook one up.

The salmon story is great! Love it when mother nature wallops one of the youngen's to teach them a mighty lesson early on..

Any images of that day?

Those were the olden, pre-digital days.. I may have some negs floating around somewhere, but my camera at that time sucked.

Everyone on shore was laughing at me for falling, but it really was a giant fish that hit me!!!

Nov 05 12 04:25 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Michael Broughton
Posts: 2,163
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada


Presley ONeil wrote:
anyone ever eaten a turtle?

that's not a euphemism, right? tongue

Nov 05 12 11:12 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Ronin_LLC
Posts: 2,012
Louisville, Kentucky, US


Presley ONeil wrote:
anyone ever eaten a turtle?

Yeah its the only animal that comes in its own bowl. Its natures ramen.

Nov 06 12 02:32 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Merlinpix
Posts: 7,098
Farmingdale, New York, US


Snake and  frog are  natures  fast foods, quick cleaning and easy cooking. Tasty too: just  like....chicken
Nov 06 12 03:26 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jason Haven
Posts: 38,283
Washington, District of Columbia, US


People.

er

I mean.... sushi?
Nov 06 12 03:29 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Paolo Diavolo
Posts: 8,146
Pleasant Hill, California, US


Eurocat wrote:
Oooh, I like Ostrich. It's low fat and not as dry as beef.

now i want and ostrich burger for lunch.
yum!

Nov 06 12 06:15 am  Link  Quote 
Model
HellBelle
Posts: 19,959
Indianapolis, Indiana, US


Elk is about as adventurous as I've been able to go with food. Pretty tasty.
Nov 06 12 07:58 am  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers