login info join!
Forums > Model Colloquy > Is the cost of a petite too much? Search   Reply
first3456
Model
Kaley King
Posts: 1,027
Jefferson City, Missouri, US


Kinda missed the fact that you have 12 tats too....yikes...
Nov 23 12 09:13 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Rachael Bueckert
Posts: 1,121
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada


Anna Adrielle wrote:

I never said you were a bitch, I say you come across as a robot (obviously not literally) when you talk like this. It comes across as fake. And you just gave me the perfect example, again.

you say I called you a bitch (which I didn't). If someone really calls you a bitch and you respond in this superpolite manner, it comes off unreal. In real life you'd never say
"thank you for your suggestion that I am a robotic bitch. Bless your kind heart" without being mentally ill or seriously sarcastic. yet somehow you think that it comes across as "real person" and "polite". I'm just saying that is not how it comes across, and obviously not just to me but to others as well. I don't see why you would want to come across like it instead of wanting to work on it?
Anyway, it was just a suggestion, I'm sure you'll thank me for it and continue what you're doing, but at least somehow said it, so there.

Exactly. To be blunt, you come off as unlikable, passive aggressive, incredibly sarcastic (in the bad way, not the funny witty way), wrongfully egotistical ect ect. And for the record, at the time I had posted my last post, your profile was still in third person (I had checked) and you were still refusing ti change it because you could not see past your own arrogance to see peoples advice. Youve since gone back on that thinking, so congratulations. But anyway, perhaps it is for the way you present yourself, as listed in my first sentence, that you are having trouble finding work.
Well, all the best I guess, may your life be filled with luppies and rainbows. And I thank you profusely for giving me the priviledge of speaking with you.

Nov 24 12 09:27 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
WIP
Posts: 15,363
Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom


Is the cost of a petite too much? models should give a discount per inch under that 5' 7" height.
Nov 24 12 09:52 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
AJScalzitti
Posts: 12,494
Atlanta, Georgia, US


c_h_r_i_s wrote:
Is the cost of a petite too much? models should give a discount per inch under that 5' 7" height.

5'9"

Nov 24 12 10:02 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
WIP
Posts: 15,363
Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom


AJScalzitti wrote:

5'9"

Even better.

Nov 24 12 10:07 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Melodye Joy
Posts: 542
Rancho Cucamonga, California, US


Jolly Rauncher wrote:

I don't think you're disrespectful, I think you've just been politely declining any factual information that isn't what you want to hear.

You're correct, modeling is difficult and enjoyable- I found out more about myself and gained a lot of self confidence I may not have otherwise found, but that hasn't warped my views on reality either.

You're short darlin', face it. You won't be on any New York runways wearing Dior dresses any time soon. It's ok that you don't want to conflict with your faith, but you can't expect the whole industry to bend just for you instead of the other way around because it simply will not.

If bending your terms isn't something you're interested in and yet you still want to make decent money, maybe modeling isn't for you. At least not in the genres you've chosen. Nobody is pushing you to model in a genre you don't want to participate in, we're just telling you that's where you can expect the biggest payout.

Jolly,
I never said I need to walk a NY runway or a runway at all. If the opportunity came, great. Did I even mention I had to be paid the biggest payout? No.
I understand that implied/nude is the biggest payout for short/petite models, alternative models with tattoos, ect. And thats alright. It's just not something I care to do.

If I make it at all, I will be doing beauty, parts, or creative modeling (body paint), but I won't be taking on roles that contradict my faith or my standards.

And again, I have taken on many suggestions and changed up the old port and photos. If you all still feel my portrayal of myself isn't professional, or isn't correct, that's okay..we just won't ever collaborate. No skin off my back.

Thanks!

Nov 24 12 06:33 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Melodye Joy
Posts: 542
Rancho Cucamonga, California, US


MelissaAnn  wrote:

She didn't say you *were* a bitch or a robot, she said you're coming off that way in this thread.  And you're still doing it. 

I agree with her, and if you don't mind coming off that way, by all means, keep doing exactly what you're doing.  It seems to be working so well for you.

Thanks, Melissa. It is working well for me, being myself. smile

Nov 24 12 06:34 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Melodye Joy
Posts: 542
Rancho Cucamonga, California, US


Anna Adrielle wrote:

I never said you were a bitch, I say you come across as a robot (obviously not literally) when you talk like this. It comes across as fake. And you just gave me the perfect example, again.

you say I called you a bitch (which I didn't). If someone really calls you a bitch and you respond in this superpolite manner, it comes off unreal. In real life you'd never say
"thank you for your suggestion that I am a robotic bitch. Bless your kind heart" without being mentally ill or seriously sarcastic. yet somehow you think that it comes across as "real person" and "polite". I'm just saying that is not how it comes across, and obviously not just to me but to others as well. I don't see why you would want to come across like it instead of wanting to work on it?
Anyway, it was just a suggestion, I'm sure you'll thank me for it and continue what you're doing, but at least somehow said it, so there.

No, you didn't Anna. But "coming off as a bitch" is something I have heard in past, when I was simply being myself. Didn't mean that you in particular had ever said that. Sorry if that's what you thought.

Nov 24 12 06:35 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Melodye Joy
Posts: 542
Rancho Cucamonga, California, US


La Lana  wrote:
Kinda missed the fact that you have 12 tats too....yikes...

Yes, La
I do have 12 tattoos, but all are small enough to photoshop or cover...depending on what the artist prefers.

Nov 24 12 06:36 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Melodye Joy
Posts: 542
Rancho Cucamonga, California, US


Rachael Bueckert wrote:

Exactly. To be blunt, you come off as unlikable, passive aggressive, incredibly sarcastic (in the bad way, not the funny witty way), wrongfully egotistical ect ect. And for the record, at the time I had posted my last post, your profile was still in third person (I had checked) and you were still refusing ti change it because you could not see past your own arrogance to see peoples advice. Youve since gone back on that thinking, so congratulations. But anyway, perhaps it is for the way you present yourself, as listed in my first sentence, that you are having trouble finding work.
Well, all the best I guess, may your life be filled with luppies and rainbows. And I thank you profusely for giving me the priviledge of speaking with you.

You or someone else doesn't like me Rachael, thats fine.
No one has to like me, professionally or personally.
If I am egotistical, passive aggressive, or sarcastic? Nope. None of the above. I have faith and standards that I keep. I do take critique and make use of suggestions best as I can, but perhaps I have not implemented them enough.
God bless you and everyone else for their critique, suggestions, information and bless you all in your endeavors. All my question(s) were answered quite some time ago. smile

Nov 24 12 06:42 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Mary Geraldine
Posts: 1,696
Valdese, North Carolina, US


It's unrealistic for you to expect a photographer to not only overlook/work around SO MANY faults (age, height, limits, portfolio, tattoos, attitude, etc) but to expect them to PAY YOU for a full day worth of said inconveniences.
Nov 24 12 06:42 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Melodye Joy
Posts: 542
Rancho Cucamonga, California, US


c_h_r_i_s wrote:
Is the cost of a petite too much? models should give a discount per inch under that 5' 7" height.

haha. Interesting idea, for sure, Chris.

Nov 24 12 06:44 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Good Egg Productions
Posts: 15,212
Orlando, Florida, US


Mary Geraldine wrote:
It's unrealistic for you to expect a photographer to not only overlook/work around SO MANY faults (age, height, limits, portfolio, tattoos, attitude, etc) but to expect them to PAY YOU for a full day worth of said inconveniences.

As harsh as this advice is, it's quite accurate.

Nov 24 12 06:45 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Melodye Joy
Posts: 542
Rancho Cucamonga, California, US


Mary Geraldine wrote:
It's unrealistic for you to expect a photographer to not only overlook/work around SO MANY faults (age, height, limits, portfolio, tattoos, attitude, etc) but to expect them to PAY YOU for a full day worth of said inconveniences.

Hi Mary,
I don't expect anyone, photographer or stylist, to pay me for anything but my upmost professionalism and the work in which I perform (beauty, creative *body paint*, parts).

If my professionalism is a fault, an inconvenience..then let it be so.

Nov 24 12 06:47 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Mary Geraldine
Posts: 1,696
Valdese, North Carolina, US


Melodye Joy wrote:
Hi Mary,
I don't expect anyone, photographer or stylist, to pay me for anything but my upmost professionalism and the work in which I perform (beauty, creative *body paint*, parts).

If my professionalism is a fault, an inconvenience..then let it be so.

But they could pay someone younger, taller, with an insane strong portfolio, no body art, no limits on nudes, etc and receive the same professionalism. Hell they could probably book said model for trade depending on their own skills. So what do you have to offer? Why should they choose to book you over her? and for an entire day?

Edit this is a rhetorical question for you to take into consideration. I'm not really looking for an answer.

Nov 24 12 06:51 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Melodye Joy
Posts: 542
Rancho Cucamonga, California, US


Good Egg Productions wrote:

As harsh as this advice is, it's quite accurate.

Everything but the attitude, yes, Good Egg. I do have many faults and to note Mary as well, I expect no full days pay for my work. Opportunity varies, could be a few hours, could be a day. And wages may vary as well. smile

Nov 24 12 06:51 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Melodye Joy
Posts: 542
Rancho Cucamonga, California, US


Mary Geraldine wrote:

But they could pay someone younger, taller, with an insane strong portfolio, no body art, no limits on nudes, etc and receive the same professionalism. Hell they could probably book said model for trade depending on their own skills. So what do you have to offer? Why should they choose to book you over her? and for an entire day?

Mary,
That is their decision. And I won't bend for nudes, so, no need to make an example of this at all.

If the opportunity arose for myself, then an artist will get a professional with an extensive background in various types of modeling, eager to learn further, one that can make suggestions or try something new if asked for her opinion(s), one that will push her limits but not her boundaries...

Nov 24 12 06:56 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Mary Geraldine
Posts: 1,696
Valdese, North Carolina, US


I'm beginning to wonder if English is your first language. It doesn't seem like you comprehend what anyone in this thread is saying. You asked a question and you have spent the rest of the thread arguing with a lot of fine advice.

And since you didn't post this in the "critique" section, this is the last thing I can say in response to your thread.

YES your rates are too high.
NO MATTER WHAT THEY ARE, THEY ARE TOO HIGH.
Nov 24 12 06:59 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Melodye Joy
Posts: 542
Rancho Cucamonga, California, US


Mary Geraldine wrote:
I'm beginning to wonder if English is your first language. It doesn't seem like you comprehend what anyone in this thread is saying. You asked a question and you have spent the rest of the thread arguing with a lot of fine advice.

And since you didn't post this in the "critique" section, this is the last thing I can say in response to your thread.

YES your rates are too high.
NO MATTER WHAT THEY ARE, THEY ARE TOO HIGH.

Mary,
My rates are no longer posted and they vary by inquiry, but thank you.
And question was answered and I got some awesome suggestions, critique and information. Thanks!

Nov 24 12 09:14 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Innovative Imagery
Posts: 2,815
Los Angeles, California, US


As of NOW - 11/25/12 -  THIS is still in the third person.

Status Update
I was formally residing in Rancho Cucamonga/Inland Empire area. I have just recently moved. Thanks! 11/22/12

Bio
Melodye Joy began her journey as a model at 16, but she didn't know that at the time. Upon a birthday surprise of having glamor shots made, the photographer and stylist mentioned how photogenic she was. What a kind complement!
She and her mother shrugged it off and went about their day...

Fast forward to 2007, and Melodye had moved to the Los Angeles area.

Struggling to find something to fill her days not at the retail shop she worked in, a friend suggested modeling.  At 5'2" and less then 100 pounds wet, Melodye just rolled her eyes and laughed off her friends out of this world suggestion.

Who would want to have a petite model, with freckles and split front teeth?

Apparently quite a few designers and photographers dared to take on this skinny minnie.
Having worked with the likes of local and national designers, photographers and more the only way from here is UP.

It is now 2012 and to this day she is constantly changing, learning and finding her way in this business of modeling.
Nov 25 12 03:10 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
In Balance Photography
Posts: 3,370
Boston, Massachusetts, US


Melodye Joy wrote:

Hi Mary,
I don't expect anyone, photographer or stylist, to pay me for anything but my upmost professionalism and the work in which I perform (beauty, creative *body paint*, parts).

If my professionalism is a fault, an inconvenience..then let it be so.

What exactly are the elements of your professionalism?

Nov 25 12 04:11 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Photographe
Posts: 2,350
Bristol, England, United Kingdom


It's tedious when an OP changes.

I know have to sit through 5 pages to find exactly what was the numerical figure that caused the comment "ridiculously high rates", otherwise this thread is pretty meaningless for anyone trying to learn anything and I'm just trawling through the usual "I never said you were a bitch" type of post.
Nov 25 12 04:36 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
B R U N E S C I
Posts: 25,319
Bath, England, United Kingdom


Rollo David Snook wrote:
It's tedious when an OP changes.

I know have to sit through 5 pages to find exactly what was the numerical figure that caused the comment "ridiculously high rates", otherwise this thread is pretty meaningless for anyone trying to learn anything and I'm just trawling through the usual "I never said you were a bitch" type of post.

I think it was something like $600 for a day with no option for less than a day! wink

Good to see the OP has finally seen the light on that and a few other issues now though.




Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Nov 25 12 05:41 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Melodye Joy
Posts: 542
Rancho Cucamonga, California, US


Innovative Imagery wrote:
As of NOW - 11/25/12 -  THIS is still in the third person.

Status Update
I was formally residing in Rancho Cucamonga/Inland Empire area. I have just recently moved. Thanks! 11/22/12

Bio
Melodye Joy began her journey as a llama at 16, but she didn't know that at the time. Upon a birthday surprise of having glamor shots made, the photographer and stylist mentioned how photogenic she was. What a kind complement!
She and her mother shrugged it off and went about their day...

Fast forward to 2007, and Melodye had moved to the Los Angeles area.

Struggling to find something to fill her days not at the retail shop she worked in, a friend suggested llamaing.  At 5'2" and less then 100 pounds wet, Melodye just rolled her eyes and laughed off her friends out of this world suggestion.

Who would want to have a petite llama, with freckles and split front teeth?

Apparently quite a few designers and photographers dared to take on this skinny minnie.
Having worked with the likes of local and national designers, photographers and more the only way from here is UP.

It is now 2012 and to this day she is constantly changing, learning and finding her way in this business of llamaing.

Yes, thank you for that Innovative. As I used the same biography from the official site, not written by me, to best describe myself.

Thanks for noticing that.

This thread is done

Nov 28 12 11:00 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Melodye Joy
Posts: 542
Rancho Cucamonga, California, US


In Balance Photography wrote:

What exactly are the elements of your professionalism?

Many elements are involved, In Balance.

-Preparing soon as the possibility of a shoot arises, whither that includes choosing clothing, booking an MUA/Hair, getting my hair or nails tidied

-Being on time
-Bringing more than what may be needed, as backup/extra (clothing, makeup, accesories)
-Taking direction without remark
-Pushing myself but not my boundaries
-Giving suggestion when asked for or of my opinion
-Keeping my cool, even when there are issues (example; someone flakes)

Professionalism comes in many forms, depends on what your specifications or personal views of professionalism are.

Nov 28 12 11:05 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Melodye Joy
Posts: 542
Rancho Cucamonga, California, US


Rollo David Snook wrote:
It's tedious when an OP changes.

I know have to sit through 5 pages to find exactly what was the numerical figure that caused the comment "ridiculously high rates", otherwise this thread is pretty meaningless for anyone trying to learn anything and I'm just trawling through the usual "I never said you were a bitch" type of post.

Yes, Rollo, it is quite apparent that this thread is meaningless.

I asked what my rates should be, if they are too high, and I got the answers some time back.

I also got some great suggestions and I implemented some to better improve my portfolio. No need for anyone to read or critique further I suppose.

Nov 28 12 11:07 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Melodye Joy
Posts: 542
Rancho Cucamonga, California, US


-B-R-U-N-E-S-C-I- wrote:

I think it was something like $600 for a day with no option for less than a day! wink

Good to see the OP has finally seen the light on that and a few other issues now though.




Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Stefano,
My only rate at $600 was for nudes, which I don't care to do..therefore...an erroneous amount and day rate only was posted.

Other rates for portfolio, editorial were smaller in portion, but I did post day rates only.

This has all since been changed to a basic rate of $25 per hour, discluding nudes.

Nov 28 12 11:10 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Anna Adrielle
Posts: 18,762
Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium


Melodye Joy wrote:

No, you didn't Anna. But "coming off as a bitch" is something I have heard in past, when I was simply being myself. Didn't mean that you in particular had ever said that. Sorry if that's what you thought.

well, I certainly believe you're not purposely trying to be bitchy. But that still doesn't mean that is not how your behavior is interpreted. And by different people in different circumstances from different parts of the world...
Just saying, that's something you could change just by making some minor changes in the way you communicate. Communication is not just what you are sending out; it's also how it is received by others, right? And if they're receiving it as "bitchy", then maybe you'd like to look into that?

Nov 28 12 12:55 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Sabine Luise
Posts: 890
Boston, Massachusetts, US


-B-R-U-N-E-S-C-I- wrote:

I've never paid any model, either from an agency (top 10 London agencies) or from here on MM with anything other than images (test/TFP).

That's not a boast, just a statement of fact to help you see that photographers have little need to pay 5'2" unsigned models for anything, let alone clothed work.



Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Interesting. I learned something new today.

Nov 29 12 01:58 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Sabine Luise
Posts: 890
Boston, Massachusetts, US


Rollo David Snook wrote:
It's tedious when an OP changes.

I know have to sit through 5 pages to find exactly what was the numerical figure that caused the comment "ridiculously high rates", otherwise this thread is pretty meaningless for anyone trying to learn anything and I'm just trawling through the usual "I never said you were a bitch" type of post.
Melodye Joy wrote:
Jolly,
I never said I need to walk a NY runway or a runway at all. If the opportunity came, great. Did I even mention I had to be paid the biggest payout? No.
I understand that implied/nude is the biggest payout for short/petite models, alternative models with tattoos, ect. And thats alright. It's just not something I care to do.

If I make it at all, I will be doing beauty, parts, or creative modeling (body paint), but I won't be taking on roles that contradict my faith or my standards.

And again, I have taken on many suggestions and changed up the old port and photos. If you all still feel my portrayal of myself isn't professional, or isn't correct, that's okay..we just won't ever collaborate. No skin off my back.

Thanks!

Although, the original post is gone, so I can't comment on what you were saying.

But, to this statement you have to realize even though this is a site for "models" you are pretty much going to get a majority of "you are not standard" answers.

Wonders if she really got her answer?

Nov 29 12 02:04 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
WIP
Posts: 15,363
Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom


if this forum turns into a cat fight my moneys on the tall one.
Nov 29 12 08:57 pm  Link  Quote 
first3456   Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers