login info join!
Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Overweight Americans!?!? Search   Reply
first456789last
Model
Little Queenie
Posts: 6,213
Indio, California, US


Jay Dezelic wrote:

Why do addicts do what they do?  I don't know the phycology behind what it takes to ignore all the research that is so easily available about food and nutrition today.

I do know that the government and their crony industrial food and drug conglomerates rely heavily on the addictive nature of sugar.  Otherwise they would not put so much emphasis on making sure our food supply was loaded with it.

Most people seem to start addictions at a young age before they know what they are getting into. Try to find a boxed cereal or name brand baby food today that isn't doused with sugar. Kids are now "market trained" to consume more than their weight in sugar each year--making a pretty good start to a full blown sugar addiction.

Like with any addiction, you have to break the cycle.  It never works to "just cut back".  If a fat person wants to get skinny, they need to totally eliminate processed sugar from their diet.  Fortunately, while sugar is addictive, there are no adverse side effects to totally eliminating it.

I agree with the addictive aspect of obesity. But that doesn't account for every person who is overweight. It all comes down to personal choice and strength of will.




“The concept of addiction does not negate the role of free will and personal choice,” Taylor and co-authors write.

“It may, however, provide insight into why a some individuals with obesity continue to struggle.”

http://psychcentral.com/news/2009/12/23 … 10386.html

Dec 03 12 07:22 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Jay Dezelic
Posts: 4,633
Seattle, Washington, US


Wildcat Photography wrote:

I think Capt'n Crunch, Applejacks. & some of those have cut back some...but it's still high...compared to regular old cardboard Cheerio's.

When it comes down to it...no diet will work forever.

What one has to do is make a Lifestyle Change with their eating habits permanently.
It can be done slowly (I know) but healthier eating starts a better physical feeling and feeds on itself...causing one to do better.

I did this 30 months ago...feel much better...look better too!

Absolutely. 

I decided to do without red meat about 30 years ago.  I have always been interested in staying healthy and learning as new information came out.  In the last several years, I have gotten away from eating any foods with processed sugar, wheat or dairy fats.  I never really ate much of that stuff anyway.

When I totally eliminated sugar from my diet, I did notice that all the little joint pains went away. I just thought that it was because I was getting old. After a few months of experiments, I was able to pretty much conclude that I would only have joint pain after eating something with processed sugar.  I read up on it and found out that sugar causes inflammation. 

Without sugar (and all the other crap marketed as food), I feel better than I did in high school.  My energy level remains constant and I never get fatigued. 

I have learned to apply a very simple concept of eating like our ancestors did because that is how our bodies are optimally designed to function.  It is actually pretty easy to do since most grocery stores still cary fresh produce, nuts, and fish.

Dec 03 12 07:54 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Jay Dezelic
Posts: 4,633
Seattle, Washington, US


Little Queenie wrote:

I agree with the addictive aspect of obesity. But that doesn't account for every person who is overweight. It all comes down to personal choice and strength of will.




“The concept of addiction does not negate the role of free will and personal choice,” Taylor and co-authors write.

“It may, however, provide insight into why a some individuals with obesity continue to struggle.”

http://psychcentral.com/news/2009/12/23 … 10386.html

I am sure there are many individual reasons people have for eating the way they do.  People make choices and compromises every day to achieve what they believe to be most important in their lives.  Eating for pleasure, vs. eating for health, vs. eating to please others, vs. eating because you have no faith in the future, etc, etc.  It's all relevant but so much of it is based on personally held beliefs that are significantly different from individual to individual.

To change a bad habit, you simply need to adopt a new belief system.

Dec 03 12 08:07 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Jojo West
Posts: 972
Silver Spring, Maryland, US


T wrote:

Oh I see, it's all about money. We should probably put our foot down on the old people too. Those mofos are expensive and they don't even work. Fuckers!

LOL that's like saying that you don't care about bad drivers don't affect you. Nope obesity only affects affects the obese, so why should we care, let's just let it happen. And what the heck do old people come in? Tangent much...next you'll say I'm in favor of "death panels" lol.

Dec 03 12 09:06 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Jojo West
Posts: 972
Silver Spring, Maryland, US


Angelique Luff wrote:
I think a lot of obese people are quite deluded into thinking that they don;t have a problem/being obese is normal.
It's programmes like 'plus size beauty pageant' that really irritate me because it's basically promoting being overweight as if it's a positive instead of creating more shows like super size vs super-skinny to help people with eating problems.
I think being overweight must have so many downsides, people just don't know when to say no to that dessert once in a while or so some f***cking exercise twice a week.
Sorry it really agrivates me when people complain they wanna lose weight and do nothing about it.
Being healthy enables you to
-feel more fit
-do FAR more activities
-not carry around such a massive weight with you everywhere
-gives you more confidence
-more job roles
-most importantly, feel good inside and out.
I'm talking about obese people btw, not overweight people.
Small weight fluctuations are pretty normal tbh.

Thank you, someone else that sees the bigger picture.

Dec 03 12 09:07 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Ohev Chava
Posts: 5
Grand Rapids, Michigan, US


Jay Dezelic wrote:

Wrong.

You don't have to eat junk foods. The problem I have with your statement is that you imply that all food is the same.  This statement can only be true if someone is not smart enough to decipher the difference between healthy food and crap.

Doesn't matter what you eat if you eat too much of it. The obsession with this sugar vs. that sugar and so on just obscures the point that in the end it's about calorie intake versus calorie expenditure. And please don't jump all over me about implying that all food is the same. Of course it's not, but humans are omnivores - we're designed to function on just about anything. Naturally some types of fuel are higher quality than others, which matters more than just a little, but if you're talking about obesity, the bottom line is still quantity, not quality. The puny little bit of nothing that one needs to consume to stay at a healthy weight with a sedentary lifestyle doesn't come close to satisfying the desire. And the amount of exercise it takes to burn off a typical super-size meal is way more than the average person has the time or will-power to achieve.

Dec 03 12 09:09 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Jojo West
Posts: 972
Silver Spring, Maryland, US


hassanchop wrote:

My son eats salad at school.

Perhaps you've taught him to? I went to public school, my siblings, cousins and other family members go to public schools and they now have to PAY for the healthy foods like salads! It's all the bad foods they have for free. Why, because parents in those areas actually complained to the school board that they weren't providing their kids with foods they actually liked to eat.

Back to my point that the choices of others can have an effect on you.

Dec 03 12 09:10 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Jojo West
Posts: 972
Silver Spring, Maryland, US


This is for everyone here...YOU'RE WELCOME!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRxNdEeWl2Y

Ah hahahahaha, this is hilarious!
Dec 03 12 09:12 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Top Level Studio
Posts: 3,232
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada


Ohev Chava wrote:

Doesn't matter what you eat if you eat too much of it. The obsession with this sugar vs. that sugar and so on just obscures the point that in the end it's about calorie intake versus calorie expenditure.

That's it right there.  It's as simple as that.

Dec 03 12 09:32 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Fine Wine
Posts: 226
Orange, California, US


I am not a doctor, nutritionist of scientist so I can't speak to the evils of sugar or other foods.  I can say is that I have sugar...not alot but I have some here and there and I am not addicted.  Sometimes I want something sweet so I might have a square of dark chocolate or a cookie or 2 or even a 1/2 cup of ice cream.  This isn't every day it's an occassional treat. For me it is all portion control. I just have a small amount and I savor it.  I eat it slowly and a little at a time.

I also watch the rest of what I eat to have a variety and I workout 5 days a week.  I try to have a healthy active lifestyle. I eat healthy most of the time with an occassional "sin".

In my experience one thing that leads to being overweight is portion control.  People often don't know how big a serving of an item is.  A serving of meat is the size of a deck of cards.  It is not a huge steak that fills an entire dinner plate.  Some time a package contains multiple servings but people just consume the whole thing.  There really can be too much of a good (tasting) thing.

People tend to eat fast so by the time they realize they are full they have already overeaten.  Eating slower will give your body time to register that you are full so you don't over eat.

We also often think we have to clean our plate and eat everything on it. Perhaps it is a result of parents telling kids to "clean their plate".  If you are eating in a restaurant and you clear your plate...chances are that you have pretty much overeaten.   

So for me eating slower, watching portion size, eating a variety of food and working out have helped me maintain my weight for years.  I even do this during the holidays and on cruise ship vacations and my weight remains pretty study.

That is just me.
Dec 03 12 09:38 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Jay Dezelic
Posts: 4,633
Seattle, Washington, US


Ohev Chava wrote:

Doesn't matter what you eat if you eat too much of it. The obsession with this sugar vs. that sugar and so on just obscures the point that in the end it's about calorie intake versus calorie expenditure. And please don't jump all over me about implying that all food is the same. Of course it's not, but humans are omnivores - we're designed to function on just about anything. Naturally some types of fuel are higher quality than others, which matters more than just a little, but if you're talking about obesity, the bottom line is still quantity, not quality. The puny little bit of nothing that one needs to consume to stay at a healthy weight with a sedentary lifestyle doesn't come close to satisfying the desire. And the amount of exercise it takes to burn off a typical super-size meal is way more than the average person has the time or will-power to achieve.

I have to say I think you are wrong again.

Sugar laden food (including the bun, catsup, pickles and meat flavoring in your big mac) tricks you body into thinking it is still hungry.  The processed sugar also triggers your body to produce fat.  Whether you call it cane sugar, beet sugar, high fructose corn syrup, honey, white grape juice or whatever, it is all effectively the same to your pancreas.   Without high amounts of sugar, your body won't store huge amounts of fat. 

Sure, as omnivores, our bodies are designed to utilize lots of different food types.  But processed sugar was not available in any sizable quantity to the general public until just barely over a century ago.  The average person around the turn of the century ate about eight pounds of sugar per year.  Today, the average American consumes their weight in sugar each year--this is far outside the typical range of substances humans have been exposed to over the last million years.

People who don't eat sugar feel full and satisfied after they eat.  That is how the body is supposed to work.  Hardly anyone knows that anymore because almost everyone is hooked on sugar to one degree or another.

Sugar isn't the only problem with the American diet, but it is probably 70% to 80% to blame for obesity.

Dec 03 12 10:08 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
j3_photo
Posts: 19,851
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


Jay Dezelic wrote:

I have to say I think you are wrong again.

Sugar laden food (including the bun, catsup, pickles and meat flavoring in your big mac) tricks you body into thinking it is still hungry.  The processed sugar also triggers your body to produce fat.  Whether you call it cane sugar, beet sugar, high fructose corn syrup, honey, white grape juice or whatever, it is all effectively the same to your pancreas.   Without high amounts of sugar, your body won't store huge amounts of fat. 

Sure, as omnivores, our bodies are designed to utilize lots of different food types.  But processed sugar was not available in any sizable quantity to the general public until just barely over a century ago.  The average person around the turn of the century ate about eight pounds of sugar per year.  Today, the average American consumes their weight in sugar each year--this is far outside the typical range of substances humans have been exposed to over the last million years.

People who don't eat sugar feel full and satisfied after they eat.  That is how the body is supposed to work.  Hardly anyone knows that anymore because almost everyone is hooked on sugar to one degree or another.

Sugar isn't the only problem with the American diet, but it is probably 70% to 80% to blame for obesity.

I disagree.  It's natural sugar (honey, cane, etc.) that your body does process normally.  It's the HFCS shit that's made so many fat (along with too many carbs). 

Anything, even good stuff- in excess amount is bad.

Dec 03 12 10:30 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Jojo West
Posts: 972
Silver Spring, Maryland, US


Starches/carbs turn into sugars in the body, when you pair that with the additional sugar intake the excess gets turned into fat and stored. something else people don't know is that fat isn't the enemy. Healthy fats are the key, and staying away from fat free foods because they have more sugar to compensate for the flavoring lost when they are made fat free.

No need to be a scientist or doctor, just do some research. The internet is a giant library with tons of free info. Technology had its benefits.
Dec 03 12 10:35 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Jay Dezelic
Posts: 4,633
Seattle, Washington, US


j3_photo wrote:

I disagree.  It's natural sugar (honey, cane, etc.) that your body does process normally.  It's the HFCS shit that's made so many fat (along with too many carbs). 

Anything, even good stuff- in excess amount is bad.

I thought so too until I researched it.  The cells in your brain use glucose so your body does need sugar.  However, once natural sugar is separated from the plant cells, it can be absorbed far too quickly.  Even apple juice and orange juice creates a problem for your system.  The body was designed to ingest sugar along with the cellulose that it grows in--that way you only get metered amounts of sugar at any one time.  It would be nearly impossible to eat a dozen apples or oranges in a single sitting, but it is easy to drink that much juice in just a few minutes.

Dec 03 12 10:39 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
j3_photo
Posts: 19,851
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


Jojo West wrote:
Starches/carbs turn into sugars in the body, when you pair that with the additional sugar intake the excess gets turned into fat and stored. something else people don't know is that fat isn't the enemy. Healthy fats are the key, and staying away from fat free foods because they have more sugar to compensate for the flavoring lost when they are made fat free.

No need to be a scientist or doctor, just do some research. The internet is a giant library with tons of free info. Technology had its benefits.

Exactly.  Healthy fats in the avocado and pistachio are just that.

Dec 03 12 10:39 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Cait Chan
Posts: 6,272
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US


Jojo West wrote:
I didn't judge her, she was an example, if you prefer I post pictures of other people with weight issues that you don't know personally? Maybe you should read my subsequent posts a little closer so you see the point I was making. You seem to want to make this about me attacking her personally...um ok?

Jeez...why are people so bothered by honesty. Fine let's all walk around saying "oh no, you don't have a weight problem, you're perfectly healthy, it's ok" oh wait, that's why it's become more of a problem in America.

smile

You kinda sound like someone who went to AA and feels like theyre better than everyone with an alchohol problem....

Good for you for losing weight, mind your own business and stop worrying yourself about others. You don't come off as honest. You come off as judgmental. Big difference, dear. Seems now after being called out by someone who knows the person you directly insulted you're just talking in circles. When someone points out your disrespect you act like an adult and apologize. It's not because people can't handle your 'honesty', it's because you're saying shit that's offensive.

Deal.

Dec 03 12 10:40 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
j3_photo
Posts: 19,851
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


Jay Dezelic wrote:

I thought so too until I researched it.  The cells in your brain use glucose so your body does need sugar.  However, once natural sugar is separated from the plant cells, it can be absorbed far too quickly.  Even apple juice and orange juice creates a problem for your system.  The body was designed to ingest sugar along with the cellulose that it grows in--that way you only get metered amounts of sugar at any one time.  It would be nearly impossible to eat a dozen apples or oranges in a single sitting, but it is easy to drink that much juice in just a few minutes.

It is easy...but again that's the excess amount I'm saying is not right.

Dec 03 12 10:41 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Al Lock Photography
Posts: 15,832
Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand


I've lived overseas for a long time.... when I moved away from the USA, the amount of "big" people wasn't anywhere close to what it is today, but the booming business of the plus size industries (for both men and women) indicated that it was well into the upswing.

A few years ago, I was in the USA for 3 weeks. California, Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia and Florida.

The things that really struck me?

How BIG people were. I mean HUGE. I would venture to guess that on average, the people I saw on that trip were 25-30% bigger than two decades before.

The size of meals in all restaurants. And I mean all. A kid's meal was the size of an adult meal in Thailand. The quantity of food is ridiculous. I had a sandwich at an Appleby's that was two meals for me.

How little the dollar was worth. An orange cost me $2 in a farmers market. Coke in vending machines were $2. A VERY SMALL bag of Fritos was $.50. A beer at a neighborhood sports bar was $12.

My friends who have spent most of their lives in the USA weren't really struck by any of this. But having been away for as long as I have, I wasn't used to it. For me, it didn't happen gradually. It was a very, very obvious change, one that has taken place in a relatively short time.
Dec 03 12 10:44 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Jay Dezelic
Posts: 4,633
Seattle, Washington, US


Al Lock Photography wrote:
... 25-30% bigger than two decades before.

It is not an illusion.  I have several friends that own Coast Guard certified passenger boats.  Each of them got their certificates reduced from 40 to 30 passengers due to new average passenger weight calculations.  Airlines have had the same issue.

I had to add a new policy for my charter boat business to optionally denny boarding to excessively large groups.  I hated to do it but last year I had a couple groups that really caused some safety concerns.

The other problems that the transportation industry is having is that people are far less mobile and increasingly more fragile than they use to be.  Where a trip-and-fall used to result in bruises and embarrassment, today it often results in shattered hips, major surgeries and big lawsuits.

Dec 03 12 11:01 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Jojo West
Posts: 972
Silver Spring, Maryland, US


Cait Chan wrote:
You kinda sound like someone who went to AA and feels like theyre better than everyone with an alchohol problem....

Good for you for losing weight, mind your own business and stop worrying yourself about others. You don't come off as honest. You come off as judgmental. Big difference, dear. Seems now after being called out by someone who knows the person you directly insulted you're just talking in circles. When someone points out your disrespect you act like an adult and apologize. It's not because people can't handle your 'honesty', it's because you're saying shit that's offensive.

Deal.

Hmm the beauty of a forum is that I can share my opinion and point of view. Like I said before you don't have to like it or agree. Got offended? Such is life. If you're going to get offended by every point of view that isn't like yours you'll be walking around constantly offended.

You have your opinion and I have mine, and what you think of mine is of no consequence to me. Especially since I never referred to anyone as fat, ugly, or any other derogatory word. If pointing out that someone is overweight is disrespectful then yup I am, lol who knew.

Dec 03 12 11:08 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Top Level Studio
Posts: 3,232
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada


Al Lock Photography wrote:
A few years ago, I was in the USA for 3 weeks. California, Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia and Florida.

The things that really struck me?

How BIG people were. I mean HUGE. I would venture to guess that on average, the people I saw on that trip were 25-30% bigger than two decades before.

The size of meals in all restaurants. And I mean all. A kid's meal was the size of an adult meal in Thailand. The quantity of food is ridiculous. I had a sandwich at an Appleby's that was two meals for me.

My friends who have spent most of their lives in the USA weren't really struck by any of this. But having been away for as long as I have, I wasn't used to it. For me, it didn't happen gradually. It was a very, very obvious change, one that has taken place in a relatively short time.

This is not that new.  As far back as the Seventies, when I first travelled into the US, I was surprised at the size of servings in restaurants, and never had room for dessert, though I usually did when eating in Canada.

It's not an evil conspiracy thing, it's a competition thing.  Each restaurant wants to offer you more food for less money, so it looks like a better value than what you get at the place down the street, but the process didn't stop when it reached sensible limits, and now huge meals look normal to most people.

Many people coming back to the US after years in Asia say the same thing.  While living there, they got accustomed to smaller meals, and felt healthier.

Dec 04 12 01:24 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Misty Matthews
Posts: 283
Tulsa, Oklahoma, US


So I am 230-235 lbs. I am a size 20-22. According to the BMI I am overly obese, yet doctors tell me I am fine because of my body build. I have broad shoulders, large hips, and a 38 D chest (which is a lot of my weight). I have had every test out there and they all say I am healthy. So because the BMI crap online says I am overly obese means I am?? NO! I eat healthy and still have trouble losing weight. The only problem I have is back pain due to my chest size. I used to be self conscious but I have gotten over that. I love my body and accept it the way it is. Do I want to loose weight? Of course I do. I don't plan on staying 230 lbs forever. I wear plus size clothing and let me tell ya, I look damn good in them. I don't understand why people assume larger women are unhealthy. It isn't always the truth.
Dec 04 12 01:32 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Jojo West
Posts: 972
Silver Spring, Maryland, US


Top Level Studio wrote:
It's not an evil conspiracy thing, it's a competition thing.  Each restaurant wants to offer you more food for less money, so it looks like a better value than what you get at the place down the street, but the process didn't stop when it reached sensible limits, and now huge meals look normal to most people.

Many people coming back to the US after years in Asia say the same thing.  While living there, they got accustomed to smaller meals, and felt healthier.

The funny thing is, the same restaurants offer "healthy options" so they're acknowledging that their normal menu isn't healthy. The options are presented, it's up to the patrons to make the choice.

Dec 04 12 02:20 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Anna Adrielle
Posts: 18,762
Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium


Jojo West wrote:
Anna,

When I started working here I was 255 lbs, I'm 5'9, not sure if you saw the first picture I posted. Yeah I get that there are many reasons why someone wouldn't want to go to the gym with me, even though I myself and still curvy. But these are women that come to me and ask me how I lost the weight, that tell me they want to go workout with me. I am a genuinely kind person, I do care about the well being of others, especially people I've worked with for years and have grown to care about them. I also have no problems asking...and I've gotten "eh wasn't in the mood"; "i'm tired"; "my head hurts", fill in the blank, nothing substantive. One co-worker in particular I gave an entire booklet on how I lost weight, we discussed it during lunch and she said "eh that doesn't look tasty" and carried on eating her medium sized pizza. sad

I was in the obese category once, I worried about what people would think, and then I thought "if someone at the gym is going to point at laugh at me because I'm working out...who's got the bigger problem?" There's nothing you can do about your weight, if you don't do something about it.

Oh btw...french fries, vanilla ice cream, cheese...the three things I love and avoid. I do indulge in a small fry once in a while since I know I will burn it off. Oh and I'd love to take the time to talk to you and learn your story, it tickles me just thinking about it, I thoroughly enjoy the exchange because there's much I'm sure we could learn from each other, so bring it on smile

my inbox is always open, if you want to talk smile.

I have a great friend who is always talking about wanting to lose weight, who has a gym membership at the same gym I go to, who always says she wants to go with me and "books" "gymhours" with me, so we can be gymbuddies... she nearly always cancels the last half hour. This went on for over a year until we had a real heart to heart about it, and she said it she didn't know why she always cancelled. She really wants to lose weight, she really wants to go, but in the end she always chickens out, and she can't define the reason herself.
I think there are lots of people like that, not only with exercise but also with eating. And as much as it frustrates me, I can relate with her, I know that feeling, and it's really really hard to break that habit of chickening out at the last minute and constantly breaking promises.

Yes, a lot of people n this world (and in the states in particular, since this thread is about overweight americans...) are unhealthy and/or overweight or obese. And yes, insane portions, bad foodquality and a lack of basic understandig of nutrition and what your body needs is definitely a big part of that problem. But (I'm not saying this to make excuses), it's really hard to get a grasp of how the psyche of "fat people" works (when it comes to exercise, healthy eating and body image) until you've actually been fat, or are fat right now.
I think more often than not, fat people have a very twisted relationship to food, and while I would not go that far to call it an eating disorder, it's definitely similar. To tell a fat person "oh to lose weight, just go to the gym and eat less" is often like saying to an alcoholic "just stop drinking" or to someone with fear of commitment "stop being such a pussy and just go for it".
In theory, yes, it's that simple... in real life, usually not.

Dec 04 12 02:41 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
B R U N E S C I
Posts: 25,319
Bath, England, United Kingdom


Jay Dezelic wrote:
People who don't eat sugar feel full and satisfied after they eat.  That is how the body is supposed to work.  Hardly anyone knows that anymore because almost everyone is hooked on sugar to one degree or another.

Carbs (often in the form of sugars) are the base from which the body manufactures serotonin, which is the chemical that makes you feel satisfied after a meal and is also a strong contributor to mood. Lack of serotonin leads to symptoms of depression such as anxiety, nervousness, sadness, paranoia etc. and this is why so many people 'comfort eat' on carb-laden foods.

Yes, it's possible to feel full on a low carb diet, but you do have to eat more meat and vegetables than you would if carbs were included, and after a while it can lead to a chronic depletion of serotonin. I've been on a low-carb diet for over 6 months and while it has been successful in terms of weight loss, a few weeks ago I started to experience all the classic symptoms of depression associated with lack of serotonin. At first I didn't realise the two things were linked, but after some research I realised what was happening and I now supplement my diet with a few sugary fruits or a cup of sweet tea etc. if I start to feel anxious or low. I'm also exercising regularly, and that helps too.

In my case, I've always been a 'comfort eater' and this was certainly a contributory factor to my obesity. Some people seem to get less of a 'high' from carb-laden foods than others though, and it has been my experience that these are often people who seem to be  naturally slim. They eat merely because they know they need to, not because it gives them pleasure or because they feel low if they don't. Clearly, people's brain chemistry differs, and with the easy availability of mood-enhancing junk food, it's all too simple to opt for a carb-laden meal when you feel a little low, when really you should probably be doing some exercise instead!



Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Dec 04 12 04:58 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Jay Dezelic
Posts: 4,633
Seattle, Washington, US


Misty Matthews wrote:
So I am 230-235 lbs. I am a size 20-22. According to the BMI I am overly obese, yet doctors tell me I am fine because of my body build. I have broad shoulders, large hips, and a 38 D chest (which is a lot of my weight). I have had every test out there and they all say I am healthy. So because the BMI crap online says I am overly obese means I am?? NO! I eat healthy and still have trouble losing weight. The only problem I have is back pain due to my chest size. I used to be self conscious but I have gotten over that. I love my body and accept it the way it is. Do I want to loose weight? Of course I do. I don't plan on staying 230 lbs forever. I wear plus size clothing and let me tell ya, I look damn good in them. I don't understand why people assume larger women are unhealthy. It isn't always the truth.

I am sorry to here about your back problems.  23 is very young age to experience fatigue in your spine.  Yoga is often a good way to help back issues.  The most important thing in life is to be happy no matter how long you live. You seem to be a success at that. Bravo!  If your friends and loved ones are of the same mindset, then all is good. However, I had friends and relatives that were severely overweight who I miss very much.  The physical reality is that the human body was not designed to function optimally with excess weight.  Gravity is your worse enemy as it will use the weight to tear up your muscle fibers and grind away your joints.  Excess weight also adds thousands of miles of capillaries to your circulatory system that puts a lot of extra strain on your heart too.

You are paying a very high price for your chosen taste palette--and that's all it is about too. I find it sad that most overweight people don't understand that all they have to do to loose weight is to change their desired taste palette. You still get the same amount of enjoyment from food without the adverse effects. Sugary cake, cookies and soda are simply shifted outside of the range of your taste desires.  No need to diet because you train yourself to like natural foods that don't make you fat. Once your taste buds are retrained, you get more enjoyment out of eating an apple than from a candy bar.  Overly sweet things actually end up tasting gross.

I think it is also sad that kids are not taught these simple facts in school.  Rather governments and crony capitalists get to benefit on making people dependent on social consumption and treatment systems.

Dec 04 12 11:00 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Jay Dezelic
Posts: 4,633
Seattle, Washington, US


-B-R-U-N-E-S-C-I- wrote:

Carbs (often in the form of sugars) are the base from which the body manufactures serotonin, which is the chemical that makes you feel satisfied after a meal and is also a strong contributor to mood. Lack of serotonin leads to symptoms of depression such as anxiety, nervousness, sadness, paranoia etc. and this is why so many people 'comfort eat' on carb-laden foods.

You are confusing real food with non-food substances.  Gasoline has a lot of carbs, but it won't benefit you.  A candy bar also has a lot of carbs for instance, but because it is mostly made of processed sugars, it IMEADIAUTY gets absorbed into your system.  If your body is not in urgent need of so much sugar (like if you are running a marathon or something extreme), it gets directly converted to fat.  Whereas a piece of fruit also contains lots of carbs, but the sugar is accompanied by fiber which greatly slows down the absorption rate.

It's comparable to the difference between dumping a gallon of gasoline into the carburetor of your car's engine vs metering it in slowly with the gas pedal--one of these methods will get you far more desirable results than the other.

The lesson here is to choose high carb food with long-strand sugar molecules that are embedded into the fiber so that it absorbs slowly.  If you can't remember that, just trust that nature has already done it for you--choose a fresh piece of fruit over something in a bright colored plastic package for your next high-carb snack.

Dec 04 12 11:01 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Anna Adrielle
Posts: 18,762
Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium


Jay Dezelic wrote:
I am sorry to here about your back problems.  23 is very young age to experience fatigue in your spine.  Yoga is often a good way to help back issues.

I'm sorry, your posts are very wise and all, but this made me giggle. it's not spine fatigue. she has backpaing because she has large, heavy boobs. and while backstrenghtening exercises can help with that, the only thing that really helps is having a bra that support you perfectly (let me know when they invent that...), or a breastsize reduction. Loads of girls with large breasts, fat or slim (yes, thin girls can have big knockers too), have backpains because of them. I've known girls like that at 15-16 years old.
Strap 2 watermellons to your chest and walk around with them, exercise with them, live with them... see how your back would feel after a week wink.

Dec 04 12 11:08 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Andialu
Posts: 14,029
San Pedro, California, US


Anna Adrielle wrote:

I'm sorry, your posts are very wise and all, but this made me giggle. it's not spine fatigue. she has backpaing because she has large, heavy boobs. and while backstrenghtening exercises can help with that, the only thing that really helps is having a bra that support you perfectly (let me know when they invent that...), or a breastsize reduction. Loads of girls with large breasts, fat or slim (yes, thin girls can have big knockers too), have backpains because of them. I've known girls like that at 15-16 years old.
Strap 2 watermellons to your chest and walk around with them, exercise with them, live with them... see how your back would feel after a week wink.

Perhaps she should strap two watermelons on her back to balance the weight and wear a weight lifting belt to put less strain on the back. problem solved. smile

Dec 04 12 11:14 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Anna Adrielle
Posts: 18,762
Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium


Andialu wrote:

Perhaps she should strap two watermelons on her back to balance the weight and wear a weight lifting belt to put less strain on the back. problem solved. smile

sounds fashionable big_smile

Dec 04 12 11:15 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Russian Katarina II
Posts: 2,515
London, England, United Kingdom


Andialu wrote:

Perhaps she should strap two watermelons on her back to balance the weight and wear a weight lifting belt to put less strain on the back. problem solved. smile

Perhaps some mad scientist should invent a zero gravity bra.

Dec 04 12 11:18 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Anna Adrielle
Posts: 18,762
Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium


Katarina N. wrote:

Perhaps some mad scientist should invent a zero gravity bra.

even if they did come up with one, it would be fugly as hell right :p?

Dec 04 12 11:22 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Russian Katarina II
Posts: 2,515
London, England, United Kingdom


Anna Adrielle wrote:

even if they did come up with one, it would be fugly as hell right :p?

It would look granny style for every size larger than D.

Dec 04 12 11:26 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Jay Dezelic
Posts: 4,633
Seattle, Washington, US


Anna Adrielle wrote:

I'm sorry, your posts are very wise and all, but this made me giggle. it's not spine fatigue. she has backpaing because she has large, heavy boobs. and while backstrenghtening exercises can help with that, the only thing that really helps is having a bra that support you perfectly (let me know when they invent that...), or a breastsize reduction. Loads of girls with large breasts, fat or slim (yes, thin girls can have big knockers too), have backpains because of them. I've known girls like that at 15-16 years old.
Strap 2 watermellons to your chest and walk around with them, exercise with them, live with them... see how your back would feel after a week wink.

All the more reason I don't understand why knowledgeable women would choose to eat substances that make them fat.  What a bunch of unnecessary painful crap to go through just for the pleasure of eating candy bars.

Dec 04 12 11:44 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Anna Adrielle
Posts: 18,762
Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium


Jay Dezelic wrote:
All the more reason I don't understand why knowledgeable women would choose to eat substances that make them fat.  What a bunch of unnecessary painful crap to go through just for the pleasure of eating candy bars.

but... breasts are fat. and sure, when you gain weight, it also goes to your boobs in a lot of cases ( not always, in my case I lost 40 pounds AND gained 2 cupsizes), but like I said; plenty of thin women have large boobs and backpains because of it... Boobrelated little pains (and big ones) is part of being a woman. so is lots of other painful crap. not everything has to do with "the pleasure of eating candybars".

Dec 04 12 11:49 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Lohkee
Posts: 12,100
Maricopa, Arizona, US


I had a GF who was in great shape (she was a health-nut) that had a large natural rack. She literally had "ruts" worn into her shoulder blades from a lifetime of her bra-straps and the weight of her boobs.
Dec 04 12 11:50 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Jay Dezelic
Posts: 4,633
Seattle, Washington, US


Anna Adrielle wrote:
but... breasts are fat. and sure, when you gain weight, it also goes to your boobs in a lot of cases ( not always, in my case I lost 40 pounds AND gained 2 cupsizes), but like I said; plenty of thin women have large boobs and backpains because of it... Boobrelated little pains (and big ones) is part of being a woman. so is lots of other painful crap. not everything has to do with "the pleasure of eating candybars".

When we speak in terms of cause and effect with regard to nutrition, it is in a general sense.  There are always individual exceptions.  Lots of ice cream probably helps make big boobs too. Not only does it have lots of sugar that converts to fat, but it can have the same stuff in it that makes big productive utters in high-profit dairy cattle.  The bottom line is your body is the result of what you eat, whatever that may be.

Dec 04 12 01:01 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Anna Adrielle
Posts: 18,762
Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium


Jay Dezelic wrote:

When we speak in terms of cause and effect with regard to nutrition, it is in a general sense.  There are always individual exceptions.  Lots of ice cream probably helps make big boobs too. Not only does it have lots of sugar that converts to fat, but it can have the same stuff in it that makes big productive utters in dairy cattle.  The bottom line is your body is the result of what you eat, whatever that may be.

big boobs (they're getting bigger every generation now...) is mostly due to all the high estrogen (spelling?) levels that are in our food and water. I'm not saying that you are not correct about that we need to eat more pure and unprocessed foods, I'm just saying that you seem to be missing that being overweight and having big boobs are not necessarily related, and that backpains don't necessarily come from having a weak spine or eating so much sugar your joints ache, but that it's just the weight of the boobs causing the pain. Agin: so many skinny women out there with large breasts and backpain because of it. It's an issue that is not really relevant to this thread.

Dec 04 12 01:06 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Misty Matthews
Posts: 283
Tulsa, Oklahoma, US


Jay Dezelic wrote:
All the more reason I don't understand why knowledgeable women would choose to eat substances that make them fat.  What a bunch of unnecessary painful crap to go through just for the pleasure of eating candy bars.

The thing is I don't eat a lot of sugar. I just prefer not to. So eating a lot of sugar is irrelevant to me.

Dec 04 12 01:13 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
C h a r l e s D
Posts: 9,304
Los Angeles, California, US


Dec 04 12 01:15 pm  Link  Quote 
first456789last   Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers