login info join!
Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > best current professional retouching book/DVDs Search   Reply
Photographer
Jennifer Jurca
Posts: 104
Portland, Oregon, US


Hello everybody, I was just wondering your opinion on what the best resources are for professional retouching currently (I have lightroom 4 and photoshop cs6).

Books, DVDs, free or paid (but worth it!) online tutorials... I want to know your favorites.

I am sorry if this thread is a repeat but I really want to know what your favorites are that are CURRENT for this year, or at least not so out of date that they have become irrelevant.

Much thanks in advance. smile
Dec 01 12 10:49 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
pellepiano
Posts: 2,265
Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden


For skin work and beauty ...

Here are some highly regarded dvd's ...
http://www.digitalphotoshopretouching.com/

Heres a free onehour video ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM0byiIcTJ0

... and here is textbased tut ...
http://www.dmd-digital-retouching.com/b … -tutorial/
Dec 02 12 01:00 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Matt Forma
Posts: 373
Denver, Colorado, US


Look into Julia Kuzmenko's products
She's pretty damn good
Dec 05 12 10:14 pm  Link  Quote 
Retoucher
Greg Curran
Posts: 204
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


http://www.digitalphotoshopretouching.com/

I have the full set from this website, they were very useful and I got a lot out of them.

http://www.amazon.com/Photoshop-LAB-Col … 0321356780

this was a cure for my sleeping problem but it some really fantastic retouching ideas.

http://www.amazon.ca/Skin-Complete-Digi … 384&sr=8-2

I have this one too
Dec 06 12 05:26 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
richy01
Posts: 153
Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands


The DVD from Natalia and Kruno are top of the cream...pricy but worth every dime.
I also like the Jonas's videos 
http://www.youtube.com/user/jonaswtuts/videos?view=0
a lot of them are in german but he is posting english tuts on a regular basis.
Dec 07 12 08:03 am  Link  Quote 
Retoucher
bobbydolan
Posts: 167
Boston, Massachusetts, US


Lets not forget Gry Garness, her DVD and PDF were one of the best i've come across while having all the others as well... but long story short, they just explain things way better and such yet, the large majority of learning i've done has been from Vimeo, youtube, and these forms...I've archived a huge catalogue now of all those youtube vids and clips and screenshot references.
Dec 07 12 08:15 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
richy01
Posts: 153
Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands


bobbydolan wrote:
Lets not forget Gry Garness, her DVD and PDF were one of the best i've come across while having all the others as well... but long story short, they just explain things way better and such yet, the large majority of learning i've done has been from Vimeo, youtube, and these forms...I've archived a huge catalogue now of all those youtube vids and clips and screenshot references.

+1

Dec 07 12 12:04 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
J O H N A L L A N
Posts: 9,755
Santa Ana, California, US


The problem with Vimeo for me is that unless you lock yourself into their high monthly cost for the rest of your career, you can never go back and review a 'lesson' you took. That's kind of a deal killer for me.
Dec 07 12 12:11 pm  Link  Quote 
Retoucher
bobbydolan
Posts: 167
Boston, Massachusetts, US


John Allan wrote:
The problem with Vimeo for me is that unless you lock yourself into their high monthly cost for the rest of your career, you can never go back and review a 'lesson' you took. That's kind of a deal killer for me.

you sure there isn't a way to strip out the video...personally i know i have downloaded the vid files off some Vimeo channels as for ones that might be locked of sorts, im sure there are still ways be it diving into to the page info and seeing where the assets are and then downloading or even easier, I have a firefox extension that allows easy one click downloads on videos that are certainly "non-downloadable" sooo if there's a will, there's a way.
shoot me a message if you need any help or advice on resources or want to see the large collection of reference videos i've gotten off the web

Dec 07 12 07:00 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
J O H N A L L A N
Posts: 9,755
Santa Ana, California, US


bobbydolan wrote:

you sure there isn't a way to strip out the video...personally i know i have downloaded the vid files off some Vimeo channels as for ones that might be locked of sorts, im sure there are still ways be it diving into to the page info and seeing where the assets are and then downloading or even easier, I have a firefox extension that allows easy one click downloads on videos that are certainly "non-downloadable" sooo if there's a will, there's a way.
shoot me a message if you need any help or advice on resources or want to see the large collection of reference videos i've gotten off the web

That's a good point - I actually know of one that is said to be very good. But haven't used it. I'm sure doing that violates Vimeo's terms of service and they could possibly ban your account permanently if they found somehow that one was doing that.

Dec 07 12 07:07 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jennifer Jurca
Posts: 104
Portland, Oregon, US


Thanks everyone, all your advice has been very helpful
Dec 09 12 09:19 pm  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers