login info join!
Forums > Model Colloquy > Real size models Search   Reply
123last
Model
JessicaB - Model
Posts: 122
Jacksonville, Florida, US


So we all know that fashion standard is < size 4 and plus is often > size 12. I, like many others, fall into the middle of these and are labeled "real size." I often struggle with getting work because of this. Do any of you other real size models have this problem? What type of modeling do most women between sizes 4-10 do?

This question is not to critique my pictures, criticize me for using a term I didn't even make up, or to provoke negativity. It's just a simple question. If you don't have anything positive to contribute, please just don't say anything.
Jan 03 13 11:52 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Damianne
Posts: 15,973
Austin, Texas, US


I'm a real size.

O.o
Jan 03 13 12:01 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
T A Y L O R
Posts: 2,977
Austin, Texas, US


Damianne wrote:
I'm a real size.

O.o

Liar. You're make believe!

Jan 03 13 12:08 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Art of the nude
Posts: 11,864
Olivet, Michigan, US


Damianne wrote:
I'm a real size.

O.o
T A Y L O R  wrote:
Liar. You're make believe!

You're both professional fantasies of mine.

Jan 03 13 12:10 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Frances Jewel
Posts: 9,149
Dayton, Ohio, US


"Real size" is the most asinine term I have ever heard. thumbsdown
Jan 03 13 12:12 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Damianne
Posts: 15,973
Austin, Texas, US


Frances Jewel wrote:
"Real size" is the most asinine term I have ever heard. thumbsdown

Aw, I'm a fake girl.

Jan 03 13 12:13 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
JessicaB - Model
Posts: 122
Jacksonville, Florida, US


Frances Jewel wrote:
"Real size" is the most asinine term I have ever heard. thumbsdown

I didn't make it up. It's what I've been labeled by agencies, photographers, other llamas, etc.

Jan 03 13 12:13 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
JessicaB - Model
Posts: 122
Jacksonville, Florida, US


I just wanted to ask a question...sheesh.
Jan 03 13 12:15 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
angel emily
Posts: 1,020
Boston, Massachusetts, US


JessicaBaker wrote:
So we all know that fashion standard is < size 4 and plus is often > size 12. I, like many others, fall into the middle of these and are labeled "real size." I often struggle with getting work because of this. Do any of you other real size models have this problem?

I'm a real size 2.  tongue

The reason sizes 6-10 might be called "REAL SIZE" is because it's "no man's land" for any mainstream fashion modeling, so "real size" is simply a made-up term to comfort and appease women who don't fit the standards.

The fact you say you've heard this terminology from agencies supports this theory.

It doesn't mean you can't do other types of modeling -- fitness and glamour and art and (some) commercial modeling are open to you outside of these size standards.

EDIT:  As a slight tangent ...   Modeling is a job.  While we may not be able to change the industry, we can stop letting terms like this and the fashion industry define us as people.  Every once in awhile I'll see something stupid posted on Facebook, usually by a big girl, that juxtaposes a photo of a large plus size model next to a tiny thin model and it says something ignorant and obnoxious like "REAL WOMEN HAVE CURVES" or "BIGGER IS BETTER".   This is sort of akin to "reverse racism" -- cruelty is cruelty.  I like TAYLOR's post below.

Jan 03 13 12:16 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
T A Y L O R
Posts: 2,977
Austin, Texas, US


I've posted it before and I'll post it again:

http://i.imgur.com/miaOO.jpg

And Jessica, I know you didn't mean any harm by it. It's just a silly term that doesn't really mean anything. But as a fellow not agency standard model, yes, I feel the pain of not being agency standard.
Jan 03 13 12:19 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Caveman Creations
Posts: 580
Fort Worth, Texas, US


Art of the nude wrote:

Damianne wrote:
I'm a real size.

O.o

You're both professional fantasies of mine.

I resemble that remark! big_smile

Jan 03 13 12:20 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
K I C K H A M
Posts: 14,632
Los Angeles, California, US


JessicaBaker wrote:

I didn't make it up. It's what I've been labeled by agencies, photographers, other models, etc.

Really? I've never heard an agency use that term.

Jan 03 13 12:28 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Good Egg Productions
Posts: 15,379
Orlando, Florida, US


I know that as a photographer, my opinion probably isn't wanted, but why are you fighting this?

I'm too tall to be a jockey and I'm too short to be a basketball player, but I like to ride horses and I like to play basketball.  I just can't do it for many many thousands of dollars a year.
Jan 03 13 12:29 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
K I C K H A M
Posts: 14,632
Los Angeles, California, US


Your size is fine. The age thing kind of puts you out of most fashion stuff anyway (or it would be INCREDIBLY difficult.)

What kind of agency are you signed with?

I would try to get with one that focuses on commercial work-- or if you're super fit there are sports agencies as well.

I don't know much about your local market, but your height should be a plus.
Jan 03 13 12:31 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ontherocks
Posts: 22,361
Salem, Oregon, US


personally i love curves but some models do run really lean.  i guess it depends on who is doing the hiring and what they need.

i got started doing weddings because of hiring a plus-sized OMP model.
Jan 03 13 12:39 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
DarcieK
Posts: 10,874
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada


I thought it was based on measurements, no dress size. If that was the case, I'd be considered a plus-sized model...which I'm not cause I don't have the proper proportions.
Jan 03 13 12:45 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
angel emily
Posts: 1,020
Boston, Massachusetts, US


DarcieK wrote:
I thought it was based on measurements, no dress size.

5'9"+
34-24-34
dress size 2-4

"all of the above" is what's typically considered "agency standard" for FASHION.

Plus models is obviously different, but I'm unaware of what those are exactly.

Jan 03 13 12:46 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Miroslava Svoboda
Posts: 555
Seattle, Washington, US


I'm still confused what real size means.
Jan 03 13 12:48 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
K I C K H A M
Posts: 14,632
Los Angeles, California, US


DarcieK wrote:
I thought it was based on measurements, no dress size. If that was the case, I'd be considered a plus-sized model...which I'm not cause I don't have the proper proportions.

For plus I hear dress size more than measurements. But your measurements seem small for a 12. Usually what I see agencies "think" is a size 12 is around a 40 inch hip.

Jan 03 13 12:49 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Happy Guy Photos
Posts: 1,131
Upland, California, US


Jessica Baker --

JessicaBaker wrote:
So we all know that fashion standard is < size 4 and plus is often > size 12. I, like many others, fall into the middle of these and are labeled "real size." I often struggle with getting work because of this. Do any of you other real size models have this problem?

Real size (plus size and curvy) models are always welcomed when I do shoots.

Would like to see more of them on this site : )


Gabby

Jan 03 13 12:50 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Bombshell Goddess
Posts: 10
Gresham, Oregon, US


I am a real size one as well and even older. Some photographers look at me and are why do you want me to do this photo shoot I will never get to sell your pics to Playboy since well you know.
Jan 03 13 12:56 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Philipe
Posts: 5,211
Pomona, California, US


JessicaBaker wrote:
So we all know that fashion standard is < size 4 and plus is often > size 12. I, like many others, fall into the middle of these and are labeled "real size." I often struggle with getting work because of this. Do any of you other real size models have this problem?

First whats real size? Is that a type of modeling? I never heard of it.
First off, there are regular girls then there are professional models.
Professional models, fit models (including plus size) must keep their idea weight in order to continue to get work especially if the designer has a specific size that they need.. Even losing too much weight is not good if they can not fill out the clothes..
Many girls who are struggling in model don't look at the obvious.
Too old, too heavy, or not just a strong look.. Some times girls think its just
one issue when it could age and other things as well...
If you need to maintain a certain weight then do it. If its what you need to continue modeling ... If not, you can't model... Or you won't be able to get as much work..

Jan 03 13 12:59 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
DarcieK
Posts: 10,874
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada


K I C K H A M wrote:

For plus I hear dress size more than measurements. But your measurements seem small for a 12. Usually what I see agencies "think" is a size 12 is around a 40 inch hip.

I think we size things slightly different here. I'm thinking a size 12 here is the same as a size 8 or 10 there?

I have a big boobs and a long torso though so that makes me need stuff that is bigger as well so it covers everything lol

Jan 03 13 01:03 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Anna Adrielle
Posts: 18,763
Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium


***note to eveyone: "realsize" is a term invented as an alternative to "plussize" because the term plussize is getting a lot of critique sinze plussize models are hardly ever plussize women in real life. So they came up with "realsize", referring to the average size a lot of real (aka non-models) women have. It is not meant to say that size 2,4,6,8... are not "real" sizes or that women or models in that size aren't real women. Just saying smile***

OP, the plussize industry is shifting. A lot of plussize models are size 10 or even smaller, and plussize in general is shifting closer towards its "industrymeaning", namely "not straightsize", technically making anything above a large 6 "plussize".

Here are a couple examples of models that are smaller than you, but are signed with plussize agencies (well, the plussize boards of agencies) and work as plussize models.
(I made a rough visual estimate, you don't have you measurements listed)

http://www.12plusuk.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Anne4.jpg
http://www.12plusuk.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Lucy24.jpg
http://www.hughesmodels.co.uk/Images/10+/ImmeVisser/PlusModelImmeVisser-M12.jpg

Hughes (UK plussize agency) also has an entire board devoted to models with a size 6-8-10

http://www.hughesmodels.co.uk/10+DIVISION_01.html

that board has loads plussize models like Zahra, not someone who most people would define as plussize...
http://www.hughesmodels.co.uk/Images/10+/ZahraRoach/PlusModelZahraRoach-M12.jpg

On top of that, you are also on the short side (for a plus model). I'm guessing you're a 12 (in real sizes, not in vanity sizes), which looks totally different on someone who is 6 foot tall.

In conclusion, I think you could just call yourself plussize, because that is what your body looks like, and save yourself the hassle wink

PS sory for all the pictures, I find it helpful in conversations like these to pull in some visual aid smile
Jan 03 13 01:15 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
JessicaB - Model
Posts: 122
Jacksonville, Florida, US


Anna Adrielle wrote:
***note to eveyone: "realsize" is a term invented as an alternative to "plussize" because the term plussize is getting a lot of critique sinze plussize models are hardly ever plussize women in real life. So they came up with "realsize", referring to the average size a lot of real (aka non-models) women have. It is not meant to say that size 2,4,6,8... are not "real" sizes or that women or models in that size aren't real women. Just saying smile***

OP, the plussize industry is shifting. A lot of plussize models are size 10 or even smaller, and plussize in general is shifting closer towards its "industrymeaning", namely "not straightsize", technically making anything above a large 6 "plussize".

Here are a couple examples of models that are smaller than you, but are signed with plussize agencies (well, the plussize boards of agencies) and work as plussize models.
(I made a rough visual estimate, you don't have you measurements listed)

http://www.12plusuk.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Anne4.jpg
http://www.12plusuk.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Lucy24.jpg
http://www.hughesmodels.co.uk/Images/10+/ImmeVisser/PlusModelImmeVisser-M12.jpg

Hughes (UK plussize agency) also has an entire board devoted to models with a size 6-8-10

http://www.hughesmodels.co.uk/10+DIVISION_01.html

that board has loads plussize models like Zahra, not someone who most people would define as plussize...
http://www.hughesmodels.co.uk/Images/10+/ZahraRoach/PlusModelZahraRoach-M12.jpg

On top of that, you are also on the short side (for a plus model). I'm guessing you're a 12 (in real sizes, not in vanity sizes), which looks totally different on someone who is 6 foot tall.

In conclusion, I think you could just call yourself plussize, because that is what your body looks like, and save yourself the hassle wink

PS sory for all the pictures, I find it helpful in conversations like these to pull in some visual aid smile

Not a 12 at all, more like 8-10. I'd rather not call myself plus, thanks.

Jan 03 13 01:38 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
JessicaB - Model
Posts: 122
Jacksonville, Florida, US


Although there have been some uncalled for negative replies, I asked because I was wondering what type of work women in these sizes was getting.
Jan 03 13 01:39 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
JessicaB - Model
Posts: 122
Jacksonville, Florida, US


K I C K H A M wrote:
Your size is fine. The age thing kind of puts you out of most fashion stuff anyway (or it would be INCREDIBLY difficult.)

What kind of agency are you signed with?

I would try to get with one that focuses on commercial work-- or if you're super fit there are sports agencies as well.

I don't know much about your local market, but your height should be a plus.

I'm not saying I'm trying to be a fashion model. I was just curious about the type of modeling that women these sizes do.

Jan 03 13 01:40 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Leighthenubian
Posts: 2,809
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


model emily  wrote:

I'm a real size 2.  tongue

The reason sizes 6-10 might be called "REAL SIZE" is because it's "no man's land" for any mainstream fashion modeling, so "real size" is simply a made-up term to comfort and appease women who don't fit the standards.

The fact you say you've heard this terminology from agencies supports this theory.

It doesn't mean you can't do other types of modeling -- fitness and glamour and art and (some) commercial modeling are open to you outside of these size standards.

EDIT:  As a slight tangent ...   Modeling is a job.  While we may not be able to change the industry, we can stop letting terms like this and the fashion industry define us as people.  Every once in awhile I'll see something stupid posted on Facebook, usually by a big girl, that juxtaposes a photo of a large plus size model next to a tiny thin model and it says something ignorant and obnoxious like "REAL WOMEN HAVE CURVES" or "BIGGER IS BETTER".   This is sort of akin to "reverse racism" -- cruelty is cruelty.  I like TAYLOR's post below.

Well stated

Jan 03 13 01:41 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
JessicaB - Model
Posts: 122
Jacksonville, Florida, US


T A Y L O R  wrote:
And Jessica, I know you didn't mean any harm by it. It's just a silly term that doesn't really mean anything. But as a fellow not agency standard model, yes, I feel the pain of not being agency standard.

I'm glad someone here understands.

Jan 03 13 01:42 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
K I C K H A M
Posts: 14,632
Los Angeles, California, US


JessicaBaker wrote:

I'm not saying I'm trying to be a fashion model. I was just curious about the type of modeling that women these sizes do.

Oh, I know. You never said anything of the sort. smile

I was just defining as far as what work your "type" would do.

Commercial or athletic work would be my more definitive answer. But you don't have many pictures where you can really see your body, so it's hard to tell if you're suited for that type of modeling. But I keep going back to it because of your avatar. tongue

Jan 03 13 01:47 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Anna Adrielle
Posts: 18,763
Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium


JessicaBaker wrote:

Not a 12 at all, more like 8-10. I'd rather not call myself plus, thanks.

8-10? What are your measurements?

And you say "I'd rather not call myself plus, thanks" like it's a disgusting word?

Jan 03 13 01:47 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
K I C K H A M
Posts: 14,632
Los Angeles, California, US


Anna Adrielle wrote:
8-10? What are your measurements?

And you say "I'd rather not call myself plus, thanks" like it's a disgusting word?

I'm not sure she realized she was talking to a plus llama. smile

Plus llamas are not big, by any stretch, and I know some agencies take plus llamas as small as 8.

I'm thinking the worst no-mans land is size 6 US, but then again, in LA it seems like a good amount of those girls book the regular-girl-commercial crap.

Jan 03 13 01:52 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
angel emily
Posts: 1,020
Boston, Massachusetts, US


JessicaBaker wrote:
I asked because I was wondering what type of work women in these sizes was getting.

The answer is "Everything else besides fashion because those are fashion size requirements".

Jan 03 13 01:53 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
JessicaB - Model
Posts: 122
Jacksonville, Florida, US


Anna Adrielle wrote:

8-10? What are your measurements?

And you say "I'd rather not call myself plus, thanks" like it's a disgusting word?

I don't think my measurements are relevant to the original discussion. I'm not saying it's disgusting. I'm just not a fan of your unprovoked critique and the off-guess of the size. Nobody likes someone to guess their size wrong, nothing against you personally.

Jan 03 13 01:54 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
K I C K H A M
Posts: 14,632
Los Angeles, California, US


JessicaBaker wrote:

I don't think my measurements are relevant to the original discussion. I'm not saying it's disgusting. I'm just not a fan of your unprovoked critique and the off-guess of the size. Nobody likes someone to guess their size wrong, nothing against you personally.

They are because you asked what girls YOUR size can do.

So it helps to know your size.

There is a common misconception about plus size, and in different markets, plus size means different things. I think in NY it can go down to 8, whereas in LA the minimum is more like 12 and most prefer 14.

Jan 03 13 01:56 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
JessicaB - Model
Posts: 122
Jacksonville, Florida, US


K I C K H A M wrote:

I'm not sure she realized she was talking to a plus model. smile

Plus models are not big, by any stretch, and I know some agencies take plus models as small as 8.

I'm thinking the worst no-mans land is size 6 US, but then again, in LA it seems like a good amount of those girls book the regular-girl-commercial crap.

I realize she's plus. I just meant that I don't call myself plus. Nothing more, nothing less.

Jan 03 13 01:56 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
JessicaB - Model
Posts: 122
Jacksonville, Florida, US


JessicaBaker wrote:
So we all know that fashion standard is < size 4 and plus is often > size 12. I, like many others, fall into the middle of these and are labeled "real size." I often struggle with getting work because of this. Do any of you other real size llamas have this problem? What type of llamaing do most women between sizes 4-10 do?

This question is not to critique my pictures, criticize me for using a term I didn't even make up, or to provoke negativity. It's just a simple question. If you don't have anything positive to contribute, please just don't say anything.

I don't see where I said anything about "what do women my size do"

Jan 03 13 01:57 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
JessicaB - Model
Posts: 122
Jacksonville, Florida, US


K I C K H A M wrote:

They are because you asked what girls YOUR size can do.

So it helps to know your size.

There is a common misconception about plus size, and in different markets, plus size means different things. I think in NY it can go down to 8, whereas in LA the minimum is more like 12 and most prefer 14.

I didn't ask about MY size. I asked about the range of sizes from 4-10. So my specific measurements are not relevant. I completely agree that 12/14 is minimum/preferred. Therefore, that's why I asked about the range that I did.

Jan 03 13 01:58 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
K I C K H A M
Posts: 14,632
Los Angeles, California, US


JessicaBaker wrote:

I don't see where I said anything about "what do women my size do"

Here's where it's confusing: Women between sizes 4 and 10. In some places, sizes BETWEEN those fall into plus size. And that's the part where your size matters, because it seems like you are asking for yourself, and in some markets, you self proclaimed 8-10 falls into plus size.

Jan 03 13 01:59 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
K I C K H A M
Posts: 14,632
Los Angeles, California, US


JessicaBaker wrote:

I didn't ask about MY size. I asked about the range of sizes from 4-10. So my specific measurements are not relevant. I completely agree that 12/14 is minimum/preferred. Therefore, that's why I asked about the range that I did.

That's only half of what I wrote...

Jan 03 13 01:59 pm  Link  Quote 
123last   Search   Reply