login info join!
Forums > Critique > Would I work with you? Search   Reply
12last
Model
An Italian
Posts: 96
Boston, Massachusetts, US


I have been fortunate to receive critique from several photographers and models on what to work on. Keeping this in mind, I'll be putting it into upcoming shoots this month. I wanted to reciprocate, because others have helped me so much.

So here it is-Would I shoot with you? I'll answer either way, and if it's a no, I'll explain why not. If it's a yes, I'll explain why, probably shorter than a no-response. I'll do my best to give a detailed critique of what I observe in your portfolio, given what I've seen so far.

Feel free to return the favor, and tell me whether you would collaborate.
Dec 31 12 08:28 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Lorayne York
Posts: 2,117
Manhattan, Kansas, US


i'd be interested.. never heard what a male model thinks of my portfolio.
Dec 31 12 08:32 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
An Italian
Posts: 96
Boston, Massachusetts, US


Lorayne York wrote:
i'd be interested.. never heard what a male llama thinks of my portfolio.

I think you have a good look, you have a good understanding of posing, and your portfolio is developed. Your port contains some interesting concepts.. some of the pictures that I see are darker in theme. It sounds like you aren't in an easy place right now (I don't want to assume one way or another, I hope that you are starting to feel better..the path of grief is terrible, and I am sorry for the loss of your husband). I think I'd be interested in creating some of those darker images with you. On the flip side of the coin, if you are comfortable with it, I would challenge you to try more pictures with a lighter theme, as well as lighter expressions. It seems that you have a few expressions; however, the one of you and your husband is the lightest in feeling. I would challenge you to try and balance the number of darker images (both ones where I can vividly see your emotions and ones where you are farther away) with lighter ones.

I would want to work with you, in both darker and lighter themes.

Dec 31 12 08:50 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Lorayne York
Posts: 2,117
Manhattan, Kansas, US


An Italian wrote:

I think you have a good look, you have a good understanding of posing, and your portfolio is developed. Your port contains some interesting concepts.. some of the pictures that I see are darker in theme. It sounds like you aren't in an easy place right now (I don't want to assume one way or another, I hope that you are starting to feel better..the path of grief is terrible, and I am sorry for the loss of your husband). I think I'd be interested in creating some of those darker images with you. On the flip side of the coin, if you are comfortable with it, I would challenge you to try more pictures with a lighter theme, as well as lighter expressions. It seems that you have a few expressions; however, the one of you and your husband is the lightest in feeling. I would challenge you to try and balance the number of darker images (both ones where I can vividly see your emotions and ones where you are farther away) with lighter ones.

I would want to work with you, in both darker and lighter themes.

Thanks for your time smile

Dec 31 12 08:56 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Rachel Love
Posts: 293
Los Angeles, California, US


Are you really Italian? If yes, so am I. ;-)

Would you work with me, regardless of my height?
Dec 31 12 09:41 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Paul Tirado Photography
Posts: 4,225
New York, New York, US


Take a look and let me know. Thanks.
Dec 31 12 10:27 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
fullmetalphotographer
Posts: 2,739
Fresno, California, US


So interesting I'm in
Jan 01 13 04:17 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Maria Susanti
Posts: 540
Banyuwangi, Jawa Timur, Indonesia


would you?
Jan 01 13 05:09 am  Link  Quote 
Model
HEATHER 19
Posts: 1,132
Boston, Massachusetts, US


I would like to know-also I am in your area.
Jan 01 13 06:14 am  Link  Quote 
Model
_eMMe_
Posts: 842
Florence, Toscana, Italy


I'm interested in your opinion. Let's go. Are you really Italian?
Jan 01 13 07:00 am  Link  Quote 
Model
An Italian
Posts: 96
Boston, Massachusetts, US


Rachel Love wrote:
Are you really Italian? If yes, so am I. ;-)

Would you work with me, regardless of my height?

Hi Rachel!

At the moment I would challenge you to develop your portfolio a little bit more. There are certain shots such as:

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/27973786

I feel photos like this showcase your emotions, and are better posed, and are better composed than shots such as these:

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 6#31060963
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 6#28912982

In these shots the picture is blurry to begin with, which makes it a little harder to critique posing and expression. This is what I would suggest:

Try and work with photographers who very clearly portray the facial expressions of their models. You have a couple shots that do that already, which is a start. Try
and study different magazines to see the poses and expressions that models use. Here is a page from newmodels.com:

http://www.newmodels.com/Portfolio.html

It talks about building a portfolio. For you I would suggest commercial modeling on account of your height and look, but I think a similar concept can be applied. Study materials in magazines and commercial ads, and try to recreate those with photographers in your area (since you mention a financial constraint on travel). Try to set up multiple photoshoots with different photographers around you, and build a first set of strong images, and with those, you can talk to more photographers about shooting tfp, and they likely be more receptive to the idea.

If you look at my portfolio, those shots are the product of my fourth shoot mostly, it was a process of being able to work with the photographer that came from working with a few others before him, that got me there.

In sum-I would be interested in working with you after you have developed your portfolio more, in terms of a range of expressions and poses. I would also have to be in your area, since you mention you are unable to travel. A caveat: your height might make it more difficult to entice photographers to shoot; however, it wouldn't discourage me from working with you if you can display an improvement in your portfolio.

Hope this helped!

J

Jan 01 13 10:57 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Axioma
Posts: 6,774
Gent, East Flanders, Belgium


Interested to hear a male model's opinion; so please.
I can return the favor, what would you like a comment on?
Jan 01 13 10:58 am  Link  Quote 
Model
An Italian
Posts: 96
Boston, Massachusetts, US


Paul Tirado Photography wrote:
Take a look and let me know. Thanks.

I feel like you already know the answer Paul! I would shoot with you in a heartbeat. You are very clearly a gifted photographer. I was at first confused by one or two thumbnails in your portfolio that looked to be of lesser quality than your headshots and other shots; however, upon clicking on them I realized they were editorial shots or other credited photos. For me the only question would be your comfort level in shooting a model such as myself-I have a commercial look rather than a high fashion look, so I'm wondering how you would approach that. In terms of your skill, my answer would be a resounding yes. In terms of your pricing and your willingness to shoot a test, that is where the question would come up for me. I'm not a high fashion model, so I don't know if you would be willing to test, which means I'd need to book the next few gigs coming up this month to be able to afford it + rent/tuition.

I was thinking though. I looked through your portfolio and was wondering what I would do to improve it or make it more marketable, generally speaking. Ninety percent of your shots are of female models. I can imagine that this works in allowing you to market to female models who want stellar shots; however, I would pose the hypothetical question-what would happen if you put more shots of men into your portfolio? Would it dilute the quality of your appeal to female models? Would it make guys more likely to want to shoot with you? What if you separated it into two sections-men and women? Just a thought that I wanted to offer, in the hopes of helping your work develop. Your two non-magazine cover shots of men show that you have no problem working with men or women and making the photos pop.

I hope this helped!

J

Jan 01 13 11:09 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Maggie Xia
Posts: 452
Atlanta, Georgia, US


oh I would love to hear your opinion of my port smile
Jan 01 13 11:11 am  Link  Quote 
Model
An Italian
Posts: 96
Boston, Massachusetts, US


fullmetalphotographer wrote:
So interesting I'm in

Hi Ralph,

At this point in time, I probably would not, given a few things-

-you mainly photograph girls, and in a very specific style of photography (sexy, pure sex appeal); while this works as a style in and of itself, there are a couple of things that I think could be improved in that niche:
1. I would suggest that you work more on coaching models in terms of expression and emoting. Your most recent photos with this model feel like it's the same expression six times in a row:
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30942361

If I see more than three images with the same model and same expression in a photographer's portfolio that aren't all stunning, then my eyes start to glaze.

2. This shot right here I think could use some touching up in terms of the crispness of the shot:
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30942356
3. This shot could use some balancing for light:
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30942358

I think it would behoove you to think about what kind of photography that you want to aspire to. Everyone is a continual student, everyday. I have an EXTREMELY limited knowledge of photoshop and lightroom, etc, but some things that I mentioned above could use work to someone with as little post production experience as myself. In sum:

-work on lighting, and post processing. Think about different expressions that you want to capture in models. You mention in your bio that you are a "People photographer"; however, people have many more feelings and expressions than just smiles and sex. For the photos that do have those feelings, try to work on mechanics a little bit. As an actor, I train every day to be emotionally honest when I act, and this translates into when I model-I translate my own feelings into expressions, and strike a pose. I would go as far to suggest one of these classes if you have the time and interest, because it can help to train your eye in terms of how genuine a look is, which in my opinion is what makes a photo really pop.

If you look at photographers such as Lev Gorn, the headshots that he posts all contain people who genuinely see something in the camera-a friend, brother, loved one. He undoubtedly helps some of these guys and gals to reach that point. Some of your models look a little empty in their eyes, so this might help from a model-directing point of view.

I think mechanics aside though, I wouldn't collaborate at this point because you don't shoot a style that I find myself fitting in. If you were to work on mechanics and study other photographers' styles and expand your portfolio beyond the niche you have in your portfolio, that might be a different story.

As Stefano says, this is just my 2 cents. Hope it helped!

J

Jan 01 13 08:51 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
E e v a
Posts: 1,724
Nashville, Tennessee, US


Sounds fun. I'm game.

Edit: Yes, I would work with you. You know how to pose and you have personality.
Jan 01 13 08:52 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Deirdre Holmes
Posts: 1,245
San Pedro, California, US


I'm in...
Yes, I work with you. I need more strong male models in my port
Jan 01 13 08:53 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
An Italian
Posts: 96
Boston, Massachusetts, US


Maria Susanti wrote:
would you?

Maria,

WOW you are so far away! But I would work with you. I see your personality really well in some of your shots, such as

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 4#26955955

and

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 4#26955818

I would want to collaborate on a commercial kind of project, or a wedding type of project that you have portrayed here:

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 4#29950521

As a note, though. In looking through your portfolio I found that there are a couple images that have a very similar feel to me as the viewer:

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 4#29950521
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 4#29950637
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 4#29950536

To me, each of these expressions reflects a mixture of shock, uncertainty, and mental preparation to face what you are looking at. The wardrobe changes between them, and I like the shots; however, you might want to think about cutting one as to prevent repeating expressions. The composition of the shots as they stand alone is nice, though.

In sum: you have begun to find yourself through the expressions that you give, your posing is nice, and you can work well with different wardrobes. I would challenge you going forward to search for even more expressions than you already have, but all in all I would collaborate with you (given we found a way to cross the distance!).

Hope this critique helped!

J

Jan 01 13 09:02 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Autumn Rose Brightly
Posts: 1,097
Crowley, Texas, US


I'd love to work with you smile I'm gonna guess I'm not your type model-wise though
Jan 01 13 09:03 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
KitsuneFox
Posts: 13
Belleville, Illinois, US


I would especially love for you to look at my port. Even though I am still starting out I would love for someone to critique my port and tell me what to work on!
Jan 01 13 09:10 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
An Italian
Posts: 96
Boston, Massachusetts, US


HEATHER 18 wrote:
I would like to know-also I am in your area.

Heather,

Yes I would work with you. You are clearly very experienced, given the shoots for magazines and traditional shots that you have. It's even a bonus that you're in the Boston area-I'm surprised you aren't with Maggie/Click/ModelClub. But yeah, you know the basics and you have a strong book.

There were a couple of things that hit me looking through your portfolio:

1. I came across this shot right here:

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/29510840

The picture came up as a little blurry, but you have a nice, relaxed smile. If I'm not mistaken, it's the only one where you're actually smiling. I would challenge you to expand your range and go for more personable, light shots. You can definitely pull it off.

This is a good personality shot, I think you can step up that feeling even more the next time you shoot, and it will really pop:

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/28291367

2. I saw this expression a few times in your portfolio, it has a feel of innocence mixed with teenage 'tha hell you lookin at?' attitude (these are just what I get for feelings):

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 0#28270218

Anyways, I've noticed it a couple of times with slightly differing outfits and backdrops. I'd recommend juxtaposing all your images and seeing if any are similar enough to warrant an elimination of a similar image. It's your call, but it could be worth a look and in my opinion could strengthen your book.

3. I was wondering where this shot came from, as it was the only one that I didn't feel strengthened your book:

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/28291610

I just felt in general your other shots blew this one out of the water, but that was what I got looking through.

Feel free to take or leave my advice, I hope my critique helped. And I would want to collaborate, let me know if you would be interested.


TO PREVENT A DOUBLE POST-

Going to sleep right now, will continue tomorrow after a shoot everyone. Hope my advice is helping so far, and I hope to get some really good images that will make more of you interested in collaborating with me.

J

Jan 01 13 09:19 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Brightonn
Posts: 234
New Orleans, Louisiana, US


I think our heights and contrast in skin tones could work well.  Let me know.  By the way, Boston is one of my two favorite cities to model in.
Jan 01 13 10:09 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
HEATHER 19
Posts: 1,132
Boston, Massachusetts, US


An Italian wrote:

Heather,

Yes I would work with you. You are clearly very experienced, given the shoots for magazines and traditional shots that you have. It's even a bonus that you're in the Boston area-I'm surprised you aren't with Maggie/Click/ModelClub. But yeah, you know the basics and you have a strong book.

There were a couple of things that hit me looking through your portfolio:

1. I came across this shot right here:

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/29510840

The picture came up as a little blurry, but you have a nice, relaxed smile. If I'm not mistaken, it's the only one where you're actually smiling. I would challenge you to expand your range and go for more personable, light shots. You can definitely pull it off.

This is a good personality shot, I think you can step up that feeling even more the next time you shoot, and it will really pop:

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/28291367

2. I saw this expression a few times in your portfolio, it has a feel of innocence mixed with teenage  (these are just what I get for feelings):

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 0#28270218

Anyways, I've noticed it a couple of times with slightly differing outfits and backdrops. I'd recommend juxtaposing all your images and seeing if any are similar enough to warrant an elimination of a similar image. It's your call, but it could be worth a look and in my opinion could strengthen your book.

3. I was wondering where this shot came from, as it was the only one that I didn't feel strengthened your book:

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/28291610

I just felt in general your other shots blew this one out of the water, but that was what I got looking through.

Feel free to take or leave my advice, I hope my critique helped. And I would want to collaborate, let me know if you would be interested.


TO PREVENT A DOUBLE POST-

Going to sleep right now, will continue tomorrow after a shoot everyone. Hope my advice is helping so far, and I hope to get some really good images that will make more of you interested in collaborating with me.

J

Hi Thanks for your input, be great to work with you-back to school in a few weeks if you have anything please let me know.

On Campus college out of town, freshman so education 1st-then I will be looking into agants maybe this summer-yes I know time is ticking and I am 19 :0, Who are you working with, I have worked beside many agent models.

Smiles I do need, most my shots are for designers, give them the look they want so a shoot for me is in need.

Oh sorry 'tha hell you lookin at?' attitude Too much attitude

similar enough to warrant an elimination-agree, others have said so, need to work on it

This is from a shoot on Jeans, I am not pretty but not suposed to be, thought it added a differant looks, styles - it was taken with the 80's photo.

Hope to hear back and we can shoot together.

Jan 02 13 03:47 am  Link  Quote 
Model
An Italian
Posts: 96
Boston, Massachusetts, US


_eMMe_ wrote:
I'm interested in your opinion. Let's go. Are you really Italian?

*Just got back from work in NYC, let it resume!

eMMe,

Sono Italiano..dunque italo-americano smile

I would work with you. You have some wonderful expressions in your portfolio. I love what you bring in front of the camera-there is a certain graceful and elegant nature, even in intense shots like this one:

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30905770

I can't think of much to tell you in terms of ideas for improvement, your portfolio really blew me away. I was thinking about challenging you to try commercial shots in addition to artistic ones; however, it does not seem you are interested in traditional commercial modeling projects based on your bio.

The next time I visit friends in Lago Como, I will send you a message if you are interested in working together.

Hope this helped!

J

Jan 04 13 02:21 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
An Italian
Posts: 96
Boston, Massachusetts, US


Axioma wrote:
Interested to hear a male model's opinion; so please.
I can return the favor, what would you like a comment on?

Hi Axioma!

I would appreciate it if you would let me know if you would work with me (assuming we are in the same location and you weren't retired).

So...would I work with you. I think it's complicated. It's a yes because your portfolio is a gem. It's complicated because I'm fairly certain you wouldn't come out of retirement to shoot with a guy like me tongue.

Like I said though, if you wanted to, I would work with you. Most likely in the early summer when I travel across Europe. But yeah. Your portfolio pretty much speaks for itself, what with all of the listings and comments and that. Your expressions are brilliant, posing is wonderful, composition of the photos are top notch...but I'm sure you've heard that a lot.

In terms of portfolio improvement...I got nada. You rock! Thanks for posting on here, I really enjoyed just looking at the great work that you've created with your talent.

J

Jan 04 13 02:39 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
An Italian
Posts: 96
Boston, Massachusetts, US


Maggie Xia wrote:
oh I would love to hear your opinion of my port smile

Hey Maggie!

I like where your portfolio is heading. You are really starting to lay a strong foundation for a great book. Some of your expressions I really dig:

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30888488
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 8#30664308
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30865167

You have the sensual look down, my challenge to you is to go more for lighthearted photos in order to expand your marketability as a llama. One of your pics has you smiling, so I know you can smile. The best thing you can do is keep adding new looks to get more clients interested in working with you.

I'd be interested in adding a male/female llamaing look to your book and to mine. I don't know what type of shoot it would be, but I would be interested.

Hope this was helpful!

J

Jan 04 13 03:05 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Maggie Xia
Posts: 452
Atlanta, Georgia, US


An Italian wrote:

Hey Maggie!

I like where your portfolio is heading. You are really starting to lay a strong foundation for a great book. Some of your expressions I really dig:

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30888488
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 8#30664308
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30865167

You have the sensual look down, my challenge to you is to go more for lighthearted photos in order to expand your marketability as a model. One of your pics has you smiling, so I know you can smile. The best thing you can do is keep adding new looks to get more clients interested in working with you.

I'd be interested in adding a male/female modeling look to your book and to mine. I don't know what type of shoot it would be, but I would be interested.

Hope this was helpful!

J

Thank you so much for your feedback. I will def get more smile ones when I get the chance. I would love doing some partner works but haven't got such opportunity yet.

Jan 04 13 04:22 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Modstudios
Posts: 1,156
Beavercreek, Ohio, US


Would you?
Jan 04 13 04:31 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
An Italian
Posts: 96
Boston, Massachusetts, US


Samantha Emme wrote:
Sounds fun. I'm game.

Edit: Yes, I would work with you. You know how to pose and you have personality.

Samantha,

I love your look. You have this great edgy, badass feel to you that can be pulled back in a snap to create something elegant and touching like this:

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/22691441

I would want to do a couples shoot that had both a fierce and sensual theme to it, similar to this:

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/24483536

and then:

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/25679279

I would want to push boundaries with you. You definitely have that skill as a model, which I haven't seen in a lot of models.

A challenge: I think I want to see you take the sensual and fierce, and pull that into something formal like a bridal shoot, or something really elegantly dressy. While it could be high fashion, I think you could do a really cool artistic take off on mixing traditional high fashion with your edginess. A thought to play around with, I didn't just want to say smile more, because I think you have a couple of those pictures that suffice.

I hope my advice helps (if you can make sense of it), and let's collaborate sometime. Do you ever visit NYC/Boston?

J

Jan 04 13 09:07 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
_eMMe_
Posts: 842
Florence, Toscana, Italy


An Italian wrote:

*Just got back from work in NYC, let it resume!

eMMe,

Sono Italiano..dunque italo-americano smile

I would work with you. You have some wonderful expressions in your portfolio. I love what you bring in front of the camera-there is a certain graceful and elegant nature, even in intense shots like this one:

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30905770

I can't think of much to tell you in terms of ideas for improvement, your portfolio really blew me away. I was thinking about challenging you to try commercial shots in addition to artistic ones; however, it does not seem you are interested in traditional commercial modeling projects based on your bio.

The next time I visit friends in Lago Como, I will send you a message if you are interested in working together.

Hope this helped!

J

Thanks for your kind words, call me when you came in Italy.

Jan 05 13 04:48 am  Link  Quote 
Model
An Italian
Posts: 96
Boston, Massachusetts, US


Deirdre Holmes wrote:
I'm in...
Yes, I work with you. I need more strong male models in my port

Deirdre,

I'm interested to see what would happen if we collaborated. I love how you've handpicked beautiful, expressive models to work with, and your capture of them is stunning. These are a few that make me really want to work together:

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 3#23930364
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/23546318
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30900228
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/20761471

I feel that you really know how to create an intimate connection with your models...it helps having great models such as Mosh and Sparrow as well.

Advice: For women, you are at a great stage of artistic development. You have a gift for photography, and you have balanced different locations, expressions, and outfits. Great work.

For men..well as you said, you need to add more strong men to your portfolio. I hope that I can be a part of that.

Hope this helped!

J

Jan 05 13 11:07 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
WolfeDen Productions
Posts: 36
Tacoma, Washington, US


Me please... I would like to know...
Jan 05 13 11:15 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
j_forbes
Posts: 413
Portsmouth, England, United Kingdom


Try me mr
Jan 05 13 11:31 am  Link  Quote 
Model
An Italian
Posts: 96
Boston, Massachusetts, US


Autumn Rose Brightly wrote:
I'd love to work with you smile I'm gonna guess I'm not your type model-wise though

Hi Autumn!

I like some of the photos in your portfolio.

Great commercial shot:

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30173995

This is beautiful:

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30135066

This is a great headshot:

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30173963

Nice outdoors shot:

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30553754

There are other ones that I don't think add to your portfolio, because while they show some personality, I think the angling/posing takes away from the strength that the above images definitely have:

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/31161316
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/31161280 (only because your other glasses pic blows it away)
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/31161278
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/31075633 (feels self-conscious in a shot I think you were trying to go alluring in)

I think you make a great plus model, and I think you could make a good commercial model if you wanted to go there. What you choose to do is up to you, you say in your bio that you are comfortable with your curves. You definitely have a good commercial/plus look, and if you're happy then that's all that matters. This industry is insidious in the ways it makes models self-conscious, it's refreshing to see that you aren't letting that affect you at all. In a commercial setting, I would work with you.

In sum: trim out photos that really don't strengthen your portfolio, do this by seeking out more critique on what photos to cut. I think the ones that I listed above are keepers for sure. Study expressions, from simple to complex. I think your strong suit is really upbeat and quirky and happy, and that's something that's great. Keep shooting to strengthen your port, and always keep a critical eye towards what is working and what isn't.

Hope this helped!

J

Jan 06 13 08:48 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
E e v a
Posts: 1,724
Nashville, Tennessee, US


An Italian wrote:

Samantha,

I love your look. You have this great edgy, badass feel to you that can be pulled back in a snap to create something elegant and touching like this:

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/22691441

I would want to do a couples shoot that had both a fierce and sensual theme to it, similar to this:

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/24483536

and then:

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/25679279

I would want to push boundaries with you. You definitely have that skill as a model, which I haven't seen in a lot of models.

A challenge: I think I want to see you take the sensual and fierce, and pull that into something formal like a bridal shoot, or something really elegantly dressy. While it could be high fashion, I think you could do a really cool artistic take off on mixing traditional high fashion with your edginess. A thought to play around with, I didn't just want to say smile more, because I think you have a couple of those pictures that suffice.

I hope my advice helps (if you can make sense of it), and let's collaborate sometime. Do you ever visit NYC/Boston?

J

Thank you very much! I haven't been up in New York in a while. Maybe one of these coming days I should take a trip up lol.

Jan 06 13 09:00 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
An Italian
Posts: 96
Boston, Massachusetts, US


KaylaFino wrote:
I would especially love for you to look at my port. Even though I am still starting out I would love for someone to critique my port and tell me what to work on!

Hi Kayla!

So okay...a couple things. I think you have a good commercial look, and there are some photos that I really enjoyed. These are the shots that I liked:

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30129919 beautiful eye contact.
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30129909 nice couple shot!
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/31144171 your eyes in color are stunning. Blue definitely compliments you. I'd say try to wear something that matches it in color, and then add something to accent the dress.
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/31144199 Interesting expression
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/31144176 Great expression
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/31144196 I like this as well, although I like the one above it better. Can't hurt to keep both for now.
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/31144042 Nice vintage feel, as someone commented.
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/31144040 Another nice expression
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30129844 nice pose, nice connection with the camera
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30128888 keep the right picture, get rid of the left one, since it's already in your portfolio. Get it retouched with slightly more lighting. It has the potential to improve.

You have some interesting expressions and a nice commercial, potentially glamour look. I think you can do a bunch of different things:

-commercial
-fitness
-glamour
-artistic
-parts modeling
-swimwear

Going forward this is what I think you should do:

-eliminate the bunnies from your bio. Cute, but it's driving my eyes nuts.
-eliminate shots that I didn't list in here. The way I look at it, I tried to pare down as many shots as I could that would give you a strong start. You have really interesting expressions and images, but they're getting bogged down by weaker shots. If you have an image, then have that same image combined with another image in a composite, you are dividing my attention and making it less likely that it will be seen.
-eliminate the zombie pictures, I don't really feel that they do anything for you. It feels almost like a turn off to look at the other nice shots that you have. I realize that you like creating artistic shots, there is nothing wrong with that at all. I just think that there are concepts that fit you much better artistically.
-eliminate the 'seeking agency representation' from your portfolio. I think if you cut those shots down, and start to work with more photographers, you will be able to approach legitimate agents and they'll be interested. At 5'7, you're at a good height, and you have a good look.
-study modeling pictures of more experienced models. You have nice expressions, which is really interesting for someone who has only done a few photoshoots. My challenge to you is to try and strengthen some of those expressions until they pop.
-Get a smiling headshot. You have a good smile, it just hasn't been angled well.
-Learn what angles complement your body.

I hope this helped, I threw a lot at you. And yes, I would want to shoot with you after you have done a couple more shoots, and become more experienced.

J

Jan 06 13 09:10 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
An Italian
Posts: 96
Boston, Massachusetts, US


Brightonn wrote:
I think our heights and contrast in skin tones could work well.  Let me know.  By the way, Boston is one of my two favorite cities to model in.

Hey Brightonn,

Yes and yes. Let's work together. You have been doing this for a while, and your experience is clearly reflected in your diverse portfolio. I particularly liked:

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/29576945 Hot, sensual, and as you said, fierce. Wow.
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/29089711 This shot is so elegant, yet...free. I don't know how else to describe it, it feels like you busted out of the confines of traditional elegance, but you carried the essence of it with you.
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/31128632 I really like this commercial shot, and you have a great smile!

I challenge both you and myself to find a way to work together in 2013. I'm not sure if the magazines that you are submitting for take submissions that have more than 1 model in the pic or not, but I would sure as hell be down to try.

I enjoyed looking through your portfolio, thanks for the browse!

J

Jan 06 13 09:18 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
winking_wonder
Posts: 5,571
New York, New York, US


I would love to get your opinion. Though I'm not sure you would, as I'm not an industry standard model.
Jan 06 13 09:18 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Autumn Rose Brightly
Posts: 1,097
Crowley, Texas, US


An Italian wrote:

Hi Autumn!

I like some of the photos in your portfolio.

Great commercial shot:

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30173995

This is beautiful:

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30135066

This is a great headshot:

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30173963

Nice outdoors shot:

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30553754

There are other ones that I don't think add to your portfolio, because while they show some personality, I think the angling/posing takes away from the strength that the above images definitely have:

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/31161316
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/31161280 (only because your other glasses pic blows it away)
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/31161278
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/31075633 (feels self-conscious in a shot I think you were trying to go alluring in)

I think you make a great plus model, and I think you could make a good commercial model if you wanted to go there. What you choose to do is up to you, you say in your bio that you are comfortable with your curves. You definitely have a good commercial/plus look, and if you're happy then that's all that matters. This industry is insidious in the ways it makes models self-conscious, it's refreshing to see that you aren't letting that affect you at all. In a commercial setting, I would work with you.

In sum: trim out photos that really don't strengthen your portfolio, do this by seeking out more critique on what photos to cut. I think the ones that I listed above are keepers for sure. Study expressions, from simple to complex. I think your strong suit is really upbeat and quirky and happy, and that's something that's great. Keep shooting to strengthen your port, and always keep a critical eye towards what is working and what isn't.

Hope this helped!

J

Thanks very much smile That was very helpful and sweet.

Jan 07 13 09:30 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Brightonn
Posts: 234
New Orleans, Louisiana, US


An Italian wrote:

Hey Brightonn,

Yes and yes. Let's work together. You have been doing this for a while, and your experience is clearly reflected in your diverse portfolio. I particularly liked:

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/29576945 Hot, sensual, and as you said, fierce. Wow.
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/29089711 This shot is so elegant, yet...free. I don't know how else to describe it, it feels like you busted out of the confines of traditional elegance, but you carried the essence of it with you.
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/31128632 I really like this commercial shot, and you have a great smile!

I challenge both you and myself to find a way to work together in 2013. I'm not sure if the magazines that you are submitting for take submissions that have more than 1 model in the pic or not, but I would sure as hell be down to try.

I enjoyed looking through your portfolio, thanks for the browse!

J

That would be awesome if we could collaborate as my 2013 goals include travelling more (at least 5 times a year) and working with male models on editorial and fashion - I've mainly worked with other female models to this point except for one swimwear shoot.  At this point I've only been published in a few publications and lots of stock art sites, so I am trying to develop relationships with photographers thy shoot for these.  Also, if you look in Papercut and some of the others, you can get the widest range of mood and emotion when you combine contrasting models.  My favorite collaboration I did was with a more slight Creole, Native American model.  We were able to really utilize our flexibility an I held her in some of the shots.

Oh, and my last resolution was to create my own pasta by hand - maybe you could help with that in the process. wink

Jan 07 13 09:42 am  Link  Quote 
12last   Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers