login info join!
Forums > Critique > TF worthy? Search   Reply
Photographer
Nate Miller
Posts: 21
Warrensburg, Missouri, US


I do mostly TF work and I get a lot of request from TF models who "really want to do a shoot with me" only to have them flake after I've put a lot of effort into prepping the shoot.  My question is this.

Does my portfolio make you want to TF with me?  Why or why not? 

I'll admit I'm planning on updating my port soon but what is there is pretty indicative of my work.
Nov 15 12 12:44 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Julia Francesca
Posts: 2,304
Maumee, Ohio, US


MEE! 

love your work!

and i don't flake. lol. big_smile
Nov 15 12 12:48 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Second Nature Photos
Posts: 52
Murfreesboro, Tennessee, US


This is just my opinion, but when I'm setting up a shoot with a model, especially a TF one, I like to get the energy going before we even meet. I find if you get people excited about an idea they are much more willing to commit to it.

Also, getting input from the models seems to do wonders. Once they feel they really have a hand in the shoot they perform so much better, and I love that. Not to mention you get their feedback, which can be vital. Think about it from their perspective. How would you feel if you showed up to a photoshoot, had someone tell you exactly what to wear, how to act, and how to pose? You wouldn't feel like you'd done anything at all.

My final piece of advice I got from a psychology class. It's used by salesmen, public speakers, telemarkets, etc. It's called the "foot in the door" technique. Basically you get someone to do a small favor for you (ex. sending a picture of their current hair do) and then asking them to do a little more (meeting up/calling you to discuss the details of the shoot) until eventually you ask them for what you really want (coming to the photo shoot). I know it sounds a little mindcontrol-y but like I said, people have been using it for decades. The more effort you've put into something already, the more likely you are to keep putting effort into it.
Nov 15 12 01:18 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
E H
Posts: 475
Calgary, Alberta, Canada


Yes, llamas should work with you. As for the flaking,,, book 2-3 that day for the same shoot. That way you'll get your shoot done that you perpared for, take the best... and have a one flake rule so you never have to work with them again....
Nov 15 12 01:26 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Harold Rose
Posts: 2,925
Calhoun, Georgia, US


Nate Miller wrote:
I do mostly TF work and I get a lot of request from TF models who "really want to do a shoot with me" only to have them flake after I've put a lot of effort into prepping the shoot.  My question is this.

Does my portfolio make you want to TF with me?  Why or why not? 

I'll admit I'm planning on updating my port soon but what is there is pretty indicative of my work.

OK here are my thoughts:    Where is your market??    Who would buy what you shoot..   Most madels that shoot for  portfolio photos,   look for something that will lead to  Commercial work..     I see your work too extreme to be something that will fit into the commercial,  paying field..

Look at each photo and say to yourself..    Who would pay for this,   and WHY..

Nov 15 12 01:32 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Orca Bay Images
Posts: 31,679
Lodi, California, US


E H wrote:
Yes, models should work with you. As for the flaking,,, book 2-3 that day for the same shoot. That way you'll get your shoot done that you perpared for, take the best... and have a one flake rule so you never have to work with them again....

That.

Those models who flaked on you were complete idiots. Your work is amazing.

Nov 15 12 01:32 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DavidCoward Photography
Posts: 629
Sandy Springs, Georgia, US


Indiesent Exposure wrote:
My final piece of advice I got from a psychology class. It's used by salesmen, public speakers, telemarkets, etc. It's called the "foot in the door" technique. Basically you get someone to do a small favor for you (ex. sending a picture of their current hair do) and then asking them to do a little more (meeting up/calling you to discuss the details of the shoot) until eventually you ask them for what you really want (coming to the photo shoot). I know it sounds a little mindcontrol-y but like I said, people have been using it for decades. The more effort you've put into something already, the more likely you are to keep putting effort into it.

This is why psychology professors make lousy salesmen. I've been in sales for over 30 years and never resorted to a gradual intrusion into someone's life. The photographer is selling a product: photographs. Like a salesman, he has to convince the customer (the model) that she needs his product. That's it. Who would want to work with someone with a telemarketer approach??

Nov 15 12 01:44 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DavidCoward Photography
Posts: 629
Sandy Springs, Georgia, US


To the OP:

I'm not a model, so I couldn't say if I would shoot TF with you. I'm not even that experienced as a photographer.

But I can tell you this: I've seen a LOt (!) of models on MM who could really benefit from a shoot with you. Your work would definitely take their portfolio to the next level.

Just my two hundredths of a dollar.
Nov 15 12 01:50 am  Link  Quote 
Model
_ Robyn Elizabeth _
Posts: 436
London, England, United Kingdom


Hell Yeah,

Your work is excellent.  Sadly you are on the wrong continent for me but otherwise I would love to do TF with you.  Those models are idiots for flaking on you.
Nov 15 12 01:56 am  Link  Quote 
Model
angel emily
Posts: 1,020
Boston, Massachusetts, US


No, because your profile says you're a "fashion" photographer and your portfolio is full of images I could never give to my agency and don't especially look like fashion to me.  To me it looks like you shoot thematic character shots; if I were a stage actor, I might want to get my character shot by you.

The alternative stuff has a market -- just not for me.
Nov 15 12 04:19 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Lorayne York
Posts: 2,117
Manhattan, Kansas, US


No.

Our styles are way different. i'm also not a fan of over the top studio decor. but i'm sure there are lots of models who would enjoy working with you. i dont see why models flake.

if you were to show me different locations with consistent 'good' captures, i would trade with you.
Nov 15 12 04:34 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Nate Miller
Posts: 21
Warrensburg, Missouri, US


model emily  wrote:
No, because your profile says you're a "fashion" photographer and your portfolio is full of images I could never give to my agency and don't especially look like fashion to me.  To me it looks like you shoot thematic character shots; if I were a stage actor, I might want to get my character shot by you.

The alternative stuff has a market -- just not for me.

Yup I've been intending on changing that.  My MM port has drifted in a more thematic direction.  Mostly because that is what gets me the most feedback.  I have some more fashion type stuff in other online ports but it's fairly alternative oriented just not as thematic.  Thanks for the feedback!

Nov 15 12 04:35 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Lee_Photography
Posts: 8,287
Minneapolis, Minnesota, US


http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110330/22/4d941816f1964_m.jpg
If you shoot this quality and higher yes

Suggestion, move away from the back wall or use a shallower depth of field or both so wrinkles in background do not show
Nov 15 12 07:42 am  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers