login info join!
Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > most perfect city in the world Search   Reply
first1234last
Model
Russian Katarina II
Posts: 2,515
London, England, United Kingdom


Caustic Disco wrote:

probably the most hilarious convo i've heard all day, ya'll are silly!!!

I'm Russian. We are known to be a hilarious people.

https://i.chzbgr.com/completestore/12/6/7/22yXO4FL_k6l09PWNog5dA2.jpg

Nov 10 12 03:44 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Russian Katarina II
Posts: 2,515
London, England, United Kingdom


Lawrence Guy wrote:

There's no reply to dung beetles.

You win this time, my nemesis!

Smart men don't mess with Miss Frost during winter.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lktyij6bWi1qf12plo1_400.jpg

It's kind of like invading Russia in winter - a fool's errand.
Be glad that I let you off with a verbal spanking this time.

Nov 10 12 03:51 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Laura UnBound
Posts: 27,089
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Caustic Disco wrote:

ooo, i've never even considered canada, i may have to look into that. how is the modeling/photographer/acting scene there?

Your major canadian cities are Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, and Quebec. at least those are the ones you might want to be in if youre a city-person.

Having only been to Toronto (and having spent the entirety of this year here) I can say I REALLY like it. My comparison of NYC is mostly by size and the types of people. Toronto is a big city, there are a LOT of people. Theres also plenty to do and see, public transit it very accessible and very simple. Its one of north americas most culturally diverse cities, so much like new york theres a very large selection of foods, music, entertainment, etc from around the world. You can walk down the street and easily overhear 5 different languages. Toronto, like NYC is a hot destination for immigrants, students going abroad, etc. Its a very interesting city.

I personally find it to be nicer than NYC though, in terms of the general tone of the people on the street. NYC always feels rushed and like youre in everyones way. Toronto is crowded but...well just nicer to you. The city also has made a huge effort to keep toronto clean and family/nature-friendly. I can walk to at least two separate but decently sized parks, and theres a TON more IN the city.


Modelling wise, I havent done anything here, by choice. I can say that the handful of models who have crashed on my couch this year have done fairly well though. Cant speak for acting.

Nov 10 12 03:52 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Julia Francesca
Posts: 2,357
Maumee, Ohio, US


Laura UnBound wrote:

Your major canadian cities are Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, and Quebec. at least those are the ones you might want to be in if youre a city-person.

Having only been to Toronto (and having spent the entirety of this year here) I can say I REALLY like it. My comparison of NYC is mostly by size and the types of people. Toronto is a big city, there are a LOT of people. Theres also plenty to do and see, public transit it very accessible and very simple. Its one of north americas most culturally diverse cities, so much like new york theres a very large selection of foods, music, entertainment, etc from around the world. You can walk down the street and easily overhear 5 different languages. Toronto, like NYC is a hot destination for immigrants, students going abroad, etc. Its a very interesting city.

I personally find it to be nicer than NYC though, in terms of the general tone of the people on the street. NYC always feels rushed and like youre in everyones way. Toronto is crowded but...well just nicer to you. The city also has made a huge effort to keep toronto clean and family/nature-friendly. I can walk to at least two separate but decently sized parks, and theres a TON more IN the city.


Modelling wise, I havent done anything here, by choice. I can say that the handful of models who have crashed on my couch this year have done fairly well though. Cant speak for acting.

awesome, very helpful, thanks!!! will definitely be looking into this city, sounds lovely!

Nov 10 12 03:54 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
kickfight
Posts: 26,739
Portland, Oregon, US


Caustic Disco wrote:
everyone, what in your opinion is the most perfect city/town/whatever in the whole wide world and why? i feel like moving.

Ahem

Nov 10 12 03:57 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Julia Francesca
Posts: 2,357
Maumee, Ohio, US


kickfight wrote:

Ahem

I LOVE THIS, thank you for sharing that!! omgomgomg hilarious

Nov 10 12 04:01 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Top Level Studio
Posts: 3,232
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada


Laura UnBound wrote:
The city also has made a huge effort to keep toronto clean and family/nature-friendly. I can walk to at least two separate but decently sized parks, and theres a TON more IN the city.

Modelling wise, I havent done anything here, by choice. I can say that the handful of models who have crashed on my couch this year have done fairly well though. Cant speak for acting.

It's true about the parks in Toronto.  When you get a look at Toronto from the CN Tower, once you look past the downtown high-rises, the rest of the city looks like buildings poking up among all the trees.

Toronto and Vancouver are the main Canadian cities for making movies.

Another good thing about Toronto, although it may not mean much to some people, is that many companies have their head offices or distribution centres there, so you can take your camera or audio gear into head office and get it serviced quickly, instead of sending it off in the mail and waiting weeks to see it again.

If you don't need or don't want the big-city feel, and don't like snow, it's worth taking a look at Victoria, which gets the least snow of any city in Canada, typically less than a week per winter.  It also has very clean air and great mountain views.  Victoria has an active art scene, with lots of photographers and models.  However, everyday jobs can be hard to find.

Nov 10 12 04:06 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
kickfight
Posts: 26,739
Portland, Oregon, US


kickfight wrote:
Ahem
Caustic Disco wrote:
I LOVE THIS, thank you for sharing that!! omgomgomg hilarious

Oh, it gets better. smile

Nov 10 12 04:07 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
California Girls Skate
Posts: 343
Los Angeles, California, US


Caustic Disco wrote:
everyone, what in your opinion is the most perfect city/town/whatever in the whole wide world and why? i feel like moving.

I vote Hobbiton or Bespin.

Nov 10 12 04:10 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Photographer
Giacomo Cirrincioni
Posts: 21,042
New York, New York, US


Katarina N. wrote:
Heidelberg. It looks like you'd imagine a medieval Camelot.

It's got pretty much everything, old baroque houses, towers, a huge castle on a hilltop, cute Christmas markets...

And it's a college town (like Boston in the States).  Lots of smart, fun young people (many of whom speak English) to hang out with.

Nov 10 12 04:14 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
London Fog
Posts: 6,770
London, England, United Kingdom


San Francisco, CA.
Nov 10 12 04:24 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Lawrence Guy
Posts: 17,651
LAKE PEEKSKILL, New York, US


kickfight wrote:
Ahem
Caustic Disco wrote:
I LOVE THIS, thank you for sharing that!! omgomgomg hilarious
kickfight wrote:
Oh, it gets better. smile

Almost makes me want to go back there.

Almost.

Nov 10 12 04:26 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Jules NYC
Posts: 15,927
New York, New York, US


London Fog wrote:
San Francisco, CA.

Nicccccccccce

https://vimeo.com/16096571

Nov 10 12 04:30 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
scrymettet
Posts: 31,833
Quebec, Quebec, Canada


not here
Nov 10 12 04:36 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Julia Francesca
Posts: 2,357
Maumee, Ohio, US


scrymettet wrote:
not here

why's that?

Nov 10 12 04:51 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
R_Marquez
Posts: 4,609
San Francisco, California, US


San Francisco is great and on par with the top cities. There's just so much packed into so little space that you can experience different cultures, scenes, and climates all in one day. We do have cold, and heat, but we rarely ever get any extreme weather.
Nov 10 12 04:53 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
SensualThemes
Posts: 3,042
Swoyersville, Pennsylvania, US


Boston...How i miss thee.

Many great cities. but

VANCOUVER wins for me.  Mild weather, mountains and big water within short distance.  Great city, affordable suburbs.  GREAT flexibility with regard to 420 and alternate lifestyles.
Nov 10 12 04:54 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Julia Francesca
Posts: 2,357
Maumee, Ohio, US


R_Marquez wrote:
San Francisco is great and on par with the top cities. There's just so much packed into so little space that you can experience different cultures, scenes, and climates all in one day. We do have cold, and heat, but we rarely ever get any extreme weather.

ooo san fran is a favorite for this thread, everyone has given me a lot to ponder! i'll definitely have to visit and find out for sure if it's my city soulmate.

Nov 10 12 04:55 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
scrymettet
Posts: 31,833
Quebec, Quebec, Canada


Caustic Disco wrote:

why's that?

no crime
really green : lot's of park
public transport not that bad
St Lawrence river
the city with the greater number of restaurant by inhabitants in America
10 feet of snow
cold as Hell in winter but really hot in Summer (all the 4 weeks)
4 ski resorts in less then 30 minutes from downtown
etc

Nov 10 12 04:58 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
London Fog
Posts: 6,770
London, England, United Kingdom


Jules NYC wrote:
Nicccccccccce

https://vimeo.com/16096571

Hey, that's lovely Jules!

It's such a great city, perfectly placed, and then there's Marin County, Napa and the wine country North and South of SF.

Slightly let down by the cool winters, but the scenery and cool lifestyle make up for it.

Absolute heaven!

Nov 10 12 04:59 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Laura UnBound
Posts: 27,089
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


scrymettet wrote:

no crime
really green : lot's of park
public transport not that bad
St Lawrence river
the city with the greater number of restaurant by inhabitants in America
10 feet of snow
cold as Hell in winter but really hot in Summer (all the 4 weeks)
4 ski resorts in less then 30 minutes from downtown
etc

Ah, that reminds me.


Average homicide rate in the Baltimore/DC area for one year is somewhere around 200-350.

Toronto last year was under 50.

Canadian cities are stupid safe compared to american cities of comparable size.

Nov 10 12 05:02 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
scrymettet
Posts: 31,833
Quebec, Quebec, Canada


Laura UnBound wrote:

Ah, that reminds me.


Average homicide rate in the Baltimore/DC area for one year is somewhere around 200-350.

Toronto last year was under 50.

Canadian cities are stupid safe compared to american cities of comparable size.

we got 2

Nov 10 12 05:03 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Jules NYC
Posts: 15,927
New York, New York, US


London Fog wrote:

Hey, that's lovely Jules!

It's such a great city, perfectly placed, and then there's Marin County, Napa and the wine country North and South of SF.

Slightly let down by the cool winters, but the scenery and cool lifestyle make up for it.

Absolute heaven!

Big Smile
smile

Nov 10 12 05:04 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Lawrence Guy
Posts: 17,651
LAKE PEEKSKILL, New York, US


Laura UnBound wrote:

Ah, that reminds me.


Average homicide rate in the Baltimore/DC area for one year is somewhere around 200-350.

Toronto last year was under 50.

Canadian cities are stupid safe compared to american cities of comparable size.

I remember the year that NYC broke 2,000.

I believe they're down around 600 now.

Nov 10 12 05:15 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Laura UnBound
Posts: 27,089
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Lawrence Guy wrote:

I remember the year that NYC broke 2,000.

I believe they're down around 600 now.

One of my highschool years the baltimore sun eventually gave up reporting it, they just kept a graph in the right hand column of the first page. It was somewhere in the 400s by the end of the year. I know theyre consistently in the top 10 for most dangerous cities, beating out philly on occasion.

Nov 10 12 05:26 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Garry k
Posts: 26,903
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada


I think my city is close

except for the weather and the gap between the rich and the poor
Nov 10 12 05:35 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Raoul Isidro Images
Posts: 6,065
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia


The city where I live right now.

(...it also exists in the Matrix)

http://www.gridskipper.com/assets/resources/2006/11/matrixshot.jpg
Top image is the city in The Matrix
Bottom image is downtown Sydney.
Jeremy Keith is the one on the picture.

Movies that made Sydney as a city backdrop:
The Matrix
Superman Returns
Mission Impossible
Finding Nemo
Babe
Godzilla:The Final Wars
Hercules Returns
Independence Day
Mad Max (The Road Warrior)
Planet Of The Apes
Star Wars Episode II
Star Wars Episode III
The X Men

Mr Anderson with a subdued Agent Smith at the Opera House, with Jada Pinkett Smith
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39523000/jpg/_39523361_matrixap_203300.jpg

Thandy Newton in Mission Impossible
http://media.zoom-cinema.fr/photos/668/thandie-newton-a-sydney.jpg

Superman Returns (this is the very same fountain where Neo and Morpheus met the Red Lady in The Matrix)
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6k28fiYXT1qcw9rdo1_500.jpg
Nov 10 12 06:29 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Julia Francesca
Posts: 2,357
Maumee, Ohio, US


Raoul Isidro Images wrote:
The city where I live right now.

(...it also exists in the Matrix)

http://www.gridskipper.com/assets/resources/2006/11/matrixshot.jpg
Top image is the city in The Matrix
Bottom image is downtown Sydney.
Jeremy Keith is the one on the picture.

Movies that made Sydney as a city backdrop:
The Matrix
Superman Returns
Mission Impossible
Finding Nemo
Babe
Godzilla:The Final Wars
Hercules Returns
Independence Day
Mad Max (The Road Warrior)
Planet Of The Apes
Star Wars Episode II
Star Wars Episode III
The X Men

Mr Anderson with a subdued Agent Smith at the Opera House, with Jada Pinkett Smith
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39523000/jpg/_39523361_matrixap_203300.jpg

Thandy Newton in Mission Impossible
http://media.zoom-cinema.fr/photos/668/thandie-newton-a-sydney.jpg

Superman Returns (this is the very same fountain where Neo and Morpheus met the Red Lady in The Matrix)
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6k28fiYXT1qcw9rdo1_500.jpg

ooooooo how cool!!!!

Nov 10 12 07:08 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Laura UnBound
Posts: 27,089
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Raoul Isidro Images wrote:
The city where I live right now.

(...it also exists in the Matrix)

http://www.gridskipper.com/assets/resources/2006/11/matrixshot.jpg
Top image is the city in The Matrix
Bottom image is downtown Sydney.
Jeremy Keith is the one on the picture.

Movies that made Sydney as a city backdrop:
The Matrix
Superman Returns
Mission Impossible
Finding Nemo
Babe
Godzilla:The Final Wars
Hercules Returns
Independence Day
Mad Max (The Road Warrior)
Planet Of The Apes
Star Wars Episode II
Star Wars Episode III
The X Men

Mr Anderson with a subdued Agent Smith at the Opera House, with Jada Pinkett Smith
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39523000/jpg/_39523361_matrixap_203300.jpg

Thandy Newton in Mission Impossible
http://media.zoom-cinema.fr/photos/668/thandie-newton-a-sydney.jpg

Superman Returns (this is the very same fountain where Neo and Morpheus met the Red Lady in The Matrix)
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6k28fiYXT1qcw9rdo1_500.jpg

yeah...but your beaches and forests and waters are full of everything that wants humans dead. tongue

Nov 10 12 07:10 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Raoul Isidro Images
Posts: 6,065
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia


Laura UnBound wrote:
yeah...but your beaches and forests and waters are full of everything that wants humans dead. tongue

But...

but...

That's part of da adventure, baby! borat

http://www.thedinosaurboy.com/uploaded_images/jurassic-park-3-7-779891.jpg

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/100810/23/4c62409dc4684.jpg

.

Nov 10 12 07:12 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
udor
Posts: 21,984
New York, New York, US


Garry k wrote:
I think my city is close

except for the weather and the gap between the rich and the poor

When I visited Vancouver in '86, it was considered as one of the 12 most beautiful cities in the world and I was in love!

I always thought I'd love to be a Canadian and would love to live in Vancouver (my choice would be Toronto now, tho), ended up in NYC... and that is my home for over 20 years now.

Curious what the future brings! smile

Toronto/Vancouver are "easier" for me, because I speak some English, while Buenos Aires would be an ultimate choice (see my post), I don't speak Spanish.

Nov 10 12 07:13 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Antediluvian Design
Posts: 1,137
Dunmore, Pennsylvania, US


Rome
Nov 10 12 07:13 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Aly Catt
Posts: 402
Oneonta, New York, US


San fransisco where im from
Nov 10 12 07:14 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Julia Francesca
Posts: 2,357
Maumee, Ohio, US


Laura UnBound wrote:

yeah...but your beaches and forests and waters are full of everything that wants humans dead. tongue

whhhaaaat???

Nov 10 12 07:16 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Julia Francesca
Posts: 2,357
Maumee, Ohio, US


Aly Danielle wrote:
San fransisco where im from
Nov 10 12 07:16 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
udor
Posts: 21,984
New York, New York, US


Aly Danielle wrote:
San fransisco where im from
Nov 10 12 07:18 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Laura UnBound
Posts: 27,089
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Caustic Disco wrote:

whhhaaaat???

Spiders, snakes, gators, sharks, basically everything in the wild will kill you.

Nov 10 12 07:25 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Aly Catt
Posts: 402
Oneonta, New York, US


udor wrote:

Funny... if I ever were forced to leave NYC and live on the West Coast... SF would have been my choice for all the things you are describing...

And... btw., I love your look and spunkiness! I really do... and if I'd have to move there... I'd take you with me... wink

Thanks.... I love your portfolio... Your only 4 hours away.... Let me know if youd ever want me in your studio wink

Nov 10 12 07:44 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Z_Photo
Posts: 6,925
Huntsville, Alabama, US


Jules NYC wrote:
San Francisco.

Good sized waves unlike Southern Cali
Excellent culture
Beautiful architecture
Weather that is variable & temperate
Chill attitude
Interesting terrain
Health-minded lifestyle
Romantic place

agreed on SF.  I also like Bern.  great old city, museums, music, great university, clean, and some parts of the city smell like the chocolate factory.  and you are ideally situated for getting out in the alps.  and easy access to lots of great places in europe.  but i don't think they let mere mortals buy houses there.

Nov 10 12 09:21 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Jules NYC
Posts: 15,927
New York, New York, US


Z_Photo wrote:
agreed on SF.  I also like Bern.  great old city, museums, music, great university, clean, and some parts of the city smell like the chocolate factory.  and you are ideally situated for getting out in the alps.  and easy access to lots of great places in europe.  but i don't think they let mere mortals buy houses there.

I have yet to go to Europe.

Pathetic that I have not been there yet.
Was supposed to go to Paris and Barcelona while I was attending school in Boston and both trips were cancelled. 

I've been working ever since.

I was offered a free trip to Europe... all I had to do was bring my toothbrush but it was with someone I had no interest in dating and that was the scenario, so no thank you.

I'll get there.

The Alps?
Nice.

I plan on seeing the world before the worms crawl in.
smile

Nov 10 12 09:35 pm  Link  Quote 
first1234last   Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers