login info join!
Forums > Model Colloquy > A bit of help required RE travel and escorts. Search   Reply
first12
Model
Leone P
Posts: 515
Batley, England, United Kingdom


Drew Smith Photography wrote:
OP

This photographer approached you to model for him TF for content for a book he's producing which he intends to sell for profit. Is that correct?

And he wants you to travel for 3.5hrs by train at your own expense then find your way to the shoot location, incurring further expense if necessary? Is that correct?

And you do not know what the shoot will entail. Is that correct?

If this is indeed the situation at the moment then shame on him and shame on you. You both need a kick up the arse.

Yes the photographer approached me. I assume it is TF as he refered me to his casting call in which he had stated TF. The book will be retailed,yes.
He alsi sent me some images he has aleady taken for the book and informed me there will be an MUA and hairstylist provided.

I assume he knows the distance between us as he has looked at my profile.

Leone P.

Jan 06 13 02:58 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Photographer
studio36uk
Posts: 21,438
Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna


BTHPhoto wrote:
Really?  She's 22 years old.  I understand some people have limited experience, but getting to an appointment at an address you're new to is a pretty basic task in the adult world.  I might expect someone 12 or 14 to need an assistant, but if a 22 year old told me they couldn't manage that, I'd just write them off as either a fruitcake or too immature to work with anyway.

This is the UK. There are adult people here who have never travelled any further than the town limits of whatever village they were born in for their whole life. Especially "Ooop North" where the OP is. It's not at all unusual here. Less common now than in past times, but, still, common enough. Even spoken accents can change in a very few miles because of it. Hell, I've even come across two towns with two distinct spoken accents and the only thing that separates them is the river that flows between them.

Studio36

Jan 06 13 06:50 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
KonstantKarma
Posts: 2,512
Hickory, North Carolina, US


studio36uk wrote:

This is the UK. There are adult people here who have never travelled any further than the town limits of whatever village they were born in for their whole life. Especially "Ooop North" where the OP is. It's not at all unusual here. Less common now than in past times, but, still, common enough. Even spoken accents can change in a very few miles because of it. Hell, I've even come across two towns with two distinct spoken accents and the only thing that separates them is the river that flows between them.

Studio36

It's mind-boggling.

I'm the least-travelled person I know, because I've only driven 600 miles from my hometown.

Jan 07 13 05:04 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Art of the nude
Posts: 11,748
Olivet, Michigan, US


Leone P wrote:
Hello everybody!

I have been approached to do a shoot with a photographer for a Tattoo book. From what i can see, his work is amazing but i have a few problems:
1) Location is 3.5 hours away by train and will cost £78.30 but i think it is a TF shoot.

2) I can't seem to get any references, i have contacted the few models he has credited but no reply so far.

3) I have no idea where the city is, i have never travelled more than 15 miles away alone and so i would like to take an escort which i no is usually a no-no!

Any help on these points would be fantastic! I will take all advice on board. smile

Leone P. x

Any help on all 3

It's no one's business whether you take someone with you for the trip, although that increases the cost.  Beyond that, I would think that someone with amazing work who is creating a legit book, would have loads of references, that part just sounds odd.  Plus, it would be a good idea to find out what the offered compensation is.

Jan 07 13 05:15 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
RKD Photographic
Posts: 3,255
Iserlohn, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany


KonstantKarma wrote:

It's mind-boggling.

I'm the least-travelled person I know, because I've only driven 600 miles from my hometown.

That's because you're in the US where you need a car and a full tank of gas to get to the end of your drive. big_smile

To the OP: man-up sweetie. It'll be fine. Make sure the references come through - ask for a proper release and usage agreement if he hasn't mentioned it already and talk about possible compensation if the images are destined for another book.

Just because the shoot itself is TF, that doesn't mean there shouldn't be any compensation further down the line if a book deal exists.

Jan 07 13 05:57 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
KonstantKarma
Posts: 2,512
Hickory, North Carolina, US


RKD Photographic wrote:

That's because you're in the US where you need a car and a full tank of gas to get to the end of your drive. big_smile

Tis true. I drive 30 miles (one way) to work each day. Some people do a lot more!

Jan 07 13 06:13 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Evie Wolfe
Posts: 1,126
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom


Hi!
I was very nervous the first time I travelled a long way from home to shoot. I had train changes, unfamiliar places and a huge suitcase to deal with, and I did find myself seriously considering calling off the shoot when I saw the cost of traveling!

It is natural to be nervous about doing something you have never done before - you just have to make sure it doesn't stop you from doing them anyway smile
It might seem like a good idea to take someone with you, I did the first time (I was recovering from a dislocated knee and desperately needed someone to help me with my bags) but there won't always be someone available to help you, so it is best to get out there on your own from day one, trust me.

As for the references, if you like, PM me - if I can't reference the photographer, I will know someone who can and who will hopefully get back to you before he forgets you exist smile
Jan 07 13 06:14 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Leone P
Posts: 515
Batley, England, United Kingdom


RKD Photographic wrote:
To the OP: man-up sweetie. It'll be fine. Make sure the references come through - ask for a proper release and usage agreement if he hasn't mentioned it already and talk about possible compensation if the images are destined for another book.

Just because the shoot itself is TF, that doesn't mean there shouldn't be any compensation further down the line if a book deal exists.

Thankyou! I would really like to do the shoot. I have spoken to the tog and he has clearly stated TF with no help towards travel as he promises to do a range of shots to make up for it.
He also stated it was a non profit job but as I said before,he is selling his last book for £75 a pop.

Leone P. X

Jan 07 13 06:16 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Leone P
Posts: 515
Batley, England, United Kingdom


Evie_Wolfe wrote:
Hi!
I was very nervous the first time I travelled a long way from home to shoot. I had train changes, unfamiliar places and a huge suitcase to deal with, and I did find myself seriously considering calling off the shoot when I saw the cost of traveling!

It is natural to be nervous about doing something you have never done before - you just have to make sure it doesn't stop you from doing them anyway smile
It might seem like a good idea to take someone with you, I did the first time (I was recovering from a dislocated knee and desperately needed someone to help me with my bags) but there won't always be someone available to help you, so it is best to get out there on your own from day one, trust me.

As for the references, if you like, PM me - if I can't reference the photographer, I will know someone who can and who will hopefully get back to you before he forgets you exist smile

Thankyou hun! That would be brilliant. I shall message you with his details when I can get on my laptop.
If everything checks out,i intend to go alone. Only one way to learn right? Im actually looking.forward to it.
Leone P. X

Jan 07 13 06:19 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
291
Posts: 11,911
SEQUOIA NATIONAL PARK, California, US


Leone P wrote:
Thankyou! I would really like to do the shoot. I have spoken to the tog and he has clearly stated TF with no help towards travel as he promises to do a range of shots to make up for it.
He also stated it was a non profit job but as I said before,he is selling his last book for £75 a pop.

i won't go into the escort issue (didn't you learn enough from your previous thread about them to make a judgment call on your own?) but, this is one of those situations where you need to see what is gained from your expense investment.  the logical thought process says, "not much." 

if this is indeed for a future book then the chance you receive the most stellar of the images produced is probably slim to none.  why would the photographer sully the book release by having images out there before the print release? 

as for the non-profit, print production simply doesn't work that way...somewhere along the line there is motivation for profit, it's just no profit for those working the production.  that means you.

but hey, if you want the experience and some pictures for the effort then go head on.  you'll likely get no return on your investment beyond some keepsakes and an ego boost.  if you're in this for the business aspect, that's not how it works.

Jan 07 13 08:34 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Leone P
Posts: 515
Batley, England, United Kingdom


291 wrote:

i won't go into the escort issue (didn't you learn enough from your previous thread about them to make a judgment call on your own?) but, this is one of those situations where you need to see what is gained from your expense investment.  the logical thought process says, "not much." 

if this is indeed for a future book then the chance you receive the most stellar of the images produced is probably slim to none.  why would the photographer sully the book release by having images out there before the print release? 

as for the non-profit, print production simply doesn't work that way...somewhere along the line there is motivation for profit, it's just no profit for those working the production.  that means you.

but hey, if you want the experience and some pictures for the effort then go head on.  you'll likely get no return on your investment beyond some keepsakes and an ego boost.  if you're in this for the business aspect, that's not how it works.

I have decided not to do the shoot. The reason being the expense and time being sat on a train isnt worth a tf shoot in which I will get a few pictures. Yes his work is brilliant but there is lots of fantastic photogephers in my surrounding areas.
The plus side is, I am now expanding my search for photographers that aren't local to myself. I would happily travel to a fantastic tog and get some brilliant pictures for expanding portfilios etc.

Your comments make me think I nade the right decision so thankyou.

Jan 07 13 08:51 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ChristerArt
Posts: 2,841
Cambridge, England, United Kingdom


studio36uk wrote:

This is the UK. There are adult people here who have never travelled any further than the town limits of whatever village they were born in for their whole life. Especially "Ooop North" where the OP is. It's not at all unusual here. Less common now than in past times, but, still, common enough. Even spoken accents can change in a very few miles because of it. Hell, I've even come across two towns with two distinct spoken accents and the only thing that separates them is the river that flows between them.

Studio36

John is absolutely right..

And half the time unless you're bred and born in the UK (and sometimes not even then) you won't understand them.

I lived most of my life in the US, travelled all over plus Canada, regarded English as my native language (actually grew up in Sweden) and never had *any* problems whatsoever even in the deepest south - but sometimes just getting on the Guided Bus is enough to have me think I am in Whazisistan.

Many times I have absolutely no idea what the driver (English) says to me, I just smile and say 'how're you doing? and keep going. Once we get seated I ask Jess "what did he say?" and get a translation.

Jan 07 13 08:51 am  Link  Quote 
first12   Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers