login info join!
Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > salvation army bell ringers make me want to scream Search   Reply
12last
Photographer
Becks
Posts: 31,793
Rochester, New York, US


because they're so damn annoying. STOP WITH THE DAMN BELL. I donate year round and participate in Toys for Tots, I don't need a friggin bell driving me insane every time I try to swing by Walmart, in order to be charitable. All it does is drive me closer and closer to one day ripping the stupid bell out of the dude's hand and stomping on it in a moment of temporary insanity.

Fucking bell. For fucks sake, you're in a Santa hat and holding a big ass red donation bucket, your name isn't Harry Potter and you don't own an invisibility cloak, we can see you just fine without the audio.

*twitch*

*waits to be flamed*
Dec 07 12 06:26 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Garry k
Posts: 27,099
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada


Gotta wonder how many of those Walmart employess with their minimum wages will be hitting the SallyAnn for some Xmas support as well

I usually toss $50 into the SallyAnn Bucket each holiday season ,,they are good people who do good work
Dec 07 12 06:41 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Paul AI
Posts: 1,046
Shawnee, Oklahoma, US


The ringers are normally pleasant, but the bells do get annoying.  Do they set up shop anywhere other than Wal-Mart?
Dec 07 12 06:44 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Kev Lawson
Posts: 7,651
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


meez agreeze!

just annoys the hell out of me, and yes not only do I donate, but I make sizable donations year round from my company.
Dec 07 12 06:44 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
lock and key
Posts: 1,415
Cockburn Town, Grand Turk, Turks and Caicos Islands


I don't support the Salvation Army because of their openly anti-gay sentiments, but also, I work at a Safeway and we have some hilariously bad bell ringers. The one today looked like she was trying to hit passersby with the bell rather than ring it.
Dec 07 12 06:45 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Marc Damon
Posts: 6,562
Biloxi, Mississippi, US


Becks wrote:
because they're so damn annoying. STOP WITH THE DAMN BELL. I donate year round and participate in Toys for Tots, I don't need a friggin bell driving me insane every time I try to swing by Walmart, in order to be charitable. All it does is drive me closer and closer to one day ripping the stupid bell out of the dude's hand and stomping on it in a moment of temporary insanity.

Fucking bell. For fucks sake, you're in a Santa hat and holding a big ass red donation bucket, your name isn't Harry Potter and you don't own an invisibility cloak, we can see you just fine without the audio.

*twitch*

*waits to be flamed*

You're not alone Becks. I have offered to pay them to STOP until I leave the store just so I won't have to hear it. Like you, I'm no scrooge but give the bell a break!

I guess we will burn in effigy together on this one. smile

Dec 07 12 06:46 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Designit - Edward Olson
Posts: 1,636
Eureka, California, US


I was quite annoyed this year with a bell ringer who set up the kettle directly in front of one of the the supermarket's doors, so that people had to walk around him to go in and out.
Dec 07 12 06:47 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Becks
Posts: 31,793
Rochester, New York, US


Paul AI wrote:
The ringers are normally pleasant, but the bells do get annoying.  Do they set up shop anywhere other than Wal-Mart?

A few other places, but I'm definitely much more of a Target girl, so I don't have to suffer through it much-- weirdly, it's like they go for the more low-brow budget places than the more expensive (people who shop at pricier places are much more likely to have more $$) stores. ie, I've seen them outside of the Family Dollar, Kmart, and Walmart, for sure, but not in front of any malls, or Target, or Publix.

Dec 07 12 06:49 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Kev Lawson
Posts: 7,651
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


Becks wrote:
I've seen them outside of the Family Dollar, Kmart, and Walmart, for sure, but not in front of any malls, or Target, or Publix.

Here they are at Publix, and it is next door (well... a block away, close enough).

Dec 07 12 06:52 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Becks
Posts: 31,793
Rochester, New York, US


UltimateAppeal wrote:
meez agreeze!

just annoys the hell out of me, and yes not only do I donate, but I make sizable donations year round from my company.

Right?? Not only do I donate money/goods, I've done volunteer work since I was twelve. I don't need to donate a $1 every time I stop into a store to whatever the charity of the week is! I decide when to donate, not the month that the calendar is on. smile

Vanessa Bowman wrote:
I don't support the Salvation Army because of their openly anti-gay sentiments, but also, I work at a Safeway and we have some hilariously bad bell ringers. The one today looked like she was trying to hit passersby with the bell rather than ring it.

*dies laughing* Oh god, I wish you had video.

Marc Damon wrote:

You're not alone Becks. I have offered to pay them to STOP until I leave the store just so I won't have to hear it. Like you, I'm no scrooge but give the bell a break!

I guess we will burn in effigy together on this one. smile

I was tempted to ask him how much would he charge me to stop ringing the effing bell as I was walking out yesterday, myself!

Designit - Edward Olson wrote:
I was quite annoyed this year with a bell ringer who set up the kettle directly in front of one of the the supermarket's doors, so that people had to walk around him to go in and out.

WTF? Why would that be tolerated?? That's a fire hazard and he could actually get into legal trouble for blocking an exit!

Dec 07 12 06:54 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Marc Damon
Posts: 6,562
Biloxi, Mississippi, US


Becks wrote:

A few other places, but I'm definitely much more of a Target girl, so I don't have to suffer through it much-- weirdly, it's like they go for the more low-brow budget places than the more expensive (people who shop at pricier places are much more likely to have more $$) stores. ie, I've seen them outside of the Family Dollar, Kmart, and Walmart, for sure, but not in front of any malls, or Target, or Publix.

True. But they are also more likely to donate in a way that gets a tax deduction rather than anonymously drop cash in a bucket. Less wealthy people are more likely to give cash and not worry about their taxes.

Dec 07 12 06:54 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Becks
Posts: 31,793
Rochester, New York, US


UltimateAppeal wrote:

Here they are at Publix, and it is next door (well... a block away, close enough).

Weird! Not here. Thank God. I would shank them by Christmas if I had to hear the dingy bells (their bells don't even have spunk! It's like the bells themselves are saying 'please just let me die already') that often.

Dec 07 12 06:56 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Nemi
Posts: 27,411
Jamaica, New York, US


If you're for equality for gays, donate somewhere else and let them ring bells at church, where bells belong.
Dec 07 12 06:57 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
T
Posts: 53,557
Washington, District of Columbia, US


wind chimes. I hate them.
Dec 07 12 06:57 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Becks
Posts: 31,793
Rochester, New York, US


Marc Damon wrote:

True. But they are also more likely to donate in a way that gets a tax deduction rather than anonymously drop cash in a bucket. Less wealthy people are more likely to give cash and not worry about their taxes.

I deduct eeeeeeeeeeeverything I donate, haha. I don't mess around (I've done my mother's taxes, as well as mine, for a few years now). tongue

Dec 07 12 06:58 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Paul AI
Posts: 1,046
Shawnee, Oklahoma, US


Nemi wrote:
let them ring bells at church, where bells belong.

I swear, religion is like the Godwin's Law of MM.

Dec 07 12 07:00 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Becks
Posts: 31,793
Rochester, New York, US


Nemi wrote:
If you're for equality for gays, donate somewhere else and let them ring bells at church, where bells belong.

borat I don't donate to SA at all, for many reasons. I prefer donate goods vs hard cash, anyway, and used furniture doesn't fit inside their stupid buckets. mad Fucking bells..

Dec 07 12 07:00 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Becks
Posts: 31,793
Rochester, New York, US


T wrote:
wind chimes. I hate them.

It's like Steve Urkle trying to lift like Arnold Schwarzenegger in his prime. Pitiful sound.

Dec 07 12 07:01 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Kev Lawson
Posts: 7,651
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


Becks wrote:
Pitiful sound.

Yeah... they should make them use old Furbies, even hide them under something to get donations. tongue

Dec 07 12 07:05 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Star
Posts: 17,953
Los Angeles, California, US


Vanessa Bowman wrote:
I don't support the Salvation Army because of their openly anti-gay sentiments,

+1

Dec 07 12 07:06 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Becks
Posts: 31,793
Rochester, New York, US


UltimateAppeal wrote:

Yeah... they should make them use old Furbies, even hide them under something to get donations. tongue

haahaha. You know I got one?? Someone found one and sent it to me with just the cost of shipping!! big_smile IT WILL BE SO FUNNY.

Dec 07 12 07:07 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Kev Lawson
Posts: 7,651
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


I was checking ebay lol
Dec 07 12 07:08 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Marc Damon
Posts: 6,562
Biloxi, Mississippi, US


For those who just can't get enough of the damn bell.
At least this guy is creative with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-waRLghPDYU
Dec 07 12 07:14 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
GK photo
Posts: 28,005
Laguna Beach, California, US


buncha bah humbugs in here! lol

actually, i hate them all.

girl scouts
sa
candy hawking kids

any of them. when i enter a store (and i'm a daily shopper), my standard line is "nope, i'm just here to shop, thanks."

and i'm getting good at heading off gas station/convenience store mooches too. when they start heading my way, i walk right at them and ask 'em if they can spare any change.
Dec 07 12 07:16 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ChrisFischerPhotography
Posts: 852
Otsego, Minnesota, US


Becks wrote:
it's like they go for the more low-brow budget places than the more expensive (people who shop at pricier places are much more likely to have more $$) stores.

Here in MN they plant their flag outside Cub stores. It's not the rich folk's grocery store (that would be Byerlys), but it's not the discount grocery store, either (that would be Aldi).

Dec 07 12 07:19 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Kev Lawson
Posts: 7,651
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


GK photo wrote:
buncha bah humbugs in here! lol

actually, i hate them all.

girl scouts
sa
candy hawking kids

any of them. when i enter a store (and i'm a daily shopper), my standard line is "nope, i'm just here to shop, thanks."

and i'm getting good at heading off gas station/convenience store mooches too. when they start heading my way, i walk right at them and ask 'em if they can spare any change.

lol lol lol lol I am the same way hmm  ... well, usually I say sorry, all I have on me is my debit card

Dec 07 12 07:23 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
LizzyB
Posts: 2,192
Rochester, New York, US


man, i just take them as one of the sights/sounds of the holiday season.  my fam rang them a couple of times.  you have to ring, it gives you something to do while you are out there standing in the cold!


not just walmart here, they are camped out at my mall as well.
Dec 07 12 07:27 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Becks
Posts: 31,793
Rochester, New York, US


ChrisFischerPhotography wrote:

Here in MN they plant their flag outside Cub stores. It's not the rich folk's grocery store (that would be Byerlys), but it's not the discount grocery store, either (that would be Aldi).

We don't have any of those here, our discount groceries are where the old people shop (Ingles ad Kroger) with cramped aisles and bad lighting and ehhhhh, I'd rather pay 10 cents more and get well lit, wide aisles and very friend customer service. I

Dec 07 12 07:28 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Marc Damon
Posts: 6,562
Biloxi, Mississippi, US


Becks wrote:
We don't have any of those here, our discount groceries are where the old people shop (Ingles ad Kroger) with cramped aisles and bad lighting and ehhhhh, I'd rather pay 10 cents more and get well lit, wide aisles and very friend customer service. I

Dec 07 12 07:44 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
GCobb Photography
Posts: 15,894
Southaven, Mississippi, US


I donate to SA, to Toys for Tots, St Jude, The Ronald McDonald House, the Pioneers, The Food Bank and whoever else I have time and money to donate to.  Helping is helping, however you look at it.  I'm not going to alienate others based on their belief on something like a sexual or cultural preference.  I'm not that narrow.

How long do you hear the bell, 30 seconds?  I give props to the guys who give up their time to raise money for others.

Plug your ears up, shop elsewhere or suck it up.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13045566/avatar257.jpg
Dec 07 12 08:03 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Al Lock Photography
Posts: 16,071
Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand


Becks wrote:
Right?? Not only do I donate money/goods, I've done volunteer work since I was twelve. I don't need to donate a $1 every time I stop into a store to whatever the charity of the week is! I decide when to donate, not the month that the calendar is on. smile

So, when the level of your volunteer and charitable work reaches the level that the Salvation Army does worldwide, let us know. In the meantime, it sounds like a whine about an organization that is extraordinarily efficient about putting those donations to use and helping millions of people in need across the globe.

Most of those bell-ringers? Are volunteers. They stand out there in the cold for 4-8 hours, ringing that bell, in order to help others. Many of them do so because they have been helped by the Salvation Army. They've been doing so since 1891.

Dec 07 12 08:13 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Al Lock Photography
Posts: 16,071
Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand


Becks wrote:

borat I don't donate to SA at all, for many reasons. I prefer donate goods vs hard cash, anyway, and used furniture doesn't fit inside their stupid buckets. mad Fucking bells..

Find your local Salvation Army Social. They'll take furniture, clothes, and just about anything else.

Dec 07 12 08:15 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Honey Stinger
Posts: 6,355
Madison, Wisconsin, US


Nemi wrote:
If you're for equality for gays, donate somewhere else and let them ring bells at church, where bells belong.

See the link below. There used to be some really ugly language on this SA page. They pulled it. It's been "under review" for a long time.

I don't argue that SA does good for many people but their archaic perspective on same sex relationships is really fucked up.

http://web.salvationarmy.org/ind/www_in … BA0028A203

Dec 07 12 08:23 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Sweet Surrender
Posts: 576
Nashville, Tennessee, US


Becks wrote:

A few other places, but I'm definitely much more of a Target girl, so I don't have to suffer through it much-- weirdly, it's like they go for the more low-brow budget places than the more expensive (people who shop at pricier places are much more likely to have more $$) stores. ie, I've seen them outside of the Family Dollar, Kmart, and Walmart, for sure, but not in front of any malls, or Target, or Publix.

I know that one year, Target actually got bad press for not allowing them on their sites...as they have a NO SOLICITING policy...don't know if that's why they aren't at Target stores now, but it may be.

Dec 07 12 08:28 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Select Models
Posts: 36,057
Upland, California, US


Annoying FUR SURE... I'd actually pay them $5 just to shut that fuckin bell up when I walk by... roll... tongue
Dec 07 12 08:32 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jerry Nemeth
Posts: 27,845
Dearborn, Michigan, US


It doesn't take very much to annoy some people!
Dec 07 12 11:19 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
joeyk
Posts: 14,720
Seminole, Florida, US


Becks wrote:
...or Publix.

In front of every Publix here...

Dec 08 12 01:17 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Jennifer Barker
Posts: 8,010
Houston, Arkansas, US


Paul AI wrote:
The ringers are normally pleasant, but the bells do get annoying.  Do they set up shop anywhere other than Wal-Mart?

They set up where they are given permission to do so  smile

Dec 08 12 01:29 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Paige Morgan
Posts: 4,058
New York, New York, US


I personally prefer to donate to other organizations (the homophobic statements/stance turn me right off).

Additionally, on crowded NYC streets, you'd think they'd have the sense to use a smaller bell or not swing their arms quite as far. Instead they nearly hit folks with the damn thing.

Obnoxious.
Dec 08 12 01:41 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
egyptmachine
Posts: 11,364
El Paso, Texas, US


Becks, I'm the same way. I hate ringing sounds, and even when I see an abandoned SA bucket I'm hesitant to continue in its direction, lol.   Fuck that bell
Dec 08 12 02:22 pm  Link  Quote 
12last   Search   Reply