login info join!
Forums > General Industry > The Vogue hosting site just logo-stamps any photo Search   Reply
first345678last
Photographer
JBerman Photography
Posts: 1,113
New York, New York, US


Tonic Dog Studios wrote:
I wonder if they'd accept watermarked images.

they do not - it was the first thing I checked.

Nov 27 12 11:25 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Photographer
studio36uk
Posts: 21,746
Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna


JBerman Photography wrote:

Tonic Dog Studios wrote:
I wonder if they'd accept watermarked images.

they do not - it was the first thing I checked.

FOR THE UK GUYS IN PARTICULAR

If you are going to let Vogue, or ANY website or ANY other kind of publisher, demand that you do not submit marked images, and, then, allow them to put their own name on them, you are potentially screwing yourself - B I G  T I M E - if those images are then infringed by someone else.

Now here is the problem in cases where you do NOT mark your own work and when, then, someone else marks up the work in their own name [e.g. a website puts their name on it]

Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988

104 Presumptions relevant to literary, dramatic, musical and artistic works.

[summary of Section 104 - two critical factors ]
1) It is a rebuttable presumption in law, that, whose ever name appears on a work as published, when the work was not initially marked, is presumed to be the author of that work. Section 104(2)

and

2) Further, it is also a rebuttable presumption in law, that, whose ever name appears on the work as published, when the work was not initially marked, is presumed to be the copyright owner of that work. Section 104(4)


For purposes of UK law, inserting / displaying an image on a website IS publishing it.

You have been warned!


Studio36

Nov 29 12 01:15 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Anna Adrielle
Posts: 18,763
Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium


honestly I know a couple of people who have subjected images on there, and none of those images has ever been rejected. Hell, I even tried it once and it got stamped. So to me, I always think it's easy too. But apparantly the stories vary...
Nov 29 12 01:30 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Anna Adrielle
Posts: 18,763
Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium


studio36uk wrote:
For purposes of UK law, inserting / displaying an image on a website IS publishing it.

You have been warned!


Studio36

I'm sure it is, in terms of law. but in terms of modelling, it generally refers (or at least that's how it should be) to having an image showcased in a magazine, print or online (and there the area becomes kind of grey). something like that.

According to your definition, putting an image on mayhem is also a publication. or putting it on facebook. or on your own website. but then the word just loses all meaning. let's all reserve "publication" for those times when it actually means something...

just my opinion ofcourse smile

Nov 29 12 01:33 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
NothingIsRealButTheGirl
Posts: 32,961
Los Angeles, California, US


studio36uk wrote:
FOR THE UK GUYS IN PARTICULAR

If you are going to let Vogue, or ANY website or ANY other kind of publisher, demand that you do not submit marked images, and, then, allow them to put their own name on them, you are potentially screwing yourself - B I G  T I M E - if those images are then infringed by someone else.

Now here is the problem in cases where you do NOT mark your own work and when, then, someone else marks up the work in their own name [e.g. a website puts their name on it]

Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988

104 Presumptions relevant to literary, dramatic, musical and artistic works.

[summary of Section 104 - two critical factors ]
1) It is a rebuttable presumption in law, that, whose ever name appears on a work as published, when the work was not initially marked, is presumed to be the author of that work. Section 104(2)

and

2) Further, it is also a rebuttable presumption in law, that, whose ever name appears on the work as published, when the work was not initially marked, is presumed to be the copyright owner of that work. Section 104(4)


For purposes of UK law, inserting / displaying an image on a website IS publishing it.

You have been warned!


Studio36

Excellent! My work was published on my own web site with my own watermark long before Vogue ever saw it.

Nov 29 12 09:23 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
NothingIsRealButTheGirl
Posts: 32,961
Los Angeles, California, US


I submitted a few more things I thought were quite good from shoots with some notable models.  All rejected.
Nov 29 12 09:25 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Photographer
studio36uk
Posts: 21,746
Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna


Anna Adrielle wrote:
According to your definition, putting an image on mayhem is also a publication. or putting it on facebook. or on your own website. but then the word just loses all meaning. let's all reserve "publication" for those times when it actually means something...

just my opinion ofcourse smile

The law may be an ass, as the saying goes, but yes that is the law. Putting anything on-line is exactly the same as publishing it in any other publication. The same rules apply to the blogger as do to the Times.

You need to see what's going on here in the UK over defamation, contempt of court, incitement, and other issues, over twitter postings. People are being arrested and people are going to prison for what they are putting social media on-line because it - IS - publishing in the eyes of the law, as least UK law.

I've never come across any exception for modelling.

Studio36

Nov 29 12 09:49 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Star
Posts: 17,927
Los Angeles, California, US


I get one in three, I am wondering if they ever approve more than one a day

I did get one on the font page today, even if it isn't photo of the day
Nov 29 12 02:50 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
NothingIsRealButTheGirl
Posts: 32,961
Los Angeles, California, US


Star wrote:
I did get one on the font page today, even if it isn't photo of the day

That's a step toward photo of the day. It may yet.

Nov 29 12 02:54 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Dan K Photography
Posts: 5,410
STATEN ISLAND, New York, US


Anna Adrielle wrote:
honestly I know a couple of people who have subjected images on there, and none of those images has ever been rejected. Hell, I even tried it once and it got stamped. So to me, I always think it's easy too. But apparantly the stories vary...

Did it just get uploaded or did it get accepted. That is two very different things. When you upload it it does get the stamp but it will disappear from the site and your account once it gets reviewed. 

Anyone can temporarily upload a photo it is much harder to get approved.

Nov 29 12 03:29 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Star
Posts: 17,927
Los Angeles, California, US


Dan K Photography wrote:

Did it just get uploaded or did it get accepted. That is two very different things. When you upload it it does get the stamp but it will disappear from the site and your account once it gets reviewed. 

Anyone can temporarily upload a photo it is much harder to get approved.

and sometimes it is funny what is and is not approved

approved
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/100512/16/4beb3a8bd9486_m.jpg

not approved (just the photo no text of course)
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120906/12/5048f85ce5caf_m.jpg

Nov 29 12 03:53 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Dan K Photography
Posts: 5,410
STATEN ISLAND, New York, US


Star wrote:

and sometimes it is funny what is and is not approved

approved
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/100512/16/4beb3a8bd9486_m.jpg

not approved (just the photo no text of course)
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120906/12/5048f85ce5caf_m.jpg

how is that funny? Exactly what I would have done actually.

Nov 29 12 03:54 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Star
Posts: 17,927
Los Angeles, California, US


Dan K Photography wrote:

how is that funny? Exactly what I would have done actually.

well because both have done very well in print sales, and both are in a similar vein. For me I get as many compliments off the color image as the black and white.

I just find it interesting that I can get one photo approved in a day, oh and the first image was actually rejected the first time it was submitted back when I first joined like months ago. Totally forgot about the place till this thread

not approved
https://www.etsy.com/listing/114660827/ … d-inspired

next day approved
https://www.etsy.com/listing/116649538/ … -of-hearts

not approved
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120502/21/4fa20d3e2dfc2_m.jpg

not approved
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110514/02/4dce475c6a179_m.jpg

approved
http://www.vogue.it/en/photovogue/Portf … c37c/Image

Nov 29 12 04:02 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Dan K Photography
Posts: 5,410
STATEN ISLAND, New York, US


Star wrote:

well because both have done very well in print sales, and both are in a similar vein. For me I get as many compliments off the color image as the black and white.

I just find it interesting that I can get one photo approved in a day, oh and the first image was actually rejected the first time it was submitted back when I first joined like months ago. Totally forgot about the place till this thread

not approved
https://www.etsy.com/listing/114660827/ … d-inspired

next day approved
https://www.etsy.com/listing/116649538/ … -of-hearts

not approved
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120502/21/4fa20d3e2dfc2_m.jpg

not approved
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110514/02/4dce475c6a179_m.jpg

approved
http://www.vogue.it/en/photovogue/Portf … c37c/Image

I am sure much is determine by who is approving it that day and there mood. If it was me and I was exactly feeling as I do now I would have done exactly the same as them in there choices. I may have preferred the vertical though but it would have been close.

Though I may point out that I was brigged for my comment on the thread everyone was praising your von teese shots.

Nov 29 12 04:10 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
AJ_In_Atlanta
Posts: 12,746
Atlanta, Georgia, US


As I think Dan first points out, uploading and getting a temp stamp as its waiting for approval is not the same as getting an image approved.

Also they have such a big number of submissions now it's very hit or miss, frankly I am positive some intern(s) kicks out a ton of images that never get to the editor.  If I submit an image and it's gone within the hour I resubmit it another day at a different time.
Nov 29 12 04:19 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Star
Posts: 17,927
Los Angeles, California, US


Dan K Photography wrote:
I am sure much is determine by who is approving it that day and there mood. If it was me and I was exactly feeling as I do now I would have done exactly the same as them in there choices. I may have preferred the vertical though but it would have been close.

Though I may point out that I was brigged for my comment on the thread everyone was praising your von teese shots.

Well don't worry, I don't rely too much on your opinions. The fact that Dita contacted me to do another shoot for her based on how much she loved the first set of images, that The LA Times Sunday Edition used one of the images on the front page of their Image section means a lot more to me.

Nov 29 12 04:23 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Dan K Photography
Posts: 5,410
STATEN ISLAND, New York, US


Star wrote:
Well don't worry, I don't rely too much on your opinions. The fact that Dita contacted me to do another shoot for her based on how much she loved the first set of images, that The LA Times Sunday Edition used one of the images on the front page of their Image section means a lot more to me.

Well cool as that is how it should be.

I have  always said how much I love your work. You are probably one of my favorites on MM. I wasn't even negative on that thread but apparently if it isn't complete ass kissing praise it can't be said outside of critique. I am glad to see at least photo vogue agrees with me:)

Nov 29 12 04:30 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DA PHOTO
Posts: 1,517
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


so far  i got 3 for  3 entries
Nov 29 12 06:54 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
NothingIsRealButTheGirl
Posts: 32,961
Los Angeles, California, US


Nov 29 12 11:34 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Know Idea
Posts: 2,934
San Diego, California, US


AJScalzitti wrote:
As I think Dan first points out, uploading and getting a temp stamp as its waiting for approval is not the same as getting an image approved.

Also they have such a big number of submissions now it's very hit or miss, frankly I am positive some intern(s) kicks out a ton of images that never get to the editor.  If I submit an image and it's gone within the hour I resubmit it another day at a different time.

Yep. There's no way in hell the editor is looking at all the submissions that come in every day. No way. They must get parred way down first.

Nov 30 12 12:27 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
JAE
Posts: 2,126
West Chester, Pennsylvania, US


Know Idea wrote:

Yep. There's no way in hell the editor is looking at all the submissions that come in every day. No way. They must get parred way down first.

That's how I assumed it works.  I noticed if I upload 3, sometimes 2 will disappear and 1 will sit there for awhile.  As people have mentioned there must be a team that goes through them initially then there's a 2nd round with the editor.  I have also had an image rejected, resubmitted it at a different time a month later and had it accepted.

Nov 30 12 05:30 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Untitled Photographer
Posts: 1,187
Dallas, Texas, US


I think this is awesome and I'd feel flattered if any site chose one of my images, especially if Vogue It online did.  I have submitted 6 photos so far and not one was chosen (yay!), but that won't stop me from continuing to do so until the like one of mine.  Obviously (to me at least) this is not the same as being published in their magazine, but it is still pretty cool to have ANY image savvy site chose one of your photos to grace their online presence.

I don't have the bandwidth to worry about what other people do or how they promote themselves, I mean really.  I don't really care if a model or photographer lies their ass off on ANY subject, I don't care if they swipe the Cosmopolitan or Vanity Fair logo and plaster it all over their own images in a dishonest attempt to fool people.  I just don't care what shenanigans other people indulge in, whether honest or not, to promote themselves.  My life it too cool and fun to worry about if other people are breaking any rules or misleading others about their photography/modeling work.

Thanks for this thread, I'm submitting photos most every day in hopes that they like one of mine.  I think it's pretty cool.
Nov 30 12 08:36 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
AJ_In_Atlanta
Posts: 12,746
Atlanta, Georgia, US


DA PHOTO wrote:
so far  i got 3 for  3 entries

Link to your profile so we can see what they selected?

Nov 30 12 08:43 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
AJ_In_Atlanta
Posts: 12,746
Atlanta, Georgia, US


DA PHOTO wrote:
so far  i got 3 for  3 entries
AJScalzitti wrote:
Link to your profile so we can see what they selected?

Found it Daniel, they are very interesting images so I am not surprised they accepted them.

http://www.vogue.it/en/photovogue/Profi … ef864/User

Nov 30 12 09:02 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
NothingIsRealButTheGirl
Posts: 32,961
Los Angeles, California, US


JAE Photography PA wrote:
I have also had an image rejected, resubmitted it at a different time a month later and had it accepted.

ooo. sneaky!

Nov 30 12 11:41 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Yum Yum Photo
Posts: 442
Park Ridge, New Jersey, US


This is the craziest thread..... Photovogue every once in a while offers incentives.... Look for them and participate... It costs nothing....

I have benefited greatly from the site.  Better the the tons of contests which often ask for money and there is little benefit.....

Vogue.it is also providing a platform for writers also.....

Yes they put a watermark on picture when you submit photos and it does not mean your photo has been accepted.... I don't know why they do that......
Dec 24 12 07:20 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
B R U N E S C I
Posts: 25,319
Bath, England, United Kingdom


studio36uk wrote:
1) It is a rebuttable presumption in law, that, whose ever name appears on a work as published, when the work was not initially marked, is presumed to be the author of that work. Section 104(2)

and

2) Further, it is also a rebuttable presumption in law, that, whose ever name appears on the work as published, when the work was not initially marked, is presumed to be the copyright owner of that work. Section 104(4)

For purposes of UK law, inserting / displaying an image on a website IS publishing it.

It's a good job then that I always "publish" my images on my own Facebook, Tumblr or Website before submitting them to PhotoVogue wink

Oh, and I looked up "rebuttable presumption" too, and it basically means that something will be accepted as fact unless it can be proven not to be.

I would think therefore that the fact that I can prove with the RAW files and by calling a witness (the model) if I need to that I took the photo, that such a presumption, even if it were ever made, could easily be rebutted.



Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Dec 25 12 06:58 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
TRPn Pics
Posts: 10,431
Andrews, North Carolina, US


A few months back there was a thread about PV. Discussion was about chickens being accepted (huh?). I created a profile and submitted a handful of shots, one, just one of sandhill cranes was accepted.  smile yea me!

As for the discussion here about why and or for what purpose, I'm in agreement with Swinskey and others, although I do not have work hanging in multiple galleries, or been published in multiple rags, the idea that actual editors the likes of Vogue thought my work to be worthy of hosting on their website can't be a bad thing.

.02
Dec 25 12 08:57 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
1nyc_tssm
Posts: 49
Paris, Île-de-France, France


Tonic Dog Studios wrote:
I wonder if they'd accept watermarked images.

They don't.

Dec 25 12 10:19 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Shon D.- Homme
Posts: 3,195
Virginia Beach, Virginia, US


Anna Adrielle wrote:
honestly I know a couple of people who have subjected images on there, and none of those images has ever been rejected. Hell, I even tried it once and it got stamped. So to me, I always think it's easy too. But apparantly the stories vary...

All my shit has been rejected, so I must be REALLY terrible.

Dec 25 12 10:35 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
EdwinR Photography
Posts: 3,151
Saint Petersburg, Florida, US


submitted 4 got two in... and for the life of me i didnt get why they picked what they picked... all in the eyes of the beholder like most art i suppose...

and i do think it is a good platform to show your work... can and does lead to other work  mission accomplished in my book..

Merry Christmas btw..
Dec 25 12 11:21 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Hugh Alison
Posts: 2,109
Aberystwyth, Wales, United Kingdom


I'm at 7 out of 12 accepted so far.

http://www.vogue.it/en/photovogue/Profi … 421eb/User
Dec 25 12 12:11 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Hugh Alison
Posts: 2,109
Aberystwyth, Wales, United Kingdom


V Laroche wrote:
http://www.vogue.it/en/photovogue/
... I could photocopy one of my hermit crabs, upload the image to this hosting site, and have it stamped with the Vogue logo...

At this point I'm REALLY curious to see if you have been able to get any shots accepted...

perhaps you'd link us to your Vogue.it portfolio?

Dec 25 12 12:15 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Eclectic Vision
Posts: 8,191
Toledo, Ohio, US


They've accepted about one third of the images I've submitted.

http://www.vogue.it/en/photovogue/Profi … 481cb/User
Dec 28 12 10:01 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
bw fotograf
Posts: 209
Plano, Texas, US


i've had two accepted and placed into my port. they even put my self-port on the main page on the day that it was accepted. i'll admit, i thought that was pretty fucking cool. :-)

http://www.vogue.it/en/photovogue/Profi … 21d2f/User
Dec 28 12 01:03 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
bw fotograf
Posts: 209
Plano, Texas, US


Hugh Alison wrote:
I'm at 7 out of 12 accepted so far.

http://www.vogue.it/en/photovogue/Profi … 421eb/User

you're picking up steam. i remember your 11/25 submission. well done!

Dec 28 12 01:12 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
M Pandolfo Photography
Posts: 12,116
Tampa, Florida, US


I'm pretty sure what the OP meant was that when you submit an image you immediately get a confirmation that the image is pending approval. At that point on the screen whatever image was submitted is stamped with their watermark.

After first reading this I created a profile there and submitted 3 non-model images. All 3 were "stamped" and thumbnailed at that point. They then went into the pending approval area with one accepted and two deleted after they weren't approved.

But, unless people are saving that initial stamped thumbnail and uploading it to a portfolio, which is incredibly weaksauce, only accepted images are stamped permanently.
Dec 28 12 01:22 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jean Renard Photography
Posts: 2,046
Los Angeles, California, US


If I may,
I think it is awesome that this feature has people creating and submitting work.  With that said, any and ALL editorial is done by pros to leverage commercial clients.  As glamorous as it might seem to those who have never done it, it is a means to an end.  Editorial never pays much so one must balance the editorial with the commercial bookings it helps generate.

The value, or lack thereof of contest sites like this are dubious.  If you are having fun, awesome, if it gives you bragging rights to naive folks great, in the end will it fool advertising agencies who control Absolut campaigns, probably not but it is way better than doing nothing.

Enjoy it.
Dec 28 12 01:26 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Hugh Alison
Posts: 2,109
Aberystwyth, Wales, United Kingdom


bw fotograf wrote:

you're picking up steam. i remember your 11/25 submission. well done!

Thankyou.

Dec 29 12 03:23 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Yum Yum Photo
Posts: 442
Park Ridge, New Jersey, US


I was published December 2012 Italian vogue through Photovogue. I also sold a fashion print to the fashion editor of british vogue by winning a showing through them.

I am the person withe chickens. The site is not necessarily to aid fashion photographers but good photographers.
Dec 29 12 04:15 am  Link  Quote 
first345678last   Search   Reply