login info join!
Forums > Model Colloquy > Moving Time. Search   Reply
Model
MiaSparks
Posts: 323
Chanute, Kansas, US


Now since I'm about to turn eighteen, it's soon to be time for me to move out. Now, the point of this would I guess to ask where you think moving to would be if I really want to have a chance with my modeling taking off.

Once I turn 18, I'm going to be open to modeling, or whatever else, it all. So all genres ^-^. I can't really be picky, since I kinda will be relying on this.

So where would be the best for my modeling and me to move. I'm sure any large city would do but given being transgender I think conservative states (even in big cities) wouldn't be the best.
Jan 07 13 12:06 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Paige Morgan
Posts: 4,058
New York, New York, US


Save a nest egg before you leave. How big of one depends on what city you choose.

Also, come with a back up plan aside from modeling, as it takes a long time to book consistent paid work, and it isn't the most steady field.

Have any supportive family/friends in a larger city? It might be best to start in a place where you know at least one person/have a little bit of a support network while you are getting the hang of living on your own.
Jan 07 13 02:41 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Melodye Joy
Posts: 542
Rancho Cucamonga, California, US


My cousin is transgender as well and she has found a comfortable, affordable living off her art in Washington state, about an hr-hr and a half outside of Seattle.

Also, I can suggest the obvious, San Fran or Los Angeles, but California is quite expensive.

Florida perhaps? It seems all walks of life, both traditional, conservative & liberal seem to be there. Not sure if that's expensive like CA though, given its on the other coast.

Dallas is conservative but seems to have an open mind in comparison to some smaller TX towns, depends on where YOUR comfortable though.

And as Paige mentioned, always have a back up plan...modeling is fantastic, cray, hard work, and yes..fun! But always have college or another "normal" job lined up while your waiting on that break.

Good luck and Blessings to ya! Stay awesome smile
Jan 07 13 02:55 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
MiaSparks
Posts: 323
Chanute, Kansas, US


Paige Morgan wrote:
Save a nest egg before you leave. How big of one depends on what city you choose.

Also, come with a back up plan aside from modeling, as it takes a long time to book consistent paid work, and it isn't the most steady field.

Have any supportive family/friends in a larger city? It might be best to start in a place where you know at least one person/have a little bit of a support network while you are getting the hang of living on your own.

I actually started doing that since I was fifteen, so I have almost 2.5K. Which I know if I do go into a city, it's not that much when it comes to rent. Also when I say modeling, I'm using that term... um... loosely. So I would include porn and such.

The issue being (and I know that's partly 'cause of where I live) I can't get a 9-5 job. Knowing the biggest thing for their aversion is my gender identity. Which add in the crap job market. So Why I said I kinda am relying on this, and other things I picked up. I mean I love modeling for what it is, and it would be nice to make it a real bread winning income. I'm almost done with my cosmetology license in hair, mua, and wigs/extensions. So I have that.

I don't have any family, I know of, outside of this area. I mean besides my cousin, but again he lives in a rather conservative state, and still kinda on the small side.

Jan 07 13 03:02 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
MiaSparks
Posts: 323
Chanute, Kansas, US


Melodye Joy wrote:
My cousin is transgender as well and she has found a comfortable, affordable living off her art in Washington state, about an hr-hr and a half outside of Seattle.

Also, I can suggest the obvious, San Fran or Los Angeles, but California is quite expensive.

Florida perhaps? It seems all walks of life, both traditional, conservative & liberal seem to be there. Not sure if that's expensive like CA though, given its on the other coast.

Dallas is conservative but seems to have an open mind in comparison to some smaller TX towns, depends on where YOUR comfortable though.

And as Paige mentioned, always have a back up plan...modeling is fantastic, cray, hard work, and yes..fun! But always have college or another "normal" job lined up while your waiting on that break.

Good luck and Blessings to ya! Stay awesome smile

Florida sounds nice, I heard Chicago is very trans-friendly. I'm doing hardcore research would be the best place for me, but also give me a way to find an income. I can put up with some ignorance, if I'm making some good money.

Jan 07 13 03:13 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Paige Morgan
Posts: 4,058
New York, New York, US


MiaSparks wrote:
I actually started doing that since I was fifteen, so I have almost 2.5K. Which I know if I do go into a city, it's not that much when it comes to rent. Also when I say llamaing, I'm using that term... um... loosely. So I would include porn and such.

The issue being (and I know that's partly 'cause of where I live) I can't get a 9-5 job. Knowing the biggest thing for their aversion is my gender identity. Which add in the crap job market. So Why I said I kinda am relying on this, and other things I picked up. I mean I love llamaing for what it is, and it would be nice to make it a real bread winning income. I'm almost done with my cosmetology license in hair, mua, and wigs/extensions. So I have that.

I don't have any family, I know of, outside of this area. I mean besides my cousin, but again he lives in a rather conservative state, and still kinda on the small side.

That's a good start, but for big cities (NYC, San Francisco, LA, etc) it is just barely enough to cover security and MAYBE first month's rent, and that is on a tiny apartment or a share, most likely in a more out of the way neighborhood.


Speaking strictly for NYC, even a tiny studio way out in the boroughs can easily run $1200 a month, not including utilities.

If you are shooting for one of those cities, you'll need  3 to 4 times that much to have even a little breathing room to  have time to find a job.


Finishing your cosmetology cert is a good idea. Also check into what the state requirements are where you are planning to move, as the requirements to be considered licensed vary widely (The folks in the hair/make up forum might be helpful there).

Even adding erotic llamaing into the mix, it will still take a long while to establish yourself in any big city market.........there really isn't any surefire instant high paying niche due to the sheer volume of applicants.


Having the MUA skills and hair skills will help fill the gaps.


I know you probably want to GTFO of the conservative area as quickly as possible, but it worth the extra prep time so you can leave for good, where ever you decide to go smile

Jan 07 13 05:03 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Lanna_
Posts: 829
Seattle, Washington, US


I had a friend recently move to NY.  I don't remember exactly, but their nest egg was somewhere around or above $10k.  This was to find a place, start looking for work, and have a few months to do it.
Jan 07 13 05:06 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
MiaSparks
Posts: 323
Chanute, Kansas, US


That's a good start, but for big cities (NYC, San Francisco, LA, etc) it is just barely enough to cover security and MAYBE first month's rent, and that is on a tiny apartment or a share, most likely in a more out of the way neighborhood.


Speaking strictly for NYC, even a tiny studio way out in the boroughs can easily run $1200 a month, not including utilities.

If you are shooting for one of those cities, you'll need  3 to 4 times that much to have even a little breathing room to  have time to find a job.


Finishing your cosmetology cert is a good idea. Also check into what the state requirements are where you are planning to move, as the requirements to be considered licensed vary widely (The folks in the hair/make up forum might be helpful there).

Even adding erotic modeling into the mix, it will still take a long while to establish yourself in any big city market.........there really isn't any surefire instant high paying niche due to the sheer volume of applicants.


Having the MUA skills and hair skills will help fill the gaps.


I know you probably want to GTFO of the conservative area as quickly as possible, but it worth the extra prep time so you can leave for good, where ever you decide to go smile

I figured it wouldn't be much, but thank you very much for the help/advice

Jan 07 13 06:17 pm  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers