login info join!
Forums > Critique > Help! Search   Reply
Model
Lela Jesse
Posts: 1,148
Arcata, California, US


What do you think of my new avatar? I'd love a really good critique on what I could have done better.
Edit:
This was the old avatar that was originally up for critique.
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30561805
Is the new avatar any better?
Nov 07 12 10:29 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Paul Tirado Photography
Posts: 4,229
New York, New York, US


Well the arm over the chair looks a little awkward so maybe it could have a been a more graceful pose, maybe your arm on top.

With too much of your face in shadow, it is not a very good portrait. Now this is not necessarily your fault but the picture directly before this seems to indicate the main light is coming from the other side so as a model you are always told to "know where your light is".
Nov 07 12 10:36 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Lela Jesse
Posts: 1,148
Arcata, California, US


Paul Tirado Photography wrote:
Well the arm over the chair looks a little awkward so maybe it could have a been a more graceful pose, maybe your arm on top.

With too much of your face in shadow, it is not a very good portrait. Now this is not necessarily your fault but the picture directly before this seems to indicate the main light is coming from the other side so as a model you are always told to "know where your light is".

Thank you very much.
Is this one better?
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= … =3&theater

I've had quite a break so it feels a bit like starting over. Haha.

Nov 07 12 10:41 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
steph amberlyn stewart
Posts: 34
Brantford, Ontario, Canada


i personally dont like the way your head is tilted i dont know why im not a picky person i just feel like the head is akward to look at there are many better pictures in your portfolio
Nov 07 12 10:41 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Lela Jesse
Posts: 1,148
Arcata, California, US


steph amberlyn stewart wrote:
i personally dont like the way your head is tilted i dont know why im not a picky person i just feel like the head is akward to look at there are many better pictures in your portfolio

Thank you!

Nov 07 12 10:42 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Orca Bay Images
Posts: 32,233
Lodi, California, US


Too underexposed and I don't like the placement of the arms.

This would be a much more effective avatar:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110117/00/4d33fd1641b84_m.jpg
It's much more of an attention-grabber.


P.S. How's Arcata these days? (HSU '89 grad here.)
Nov 07 12 10:57 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Lela Jesse
Posts: 1,148
Arcata, California, US


Orca Bay Images wrote:
Too underexposed and I don't like the placement of the arms.

This would be a much more effective avatar:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110117/00/4d33fd1641b84_m.jpg
It's much more of an attention-grabber.


P.S. How's Arcata these days? (HSU '89 grad here.)

Thank so you much!
Arcata is pretty great! I'm loving it here! Good to know of some awesome HSU Grads out there!

Nov 07 12 11:01 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Lee_Photography
Posts: 8,566
Minneapolis, Minnesota, US


http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121107/22/509b4e4f684c6_m.jpg
The most important aspect of a portrait is the eyes, in this image your eyes appear to be in shadow
Your left arm is quite straight, lacks pose bend elbow, move away out to side, this will highlight your form
Right hand pose does not seem to fit the over all look
Bit to much head tilt


http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110302/23/4d6f448ee10b8_m.jpg
This is quite nice, really shows you in a good light

Wish you well
Nov 08 12 06:26 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Lela Jesse
Posts: 1,148
Arcata, California, US


Lee_Photography wrote:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121107/22/509b4e4f684c6_m.jpg
The most important aspect of a portrait is the eyes, in this image your eyes appear to be in shadow
Your left arm is quite straight, lacks pose bend elbow, move away out to side, this will highlight your form
Right hand pose does not seem to fit the over all look
Bit to much head tilt


http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110302/23/4d6f448ee10b8_m.jpg
This is quite nice, really shows you in a good light

Wish you well

Thank you! That is great help!

Nov 08 12 05:02 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Mark
Posts: 2,889
New York, New York, US


its an awful shot.  What are you trying to do with that hand?  Just scrap it- you could use the cupcake shot- its blurry but as an avatar shot it would work and sell your charms better.
Nov 09 12 11:05 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DougBPhoto
Posts: 37,941
Portland, Oregon, US


For an avatar, it is very dark and hard to see you.

It really does not do what an avatar should do, and that is showcase you.

A different selection should encourage folks to click so they can REALLY see that you are quite beautiful. smile
Nov 09 12 11:07 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Lela Jesse
Posts: 1,148
Arcata, California, US


Mark wrote:
its an awful shot.  What are you trying to do with that hand?  Just scrap it- you could use the cupcake shot- its blurry but as an avatar shot it would work and sell your charms better.

Thank you for your help. smile

Nov 09 12 11:08 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Lela Jesse
Posts: 1,148
Arcata, California, US


DougBPhoto wrote:
For an avatar, it is very dark and hard to see you.

It really does not do what an avatar should do, and that is showcase you.

A different selection should encourage folks to click so they can REALLY see that you are quite beautiful. smile

Thank you very much! I have another shoot tomorrow, and I'm hoping to get something new to use as an avatar. smile

Nov 09 12 11:13 pm  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers