login info join!
Forums > Model Colloquy > Models, are you comfortable with being naked? Search   Reply
first123
Model
Christopher Meadows
Posts: 147
Lynchburg, Virginia, US


Being nude? Yes

Being photographed nude? Not right now
Dec 11 12 07:53 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
hygvhgvkhy
Posts: 2,092
Chicago, Illinois, US


The same response you will get from most, don't push yourself to do anything you don't want to do.

The knowledge that I'm comfortable being naked with a photographer shouldn't have any effect on your comfortability with it. If it does, it shouldn't be the deciding factor on what to shoot.

You know what You're comfortable with, don't do anything you aren't comfortable with.
Dec 11 12 08:04 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Boho Hobo
Posts: 25,351
Portland, Oregon, US


Dixeia wrote:
Okay wow I didn't expect to get many replies but I can't believe that I actually read them all.

yeah, I've decided not to go for nude because of my spiritual relationship with God. Many people see me as a Christian so I don't want to ruin it.

Thank you for taking your time to reply back to my concern.

whatever floats yer boat.


But, don't you think God has seen you naked already?

Dec 12 12 12:27 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Rainbow Candy
Posts: 118
Seattle, Washington, US


Dixeia wrote:
Lots of photographers asked me doing nude, be topless, or wearing lingerie.. My profile picture you saw is the farthest I can go.

I wonder if many of you are comfortable to do it?

I'm trying not to show too much skin.

I'll tell you. My first Photoshoot - I was mostly naked, and I had nipple piercings at the time, and was heavier than I am now. I prefer to go all the way, I actually feel constrained in clothing and don't like clothes unless it's fetish wear.

I think it's about how you feel about yourself, not about what other people think. If you don't want to show too much skin, don't. It's your modeling career. Your will find shoots/jobs/gigs no matter what you do. Don't swear it, honey!

Jan 13 13 01:15 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Calypso Moon
Posts: 848
Banning, California, US


As some others have said, it shouldn't matter how others feel about doing nudes -- you should only do as much as you feel comfortable with.

In answer to your question, yes, I'm comfortable doing nudes.  It takes time and some experience to get over the initial weirdness of being naked in front of a stranger, but after a while, it becomes so normal you almost don't even notice it.  That's kind of a cool feeling, because it really comes down to skill at that point -- no clothes to hide behind.  With that said, nobody has a perfect body, and there are some things everyone is self-conscious about, especially if the spectator is looking for flaws.
Jan 13 13 01:58 am  Link  Quote 
Model
IDiivil
Posts: 3,887
Los Angeles, California, US


My first ever shoot was a nude shoot. It took me a while to really be comfortable in my own skin, though.

I have since been a happy nude model.
Jan 13 13 02:49 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
WIP
Posts: 15,107
Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom


Presley ONeil wrote:
The knowledge that I'm comfortable being naked with a photographer shouldn't have any effect on your comfortability with it. If it does, it shouldn't be the deciding factor on what to shoot.

I assume your not talking from experience as your 16yrs old.

Jan 13 13 05:08 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Daniel Pierce
Posts: 629
Burbank, California, US


Dixeia wrote:
Lots of photographers asked me doing nude, be topless, or wearing lingerie.. My profile picture you saw is the farthest I can go.

I wonder if many of you are comfortable to do it?

I'm trying not to show too much skin.

Only if it's with body paint.

Don't leave your comfort zone. Never compromise, it's how a lot of artists in the camera can forget why they started.

Jan 13 13 05:39 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Michael Broughton
Posts: 2,163
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada


i've always been more uncomfortable getting naked than being naked.

c_h_r_i_s wrote:
I assume your not talking from experience as your 16yrs old.

so what if she was? we're talking about nude photography here, not porn.

Jan 13 13 06:56 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Farenell Photography
Posts: 17,846
Albany, New York, US


DavidCoward Photography wrote:
As a photographer, I'd rather not shoot a model who is not really comfortable being nude. It shows in the final image. Any photographer who pushes you to do nudes probably cares more about seeing you naked than about creating beautiful images.

I'm sorry but the above bolded part is utter nonsense. Are there photographers out there who do what they do only to see a naked body? Sure but you're going to get an element like that anywhere w/n the creative arts.

I'd be more concerned about HOW the person asks & whether they're willing to respect boundaries once its been asked & answered than what it is they're asking.

Because Lord knows just by asking I've convinced many a model in doing art nudes for one of my spur of the moment crackpot ideas who claimed either in shoot discussions or in their profile that they'd "not willing to do nudes so please don't ask." Sometimes people do change their minds.

Jan 13 13 07:16 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Silver Mirage
Posts: 1,546
Plainview, Texas, US


Like everyone else said, if you're not comfortable being nude (and knowing the photos will be out there) don't do it.

If you are thinking about it, but not sure, a couple of suggestions:

- Consider working with someone who will agree not to post photos online. You might have to pay for the session, but it could be worth it to have control over where and how your photos are used.

- Nude or not, think about the quality and style of the photos. Do only quality work in a genre you can be proud of.

- Work with someone who will respect and protect your privacy, preferably and experienced photographer or artist. Generally I'd suggest you avoid posing for friends, roommates, boyfriends and the like unless you are really comfortable having your photos shown. They are almost sure to show or tell to at least one other friend. It's the old thing about "any time you tell a secret you have to assume they will tell at least one other person."
Jan 13 13 07:28 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
WIP
Posts: 15,107
Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom


Michael Broughton wrote:
i've always been more uncomfortable getting naked than being naked.


so what if she was? we're talking about nude photography here, not porn.

So why aren't images 16+ for nude images ?

Jan 13 13 09:45 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Lisa Andresen
Posts: 8,664
Peoria, Illinois, US


No I personally stay away from it for many reasons. I am comfortable in my skin and have very good self esteem. I don't need to be naked on camera to prove that however. I just don't want those photos floating around on the internet for the rest of my life once it's out there their is no taking it back. And when I have kids and all that they don't need to run across those pictures of their mother.

Out of respect for my husband as well it isn't something I have ever even thought of. My body is for him only and vice versa. But I am cool with anything fashion or lifestyle as long as all the main areas of my body are covered I am fine.

I have no issue with others shooting nude that is their choice I just don't want to do it personally.
Jan 13 13 09:55 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jhono Bashian
Posts: 2,427
Cleveland, Ohio, US


DavidCoward Photography wrote:
As a photographer, I'd rather not shoot a model who is not really comfortable being nude. It shows in the final image. Any photographer who pushes you to do nudes [b]probably/b] cares more about seeing you naked than about creating beautiful images.

Do what you're comfy with.

Good advice to the talent and also to the photographers because the photographs will suffer.

Jan 13 13 09:58 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Damianne
Posts: 15,973
Austin, Texas, US


Gross no.
Jan 13 13 10:18 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Damianne
Posts: 15,973
Austin, Texas, US


Just kidding.
Jan 13 13 10:18 am  Link  Quote 
Model
E e v a
Posts: 1,724
Nashville, Tennessee, US


I am very comfortable with it. Factors outside my control keep me from going to nude modeling as of yet.

I recommend you do what you want in modeling, and if you want to work toward nude, do it. If not, don't.
Jan 13 13 10:29 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Egypt Jordan
Posts: 82
San Antonio, Texas, US


IDiivil wrote:
My first ever shoot was a nude shoot. It took me a while to really be comfortable in my own skin, though.

I have since been a happy nude model.

Wow, for your first shoot, you are brave. Knowing me it would take me about 20 before I become ready...I'm slowlly getting there.

Jan 13 13 10:31 am  Link  Quote 
Model
johnwood1986
Posts: 1
Bristol, England, United Kingdom


All about being sensible I guess. I have done one nude shoot, and one that might as well have been - both were professional requests and I got paid for one, the other was for an exhibition. As someone has already mentioned on here, it means that the photographer is reputable too.

I've been on here 2 or 3 days and had a few guys asking me whether I'll do nudes etc - and tbh it seems less professional (regardless of the fact they do decent photos), so thats not for me. Take 'em as they come smile
Jan 13 13 10:32 am  Link  Quote 
Model
NYMPH
Posts: 602
Oakland, California, US


IDiivil wrote:
My first ever shoot was a nude shoot. It took me a while to really be comfortable in my own skin, though.

I have since been a happy nude model.

Ditto. I don't remember how long it took me to become comfortable. I remember there used to be more of a tingly, adrenaline kind of feeling, I think a combination of nerves and empowerment.

Now I'm the first one to fling off my clothes, and I'll just stay naked all the live long day if it's not too cold.

Jan 13 13 12:18 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Art of the nude
Posts: 11,780
Olivet, Michigan, US


Danielle Starr wrote:
Wow, for your first shoot, you are brave. Knowing me it would take me about 20 before I become ready...I'm slowlly getting there.

I've shot with plenty of models who did nudes for their first shoot.  And others who did dozens of shoots without choosing to pose nude.

Jan 13 13 12:50 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
IDiivil
Posts: 3,887
Los Angeles, California, US


Danielle Starr wrote:

Wow, for your first shoot, you are brave. Knowing me it would take me about 20 before I become ready...I'm slowlly getting there.

We all work at our own pace smile Nothing brave or cowardly about any method of going about such things. I admire your knowledge on your own comfort levels.

Jan 13 13 04:14 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Zerotia
Posts: 85
Springfield, New Jersey, US


NYMPH wrote:

Ditto. I don't remember how long it took me to become comfortable. I remember there used to be more of a tingly, adrenaline kind of feeling, I think a combination of nerves and empowerment.

Now I'm the first one to fling off my clothes, and I'll just stay naked all the live long day if it's not too cold.

ditto and ditto!

Jan 13 13 04:25 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
reni rush
Posts: 280
Carbon Hill, Alabama, US


YES!
Jan 13 13 04:31 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Michael Broughton
Posts: 2,163
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada


c_h_r_i_s wrote:

So why aren't images 16+ for nude images ?

*facepalm* you know model mayhem's age restrictions on who can view certain images don't apply to the world in general or to who can legally pose nude, right?

Jan 13 13 05:18 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DavidCoward Photography
Posts: 629
Sandy Springs, Georgia, US


DavidCoward Photography wrote:
As a photographer, I'd rather not shoot a model who is not really comfortable being nude. It shows in the final image. Any photographer who pushes you to do nudes probably cares more about seeing you naked than about creating beautiful images.
Farenell Photography wrote:
I'm sorry but the above bolded part is utter nonsense. Are there photographers out there who do what they do only to see a naked body? Sure but you're going to get an element like that anywhere w/n the creative arts.

I'd be more concerned about HOW the person asks & whether they're willing to respect boundaries once its been asked & answered than what it is they're asking.

Because Lord knows just by asking I've convinced many a model in doing art nudes for one of my spur of the moment crackpot ideas who claimed either in shoot discussions or in their profile that they'd "not willing to do nudes so please don't ask." Sometimes people do change their minds.

But wouldn't you agree that there's a significant difference between asking and pushing?

Jan 13 13 06:34 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Seker Pare
Posts: 186
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia


Not really that comfortable walking around, sleeping or hanging out nude... but I'm comfortable posing nude smile

A few years ago I thought I would never ever ever do nudes. It took a mistake shot in a test shoot to change my mind. Maybe you will never be comfortable - maybe later on you will figure out why things bother you - whether it is because you think others will judge you for it, whether it is because you think it is wrong to do yourself, or whether you think it will hinder rather than help you... And then later you might completely change your mind.
Jan 14 13 03:30 am  Link  Quote 
Model
samlouise
Posts: 30
Newport, Wales, United Kingdom


My second ever shoot was a nude shoot , my choice , and I found it so much eeasier then fashion , I dont really do fashion , I feel I look odd in clothes, when im nude I have alot more confidence about myself , and I know where to place my body more wheras fashion im like a stick lol
This doesnt mean to work with everyone nude , be selective !
Jan 14 13 03:38 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Farenell Photography
Posts: 17,846
Albany, New York, US


DavidCoward Photography wrote:
But wouldn't you agree that there's a significant difference between asking and pushing?

Absolutely which is why also I qualified it w/ "respect(ing those) boundaries once (the question has) been asked & answered." smile

Jan 14 13 04:10 am  Link  Quote 
Model
V for Victory Modeling
Posts: 436
Roseville, California, US


I am comfortable with being seen nude, but not comfortable with those types of photos getting "out there" so to speak since I don't want to affect my day job/career as modeling is a side job for me and a hobby. That's just me.
Jan 14 13 06:28 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
V for Victory Modeling
Posts: 436
Roseville, California, US


Lisa Andresen wrote:
No I personally stay away from it for many reasons. I am comfortable in my skin and have very good self esteem. I don't need to be naked on camera to prove that however. I just don't want those photos floating around on the internet for the rest of my life once it's out there their is no taking it back. And when I have kids and all that they don't need to run across those pictures of their mother.

Out of respect for my husband as well it isn't something I have ever even thought of. My body is for him only and vice versa. But I am cool with anything fashion or lifestyle as long as all the main areas of my body are covered I am fine.

I have no issue with others shooting nude that is their choice I just don't want to do it personally.

Same reasoning for me. Only my husband gets to see that. I won't go beyond underwear or bikni.

Jan 14 13 06:29 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Scarlett Renee
Posts: 217
Salt Lake City, Utah, US


Yup I am. I only don't do nude photos because of my day job, although lately I've been tempted to say screw it and shoot 'em anyways. I'm only getting older. Lots of 'togs see me naked during implied shoots and I don't care at all.
Jan 15 13 05:23 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Nadia Selen
Posts: 37
Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia


Great read. Being comfortable nude and being seen nude by another are two different creatures. In other words and relating to myself => I don't mind as long a my family don't find out lol.
Jan 17 13 10:35 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ShotbyRon
Posts: 767
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US


Do what you are comfortable with, and don't let anyone try to talk you into doing something you don't want. I know some of the models I've worked with are half naked before I can get my lens cap off. Others won't show any skin! Each one is different.
Jan 18 13 12:49 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Virginia P
Posts: 469
Los Angeles, California, US


My first photoshoot when I was 18 was a nude shoot. I've always been comfortable with/enjoyed shooting nudes. But if you have to persuade yourself to do it, then don't. Any amount of money is not worth doing something beyond your limits.
Jan 19 13 10:14 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Cree Synster
Posts: 239
Milledgeville, Georgia, US


I'm fine with implied nudes myself, or lingerie, but I want a good, strong relationship with the photographer before we go into that kind of territory. It all comes down to a matter of personal preference. Do not let a photographer (or another model) try to intimidate you into making you do things you don't feel 100% with. Modeling is about having fun and showing off whatever you want to show off.
Jan 19 13 10:21 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
EdwardKristopher
Posts: 3,338
Tempe, Arizona, US


Dixeia wrote:
Lots of photographers asked me doing nude, be topless, or wearing lingerie.. My profile picture you saw is the farthest I can go.

I wonder if many of you are comfortable to do it?

I'm trying not to show too much skin.

I'm sorry, why do you care what others are comfortable doing?  If enough say they are then you would be too?  Be comfortable in yourself and only shoot up to Your comfort level!

I wish you All the Best!

Kindest regards,
Edward

Jan 20 13 12:16 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Charlie-CNP
Posts: 2,554
New York, New York, US


Dixeia wrote:
Okay wow I didn't expect to get many replies but I can't believe that I actually read them all.

yeah, I've decided not to go for nude because of my spiritual relationship with God. Many people see me as a Christian so I don't want to ruin it.

Thank you for taking your time to reply back to my concern.

As many others have said, do what makes YOU comfortable with your modeling. There are many out there that will model nude for whatever reason if it isn't your deal.

However, I am not trying to start a war here, but if you claim that religion is your reason for not wanting to model in certain forms because of "many people seeing you as a Christian, so you don't want to ruin it", then I respectfully would point out that you are making this choice because you care more about what other people in your life think about you than the religion aspect. There are so many people out there in the world that claim they can't do something because of religion, boyfriends, girlfriends, parents, friends..etc..etc.. (the list goes on and gets very creative). Don't let any of that including the "many that think of you as a christian" get in the way of your life's ambitions regardless of if you decide to model or not. That is your choice and no one elses. No offense, but I have seen many folks out there that use these things as a scapegoat because of their own lack of confidence and self doubts. Be confident in the person that you are for whatever you choose to do!  You can do anything that you put your mind to.   Last but not least on the religious aspect, Adam and Eve came into this world nude if you look up your bible stories. If you believe in God, then you will know that God created the human form in his own image and has no problem with nudity. People that have their own issues out there (we'll leave it at that), have the problem with nudity.   but again, like I mention, do what makes YOU happy and not others, or because you think something holds you back. There are a million and one individuals that will try to hold you back, but you are your own biggest ally, and your own biggest critic. Be confident!  I'll get off of my soap box now. haha    Good luck with your path, and I wish you much success.

Jan 20 13 12:45 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
devpics
Posts: 832
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia


Two of the best Nude models I've worked with are a very devout Christians
Jan 20 13 01:47 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Dave Lucaj
Posts: 35
Yonkers, New York, US


Depends, If the photographer was a female, I wouldnt mind taking nude pictures.
If hes a male, It would kinda be uncomfortable.
Jan 20 13 10:16 am  Link  Quote 
first123   Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers