login info join!
Forums > Critique > Downsizing my port. Which photos suck? Search   Reply
Model
BrittneyBee
Posts: 213
Arvada, Colorado, US


I have cancelled my VIP subscription and would like to cut my port down to 20-30 photos. I would greatly appreciate any opinions on which photo(s) should go!

Thanks a bunch smile
Nov 13 12 09:53 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Farenell Photography
Posts: 17,902
Albany, New York, US


I wouldn't say your stuff "sucks" by any stretch of the imagination. But it could use a good culling based on many of your shots showing the say basic thing.

I get you've done some commercial model. Pick one & ditch the rest:

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/111219/17/4eefe3273324b.jpg http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/111121/17/4ecaff1b7d5be.jpg http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120823/11/50367097dec72.jpg http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120823/11/5036709ae5a83.jpg http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120823/11/5036700fb964b.jpg http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120823/11/503670964db3e.jpg http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120823/11/503670995f2ca.jpg http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120823/11/503670948c866.jpg
Nov 13 12 10:07 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Fleming Design
Posts: 1,070
Hartford, Connecticut, US


Op, you have so much redundancy in your 96 shots that I am sure you can delete the first 40-50 all by yourself before it starts to become difficult to make decisions.  You just have to get to it.
Nov 13 12 11:06 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Orca Bay Images
Posts: 32,233
Lodi, California, US


For starters, consider dumping:

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/26304466
Duplicates, but neither version is at all compelling or interesting.

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/26304466
Actually, any of that first row that are related to the tearsheets at the bottom of the general port.

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/25775791
You're buried in the artsy-fartsiness and in a most unflattering way.

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/21328589
Boring.

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/20169505
The picture is about the makeup.

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/16375724
Godawful hair and makeup. Horribly unflattering look for you.

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/27050082
Awful makeup, bad expression and pose.

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/29666565
Terrible snapshot.

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/20791625
No. Just no.

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/19668071
Way too bright to the point of blowout.

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/18074234
Oh, the horror...

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/22148923
So much wrong with this one.

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/20169597
Bright/blown-out. You're buried in hairstyle and wardrobe. Very unflattering.

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/24961501
This might help a photographer's port. Not a model's.

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/24961502
Bad angle. Don't wanna see the top of your head and out-of-focus legs.

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/21627143
Badly overprocessed.
Nov 13 12 12:22 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
BrittneyBee
Posts: 213
Arvada, Colorado, US


Awesome, thanks for the input! I agree.

Farenell Photography wrote:
I wouldn't say your stuff "sucks" by any stretch of the imagination. But it could use a good culling based on many of your shots showing the say basic thing.

I get you've done some commercial llama. Pick one
Nov 13 12 12:53 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
BrittneyBee
Posts: 213
Arvada, Colorado, US


Yes, after going on instinct, it is a lot easier. Thank ya!

Fleming Design wrote:
Op, you have so much redundancy in your 96 shots that I am sure you can delete the first 40-50 all by yourself before it starts to become difficult to make decisions.  You just have to get to it.

Nov 13 12 12:53 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
BrittneyBee
Posts: 213
Arvada, Colorado, US


I agree with a couple of your suggestions, so thanks. Some harsh words there though! haha. No worries.


Orca Bay Images wrote:
For starters, consider dumping:

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/26304466
Duplicates, but neither version is at all compelling or interesting.

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/26304466
Actually, any of that first row that are related to the tearsheets at the bottom of the general port.

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/25775791
You're buried in the artsy-fartsiness and in a most unflattering way.

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/21328589
Boring.

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/20169505
The picture is about the makeup.

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/16375724
Godawful hair and makeup. Horribly unflattering look for you.

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/27050082
Awful makeup, bad expression and pose.

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/29666565
Terrible snapshot.

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/20791625
No. Just no.

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/19668071
Way too bright to the point of blowout.

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/18074234
Oh, the horror...

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/22148923
So much wrong with this one.

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/20169597
Bright/blown-out. You're buried in hairstyle and wardrobe. Very unflattering.

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/24961501
This might help a photographer's port. Not a model's.

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/24961502
Bad angle. Don't wanna see the top of your head and out-of-focus legs.

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/21627143
Badly overprocessed.

Nov 13 12 12:55 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Noodz by TC
Posts: 108
Los Angeles, California, US


Nov 13 12 01:12 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Orca Bay Images
Posts: 32,233
Lodi, California, US


BrittneyBee wrote:
Some harsh words there though! haha.

You asked which images sucked. I calls 'em like I sees 'em and when I'm giving feedback on that many images I cut to the chase.

If you'd asked which are your best images I'd likely wax poetic. You're very pretty and you have some excellent work.

Nov 13 12 01:21 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Fleming Design
Posts: 1,070
Hartford, Connecticut, US


Come on BB, you deleted 25 shots and it didn't kill you. Take a deep breath and slash another 25! Get down to your goal of 20-30 and you will have a strong, tight portfolio.  You can do it.
Nov 14 12 12:15 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Orca Bay Images
Posts: 32,233
Lodi, California, US


Major suckage is still there. Take Fleming's advice and keep whittling. The next to go:

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/100211/19/4b74c88423df1_m.jpg
Terribly unflattering hair and awful makeup.

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120823/13/5036911ad0999_m.jpg
The image is soft and badly composed. Too much dead space above you and your hand is chopped off. Bad snapshot.

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110917/12/4e74f50151e5d_m.jpg
Top of your head is in focus. The rest of you is not. And then there are those oversized fake eyelashes. If you want to keep a shot with something close to this angle, you've got the one of you at the edge of the swimming pool. That's a well done shot.
Nov 15 12 06:01 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Trialsinner
Posts: 151
Somerville, Massachusetts, US


Not a useful comment, but you actually do look notably great in hats and sweaters.
Nov 15 12 07:08 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
HalfMoonColorado
Posts: 736
Greenwood Village, Colorado, US


I was going to tell you to keep the ones I shoot and pitch the rest but see I'm not there anyway.

I have a terrible time deciding who my favorite "children" are but started grouping like shots together. Start with two pics and decide which one you like best of that two. Then keep going with three piles. Keepers, maybes, nopes. Once you have sorted all your like style groups lay out all the keepers. If you need to go back to the maybes to fill in gaps.

Russ
Nov 15 12 07:58 am  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers