login info join!
Forums > Photography Talk > Sexy shoot - 1st time with model? Search   Reply
12last
Photographer
Chuck Purnell
Posts: 319
Wilmington, Delaware, US


Those of you that shoot nude work or even partial nude or clothed but sexy and revealing, how do you go about your conversation with the model when your setting up the shoot and what if this will be a first time shooting with the model?

Reason I ask, I was browsing a portfolio of a MM model that has already agreed to shoot with me and most of her images are on the sexy side with some images being nude or partially nude. I just didn't want to come off as creep when I tell her my ideas for a shoot and how I wanted her dressed or the lack thereof.

I guess it might be easier to convey my thoughts to a model that already has images in her portfolio along the lines of what I want to do. That might make communication flow a little smoother and also a model who states on her profile she shoots nudes IF in fact that was what we were planning to shoot.

For this particular model, I wasn't planning on any nude shots but perhaps some partial or implied. Is there a certain way you talk to the models to convey your ideas for the shoot without sounding like creep or perv?
Jan 03 13 07:21 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
PS201
Posts: 188
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom


Just tell her exactly what you want to achieve (showing samples might help)
Make sure that you do so before she arrives for the shoot, i/e when she confirms that she would be interested in shooting with you.
Don't be afraid to use clear language, (topless, semi/full nude, full frontal, open leg, etc.) make sure that she lists the style you want to shoot in her preferences.
The fact that a model has that type of image in her portfolio doesn't mean that she is open to shoot that style with you, always double check before booking her.
Hope it goes well
Jan 03 13 09:04 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ontherocks
Posts: 22,180
Salem, Oregon, US


pull together a sample gallery.

also, if it's something within her limits no need to be shy about it. just spit it out and she can say yes or no to the idea.

i did a co-shoot with a guy and he just seemed very comfortable instructing the models and i think they appreciated that. whereas when i'm doing a sexy shoot sometimes i hear my mom's voice in my head. lol.

i have had several models say "go easy on the hooha"

Chuck Purnell wrote:
For this particular model, I wasn't planning on any nude shots but perhaps some partial or implied. Is there a certain way you talk to the models to convey your ideas for the shoot without sounding like creep or perv?

Jan 03 13 09:06 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
PIEntertainment
Posts: 1,279
Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan


You'll just have to tell her ahead of time in a message what you expect her to wear, underwear, lingerie, bikini's, or you want her topless or whatever. And if she agrees then when you actually meet her there shouldn't be any problems, unless she gets a weird vibe from you or feels self conscious for some reason. If she already has lingerie/topless pics in her portfolio then there's no reason why she won't shoot those with you too. You just have to act professional and make her feel comfortable, that's all there is to it.
Jan 03 13 09:09 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
HOTTIE SHOTS
Posts: 5,946
Memphis, Tennessee, US


How does explaining concepts come off as creepy?  Models want you to explain the concepts in advance.  They can say yes or no.

Models who post nudes will not be offended or creeped out if you ask for those styles.

The main way to avoid being creepy is to not act creepy at the shoot.  If they have agreed to the style it is not a big deal to tell them time to get undressed for that style.  If you make it a big deal then you come off as creepy.  And don't stare at them when they are naked or talk to their breasts, that really sets off their creepy meter.
Jan 03 13 09:14 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
dave phoenix
Posts: 1,259
Phoenix, Arizona, US


Chuck Purnell wrote:
Those of you that shoot nude work or even partial nude or clothed but sexy and revealing, how do you go about your conversation with the model when your setting up the shoot and what if this will be a first time shooting with the model?

Reason I ask, I was browsing a portfolio of a MM model that has already agreed to shoot with me and most of her images are on the sexy side with some images being nude or partially nude. I just didn't want to come off as creep when I tell her my ideas for a shoot and how I wanted her dressed or the lack thereof.

I guess it might be easier to convey my thoughts to a model that already has images in her portfolio along the lines of what I want to do. That might make communication flow a little smoother and also a model who states on her profile she shoots nudes IF in fact that was what we were planning to shoot.

For this particular model, I wasn't planning on any nude shots but perhaps some partial or implied. Is there a certain way you talk to the models to convey your ideas for the shoot without sounding like creep or perv?

It would be creepy to make sexual/vulgar comments about her body, or to suggest that you're interested in "extra favors." There's nothing creepy or perverted about "I'd like to shoot some partial or implied nudes with you, similar to these example photos." In fact, that's exactly how I'd tell a beginner photographer to approach the situation. Having a detailed vision and being clear about exactly what you'd like to shoot is always a good approach, especially with more risque subject matter so you don't seem like a guy who just wants to be around a naked girl and doesn't really care much about photography.

Jan 03 13 09:15 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
PS201
Posts: 188
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom


PIEntertainment wrote:
You'll just have to tell her ahead of time in a message what you expect her to wear, underwear, lingerie, bikini's, or you want her topless or whatever. And if she agrees then when you actually meet her there shouldn't be any problems, unless she gets a weird vibe from you or feels self conscious for some reason. If she already has lingerie/topless pics in her portfolio then there's no reason why she won't shoot those with you too. You just have to act professional and make her feel comfortable, that's all there is to it.

I know some models that prefer to have worked with you on a previous project before agreeing to shoot nudes. They do make that clear in their profile though

Jan 03 13 09:15 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
dave phoenix
Posts: 1,259
Phoenix, Arizona, US


PIEntertainment wrote:
If she already has lingerie/topless pics in her portfolio then there's no reason why she won't shoot those with you too.

Wrong.

Just because a model has nudes in her portfolio, does not mean she'll shoot nudes with you. It's fine to ask, but don't assume.

Jan 03 13 09:17 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Christopher Hartman
Posts: 53,743
Buena Park, California, US


Chuck Purnell wrote:
Those of you that shoot nude work or even partial nude or clothed but sexy and revealing, how do you go about your conversation with the model when your setting up the shoot and what if this will be a first time shooting with the model?

Reason I ask, I was browsing a portfolio of a MM model that has already agreed to shoot with me and most of her images are on the sexy side with some images being nude or partially nude. I just didn't want to come off as creep when I tell her my ideas for a shoot and how I wanted her dressed or the lack thereof.

I guess it might be easier to convey my thoughts to a model that already has images in her portfolio along the lines of what I want to do. That might make communication flow a little smoother and also a model who states on her profile she shoots nudes IF in fact that was what we were planning to shoot.

For this particular model, I wasn't planning on any nude shots but perhaps some partial or implied. Is there a certain way you talk to the models to convey your ideas for the shoot without sounding like creep or perv?

Just act normal.  If you're not creepy, then you won't be creepy.

Jan 03 13 09:18 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Marin Photography NYC
Posts: 6,613
New York, New York, US


Just be upfront about it and give examples of what you want to accomplish. They can always say no.  Nothing "creepy" about sexy nudes, lord knows this site is full of them! If the person is immature then it might come off that way. It is better to be honest and not beat around the "bush" so to speak.  lol
Jan 03 13 09:20 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
AgX
Posts: 1,188
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US


PIEntertainment wrote:
You'll just have to tell her ahead of time in a message what you expect her to wear, underwear, lingerie, bikini's, or you want her topless or whatever. And if she agrees then when you actually meet her there shouldn't be any problems, unless she gets a weird vibe from you or feels self conscious for some reason. If she already has lingerie/topless pics in her portfolio then there's no reason why she won't shoot those with you too. You just have to act professional and make her feel comfortable, that's all there is to it.

Seriously disagree. There are plenty of threads and posts that refute the assumption that because Person A shoots style X with Person B, style X is always available to anyone.

To the OP, use clear language, with clear photographic examples, well in advance of the shoot date. The word "sexy" is ambiguous.

Jan 03 13 09:21 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
photodorset
Posts: 845
Bournemouth, England, United Kingdom


When she gets there it's always polite to give her a coffee or a glass of water, you don't just say 'OK get naked'. While she is drinking the drink have a chat about the shoot and see how she reacts. It is much easier chatting about 'sexy' poses when she is clothed!! See how she react.

I once asked a nude model to look 'sweet and virginal' and added 'if you can remember that far back' - I got a great laughter shot out of her - could have backfired if I didn't know her!!
Jan 03 13 09:29 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Kyle T Edwards
Posts: 415
St Catharines, Ontario, Canada


Chuck Purnell wrote:
For this particular model, I wasn't planning on any nude shots but perhaps some partial or implied. Is there a certain way you talk to the models to convey your ideas for the shoot without sounding like creep or perv?

You say it just that way.  "I'm not planning on any nude shots, but perhaps some partial or implied."  It's concise and conveys what you're looking to get out of the shoot.  It'll let her know what your expectations are, and whether or not she agrees to do it, she'll at least respect you for being forthright and professional about it, rather than sounding like a dirty old man, or an 8 year old asking his first girl out.

As others have mentioned, you tell her this when the two of you are discussing the shoot, before she is committed to it.  It gives her a chance to consider whether or not she wants to do it in advance, when there's no pressure on her, and, if she agrees, it also gives her a chance to plan her wardrobe accordingly.

Jan 03 13 09:31 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
M Pandolfo Photography
Posts: 12,113
Tampa, Florida, US


The first thing I would suggest is resolving the issue you have with yourself. This isn't really an issue of communication with a model. All the model wants to hear is what you want, compensation and details.

You're asking us how to communicate what you want without sounding like a perv. But if you already feel like a perv for asking...we can't help you with that.

I'm getting a strong feeling you ultimately want to shoot the model nude but want to "ease into it" by suggesting implied/sexy so as not to appear like a creepy GWC. That is a recipe for miscommunication. A model wants to know exactly what to expect and what you want. Why do you think asking a model to shoot nude is more creepy than asking a model to shoot headshots? It's just content.

If you want to shoot nude, tell the model you're interested in shooting nude images (with details of the concept) and what you're offering. There is nothing creepy about wanting to shoot nude images of a model unless you think it's creepy.
Jan 03 13 09:31 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Art of the nude
Posts: 11,780
Olivet, Michigan, US


Chuck Purnell wrote:
Those of you that shoot nude work or even partial nude or clothed but sexy and revealing, how do you go about your conversation with the model when your setting up the shoot and what if this will be a first time shooting with the model?

Reason I ask, I was browsing a portfolio of a MM model that has already agreed to shoot with me and most of her images are on the sexy side with some images being nude or partially nude. I just didn't want to come off as creep when I tell her my ideas for a shoot and how I wanted her dressed or the lack thereof.

I guess it might be easier to convey my thoughts to a model that already has images in her portfolio along the lines of what I want to do. That might make communication flow a little smoother and also a model who states on her profile she shoots nudes IF in fact that was what we were planning to shoot.

For this particular model, I wasn't planning on any nude shots but perhaps some partial or implied. Is there a certain way you talk to the models to convey your ideas for the shoot without sounding like creep or perv?

I say "look at my port, are you interested?"

Some say yes, some say no, some have clarifications or conditions.  If you treat it like any other shoot, a serious model is going to do the same.  She may, or may not, agree, but there's no reason for it to sound "like creepy or a perv."

Jan 03 13 09:31 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Loki Studio
Posts: 2,878
Royal Oak, Michigan, US


If you have trouble communicating details of sexier concepts, I suggest using a variety of sample images you collect from other sources.    The samples can be used to directly discuss style, pose, clothing, expression, and level of nudity.  I keep 4 by 6 photo books full of samples from all over the web categorized by style to discuss concepts and help direct poses. You can actually say "I want to shoot some concepts like these. Which do you like?"

You do need to understand that ultimately it is hard to collaborate to get great photos if you cannot communicate in a direct but friendly manner.  Don't be so concerned with politeness that you loose the art of expression.

-Scott
Jan 03 13 09:40 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Art of the nude
Posts: 11,780
Olivet, Michigan, US


twoharts wrote:
pull together a sample gallery.

It doesn't suit everyone's style, although it pretty much covers the range found on MM, but anyone is welcome to use mine as a staring point.  (18+ images included.)
Samples for nudity/ revealing shots levels

It's been very helpful to me.  Mostly, it's from less revealing to more, but some models are OK with later images, but not earlier ones, especially in terms of faceless nudes.

Jan 03 13 09:45 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
M Pandolfo Photography
Posts: 12,113
Tampa, Florida, US


Art of the nude wrote:

It doesn't suit everyone's style, although it pretty much covers the range found on MM, but anyone is welcome to use mine as a staring point.  (18+ images included.)
Samples for nudity/ revealing shots levels

It's been very helpful to me.  Mostly, it's from less revealing to more, but some models are OK with later images, but not earlier ones, especially in terms of faceless nudes.

It's also a great Sociology experiment to view the quantity of comments increase as those numbers get higher. Or even a marketing tool lol.

Jan 03 13 09:49 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Art of the nude
Posts: 11,780
Olivet, Michigan, US


photodorset wrote:
When she gets there it's always polite to give her a coffee or a glass of water, you don't just say 'OK get naked'. While she is drinking the drink have a chat about the shoot and see how she reacts. It is much easier chatting about 'sexy' poses when she is clothed!! See how she react.

I once asked a nude model to look 'sweet and virginal' and added 'if you can remember that far back' - I got a great laughter shot out of her - could have backfired if I didn't know her!!

I tend to say something like, OK, lose the dress.  But that's after she's been there a while, reviewed the sample images, filled out the release, and so forth.  For a trade shoot.  Most paid art nude models are naked before you have a chance to say anything.

Jan 03 13 09:51 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ontherocks
Posts: 22,180
Salem, Oregon, US


on mine i'll often throw in a couple racier images to see if they say anything about them. often they'll say something like "i wouldn't do that" and that helps me figure out where to draw the line when directing the shoot. words like "implied" and "classy nude" can still be interpreted in many different ways and i don't want to make anyone uncomfortable on set if i can help it.

Art of the nude wrote:
It's been very helpful to me.  Mostly, it's from less revealing to more, but some models are OK with later images, but not earlier ones, especially in terms of faceless nudes.

Jan 03 13 09:54 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ontherocks
Posts: 22,180
Salem, Oregon, US


so true. you might be saying hello and then turn around to check on something and when you turn back the clothes are gone. i love experienced models.

Art of the nude wrote:
Most paid art nude models are naked before you have a chance to say anything.

Jan 03 13 09:55 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ontherocks
Posts: 22,180
Salem, Oregon, US


on my first nude shoot i said "would now be a good time to take off that dress?" and she took off the dress. i remember thinking "so this is what college was like for the hot guys" lol

Art of the nude wrote:
I tend to say something like, OK, lose the dress.

Jan 03 13 09:57 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
SPV Photo
Posts: 760
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


If you don't act creepy, you won't come across as creepy. That sounds silly, but it's true. You're probably more likely to make someone uncomfortable by being nervous and awkward.

Present your idea. If they're not interested--no biggie. Move on.
Jan 03 13 10:01 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
M Pandolfo Photography
Posts: 12,113
Tampa, Florida, US


twoharts wrote:
on my first nude shoot i said "would now be a good time to take off that dress?" and she took off the dress. i remember thinking "so this is what college was like for the hot guys" lol

Laughed out loud. Awesome.

Jan 03 13 10:07 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jerry Nemeth
Posts: 26,758
Dearborn, Michigan, US


Art of the nude wrote:

I tend to say something like, OK, lose the dress.  But that's after she's been there a while, reviewed the sample images, filled out the release, and so forth.  For a trade shoot.  Most paid art nude models are naked before you have a chance to say anything.

Yes!   big_smile

Jan 03 13 10:10 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Art of the nude
Posts: 11,780
Olivet, Michigan, US


Michael Pandolfo wrote:
The first thing I would suggest is resolving the issue you have with yourself. This isn't really an issue of communication with a model. All the model wants to hear is what you want, compensation and details.

You're asking us how to communicate what you want without sounding like a perv. But if you already feel like a perv for asking...we can't help you with that.

I'm getting a strong feeling you ultimately want to shoot the model nude but want to "ease into it" by suggesting implied/sexy so as not to appear like a creepy GWC. That is a recipe for miscommunication. A model wants to know exactly what to expect and what you want. Why do you think asking a model to shoot nude is more creepy than asking a model to shoot headshots? It's just content.

If you want to shoot nude, tell the model you're interested in shooting nude images (with details of the concept) and what you're offering. There is nothing creepy about wanting to shoot nude images of a model unless you think it's creepy.

Completely agree.

It's WAY more creepy to ask a model to shoot implied and try to convince her later to do nudes, than it is to just ask about nudes at the beginning.  If SHE decides to go farther than planned, that's a different matter.

Jan 03 13 10:12 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ontherocks
Posts: 22,180
Salem, Oregon, US


i've had some models where we were shooting clothed (no discussion of nudes beforehand) and they asked if they could take off their top. it was a case of she deciding, not me pressuring.

ideally i think it's best to get everything clear before the shoot or just hire a nude model. if the model decides to do more than planned at the shoot i think that should be her call.

for my paying boudoir customers i will suggest sexier/racier things they could optionally try (like "some models pull the strap down for this shot" or "some models do this shot without a bra"). they are coming to me for sexy pictures so i don't want them feeling disappointed afterwards that they should have done more. but it's totally fine if all they want are glamorous headshots. it's their shoot. whatever works best for them. i just give them options.

Art of the nude wrote:
It's WAY more creepy to ask a model to shoot implied and try to convince her later to do nudes, than it is to just ask about nudes at the beginning.  If SHE decides to go farther than planned, that's a different matter.

Jan 03 13 10:58 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Chuck Purnell
Posts: 319
Wilmington, Delaware, US


Okay cool thanks! I was pretty much thinking the way most of you all have suggested me to go about this and I thank you for the suggestions. I will put together I shot list and some concepts and then get with the model to discuss and see how it goes!
Jan 03 13 10:20 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Ali Choudhry Photo
Posts: 176
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia


You need to be as transparent and as detailed as possible so there are no surprises (for either of you) on the day.
Jan 07 13 03:28 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jeffrey M Fletcher
Posts: 4,316
Asheville, North Carolina, US


For me, I just tell them I don't shoot clothes and that my work has erotic content. I then send them examples of what I shoot so they can put their own words and reactions to it.

By the time you're into nude work there's some portion of the population that will consider what you do creepy so I wouldn't worry about that as much as making sure that you and the model are well matched. I've worked with models who found my work creepy or even disturbing but could totally commit to what was needed for the shoot and do great work. I'm working a bit left of center though so I guess it's sort of a let down if the models don't get the darker vibe.
Jan 07 13 03:41 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
B R U N E S C I
Posts: 25,319
Bath, England, United Kingdom


Fashion, latex, sexy, nude... whatever... if she has a professional attitude to the work then she won't be phased by talking about it. Whether it's your first shoot together or your 31st shouldn't make any difference either.

Whatever I'm shooting, I just show some examples of the kind of thing I'm looking for and ask her to confirm that she's comfortable with shooting it.

If shooting nudes and clothed or lingerie I always start with the nudes, both to avoid clothing marks and also to ensure there's no chance of the shoot turning into an impromptu strip show, which can be awkward for both parties.

Oh, and try to RELAX about this stuff - the more uptight you are about it the more likely you are to accidentally come across as a creep.




Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano
www.stefanobrunesci.com
Jan 07 13 03:49 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jackson frontier photos
Posts: 531
Joplin, Missouri, US


I think it would make sense for most model's comfort level to do other work before asking.  But, as with all things, it depends on the person, how their profile reads, experience level, etc.  If they're new to this I wouldn't ask for implied work first because their comfort is important but that's just my view and sounds like a minority view here.
Jan 07 13 04:08 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
B R U N E S C I
Posts: 25,319
Bath, England, United Kingdom


Jackson frontier photos wrote:
I think it makes sense for most model's comfort level to do other work before asking.

Why waste a shoot on stuff you're not interested in?

Either the model is willing to shoot nudes with you or not. If not, then it's best to just find another model.



Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Jan 07 13 04:10 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jackson frontier photos
Posts: 531
Joplin, Missouri, US


-B-R-U-N-E-S-C-I- wrote:
Why waste a shoot on stuff you're not interested in?

Either the model is willing to shoot nudes with you or not. If not, then it's best to just find another model.
Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

I have lots of interests besides nude/implied work.  Not saying that's wrong, just describing how I do things.  My focus is on developing a working relationship and getting some good shots in other styles.  If I wanted to ask them for implied or nude work I wouldn't start with that unless it was the only thing I wanted to shoot.

Jan 07 13 04:16 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jackson frontier photos
Posts: 531
Joplin, Missouri, US


And I think the OP is concerned about being viewed as a creep.  Let's face it, most of these ladies are concerned about that and that is a legitimate concern. 

If the model is uncomfortable most of you say move on to the next.  In my view, it's my job to create an environment where each model can feel respected and safe.  This makes for a spontaneous flow of creativity and authentic smiles.
Jan 07 13 04:23 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
J O H N A L L A N
Posts: 9,734
Santa Ana, California, US


Jackson frontier photos wrote:
I think it would make sense for most model's comfort level to do other work before asking.  But, as with all things, it depends on the person, how their profile reads, experience level, etc.  If they're new to this I wouldn't ask for implied work first because their comfort is important but that's just my view and sounds like a minority view here.

Oh for crying out loud - this isn't high school dating.
If your concept calls for a specific degree of exposure, then convey that to the model in as straight forward a way as possible. Is she's not comfortable with it, next model.

Jan 07 13 04:29 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jackson frontier photos
Posts: 531
Joplin, Missouri, US


John Allan wrote:
Oh for crying out loud - this isn't high school dating.
If your concept calls for a specific degree of exposure, then convey that to the model in as straight forward a way as possible. Is she's not comfortable with it, next model.

It isn't high school dating, it's professionalism, good people skills, and having a broad range of interests, in my view.  It's also having an approach that's dynamic to the person you're working with.

Jan 07 13 04:33 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jackson frontier photos
Posts: 531
Joplin, Missouri, US


I read a profile of a model on here the other day who said that photographers could shoot her with their iphone in a motel 6 if they wanted to.  :-)  Other profiles read in a way that makes it clear that nude work is something they do on a regular basis.  If I was wanting nude work and only nude work, I'd just ask a model directly that has decent experience with it.
Jan 07 13 05:16 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Hero Foto
Posts: 878
Phoenix, Arizona, US


Art of the nude wrote:

It doesn't suit everyone's style, although it pretty much covers the range found on MM, but anyone is welcome to use mine as a staring point.  (18+ images included.)
Samples for nudity/ revealing shots levels

It's been very helpful to me.  Mostly, it's from less revealing to more, but some models are OK with later images, but not earlier ones, especially in terms of faceless nudes.

THANK YOU ... been searching for a way to convey comfort levels ... this ROCKS ...

Jan 07 13 05:43 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Bunny 007
Posts: 274
Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom


Chuck Purnell wrote:
without sounding like creep or perv?

Don't say "vagina".  Or "nipple".

Jan 07 13 05:45 pm  Link  Quote 
12last   Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers