login info join!
Forums > Model Colloquy > do the photographers can read? Search   Reply
first123
Photographer
Leighthenubian
Posts: 2,845
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Viktorija Sketika wrote:
I'm fluent in my mother language Latvian,  I am fluent in Russian to,
I'm sorry about my English, its My 2 y in North America, but hopefully, the message was clear, and THKS.  For some advices already.

Don't let that get you down. I think you are doing well with English. Some people born here can barely string together a proper sentence despite English being their first language.

Jan 10 13 08:12 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
AJ_In_Atlanta
Posts: 12,774
Atlanta, Georgia, US


Creative Image wrote:
Has anyone here that has been making fun of her ever lived in a country that does not have English as a native language?  I have.  Germany.  And no one EVER made fun of me other than maybe a chuckle from someone I knew well.  On the contrary, people were always helpful, correcting me in very gentle ways.

But that's this forum: not pictures or it didn't happen, but English or you're stupid. 

Thanks to those who really helped her.

Edit:  Oh, and I would ad that specking a language not your native one, even on an okay level, is not the same as writing it.  That's much tougher

Yes, try it in France or Japan and they will ask you to speak English.  We are not the only country that gets annoyed about it.

Jan 10 13 08:16 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Avatar Shots
Posts: 74
Los Angeles, California, US


Некоторые людей как раз не заботят и попытаются take advantage of вы. Проигнорируйте их и последуйте за вашим сердцем.
Jan 10 13 08:18 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Dan OMell
Posts: 1,335
Ufa, Bashkortostan, Russia


English is like dollar without euro, and approved for payment or exchange virtually  everywhere.
Don't try to be any currency on the planet, you never gonna be THAT FUCKING FLUENT.
How many languages we have at the moment?  It's a different story if you gonna spend your next 30 years in some different place.
Other than that don't share the same position North Korea has right now. I believe they don't accept or exchange dollars. How long they gonna survive? And where is the fucking Soviet Union right now? Gone! It didn't accept dollars (officially) 3smile

Language is a part of culture, but there is no culture without people. People will not survive without communication or money.
Don't fight this battle. English gonna win. But it gonna be the corrupted/improved (depends who looks at it) one, anyways.
Jan 10 13 08:46 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Leighthenubian
Posts: 2,845
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Dan OMell wrote:
English is like dollar without euro, and approved for payment or exchange virtually  everywhere.
Don't try to be any currency on the planet, you never gonna be THAT FUCKING FLUENT.
How many languages we have at the moment?  It's a different story if you gonna spend your next 30 years in some different place.
Other than that don't share the same position North Korea has right now. I believe they don't accept or exchange dollars. How long they gonna survive? And where is the fucking Soviet Union right now? Gone! It didn't accept dollars (officially) 3smile

Language is a part of culture, but there is no culture without people. People will not survive without communication or money.
Don't fight this battle. English gonna win. But it gonna be the corrupted/improved (depends who looks at it) one, anyways.

ummm what?

Jan 10 13 08:57 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Sand Angel Photography
Posts: 569
Phoenix, Arizona, US


Illuminate wrote:
ummm what?

Based on some of these replies it seems we have some good weed being used in the US.

Jan 10 13 09:10 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
SPRINGHEEL
Posts: 38,192
Gibraltar, Michigan, US


Dan OMell wrote:
English is like dollar without euro, and approved for payment or exchange virtually  everywhere.
Don't try to be any currency on the planet, you never gonna be THAT FUCKING FLUENT.
How many languages we have at the moment?  It's a different story if you gonna spend your next 30 years in some different place.
Other than that don't share the same position North Korea has right now. I believe they don't accept or exchange dollars. How long they gonna survive? And where is the fucking Soviet Union right now? Gone! It didn't accept dollars (officially) 3smile

Language is a part of culture, but there is no culture without people. People will not survive without communication or money.
Don't fight this battle. English gonna win. But it gonna be the corrupted/improved (depends who looks at it) one, anyways.

It just gets better and better

Jan 10 13 02:12 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Art of the nude
Posts: 11,868
Olivet, Michigan, US


Dan OMell wrote:
English is like dollar without euro, and approved for payment or exchange virtually  everywhere.
Don't try to be any currency on the planet, you never gonna be THAT FUCKING FLUENT.
How many languages we have at the moment?  It's a different story if you gonna spend your next 30 years in some different place.
Other than that don't share the same position North Korea has right now. I believe they don't accept or exchange dollars. How long they gonna survive? And where is the fucking Soviet Union right now? Gone! It didn't accept dollars (officially) 3smile

Language is a part of culture, but there is no culture without people. People will not survive without communication or money.
Don't fight this battle. English gonna win. But it gonna be the corrupted/improved (depends who looks at it) one, anyways.

Illuminate wrote:
ummm what?

Sums up my thoughts nicely.

Jan 10 13 02:39 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
RKD Photographic
Posts: 3,265
Iserlohn, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany


Illuminate wrote:

ummm what?

I think he means that Standard English will eventually become the universal language (I think basic Chinese will give it a run for it's money in the long-term, though), just the way the US$ is widely regarded as an international currency.

Jan 11 13 04:38 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Phil W
Posts: 20
Florence, South Carolina, US


Caustic Disco wrote:
english isn't her first language, obviously ya'll didn't read her profile lol.

I didn't realize I had to do research to understand her post.

Jan 11 13 04:45 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Azimuth Arts
Posts: 1,489
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


AJScalzitti wrote:

Yes, try it in France or Japan and they will ask you to speak English.  We are not the only country that gets annoyed about it.

Maybe. But in those countries many speak a second language which is often English so they can make such a request. How many would be in this thread if we had to switch to Latvian?

Jan 11 13 05:00 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
KMP
Posts: 4,778
Houston, Texas, US


RKD Photographic wrote:

I think he means that Standard English will eventually become the universal language (I think basic Chinese will give it a run for it's money in the long-term, though), just the way the US$ is widely regarded as an international currency.

Chinese? not for a while...... I say Spanish is the biggie now days...

I guess the OP could have asked the question in her native language.  At least that would have weeded out the idiots...

Jan 11 13 05:41 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
denis071
Posts: 96
Sarajevo, Federacija Bosna i Hercegovina, Bosnia and Herzegovina


RKD Photographic wrote:

I think he means that Standard English will eventually become the universal language (I think basic Chinese will give it a run for it's money in the long-term, though), just the way the US$ is widely regarded as an international currency.

even in the US more people speaks spanish than english (according to numbers).

but you are right, english is international communication language and whoever is trying to do anything out of boundaries of his/hers country should know at least some of english. or french. or spanish. or chinese these days.

Jan 11 13 07:49 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ArtisticGlamour
Posts: 3,846
Phoenix, Arizona, US


Viktorija Sketika wrote:
I'm new here, and just wondering did the photographers are able to read profile of models. After I get posted in MM I got invited to fiends or shots as nude!!! (tons of invites) As far  I have seen only some nude shots are tasteful, but the tons of them are cheap. Its in my profile no nude?
Please shear some ideas.
Models, how u surviving thru this?

I love your accent, and would have no problem communicating with you. smile

Jan 11 13 05:17 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
the lonely photographer
Posts: 1,881
Beverly Hills, California, US


how much clearer can she be in her profile checkboxes..no  means  no...
Jan 11 13 05:29 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Dan OMell
Posts: 1,335
Ufa, Bashkortostan, Russia


Dan OMell wrote:
English is like dollar without euro, and approved for payment or exchange virtually  everywhere.
Don't try to be any currency on the planet, you never gonna be THAT FUCKING FLUENT.
How many languages we have at the moment?  It's a different story if you gonna spend your next 30 years in some different place.
Other than that don't share the same position North Korea has right now. I believe they don't accept or exchange dollars. How long they gonna survive? And where is the fucking Soviet Union right now? Gone! It didn't accept dollars (officially) 3smile

Language is a part of culture, but there is no culture without people. People will not survive without communication or money.
Don't fight this battle. English gonna win. But it gonna be the corrupted/improved (depends who looks at it) one, anyways.

Illuminate wrote:
ummm what?

Art of the nude wrote:
Sums up my thoughts nicely.

hehehe... it worked nicely! smile a foreigner took my long-ranting messing hint/point momentarily! don't you see I used the context to prove my point.  it's how the normal english sounds for many people abroad -- blah-blah-blah...

sincerely yours,
non-smoking, stone cold sober, never using ANY drugs, doing 20 pullups and 50 pushups.
but enough about me, suckers! smile

RKD Photographic wrote:
I think he means that Standard English will eventually become the universal language (I think basic Chinese will give it a run for it's money in the long-term, though), just the way the US$ is widely regarded as an international currency.

thanks for the proper translation! smile
and I totally agree about chinese in the long-run. hopefully, VERY-VERY long... not in my lifetime.

Jan 11 13 06:12 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
matt-h2
Posts: 523
Oakland, California, US


the lonely photographer wrote:
how much clearer can she be in her profile checkboxes..no  means  no...

About 65,000 posts above yours that suggest why that's not the case. I can add some data points as well. Lots of models I've shot with (nudes) have the "no" box checked.

Those who politely mention in their blurbs that they don't do nudes make it clear.

Those who scream I DON'T DO NUDES! DON'T ASK OR I WILL BLOCK YOU OR MAYBE MELT....well...whatever.

Jan 11 13 06:24 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Lars R Peterson
Posts: 1,073
Seattle, Washington, US


KevinMcGowanPhotography wrote:

Chinese? not for a while...... I say Spanish is the biggie now days...

I guess the OP could have asked the question in her native language.  At least that would have weeded out the idiots...

Some things are easy... some things are better.
I think English has become fairly globally accepted as the standard for business language for a very good reason. It's not the easiest... but it actually does make the most sense as far as describing the kinds of things that business people in the 21st century talk about. And technical things, and actually... anything. It is a very descriptive language, and makes more sense.
Spanish is more popular, because it's easy. But it is not as descriptive. If you take a poem in English about the complexities of beauty... and translate it into another language... namely Spanish: It will lose most of it's poetry, and end up sounding like: "I like pretty, because it's pretty."
Do it in Chinese... and you need a three foot long keyboard to type it, and when I read it - I may get a different meaning than YOU got.

Some people may not like English because it does not follow the simple and easy rules that their archaic language from 4,000 years ago follows... but I will argue that it is the most modern and complete language for satisfying the needs of a complex and technical culture such as the world we live in today.

I will also add, that even though English is my native language... if I were to join a website that was hosted in Spain, and the site was written in Spanish, and the vast majority of their users spoke Spanish... then I would do my best to communicate in Spanish while on that particular website. And, I would also expect a fair amount of ridicule from those who spoke Spanish better then I do... because in EVERY single situation where I have been in a foreign country, and spoke their language... I have been ridiculed for my butchering of their language.

It happens. People are haters. Speak like I do, or get the fuck out.

Except for English. Go to any country in the world... and somebody there speaks English. If your country has a dollar... you should speak English.

English is the best.

And... not that bullshit, crap-of-a-language that they speak in Brittain... I'm talking about REAL English. The kind that us Americans speak.

So there.

Jan 11 13 06:31 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
I M N Photography
Posts: 2,330
New York, New York, US


Dan OMell wrote:
English is like dollar without euro, and approved for payment or exchange virtually  everywhere.
Don't try to be any currency on the planet, you never gonna be THAT FUCKING FLUENT.
How many languages we have at the moment?  It's a different story if you gonna spend your next 30 years in some different place.
Other than that don't share the same position North Korea has right now. I believe they don't accept or exchange dollars. How long they gonna survive? And where is the fucking Soviet Union right now? Gone! It didn't accept dollars (officially) 3smile

Language is a part of culture, but there is no culture without people. People will not survive without communication or money.
Don't fight this battle. English gonna win. But it gonna be the corrupted/improved (depends who looks at it) one, anyways.

You lost me at "like Dollar without Euro"...

Jan 12 13 04:43 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
I M N Photography
Posts: 2,330
New York, New York, US


Viktorija Sketika wrote:
I'm new here, and just wondering did the photographers are able to read profile of models.
After I get posted in MM I got invited to fiends or shots as nude!!! (tons of invites)
As far  I have seen only some nude shots are tasteful, but the tons of them are cheap.
Its in my profile no nude?
Please shear some ideas.
Models, how u surviving thru this?

I think the evidence for the confusion is quite clear.
Before you complain about others not understanding you, you should make every effort to make sure you are communicating clearly.

I speak, read, and write two additional languages, and can read and write another one, but I would not dare to complain about someone not understanding me in those languages, because I am sure I don't communicate well 100% of the time.

All communication issues aside, regardless of what was written when the profile was first created, if a look is right for someone's project, then it does not hurt to ask.

A LOT of models started out wanting to do commercial print and runway ONLY, but eventually dabbled in some nude art as a way to expand their options.

Don't get mad. Just say, "No thank you", and move on.

They are just doing what photographers do.

Asking is the quickest way of getting something. Doing it telepathically is not.

Jan 12 13 04:50 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
RKD Photographic
Posts: 3,265
Iserlohn, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany


Lars R Peterson wrote:
And... not that bullshit, crap-of-a-language that they speak in Brittain... I'm talking about REAL English. The kind that us Americans speak.

So there.

Get back in yer box, ya Filthy Colonial Rebel Scum... big_smile

Jan 12 13 05:01 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jason Combs Photography
Posts: 636
Vicksburg, Mississippi, US


Wow...this thread went off topic.

OP...on the flip side of your original topic, I've had lots of models respond to an 18+ casting call and they all say "no nudes" in their profile, and have no nudes in their port.
Jan 12 13 05:28 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
I M N Photography
Posts: 2,330
New York, New York, US


By the way, every new profile gets an avalanche of messages from the same crop of newbie predators.

Wait until your profile is older.

Those types of offers will eventually diminish.
Jan 12 13 05:43 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
imcFOTO
Posts: 579
Bothell, Washington, US


Viktorija Sketika wrote:
I'm new here, and just wondering did the photographers are able to read profile of models.
After I get posted in MM I got invited to fiends or shots as nude!!! (tons of invites)
As far  I have seen only some nude shots are tasteful, but the tons of them are cheap.
Its in my profile no nude?
Please shear some ideas.
Models, how u surviving thru this?

Unfortunately many photographers will ignore that your profile says no nudes. Sometimes it is worth asking because a model may not want to always do nudes but might in the right circumstances. Your profile is very clear but you could reword it to read something like:

"I appreciate your interest but let me be very clear that I have absolutely no interest in shooting any type of nudity. This is not negotiable - so please do not make it awkward by asking."

Then if someone is still insistent - just ignore those messages - and block them if necessary.

Jan 12 13 06:00 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Yan Tan Tethera
Posts: 4,178
Biggleswade, England, United Kingdom


RKD Photographic wrote:
Get back in yer box, ya Filthy Colonial Rebel Scum... big_smile

+100 although it did make me laugh

I'm living and working in France at the moment and my Company has English as its official language. But it's not the English that I speak. We jokingly call it Frenglish. It's a true lingua Franca than colloquial English. In fact I have had to learn Frenglish ( and French ) to be understood when we are talking very precise points. My French colleagues understand my German colleagues speaking Frenglish better than they understand me because Frenglish has a very small technical and commercial vocabulary and my enlarged vocabulary is not widely understood.

Do you know what the French for cut and paste is. It's exactly the same but pronounced cut and past.

I just ordered some crevettes in a French supermarket this morning and the lady who served me said what a good French accent I had.

Which really made my day.

So OP just keep working at your English and it will get better and better.

Jan 12 13 06:04 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
imcFOTO
Posts: 579
Bothell, Washington, US


Jason Combs Photography wrote:
Wow...this thread went off topic.

OP...on the flip side of your original topic, I've had lots of models respond to an 18+ casting call and they all say "no nudes" in their profile, and have no nudes in their port.

That is still ok. I guess there was time in every nude model's career when she wasn't a nude model. It's certainly something that should be clarified though. I have shot partial and full nude with models who had "no nudes" in their profile. I figure you can always ask someone - and if you do it respectfully and the vibes are right - it sometimes happens.

Jan 12 13 06:04 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
imcFOTO
Posts: 579
Bothell, Washington, US


the lonely photographer wrote:
how much clearer can she be in her profile checkboxes..no  means  no...

It doesn't always ... and yes doesn't mean a guarantee yes. That's the problem with simple binary settings.

But her profile is clear in teh text and people should respect that for sure.

Jan 12 13 06:07 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Dan OMell
Posts: 1,335
Ufa, Bashkortostan, Russia


MnPhoto wrote:
You lost me at "like Dollar without Euro"...

3smile

Jan 12 13 03:54 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
rp_photo
Posts: 42,490
Houston, Texas, US


Becks wrote:
Do the models can write? wink

I can has cheeseburger?

Jan 12 13 04:01 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Ivan Galaviz - Photo
Posts: 891
Juárez, Chihuahua, Mexico


The level of ignorance here is just too damn high! smile
Jan 12 13 04:04 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
KMP
Posts: 4,778
Houston, Texas, US


Lars R Peterson wrote:
Some things are easy... some things are better.
I think English has become fairly globally accepted as the standard for business language for a very good reason. It's not the easiest... but it actually does make the most sense as far as describing the kinds of things that business people in the 21st century talk about. And technical things, and actually... anything. It is a very descriptive language, and makes more sense.
Spanish is more popular, because it's easy. But it is not as descriptive. If you take a poem in English about the complexities of beauty... and translate it into another language... namely Spanish: It will lose most of it's poetry, and end up sounding like: "I like pretty, because it's pretty."
Do it in Chinese... and you need a three foot long keyboard to type it, and when I read it - I may get a different meaning than YOU got.

Some people may not like English because it does not follow the simple and easy rules that their archaic language from 4,000 years ago follows... but I will argue that it is the most modern and complete language for satisfying the needs of a complex and technical culture such as the world we live in today.

I will also add, that even though English is my native language... if I were to join a website that was hosted in Spain, and the site was written in Spanish, and the vast majority of their users spoke Spanish... then I would do my best to communicate in Spanish while on that particular website. And, I would also expect a fair amount of ridicule from those who spoke Spanish better then I do... because in EVERY single situation where I have been in a foreign country, and spoke their language... I have been ridiculed for my butchering of their language.

It happens. People are haters. Speak like I do, or get the fuck out.

Except for English. Go to any country in the world... and somebody there speaks English. If your country has a dollar... you should speak English.

English is the best.

And... not that bullshit, crap-of-a-language that they speak in Brittain... I'm talking about REAL English. The kind that us Americans speak.

So there.

Damn Brits..LOL..

I guess that's why the most famous operas have been written in English...oh wait, they weren't..smile

Regarding doing your best to speak the language of the site you posted to....How is your Latvian?  Mine is terrible!  sad

Jan 12 13 05:38 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
KevBro Photography
Posts: 170
Irving, Texas, US


Ummmm.............Never mind.
Jan 12 13 05:51 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
AVD AlphaDuctions
Posts: 10,533
Gatineau, Quebec, Canada


Avatar Shots wrote:
Некоторые людей как раз не заботят и попытаются take advantage of вы. Проигнорируйте их и последуйте за вашим сердцем.

Jan 12 13 09:03 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
BCADULTART
Posts: 1,986
Boston, Massachusetts, US


Sorry, but the OP's use of English is not very good, but the www's use of English is not very good either...  I understood what she was trying to say
and after living and working as a photographer in the U.S., France, Israel, Ukraine, Russia and China I would suggest cutting her some slack.  When I
Lived and worked in Moscow, my secretary could read, write and simultaneously
Translate to and from English, French, German, Spanish and Mandarin.

Chuck
Jan 12 13 09:17 pm  Link  Quote 
first123   Search   Reply