login info join!
Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Juicing - A Great Habit! Search   Reply
12last
Model
modeled
Posts: 9,334
San Diego, California, US


Who here starts their day with fresh vegetable and fruit juice each morning?  What are your favorite combinations?

Juicing makes me feel alert, energized and healthy.  I recommend it to everyone.   More energy means more motivation to workout.  More working out means better moods and overall health.  Better overall health and moods/attitudes = success, lol.

Some great ideas here:

http://www.pressedjuicery.com/products-juices



/InBeforeSteroidReferenceToJuicing
Nov 11 12 08:31 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Jules NYC
Posts: 16,096
New York, New York, US


Yum!

I need to buy a juicer again but I buy a lot at New Morning (the local health-food store).

smile
Nov 11 12 08:33 am  Link  Quote 
Model
modeled
Posts: 9,334
San Diego, California, US


^I'm on my second juicer from Sears, it cost under $50.  The first one would probably still work if I hadn't gotten the machine part wet.
Nov 11 12 08:38 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Tegan Lynn
Posts: 993
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada


I never understood juicing. I like juice and all, but personally, I'd rather just eat whatever fruits and vegetables I have lying around rather than drink them.
Nov 11 12 08:40 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Frances Jewel
Posts: 9,149
Dayton, Ohio, US


Tegan Lynn wrote:
I never understood juicing. I like juice and all, but personally, I'd rather just eat whatever fruits and vegetables I have lying around rather than drink them.

exactly. Not to mention it fills your stomach, no hunger pains an hour later.

Nov 11 12 08:44 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Jules NYC
Posts: 16,096
New York, New York, US


modeled wrote:
^I'm on my second juicer from Sears, it cost under $50.  The first one would probably still work if I hadn't gotten the machine part wet.

Hummm, the blender I want costs twice as much lol
Must check it out!

smile

Nov 11 12 09:00 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
JLC Images
Posts: 11,559
Phillipsburg, New Jersey, US


-Handful of collard greens or kale
-1 green apple
-2 Carrots
-Small sliver of fresh ginger
-Aloe
-blend in frozen strawberries or blueberries for cold and sweetness
Nov 11 12 09:03 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Looknsee Photography
Posts: 21,165
Portland, Oregon, US


I used to, but nowadays I don't -- I eat my veggies (typically cooked) and fruit (typically raw) whole. 

Here's my thinking:

...  I'm Type II Diabetic
...  An orange contains 1/4 cup of juice or less
...  Thus the big 8 oz. glass of orange juice I used to enjoy contains the juice from
     4 or more oranges. 
...  That's roughly 4 times the calories as a whole orange.
...  A whole orange is just as satisfying to me as an 8 oz. glass or orange juice.

So, I'm better off eating a whole orange.  (Yay, Honeybell "oranges").
Nov 11 12 09:54 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Russian Katarina II
Posts: 2,515
London, England, United Kingdom


Jack approves of this thread.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_tAIS-rrOskE/TT0CMmUFHoI/AAAAAAAACKw/vdj96HspvhQ/s1600/lalannejuice.jpeg
Nov 11 12 09:56 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
tenrocK photo
Posts: 5,412
New York, New York, US


Frances Jewel wrote:

exactly. Not to mention it fills your stomach, no hunger pains an hour later.

The point of juicing is to pack a lot of nutrients that can be absorbed quickly, not necessarily replace a meal.

Nov 11 12 11:43 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
NothingIsRealButTheGirl
Posts: 32,828
Los Angeles, California, US


Don't drink your carbs!
Nov 11 12 11:55 am  Link  Quote 
Artist/Painter
MainePaintah
Posts: 1,713
Saco, Maine, US


I gained a ton of weight over a year ago due to my thyroid going wonky on me.

I am a vegetarian (35 years and counting), so when I wasn't losing any weight when my thyroid was cured, I started juicing for dinner.

For the last few weeks, my dinner has consisted of two big glasses of the combined following juices: carrot, kale, beet and apple juice.

My "fat" pants are now falling off me, and I have more energy than ever!
Nov 11 12 12:29 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Koryn
Posts: 36,360
Boston, Massachusetts, US


Breakfast this morning was beet, carrot and grapefruit juice, with some brazil nuts. Lunch was raw almond butter, a bananA, chia & hemp seeds ground with pea protein and cocoa, blended together to make a chocolatey banana drink. Then I had some kale, apple and cucumber juice around 2pm. Dinner will probably be a tofu scramble with spiralized zucchini noodles and sundried tomato marinara. Not sure yet though. I had some other stuff too, and some pumpkin seeds

The last few days ive juiced so much my little juicer is exhausted!
Nov 11 12 12:55 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
modeled
Posts: 9,334
San Diego, California, US


Jules NYC wrote:
Hummm, the blender I want costs twice as much lol
Must check it out!

smile

Our KitchenAid blender cost over $100 definitely.  We never use it.

I have Aloe and started adding Parsley today!  Ginger is next smile

Nov 11 12 02:21 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
GH-Photography
Posts: 9,420
Brunswick, Georgia, US


Last year I got a Breville Ikon multi Speed juice fountain. Its a bit pricey $199  but works extremely well, built for daily use, easy to clean, and gets every drop of juice out of the fruit or vegetable. The pulp comes out dry.
Nov 11 12 03:53 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
ChaiNoir
Posts: 345
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia


Yes indeed I do!!

I have the Oscar Neo 900
2 x Twin Gear voice activated cold press juicers
1 x Manaual hand cold press juicer

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y521/lepetifetio99/juice.jpg
Nov 11 12 04:08 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
ChaiNoir
Posts: 345
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia


A typical weeks worth for me big_smile

I always document my epic juice sessions bahahahaha - takes a while to get it al juiced. I use the pulp to make crackers too smile

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y521/lepetifetio99/juiced.jpg
Nov 11 12 04:15 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
modeled
Posts: 9,334
San Diego, California, US


^Blending beauty right there... I want one!


How do you make crackers with pulp?
Nov 11 12 04:15 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
ChaiNoir
Posts: 345
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia


ChaiNoir wrote:
Yes indeed I do!!

I have the Oscar Neo 900
2 x Twin Gear voice activated cold press juicers
1 x Manaual hand cold press juicer

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y521/lepetifetio99/juice.jpg

I also have a tblspoon of VITAL GREENS ( as seen in pic ) and Aloe juice too and Sunwarrior protein powder. YUMMM

Nov 11 12 04:48 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Koryn
Posts: 36,360
Boston, Massachusetts, US


Greg Holt Photography wrote:
Last year I got a Breville Ikon multi Speed juice fountain. Its a bit pricey $199  but works extremely well, built for daily use, easy to clean, and gets every drop of juice out of the fruit or vegetable. The pulp comes out dry.

I would like to get a nice juicer soon. The one I've been using for about a year and a half, is not working as well anymore. It leaves the veg pulp juicy; it didn't used to do that when it was newer.

Nov 11 12 05:18 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
ChaiNoir
Posts: 345
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia


Greg Holt Photography wrote:
Last year I got a Breville Ikon multi Speed juice fountain. Its a bit pricey $199  but works extremely well, built for daily use, easy to clean, and gets every drop of juice out of the fruit or vegetable. The pulp comes out dry.

I have spent over $1000 on my juicers - But I use them for everything! I am a semi raw foodist and so its bascialy my kitchen and * COOKING * appliance in one smile

Save up a little here and there over a year and you can get an excellent juicer. Cold press juicers are the way to go - centrifrugal juicers produce heat and so you endup with tepid warm juice and loose allot of nutrient due to the friction.

Nov 11 12 05:25 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
ChaiNoir
Posts: 345
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia


modeled wrote:
^Blending beauty right there... I want one!


How do you make crackers with pulp?

I have a large commercial size Dehydrator - I have the temp set very very low ( Semi Raw foodist so no strong heat used for my foods ) - I add herbs and spices and pop onto a round circular sheet and flip every few hours.

I'll get some picies big_smile

Nov 11 12 05:29 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Koryn
Posts: 36,360
Boston, Massachusetts, US


NothingIsRealButTheGirl wrote:
Don't drink your carbs!

That's more applicable to people who want/need to lose fat, or also eat a lot of  breads and cooked starches.

If you don't eat a conventional diet, or a "standard American diet," anyway it's a whole different beast, and depends on what your diet looks like as a whole.

Since I've been interacting with people as personal trainer, I'm learning a lot more about the average Americans' eating habits, since they talk to me about what, and when they eat.  I'm starting to see more and more how the "common sense rules" about healthy eating often do not apply at all to people who aren't eating crap to start with, or people who eat a somewhat unique/specialized diet regularly.

Standard American eating is actually far worse than I ever even imagined it was, before starting work in the fitness industry. I figured that most people at least eat a couple vegetables every day ... not really. A huge portion of American women just barely eat enough calories to keep themselves alive, and will still be much larger than is healthy, because their bodies are starving and storing every single calorie as fat. It's appalling how people eat in this country, like absolutely appalling.

Nov 12 12 08:56 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Mike Collins
Posts: 1,830
Orlando, Florida, US


I was pretty skeptical at first but I bought the Nutribullet and was amazed how much easier and IMO, better than juicing.  You loose all the fiber if your like most and throw away the pulp when juicing.  And what a pain to clean.  Take it all apart.  Clean each piece. let it all dry.  Put it back together agian.  Ugh!

The NB is like a cheaper Vitimix @ just $99 and extracts foods near the same quality.  Just add some spinach, some strawberries, grapes, some flax seeds and a little water and you got a very healthy smoothie that tastes great!  Tons of other combos to try as well.  And what you blend it with can serve as the glass you drink from as well.  NO cleanup except cleaning the glass when your done.

I'll never juice again.  Too messy and not as healthy.  IMHO.
Nov 12 12 11:45 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Koryn
Posts: 36,360
Boston, Massachusetts, US


Mike Collins wrote:
I was pretty skeptical at first but I bought the Nutribullet and was amazed how much easier and IMO, better than juicing.  You loose all the fiber if your like most and throw away the pulp when juicing.  And what a pain to clean.  Take it all apart.  Clean each piece. let it all dry.  Put it back together agian.  Ugh!

The NB is like a cheaper Vitimix @ just $99 and extracts foods near the same quality.  Just add some spinach, some strawberries, grapes, some flax seeds and a little water and you got a very healthy smoothie that tastes great!  Tons of other combos to try as well.  And what you blend it with can serve as the glass you drink from as well.  NO cleanup except cleaning the glass when your done.

I'll never juice again.  Too messy and not as healthy.  IMHO.

I have a nice blender, and use it every day, sometimes multiple times per day. I still juice regularly.

Juicing allows you to consume enormous amounts of greens, amounts which would be very difficult to ingest pureeing them into smoothies.

Nov 12 12 02:43 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Naughty Ties
Posts: 3,127
Riverview, Florida, US


I juiced a ham yesterday and a half pound of bacon this morning and it was awesome!
Nov 12 12 02:46 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Damon Banner
Posts: 85,298
Hayward, California, US


makes my testes shrin..

oh wait, you mean something else.






no, I don't juice daily.  I do try to drink at least one smoothie (homemade) daily

The last thing I juiced was like 10lbs of apples to make cider.  It was delicious
Nov 12 12 02:55 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
modeled
Posts: 9,334
San Diego, California, US


What if people took their alcohol budget and instead spent it on a nice juicer and fresh vegetables each week for juicing, etc?  That would be a big improvement in ones life I would think smile
Nov 14 12 08:20 am  Link  Quote 
Model
DarcieK
Posts: 10,874
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada


I asked my mom for a juicer for Christmas. I'm crossing my fingers. I like my Mini Nutribullet for smoothies. But, I am not good at getting all my greens and what not in.
Nov 14 12 10:01 am  Link  Quote 
Model
modeled
Posts: 9,334
San Diego, California, US


DarcieK wrote:
I asked my mom for a juicer for Christmas. I'm crossing my fingers. I like my Mini Nutribullet for smoothies. But, I am not good at getting all my greens and what not in.

niiiice, hope you get one.   actually now i want a new juicer for christmas tongue

Nov 14 12 11:34 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Damon Banner
Posts: 85,298
Hayward, California, US


modeled wrote:

niiiice, hope you get one.   actually now i want a new juicer for christmas tongue

I just saw a juicer in one of the black friday ads I was looking at. 

LOTS of blenders

Nov 14 12 11:45 am  Link  Quote 
Model
DarcieK
Posts: 10,874
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada


modeled wrote:

niiiice, hope you get one.   actually now i want a new juicer for christmas tongue

Me too!

I just found a 30 day of juicing recipe book. I may go broke from buying all these different fruits and vegetables. lol

Nov 14 12 11:48 am  Link  Quote 
Model
modeled
Posts: 9,334
San Diego, California, US


DarcieK wrote:

Me too!

I just found a 30 day of juicing recipe book. I may go broke from buying all these different fruits and vegetables. lol

farmers market is your best bet.  also, i recommend putting spinach in a zip lock bag, it keeps longer, at least it does here in humid FL.

Nov 14 12 12:02 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
DarcieK
Posts: 10,874
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada


modeled wrote:

farmers market is your best bet.  also, i recommend putting spinach in a zip lock bag, it keeps longer, at least it does here in humid FL.

I'd have to wait til summer for a Farmer's Market now since they are outside and there is 2 feet of snow on the ground.

Nov 14 12 01:22 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Orca Bay Images
Posts: 32,233
Lodi, California, US


I juiced once. I was cutting weight for wrestling and went on an unsweetened grapefruit juice diet.

Never never NEVER trust a fart when you're on a grapefruit juice diet.

I guess you could say I juiced twice.



I mostly prefer to take my fruits and veggies in their whole form. Roughage good!
Nov 14 12 05:00 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
D M E C K E R T
Posts: 4,786
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


i'd juice all the time if i didn't have to clean the goddamn thing. fuck.

for what it's worth...before my juiceman died...i did try the "fat, sick, and nearly dead" green juice for a bit. not so tasty. but really effective. lost weight at a pretty fast rate and felt invincible. alas, the juicer was ancient, and kale is a bitch, and the whole thing lasted like 10 days.
Nov 14 12 07:00 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Koryn
Posts: 36,360
Boston, Massachusetts, US


D M E C K E R T wrote:
i'd juice all the time if i didn't have to clean the goddamn thing. fuck.

for what it's worth...before my juiceman died...i did try the "fat, sick, and nearly dead" green juice for a bit. not so tasty. but really effective. lost weight at a pretty fast rate and felt invincible. alas, the juicer was ancient, and kale is a bitch, and the whole thing lasted like 10 days.

I tried juice "feasting" but find it virtually impossible, because by the end of the first day, all I want is something the CHEW on. It's not even that I'm hungry; it's like my jaw is addicted to chewing and starts withdrawals around 7:30pm.

Nov 14 12 07:10 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
modeled
Posts: 9,334
San Diego, California, US


I don't know exactly what "juice feasting" is but I bet it's extreme.  All things in moderation applies to juicing I feel.


Thanks to some of the ideas in this thread I've been re-juicing the pulp right after it accumulates, 3 times!  I wasn't surprised that more juice was created, but I would not have thought to do it otherwise, thanks! smile
Nov 16 12 03:53 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
ChaiNoir
Posts: 345
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia


ShivaKitty wrote:
I tried juice "feasting" but find it virtually impossible, because by the end of the first day, all I want is something the CHEW on. It's not even that I'm hungry; it's like my jaw is addicted to chewing and starts withdrawals around 7:30pm.

My longest juice fast was 6 weeks , I had been in hospital for a very serious condition and after loading my body with Medications I need to refresh my system and it worked a treat. I usualy juice fast for atleast 4 weeks solid at a time but have now begun juice fasting 4 days a week. I feel super!!

Nov 19 12 05:49 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Koryn
Posts: 36,360
Boston, Massachusetts, US


modeled wrote:
I don't know exactly what "juice feasting" is but I bet it's extreme.  All things in moderation applies to juicing I feel.

Going for a few or more days, consuming primarily juices and smoothies (some people also include healthy fats, such as virgin coconut butter). You are consuming LARGE amounts of those things, so basic caloric needs are met.

I'm sure it's probably a nice experience for people who enjoy it. I enjoy textures and chewing foods too much for it to work for me. I never felt hungry, just missed chewing --- desperately.

Nov 19 12 07:11 am  Link  Quote 
12last   Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers